Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: 8/22: The Party's Over

Quote Originally Posted by America Stings
    From page one of the update: "the marketing folks are terrified that the winning family for the few lavish prizes they'd like to tout to the media will be a gangster with a shaved head, his common law bride with tattooed-on eyebrows, and their gaggle of thuggish brats in Raiders jerseys."

How typical of you to paint the portrait of a stereotypical Mexican-American "cholo" family. (And now of course you don't mention ethnicity/nationality/race/etc, but, come on, the meaning is clear.)

What about a "punk rocker with a shaved head and Swastika tattoos, his common law bride with tattoos on her lower back and bleached-to-death brittle blonde hair, and their gaggle of dirty brats in Nascar shirts?"

Come on. Just once.
    I guess a family from Magic Mountain wins? Wow, that is one way to boost Six Flags stock...

You forgot to mention the "64" parked in the Goofy lot.

• Vehicle rotating backward

his East Coast pedigree certainly isn't winning him any points with the Disneylanders who are always quick to roll their eyes at anyone from Florida.
    Which Disneylanders? The ones that have been there five weeks? Get over it, Al. If there's so few traditional Disneyland CMs left that the Canoe Races were a ghost town, then I seriously doubt there's any real arched eyebrows at bringing in someone from WDW to steer the ship at DL.

The idea that Disney chooses their own pick of hundred millionth guest or whatever is pretty embarassing, though. I'd hate to think that I need to follow Disney Look just to win a nice prize in what was allegedly a random event. Pro wrestling isn't even as fixed.

Meanwhile, both Al and "Marcie" at another board think that Rasulo is well over his head running theme parks, so I might as well enjoy them now before they go downhill again. Sigh.

EDIT: Hey, I see a Horizons (extinct EPCOT ride) reference in those Innoventions pictures!

• Man of Logic and Reason

From page one of the update: "the marketing folks are terrified that the winning family for the few lavish prizes they'd like to tout to the media will be a gangster with a shaved head, his common law bride with tattooed-on eyebrows, and their gaggle of thuggish brats in Raiders jerseys."

How typical of you to paint the portrait of a stereotypical Mexican-American "cholo" family. (And now of course you don't mention ethnicity/nationality/race/etc, but, come on, the meaning is clear.)

What about a "punk rocker with a shaved head and Swastika tattoos, his common law bride with tattoos on her lower back and bleached-to-death brittle blonde hair, and their gaggle of dirty brats in Nascar shirts?"

Come on. Just once.
    Dude...I pictured the second description (punk rocker, 18 inch pumps, etc.) when I read Al's description not your immediate assumption of a Mexican family. You kinda went a little crazy in the over analyzing department. In all honesty the majority of winners will probably be of Hispanic decent as Caucasians make up the minority in SoCal (if you wanna play a numbers game).

• back in Austin

Al was sort of askin' for it with that description, though, you gotta admit. I didn't envision any particular ethnicity, just a hint of better-than-thou attitude on Al's part.

He's gotta know he's got it coming when he writes something like that.

• back in Austin

Nice update, by the way. Thanks, Al, as always.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Which Disneylanders? The ones that have been there five weeks? Get over it, Al.
    I think he means the TDA people who have been there longer, not the front of the line CMs.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

First and foremost, I really enjoy your articles and look forward to reading them. Don’t always agree with everything, but even then I still enjoy them. A couple of comments.

<<<One of the first changes was made to the lower level prizes in the Dreams sweepstakes giveaway. Stung by online criticism, the marketing gurus have backed down from their plan of filling in hundreds of thousands of "dreams" with free cheeseburgers, churros or soft drinks. In their place, they'll now be giving out hundreds of thousands of "Dream Ears" and "Dream Lanyards" to fulfill the quota of the lowest tier prizes. The Dream Lanyard will come with just two pins, and the Dream Ears will be pre-embroidered on the back to prevent winners from taking up space in the Mad Hatter shop trying to get their name embroidered on the hat. But, hey, at least they're free, right?>>>

Nice backtrack. So now(or is it always was) the lowest prize is ears or lanyard. Sounds better than what they were giving out during the 50th. By the way, Dreams Come True is really no different then the MK’s 25th anniversary where CM’s were making magical moments come true for the guest, from being in parades, driving a monorail, etc. Be thankful we aren’t getting a pink cake. Just saw video of it and all I can say is, what were they thinking.

<<<“We've reported before that the annual retention rate for hourly CM's in many operational departments has edged over 80% this year, >>>

So your stating they have kept over 80% of their hires. That’s what annual retention rate of over 80% means. Hmm, maybe you mean the opposite. Do you mean annual turnover rate?

<<<The Casting Center at TDA continues to hire a couple hundred of people a week, only to replace the hundreds that leave each week. Traditionally, the Casting department would have practically shut down by late August as it prepared for a quiet fall season with more CM's than it needed. That's no longer the case, as Disneyland can no longer seem to keep its head above water when it comes to hiring replacement CM's.>>>

First, I’ll assume your trying to say that over a years time they only keep 20% of their employees. So lets see, you state 200 hired per week or 10,400 annual hires a year less 80% that leave or 8,320 gives us 2,080 new retained employees annually, a 10% workforce increase. Then again that 80% figure is only certain departments like food(as you mentioned), but since the average employee turnover rate at fast food joints nation wide can be as high as 300%( turns over its whole work force 3 times within a year), what exactly does your number mean?

<<<The unprecedented hourly capacity of 3,000 people per hour for that facility when it was the Carousel of Progress has the operations folks perking up their ears as well, if Imagineering (WDI) can create a show that would pack the spinning theater. >>>

Why not bring back the original Carousel of Progress. MK wants to get rid of it. Give it to the DLR.

<<<The conductors on the Disneyland Railroad now wear untraditional short sleeve shirts (or just roll up their sleeves as seen below, center), and the park security officers (below right) no longer wear their striped ties and now sport open collar shirts.>>>

I looked at all three pictures and personally think all three CM's look great. Not one looks sloppy.

• white and nerdy

Well.... I'm excited about us folk in the Gumball rally and such getting the CD with all the past updates in it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I think he means the TDA people who have been there longer, not the front of the line CMs.
    Then they should appreciate him then because WDW has remained a tourist resort destination for years which is where DL is struggling. If the DLR project doesn't receive some massive facelifting fast, DL will fall into being some sort of regional draw like Knott's.

Whenever you see some poor soul call the DL castle "Cinderella's Castle," it's because WDW has done a lot better than DL has at creating a space in the mind of the public conciousness over the past 20 years. All DL has had going for it with that level of identity is their timeless slogan "The Happiest Place on Earth," which I've seen people refer to WDW as numerous times without knowing.

Not that Grier has much management experience, but since most of the marketing power has been redirected to Rasulo anyway, most of what's really important is that he gets outside into the park and "gets" what they're about. Al's article makes it seem like he does.

Also, note that so far all of Matt's people are still there, and he's picked most of them from WDW. I think all but the most petty TDAers would be "over it" by now.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    The last time I saw a Disneyland Security person with a dress tie, was in DCA a couple of weeks ago. There are some that do and some that don't I have noticed.
    Just a thought...
    We're in the middle of summer and there are allowances made for costumed cast members working our balmy 90 degree(+) days. For example, security CM's can remove their tie and unbutton their first button. This is both for CM comfort and health safety.

• My laughing place

The 50th was a milestone anniversary. I was really proud I could be part of it !!
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoMinnie
    Just a thought...
    We're in the middle of summer and there are allowances made for costumed cast members working our balmy 90 degree(+) days. For example, security CM's can remove their tie and unbutton their first button. This is both for CM comfort and health safety.
    As I stated in my post for a medical condition or comfort, then that is to be understood.

Welcome to MiceChat!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoMinnie
    Just a thought...
    Yeah, that was my first thought when I read about Security CMs without ties, that it wasn't standards going down, but rather, temperatures going up.

• Man of Logic and Reason

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Then they should appreciate him then because WDW has remained a tourist resort destination for years which is where DL is struggling. If the DLR project doesn't receive some massive facelifting fast, DL will fall into being some sort of regional draw like Knott's.

Whenever you see some poor soul call the DL castle "Cinderella's Castle," it's because WDW has done a lot better than DL has at creating a space in the mind of the public conciousness over the past 20 years. All DL has had going for it with that level of identity is their timeless slogan "The Happiest Place on Earth," which I've seen people refer to WDW as numerous times without knowing.

Not that Grier has much management experience, but since most of the marketing power has been redirected to Rasulo anyway, most of what's really important is that he gets outside into the park and "gets" what they're about. Al's article makes it seem like he does.
    First of all, I find it amusing that you call it the DLR project. After 51 years I think it's pretty firmly established wouldn't you say?

Anyway,if you are going to take that attitude then allow me to remind you that many of the guests at Disneyland are from Australia, New Zealand and Japan which last time a checked qualified as tourists. The hotels at the resort have recently been at high capacity and just regional guests wouldn't fork over the money to stay over night.

Your take on the resort not meeting up to snuff in the tourist department explains your ignorance about the Disneyland Resort which is clearly the same problem as Rasulo. Disneyland is not Walt Disney World and as such it should be treated differently. The guests that WDW pulls in are different than Disneyland and that's fine, but as Al's article clearly implies (which is the opposite of your interpretation) Rasulo doesn't get it. He doesn't understand the needs of the Disneyland property the main one is variety and freshness. Since the majority of guests are locals there needs to be new draws often so the experience doesn't get stale, this also applies to the entertainment not just attractions.

Don't play poo-poo on Disneyland, besides we all know WDW isn't the shining jewel in the crown of the Parks and Resorts division (though Rasulo wishes it was). The original Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney's Disneyland will always reign supreme.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Super cool awesome update. Thanks!

Come on. Just once.

[edited to include intro compliment so people won't think that I don't like Al and his updates)
    I didn't picture a Hispanic family either, to be honest with you. Caucasian people do dress/appear like that too, you know (I've seen/know plenty, trust me). To each his/her own. If Al meant a Hispanic family, I think he would have said it as blatantly as that, as Al does not hesitate with whatever he says-he speaks his mind.

Could someone please tell me what Al meant by DVC property? I have no idea what that is.

I'm a little bummed about the whole Bippity-Boppity-Boutique thing. I never supported the idea of ripping out the theatre for good, but the idea was fun, extravagant and would have been great for little girls (and great cash flow for Disneyland)...now it sounds like it's being replaced by stuff we can already find in the Princess store? That's rather pointless, IMO...I hope it's stocked with some new, more fun/nicer things than what they already have...but all in all it sounds like a waste of space to me. A new show should have gone in instead.

Haha, they heard us whine and moan and joke so much about those churros, didn't they? Just goes to show, any of you that believe that none of the executives read miceage/micechat...well, there's your answer

Glad to hear the churros are being replaced by lanyards and ears. I'd much rather win something like that.

The campaign still could use a lot more creativity, though. They have so much room to do so many cool things...it sounds like they're hardly even thinking about the endless possibilities. Heck, there are things that they could do for free that would make a Disneyland guest happy!

Very happy to hear that Innoventions is getting some TLC. A House of the Future type thing would be cool to see for today's standards. Even cooler will be when they create a whole new AA show for the building. Time Machine, WDI! It would be so cool and original for the park!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast