Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Rock Star Minion

Re: 8/22: The Party's Over

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris
    With regards to the "Year of a Million Dreams" campaign, does anyone know if they ever thought to ask guests what their Disney dreams might be?
    Guests don't "get it." Why bother asking them what their dreams are?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Thanx for another great update Al.

Even if the exact details in regards to the CM dining options are a bit off, the basic point still remains. It is NOT good, and every single CM has something to say about the dining situation, and they are not good comments.
    Am somewhat relieved of the no Bippity Boppity Boutique, there is sooo much of that stuff already. Look inside Disney Showcase, our *Halloween* Store, ooooOOOOOoooohhhh, a half dozen cute halloween stuff, followed by the other 95% of the store being indistringuishable from the Princess Shop in the castle. Why? When all of Fantasyland is essentially already dedicated to the princesses.

I must however, stand up for Disneyland issuing hot weather variants to the uniforms. With few exceptions (strollers, custodial) those themed Disney outfits do not breath at all and are horrible to wear in the summer heat. Those MainStreet vehicles drivers and conductors must have been dying otherwise, finally Disney did something about it.
    The issues are, #1- Are the outfits still themed to the areas?- By and large yes, those this creeping 'blue and khaki' phase seems odd. I prefered the white Tiki pants too, at least it was different from all those other costumes. Universal costume pieces should only be used for departments that need to go everywhere, such ODV runners.
    #2- Are the Disneylook standards still being observed? Clearly No. Even the Leads have been sporting extreme spiky hair and faux-hawks for quite some time. Is it any wonder that CMs don't bother with belts or finding clothes that fit. Nothing is done to correct that behavior. Or the rampent, not wearing a nametag which is usually fixed by a 'happy birthday' sticker, or borrowing someone elses.

Had a naggin feeling that was the reason behind the extension of the Spirit Award recognition. Hope it doesn't go away.

As for Kodak, very interesting.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet
    I must however, stand up for Disneyland issuing hot weather variants to the uniforms. With few exceptions (strollers, custodial) those themed Disney outfits do not breath at all and are horrible to wear in the summer heat. Those MainStreet vehicles drivers and conductors must have been dying otherwise, finally Disney did something about it.
    Except on the day that Al took those pictures, it WASNT 90 degrees out. It was hot, but in the 80s.

Plus the people in the right two pics are wearing ill fitting clothes. Security with the open collar thing is highly unprofessional. He is barely distinguishable from all the other tourists. Of course, if I got paid the amount they pay CMs, it'd be difficult for me to give a **** either.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 08-25-2006 at 11:47 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    Disney Vacation Club

I did a little happy dance when I saw that, but wondered where it's going to be located.

I am considering a pool on how long those time shares will sell out, cuz I think it will be quick...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet View Post
    The issues are, #1- Are the outfits still themed to the areas?- By and large yes, those this creeping 'blue and khaki' phase seems odd. I prefered the white Tiki pants too, at least it was different from all those other costumes. Universal costume pieces should only be used for departments that need to go everywhere, such ODV runners.
    I'm not a huge fan of the DCA Merchandise Stocker costume, consisting of the "universal" white polo and "universal" blue pants (although most of the runners probably disagree with me... huge surprise there ).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Look
    The navy and white colors of the costume blend in well with all merchandise locations and complement the contemporary look of Disney’s California Adventure™ Park costume designs.
    It's supposed to be a parkwide costume, but the only store I even come close to feeling like I fit in at is Fly 'n' Buy, where the cashier's costume is utilitarian; they're supposed to be flight mechanics. Does it blend in with the 1939 environment presented by Tower Gifts? Not so much.

#2- Are the Disneylook standards still being observed? Clearly No. Even the Leads have been sporting extreme spiky hair and faux-hawks for quite some time. Is it any wonder that CMs don't bother with belts or finding clothes that fit. Nothing is done to correct that behavior. Or the rampent, not wearing a nametag which is usually fixed by a 'happy birthday' sticker, or borrowing someone elses.
    Borrowing someone else's name tag, I can understand. I've done it from time to time at my other job, and I've done it (thankfully only once) at the Resort. Using a "Happy Birthday" sticker though, I find to be unacceptable. I agree with you, and wish that the Disney Look standards were enforced more. Many Cast Members feel that once they're off the clock, the rules no longer apply. The other day, I was waiting for a bus home, and saw three Cast Members in costume or partial costume. Only one of the three was fully compliant with existing guidelines: full and complete costume, sans nametag. One was wearing a Tomorrowland Stores costume, with the shirt untucked and completely unzipped, and just looked very sloppy in general. The third had the universal white polo on, non-costume pants, and flipflops. On the clock, you get the previously mentioned ill-fitting costumes, and something probably only a military person would spot: white socks with black shoes. Now that combination is acceptable (and even required) when wearing shorts, but wearing pants, the socks are supposed to be the same color as the shoes, and a solid color.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind going back to requiring people to be out of costume when going to and from work. Security can require people to meet the Disney Look when leaving from the gates, but they can't stop people from untucking their shirts once they get out of sight.

• Cast Member

I agree that theming and Disney Look is important. I don't like that CMs go places in costume, just makes them look silly overall. Though I understand it, and even done it before.

But the whole situation is how it is going to be as long as the policy is still there where people can take the costumes home.

I mean there are some DUMB CMs out there, I mean. It's one thing to be out in your costume for whatever reason, but it's another to do that AND have your name tag still on.

Take the damn name tag off, that's what I want to say to those CMs every time I see one.

But as for the stock costume, umm.....yeah, I'll disagree with you that the costume unlike a regular FOH(front of house) costume does not need to be as "stylish" or themed, it is more of a functional costume. As long as it doesn't distract much then I'm in favor of the look. They haven't made a stylish stock/runner costume anyway so I wouldn't be too thrilled with whatever ideas they might have. On another note, you know, they used to have people run in FOH costumes and that was not safe nor good show. Imagine girls in big dresses/skirts trying to fill a floor or unload stock off a tugger shipment in such costumes. Guys in vests and ties trying to do the same. It's inefficient and unsafe. Also the same reason why we don't wear lanyards as well(thank God).

I'm very aware of that whole issue. But you're right about Disney look.

Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    But as for the stock costume, umm.....yeah, I'll disagree with you that the costume unlike a regular FOH(front of house) costume does not need to be as "stylish" or themed, it is more of a functional costume. As long as it doesn't distract much then I'm in favor of the look. They haven't made a stylish stock/runner costume anyway so I wouldn't be too thrilled with whatever ideas they might have. On another note, you know, they used to have people run in FOH costumes and that was not safe nor good show. Imagine girls in big dresses/skirts trying to fill a floor or unload stock off a tugger shipment in such costumes. Guys in vests and ties trying to do the same. It's inefficient and unsafe. Also the same reason why we don't wear lanyards as well(thank God).
    How about keeping the existing costume for Recievers, who are largely invisible to the guests, and having more themed costumes for Runners? The Critter Runner costume, for example, is themed without losing functionality like trying to be a runner in the Critter Merch Hostess costume, and it doesn't stick out like wearing the DCA Stock costume would at that particular location. I'm actually beginning to think that when guests ask "Do you work here?" they mean if I work at that particular location; I stick out, and don't look like the other CMs at a given location.

That was a great update. I wonder what the unseen hand of Roy is doing about this? I know his board seat has no power but the mere presence of the man who de-throned not one, but two Disney chairmen has got to have some kind of effect on things.

• Chrisfjw

Talking Re: 8/22: The Party's Over

that was probably one of my fave updates ever. the only one i have read every word of. very entertaining.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by America Stings View Post
    (Sigh)

I'm glad you didn't picture a "Hispanic" family.

And nice try to turn it around on me. But I don't think so.
    Do you really believe that's what all hispanic families look alike? Way to stereotype, dude.

• Welcome To My Nightmare

I was in that group photo from Bats Day with the caption that read they were potential future winners. I'm glad that everyone might have an equal chance of winning a prize. My family may not dress like the ideal "Disney family" the marketers desire ,but we love Disneyland , hold APs, and are courteous guests.
    Everyone who visits the park should have a chance to win. It shouldn't matter what they look like.
    Thanks for another informative article Al and happy belated birthday.

• Applz

hmm a paryt cool ithink

Happy Labor Day weekend, all!

Al's update is thought provoking.

I'm hoping Disneyland and Walt Disney World, both under under new Presidents, will maintain continuity and forward progress. It sounds, however, like a hint of the Pressler-Harriss era creeping back into the mix. I'm feeling a bit pessimistic that "Pixie Dust" will extend to the new Presidents of WDW and Disneyland, and it sounds to me if what Al writes about "A Million Dreams" at DL also happens at WDW, it will not be too exciting a year. I never was into pin collecting. At WDW it seems to be fading out. So to give special lanyards and two free pins as fulfillment of some "dreams"... Huh? I think most people's "dreams" would be either some deluxe treatment, or head of the line at E-Ticket rides or a favorite character meet and greet/dining, or some sort of freebie such as a free day, free tickets, or free hotels or free dining. Or staying at the WDW Castle overnight. The last "dream come true" I doubt anyone would think of is a lanyard or Mouse-Eared hats given to you in the parks. The hype will not match the reality, in most cases. And people will get online, spread the word about park experiences, and the news will spread quickly. Causing the potential for this year's park promotion to backfire in some cases.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, that some senational prizes and truly thrilling park experiences happen with this coming year's park promotion of "Million Dreams".

But I plan to file what Al's been writing into the back of my mind, and simply watch what happens from here.

Many thanks for a great update, Al.
    Last edited by CarolKoster; 09-03-2006 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added a word.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345