Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/8: Mermaids & Monsters

Sue fills you in on Little Mermaid at the El Capitan and Oscar's animatronic exhibit. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Diamond In The Rough

Re: 9/8: Mermaids & Monsters

Another great article, Sue!

And how cool to see Audrey II alive and well - Feed Me!

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Former Epcot CM

Sigh.
    Why can't I have been in Los Angeles last night.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

It was a pleasure hanging out with both of you last night. Thanks for letting me sit with you! What a fabulous evening it was! Too exciting to have Roy Disney and Alan Menkin sitting close to us! Sorry I didn't make it over from work in time to join the group for dinner.

Thanks also for the mention of the Academy exhibit. I've been meaning to get over there to see it. Now that I know how great it really is, I'm gonna have to get over there pronto before it closes! Where does one park over there?

Don

• Earth Intruder

Thanks for the article Sue! It was a pleasure seeing you last night.

I gotta get to that animatronic exhibit, it seems tres cool!!!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• HollywoodsNewestSensation

Thumbs down They Changed The Priest!!!

I can't believe Sue didn't make at least a quick mention of this... Didn't anyone else notice that THEY RE-ANIMATED THE PRIEST?!

Yes, "that" priest, the one with the supposedly-floppy member in the wedding scene. If I remember right, he originally wore an off-white robe that (to me, at least) looked like it was blowing around in the breeze... but in this new restoration, he was re-dressed in a new, tailored set of vestments!

Now, I never thought it really looked like a floppy member anyway... but does the fact that Disney suddenly changed it mean that it really was an in-joke? Or maybe just the rumor was bad enough for them?

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I think the rumor was bad enough they changed it. If they indeed changed it.

I went to the first night of the Fantasmic at the Hollywood Bowl and Roy Disney was there . That was a cool highlight. Because another site mentioned they went to the 2nd night's showing, but didn't mention Roy.

You only NOW mention the animatronic exhibit?? Good thing they extended the end date. It was supposed to be sometime in August when they switch out exhibits. They started in I think May of this year. But yes, it was indeed pretty cool. The first floor has a bunch of photos. Then the 4th floor is the main event. You have to check in to secruity and wear vistor badges. I was only able to find parking on a residence street curb. 2 hour parking only. There's no huge sign to tell you where the Oscar building is. But it's mainly black and has tinted windows along the front. We spent probably an hour at the exhibit.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Earth Intruder

I think they changed it because of the rumor too. It was obviously his knee when you look at a still of the priest.

The other thing that was interesting last nite was that 6-minute short they showed after the movie, "The Little Match Girl". Beautifully animated, and very very depressing, lol Perhaps it is going into the "Best Animated Short" oscar category.

And JEEEEZ filmfreak11 you came across pretty harsh for Sue's not mentioning the animatronic exhibit until now. We don't expect our columnists to attend every non-Disney event (or press event) in Los Angeles the moment they happen, do we? It was just something cool that she did yesterday and wanted to share in her column. If anyone wants to go, the exhibit is open through this weekend.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Disney Prince

great article! although in The Little Mermaid's defense when it comes to the film's message, it was already pretty clear that Ariel wanted to be "Part of that world", in essence, she was just daring to be herself.

We had been encouaged to travel to LA to be their for A screening. A kind fellow at the Studio had remembered that I have a daughter named Ariel and suggeted we attend, but alas no time and no money to tavel 800 miles for a movie.
    DanG! DaNg dAng!!!

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    And JEEEEZ filmfreak11 you came across pretty harsh for Sue's not mentioning the animatronic exhibit until now. We don't expect our columnists to attend every non-Disney event (or press event) in Los Angeles the moment they happen, do we? It was just something cool that she did yesterday and wanted to share in her column. If anyone wants to go, the exhibit is open through this weekend.
    I didn't mean to be... well... mean. I don't even think my comment was all that harsh. My point was it's kind of late notice for anyone who wanted to see it. It was on exhibit for a few months now. Now with Sue's article, you only have a couple days left. I'm glad she had a great time... but I guess better late than never...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• FastPass n00b

I think editting the film makes them look a little guilty. It's like if you have to edit it, that means there really was something wrong with it. They already editted the box art for the original VHS.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I didn't mean to be... well... mean. I don't even think my comment was all that harsh. My point was it's kind of late notice for anyone who wanted to see it. It was on exhibit for a few months now. Now with Sue's article, you only have a couple days left. I'm glad she had a great time... but I guess better late than never...
    Better late than never indeed. As for why I did not write about the animatronic exhibit earlier, I didn't know about it until the day before The Little Mermaid opened at El Cap. My feeling was that there were probably a lot of folks out there who didn't know about it either. To me, a few days notice for a chance to see it was better than not mentioning it at all. Wouldn't you agree?

I live far away, so even if I know about an exhibit. I can not attend. Sue thank you for the review and the pictues.

The rest of you get off your bums and go see it before it closes.. or Skeksis will eat you!!

Nice to hear how things went. Though it saddens me greatly to have missed it myself. I had dress rehersal for Beauty and the Beast (ironic that I'm kept from something about my favorite Disney animated film by something from one of my other favorite Disney animated films). That and I'm in northern California. Shame they couldn't put any of the panel on the DVD or something. I'd love to have seen it.

As for the priest, it's sad if true. Reanimating part of the film just because some people look at a fold the wrong way. I abhor nonsensical censorship like that. Though it's not like I'm buying this DVD for anything but the extras. My classic VHS (I just can't watch this film digitally, my prides too strong - though I say that now...) is holding up just swimingly. Though I must say it's an extreme rarity for me to buy a DVD for the extras. I've only really done it once before (Star Trek IV). I don't rebuy stuff I already own without reason. The stuff that their putting on this one sounds to tempting to pass up though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast