Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/4: Drop-Ins Welcomed

Guest columnist Alain Littaye offers a photo tour of the newest Tower of Terror, at Tokyo DisneySea. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Former Epcot CM

Re: 9/4: Drop-Ins Welcomed

Wow. Awesome photos Joe.
    Brilliant article Alain.
    Must. Go. To. Tokyo.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

My hats are of to both Alain who provided some killer facts and and fun text while of course Joe provived the eye candy.Looking at these pics seems to justify how much Im spending to visit Tokyo in a couple of weeks.Thanks guys for not making me think Im a mad fool

• former CM

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed tour! The Tokyo TOT looks great and the pre-show is much better than the other TOTs, but it's too bad that the ride itself is still so short. In Orlando your car moves (horizontally--briefly, but with cool effects) more than in Anaheim (where the ride is only vertical), and I hoped there would be a lot more of that--like a state-of-the-art Haunted Mansion ride before the drop.

• Plastic Monkey

thats it!
    im going to japan!

great report and awesome pics as well bt,
    We Play Rock and Roll

• FastPass n00b

Re: Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed tour! The Tokyo TOT looks great and the pre-show is much better than the other TOTs, but it's too bad that the ride itself is still so short. In Orlando your car moves (horizontally--briefly, but with cool effects) more than in Anaheim (where the ride is only vertical), and I hoped there would be a lot more of that--like a state-of-the-art Haunted Mansion ride before the drop.
    I agree, I was expecting much more from the ride itself. The queue, preshow and thick storyline however, those impress me to no end. I LOVE the picture where it shows Hightower with the idol in front of the "stainglass window", it really lends credibility to the real life area. It's as if you really feel as if he was actually there and built it instead of some WDI building it. I mean, I obviously don't understand a word that was said, but it was still incredibly unnerving even sitting in my computer room watching it. And the storyline is so amazing, and strung through every single thing that happens in the entire ride.

But the glaring question is probably, "$180 million for this?". I mean it's a fantastic attraction, but ultimately it's a drop ride with 2 scenes that rival DCA's version of the ride. The queue and preshow are really what separates this attraction from everything else. I think it could've been a great haunted house walkthrough or even ride-through attraction. The ride itself kind of detracts from the attraction overall. It's like those movies you see with the GREAT premise, but then fail to do anything with it.

If anything this ride kind of shows the inefficiency of spending at WDI nowadays. Indiana Jones created a new ride vehicle from scratch, built a huge building, had a huge and elaborate queue, created a 5 minute ride and did it all for half the cost of this ride. This is the DCA Tower of Terror with an extremely elaborate queue, preshow, facade and story...but the technology and ride vehicles had already been paid for by several other versions of the ride. Essentially, they paid $180 million for a queue, preshow and extraorindarily detailed exterior facade.

Overall, I'd say the new attraction is simply mindblowing and since they were willing to spend the money, it turned out very nice. I would've wanted more for my money if I was the Oriental Land Company, but since I didn't pay for it, I don't care how much it costs...it's a state-of-the-art ride and I'd love to ride it!
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 09-04-2006 at 10:38 AM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Wow they got a way better one than DCA.
    It looks better than the one in MGM too.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: 9/4: Drop-Ins Welcomed

Yet another reason to go to TDL! Thanks for the great story, pics & links. excellent!

Regardsarama,

Jon
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• ...TWO BITS!

Ugh, I was just at TDS mid-July and taped the lightning effect. I forgot to post it when I came back . Ah, well. I'll try to post the video anyways...

And yes, this does look impressive. But like some have questioned: "$180 million??"

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Guess quality comes at a price and OLC realises this!

• Creative Director

^Quality does come at a price, but the true basis of the ride is really no different than the Anaheim one. All that money could have really been allocated in a better way. But I guess they decided to put it into the atmosphere and pre-show, rather than the "ride" portion itself.
    Still, it is the most unique and visually stunning Tower on the the planet.

The attraction costs were high because OLC and Disney were obligated to use domestic (Japanese) contractors and materials companies. These are more costly than, say, the American counterparts. For example, the OTIS elevators used in the US ToT's could not be used in the Japanese version for contractual limitations between OLC and a Japanese manufacturer. Also, a certain percentage of the buildings construction budget must be allocated for safety enforcement.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com

• Senior Minion

What detail they continue to have in Japan. I'm actually considering going to Japan first before going to Orlando. It just seems too good to be true.
    Thanks for the photos and great article.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Minion

Re: Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    If anything this ride kind of shows the inefficiency of spending at WDI nowadays. Indiana Jones created a new ride vehicle from scratch, built a huge building, had a huge and elaborate queue, created a 5 minute ride and did it all for half the cost of this ride.
    Indy is actually only 3 minutes long. And if you think $180 million is a lot, think about the $300 million spent for Journey to the Center of the Earth. With that in mind, I wouldn't exactly say they don't know how to spend their money, as Journey definitely is on par with Indy- technologically that is. I personally would rank the overall experience above Indy.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInJpn View Post
    The attraction costs were high because OLC and Disney were obligated to use domestic (Japanese) contractors and materials companies. These are more costly than, say, the American counterparts. For example, the OTIS elevators used in the US ToT's could not be used in the Japanese version for contractual limitations between OLC and a Japanese manufacturer. Also, a certain percentage of the buildings construction budget must be allocated for safety enforcement.

JoeInJpn
    http://www.jtcent.com
    thanks for the info Joe! =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast