Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: 8/1: Why? & Who?

Great article again Al. Lindsey is gonna crash and burn, from the stories on her this last week, shes doomed

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    Why Ouimet Left/Who Grier Is? Lindsay's Fully Loaded Aftermath, Universal: Not So Fast and Furious, More... Discuss it all here!
    Oh... so now we know who that mysterious black guy emceeing the TDS 5th anniversary celebration ceremony really was...

• Lost in Wonderland

Personally again I would love to see a new show instead of the BBB. But I can see the appeal to little girls--- but if Disney is meant for the whole family, what about adults who want to dress up too?

Personally I would love to be "made up" like a Princess and I am 23! lol. Although I am sure the prices would be outrageous and not worth it.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    Are we calling Snow White a whore now? They're dressing them like Princesses, not Cher.
    Quote Originally Posted by grewupdown
    Having kids dress up like princesses is a lot different than Jon Bonet who was being tarted up and then trotted out in front of people to be judged on her beauty. Child beauty pageants, on the other hand, are obscene. They little girls in those pageants are dressed/made up to look like whores and then paraded out in front of a bunch of adults and given a score on how they look...sick really.
    Um.... duh. To repeat myself, there seems to be a difference between Club Libby Ho and the Princess thing at Disneyland. At least, thats what it looks like from the pictures I've seen of the Princess thing at WDW versus the things that come out of that store in Downtown Disney.

Someone took offense to calling that place build-a-whore, which is when the JonBenet thing came into the conversation. Not about the BBB version.

I'd still rather have a show in that space than the BBB thing us childless freaks can't participate in. Excuse me for enjoying Disneyland too, even though I don't have kids yet.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• LoisAlene

What's going to happen when they have a little girl who wants to be a Jedi? Will they let her participate? I'd hate to think that the fun is going to be divided along rigid gender lines.
    I know more than a few guys who wouldn't mind being made up like a princess either.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Momzilla59
    What's going to happen when they have a little girl who wants to be a Jedi?
    I think she becomes a Jedette.

Part of the fun of Disney is being an adult and acting like a kid. So many grown ups ascew the childish parts of Disney as being only meant for real children, I still like to have my pictures taken with the princesses and I don't have kids. The whole meet'n'greet thing is a little manufactured and it's much more magical to run into a character at random, but that's just not reasonable for all the people that make Disney Land a once in a lifetime trip, they can't just hope they'll run into Cinderella, they'd rather have a guarenteed place to find her.
    And even if they aren't your kids, it's pretty hard hearted to not get a little thrill from seeing little girls so happy about being a princess or little boys getting to be jedi's. Even people who aren't kids were kids once.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: 8/1: Why? & Who?

Thanks Al for another fantastic update!

Here's my take on Grier. Matt Ouimet did a very good job at DLR and it is somewhat surprising and sad to see him go but I think the best is yet to come. My congratulations go out to the very smart people who chose Ed Grier. I am very impressed with him and where he comes from in the company. I will exppumd further below.

From what I have read things are different in Tokyo than they are at any Disney park around the globe. To The OLC the brand of Disney is set atop a pedestal higher than the tallest spire on the castle. It's almost at an Obsessive-compulsive level. Disney is a religion, Walt Disney is God and Disneyland is the house of worship. To these folks Disney is the greatest thing on the God-given earth and the greatest gift America has blessed the world with. No expense is spared over there to give guests the greatest themed experience possible. Every year there are at least three new daytime parades. Also worth noting is every Christmas a new parade rolls down Main Street and each year ends with another themed parade (all new). No detail is left out. I've heard that the park is by far the most upkept and cleanest Disney resort in the world.

My feelings on anyone that comes over from Tokyo are based on what I said above. I am even more impressed by Grier's resume from Al. Under Grier's watch, he pressed the "Emeril button" and "kicked it up a notch"! I can only expect great things from Grier at Disneyland. the folks in Orlando must be pretty steamed that they never got a shot at Grier.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• secure all cargo

sounds like Strategic Planning all over again

This whole thing about Rasulo establishing a global structure for the Parks & Resorts Division that effectively takes the power from the individual resorts just reminds me of Peter Murphy and the former Strategic Planning Division that had way too much say over every single branch of the Disney Company. This division was thought to have repressed creativity at the Company. One of Iger's 1st and best moves as new CEO was to dissolve this division and let go of Murphy.

But now it seems Iger has turned 180 by approving what appears to be this same stiffling management style for the Parks. Go figure.

Re: sounds like Strategic Planning all over again

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid
    This whole thing about Rasulo establishing a global structure for the Parks & Resorts Division that effectively takes the power from the individual resorts just reminds me of Peter Murphy and the former Strategic Planning Division that had way too much say over every single branch of the Disney Company. This division was thought to have repressed creativity at the Company. One of Iger's 1st and best moves as new CEO was to dissolve this division and let go of Murphy.

But now it seems Iger has turned 180 by approving what appears to be this same stiffling management style for the Parks. Go figure.
    Well, yeah. Jay Rasulo came from Strat Planning. In the early 90s there was a club in Strat Planning...Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs, Dave Stainton and Peter Murphy.

They basically teamed up and supported each other and helped each other get promoted. Jay got the theme parks, Tom became CFO, Dave got Animation and Peter ran Strat Planning. These guys (as a group or as individuals) were involved in some way in the destruction of traditional animation, the purchase of ABC Family, the creation of Go Network, the construction of three theme parks on the cheap, countless bad films, failed merchandise endeavors, and dozens of sub-par theme park attractions. Eisner allowed them to do it.

Now Dave and Peter are gone, but for some reason Jay and Tom hang on. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    Thanks Al for another fantastic update!

Here's my take on Grier. Matt Ouimet did a very good job at DLR and it is somewhat surprising and sad to see him go but I think the best is yet to come. My congratulations go out to the very smart people who chose Ed Grier. I am very impressed with him and where he comes from in the company. I will exppumd further below.

From what I have read things are different in Tokyo than they are at any Disney park around the globe. To The OLC the brand of Disney is set atop a pedestal higher than the tallest spire on the castle. It's almost at an Obsessive-compulsive level. Disney is a religion, Walt Disney is God and Disneyland is the house of worship. To these folks Disney is the greatest thing on the God-given earth and the greatest gift America has blessed the world with. No expense is spared over there to give guests the greatest themed experience possible. Every year there are at least three new daytime parades. Also worth noting is every Christmas a new parade rolls down Main Street and each year ends with another themed parade (all new). No detail is left out. I've heard that the park is by far the most upkept and cleanest Disney resort in the world.

Not into hyperbole much, right?

While I agree that TDL (even having never visited) is the cleanest, best kept and best run Disney parks in the world, I think you're just a tad (or maybe a Tom and a Brian too) over the top.

TDL, while far and away the leader in special, seasonal entertainment offerings, does recycle things (PAGING TDLFAN TO THE THREAD!) ... I know they've used the same parades, some with minor changes, the same shows (like Cinderellabration and Mystic Rhythms ...is that one right TDLFAN?). I'm almost 100% positive they do NOT have a brand new Christmas Parade every year either.

Again, I wish the USA parks were run the same as the OLC runs its two parks, but I think you're really placing the resort on a pedestal that might as well be Mount Fuji!

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    My feelings on anyone that comes over from Tokyo are based on what I said above. I am even more impressed by Grier's resume from Al. Under Grier's watch, he pressed the "Emeril button" and "kicked it up a notch"! I can only expect great things from Grier at Disneyland. the folks in Orlando must be pretty steamed that they never got a shot at Grier.
    Never got a shot? Are you serious? Did you even read Al's report?

Ed got his start at WDW and spent the first half of his career in finance at WDW!!! When he finally moved over to operations (first at Disney-MGM, then at Epcot briefly) both parks were in major downward spirals. He wasn't exactly a savior at either stop. He did nothing to improve the guest experience or to exceed any expectations except his bosses who demanded more cost-cutting measures.

And during his VERY, VERY, VERY brief time at TDL, he basically was TWDC's overseer for 'the brand' with the OLC. He didn't make the decision's to add one attraction. Not one. The OLC execs did. He didn't make the decision to add a Cirque venue and another Disney-branded hotel. The Japanese execs at OLC did. He may have helped sell them on the ideas, after all Disney will get a chunk of the $$$ generated. But you're very misguided if you believe Ed Grier was the reason why TDL and TDS are the amazing places they are.

Re: sounds like Strategic Planning all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Well, yeah. Jay Rasulo came from Strat Planning. In the early 90s there was a club in Strat Planning...Jay Rasulo, Tom Staggs, Dave Stainton and Peter Murphy.

They basically teamed up and supported each other and helped each other get promoted. Jay got the theme parks, Tom became CFO, Dave got Animation and Peter ran Strat Planning. These guys (as a group or as individuals) were involved in some way in the destruction of traditional animation, the purchase of ABC Family, the creation of Go Network, the construction of three theme parks on the cheap, countless bad films, failed merchandise endeavors, and dozens of sub-par theme park attractions. Eisner allowed them to do it.

Now Dave and Peter are gone, but for some reason Jay and Tom hang on. Why?
    Because they're good at corporate politics, I surmise.

But Jay is on the firing line. The Shanghai negotiations haven't gone well and Disney finally realizes yet again too late that it built a 1/2 day park in Hong Kong.

Jay has arranged an exec team full of brown-nosers, the WDW and DLP groups being the worst, and his exec power-play cost DL its president.

He's not on solid footing at all.

Tom is. ... at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11
    I'm okay with Remember & Parade staying. It takes time & money to make new fireworks & parades every year. Sooner or later they're gonna run out of ideas. So I'm glad that they're "pacing" themselves. I'm sure Disney's fireworks & parade concerns will be focused elsewhere- they got plenty to worry about.
    Couldn't let this comment slip by ... if Disney is 'going to run out of ideas' -- even on just the element of parades and fireworks -- I'd say it's time to shutter the parks and put up Super WalMarts instead!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of the whole BBB thing, but if it must be done, why tear apart the Fantasyland Theatre to do it? Cookie decorating, pictures, short stage shows...sounds like what they did at the Big Thunder Ranch during Christmas. That was an appropriate area for it, IMO. Tearing apart a theater to rehash a similar concept is bizarre to say the least. The BBB would be more appropriate at the WoD store, but I guess it would be too close to Libby Lu. (I always have to laugh because that was the name of one of my grama's dogs...heehee )

Anyway, I'm a little more excited about the Jedi Training Academy, but this begs the question...Is this the appropriate place? Will they still hold concerts & shows there? There's a lot of real estate in TL *cough* Innoventions *cough* that could be used for something new.

Quote Originally Posted by adormouse
    Personally again I would love to see a new show instead of the BBB. But I can see the appeal to little girls--- but if Disney is meant for the whole family, what about adults who want to dress up too?

Personally I would love to be "made up" like a Princess and I am 23! lol. Although I am sure the prices would be outrageous and not worth it.
    Even if you wanted to, there's a "No Costume" Policy at DL for adults, so this will be exclusively for young kids.
    <o>

So they're planning a change to the Christmas Fantasy Parade? How long has it been going? A friend gave me a video tape of it back from his 1995 visit. And I was aghast last year to see it still going. Believe me, I'm was thrilled to see it "live" but was more than shocked to see it still the same.

If Disney changes a name of a parade...does it change the content? Or simply re-badge an existing one? Anyone know of any new content? Can we expect a new parade song? I quite like the Christmas Fantasy song.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacepotato/

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast