Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks for the info. This is a great site. I can't wait until my Disneyland Trip in September.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Congratulations, Al, for becoming a part of the Disneyland hub-bub at KTLA's Morning News Show special. The tickets were extremely fortuitous! Good things really do happen to deserving people of merit. The day may have started out overcast, but emotionally it became sunny and warm.

Awesome is a man called Linkletter! A few years back, Art also appeared at the opening ceremony for DCA, along with Roy Disney, the late Buddy Ebsen, and Goofy - Whoops! I mean Michael Eisner. Having attended the event myself, I agree that the perineal Linkletter is spry and ever-engaging. What's more, he remains a magical link to opening day, 1955. Wow!

Regarding the ceremony at the Main Street Opera House, I enjoyed the photos of the "three amigos", Steve Martin, Donald Duck and Goofy - errr, Eisner. If I were Martin and the Donald, I wouldn't trust that cheesy guy (with his eyes closed) for a second. He's probably plotting a way to gain back the chairman's thrown.

The parade units are breathtaking, and any other positive adjetive one can dream up. The water effects on a couple of the floats are a gorgeous new element that I've never seen before. The finale unit is still impressive, Al-beit, your point is valid that they should have designed the float in a way that viewers could see the characters better.

Matt Oimet is to be credited for continuing his refurbishment of the park, down to the smallest details (literally) at the Storybookland rehab. I love the bright, bubbly imagery on the Sub Lagoon walls. Perhaps the subs were announced at one of the media events today, or maybe they will be announced on Disneyland's actual birthday, July 17th.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-05-2005 at 11:22 PM.

Nice update. I have a hard time believing on such a huge day of media exposure that Eisner would show up looking that way. From the pictures I've seen, Steve Martin and Julie Andrews both looked far more professional.

I'm sure they'll do something special on July 17, maybe a huge media event, maybe not, but I'm sure they'll have a ceremony of some sort. From a company perspective, why not get two days of huge press instead of one. And since I'm going next week, I'm glad they're not waiting until then to launch the celebration.

I did think the email was a little over the top. And please, Bob Iger is a totally different person than Eisner and is likely a totally different leader. Let the guy have a chance before lumping him in with Eisner.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus

And please, Bob Iger is a totally different person than Eisner and is likely a totally different leader. Let the guy have a chance before lumping him in with Eisner.
    Yeah! Iger, as I recall, was among the entourage that boarded the subs and reviewed some of the new ride elments (including the show boxes) back when Matt Oimet was trying to gain approval for the ride, along with increased financing. This followed after Eisner had snubbed the project. Iger evidently gave his blessing.

Also, I met Bob Iger at the Disneyland Resort once, when he was casually walking about on the premises. He said hello to me first, otherwise I would not have known who he was. Along with being affable, he seems to enjoy being at the parks. Give him the benefit of the doubt, Al. He just might turn out to be everything in a leader that Eisner is not.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-05-2005 at 06:43 PM.

• Disney Memory Maker

Wow al, only one page of snide Michael Eisner remarks...that's a record low for you.
    Or are the majority of fans here and on other disneyland forums and sites just a bit over-the-top critical?
    The park's neglect can be mostly contributed to Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris (aka the Dynamic Duo). They focused on entertainment & sales more than maintanence and attractions. Michael Eisner brang Rasulo & Ouimet, a team that cares more for the parks. But imo, it's true that Disneyland people are a bit over-the-top (in both being critical and refusing to acknowledge some things are better at other resorts, like WDW). Just my opinion though.
    I have a hard time believing on such a huge day of media exposure that Eisner would show up looking that way. From the pictures I've seen, Steve Martin and Julie Andrews both looked far more professional.
    I think his attire is more symbolic than any other reason. There is a transition of power now from him to Bob Iger (who was wearing a suit). I'm guessing that Michael Eisner did not want to take the attention off of Iger, and at the same time wanted to appear more 'retired' and casual, like the park guests.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    The park's neglect can be mostly contributed to Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harris (aka the Dynamic Duo). They focused on entertainment & sales more than maintanence and attractions. Michael Eisner brang Rasulo & Ouimet, a team that cares more for the parks. But imo, it's true that Disneyland people are a bit over-the-top (in both being critical and refusing to acknowledge some things are better at other resorts, like WDW). Just my opinion though.
    -Michael
    That my friend, is a load of dingo's kidneys and you know it...

It wasn't just Pressler and Harris... It was implementing Eisner's Stratigic Planning, inforcing the philosophy of "singles and doubles" to theme park attractions... You know as well as I that Eisner looked over the sholder of everyone and wouldn't allow people to pick curtains with out his approval...

Where the heck have you been the last two years? Certainly not reading the news services...

There is a reason why Eisner was booed today... and it wasn't just his fashion sense...
    Check out my other blog:

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    It wasn't just Pressler and Harris... It was implementing Eisner's Stratigic Planning, inforcing the philosophy of "singles and doubles" to theme park attractions... You know as well as I that Eisner looked over the sholder of everyone and wouldn't allow people to pick curtains with out his approval...
    For the first half of this statement, if you noticed, I said it was mostly their fault. I did not say completely. Strategic planning played a large part of the problem and was probably the worst thing to come under Eisner's leadership. However, I still think that it was mostly the fault of Pressler/Harris.

As for the second part, I think it's great that Eisner was involved in the details, after all Walt was too.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Vehicle rotating backward

Eh, it's an okay analogy, but I'm getting tired of getting angry at the "WDW is taking the 50th" stuff and just kind of rolling my eyes at this point.

DLR doesn't need Cinderellabration (wouldn't be "right" anyway, since it's not a Cinderella castle) or a motor stunt show.

• Banned User

I am so envious of you guys out in Anaheim...even though I was able to attend WDW's side event today the MK (and watched you all on that jumbotron next to Cindy's Castle), I would have sold my first born to be there alongside with you.

Great Reports!!! Eagerly awaiting part 2!! and 3!! and 4!!!....

I am wondering if anyone knows of any national media attention for Disneyland's 50th. If there is no known national coverage, does anyone know of any local coverage that has been, or will be, put on the web? Or even if it is some how possible to get a copy of the events footage from the local news stations?

I used to live in CA and could have watched some of the local coverage, but now I live in TX and couldn't find any coverage

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by HUH?
    I am wondering if anyone knows of any national media attention for Disneyland's 50th.
    All I know is that almost every channel (as well as late-night talk shows) have aired the Kelsey-Grammar-falling-down clip.

-Michael

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    I said it (strategic planning implementation) was mostly their (Pressler and Harris) fault. I did not say completely. Strategic planning played a large part of the problem and was probably the worst thing to come under Eisner's leadership. However, I still think that it was mostly the fault of Pressler/Harris.

As for the second part, I think it's great that Eisner was involved in the details, after all Walt was too.

-Michael

Hold on there pardner. Tie that shetlen poney of your'n to the hitchin' post before it kicks sombody again! According to what you have said, strategic planning (micro-managing) was the "worst thing to come out of Eisner's leadership", yet it (Disneyland's lack of new attractions, and faltering maintenance policies) "was mostly the fault of Pressler/Harris."

You can't have your spongecake and eat it too. Eisner was in charge, and you have admitted that micro-managing resort haunchos such as Pressler and Harris were his biggest oversight. Yet, you claim that Pressler and Harris went way beyond Eisner's flawed (meaning counter-productive) directives while implementing them. Then, you turn around and credit Eisner for bringing Oimet and Rasulo on board to solve the problems that were created in part by his strategic planning, but, as you have suggested, mainly by the uncontrollable leadership team of Pressler and Harris.

Don't even try to cover up for Michael E. No matter how you look at it, Eisner failed to do his job, and it cost the Company big time in terms of money and repect. Both Oimet and Rasulo were proven leaders long before they were brought in to straighten out the Disneyland Resort. I believe Eisner had little if anything to do with selecting them, and I challenge you to supply hard evidence to the contrary.

As for Walt, he associated with all of his employees at Disneyland. Various reports verify that he actually referred to them by name, whether it was a maintenance worker, a cast member, or upper management. Mr. Disney also had an open ear for their suggestions, and incorporated many of them.

If you choose to call Walt's leadership style strategic planning, fine. Give it any lable you like. In the final analysis, there's a world of difference between the way that Walt and Eisner handled people and did business. Mr. Eisner is so out of touch that he didn't realize that the Jungle Cruise skippers had had their guns taken from them (due to a politically correct policy), during one of his rare visits to Disneyland around a year or so ago.

Incidentally, there are many things about WDW that are better than Disneyland. I very much look forward to going there in the near future, far more than Universal Escape or any place else in Florida. On the other hand, I feel Disneyland has much more to offer in terms of quality attractions, ambiance and history. In my opinion, and countless others, it is the superior resort for these and other reasons.

Admitedly, we each have our personal bias. It's really quite admirable that you value your Florida resort enough to defend it tooth and nail. This is the same way that we feel about Disneyland. Perhaps you and I can agree that there is something special about stateside Disney themeparks that distinguishes them in a class of their own.

I checked out your personal site. It's extremely well put together, and the graphics are trippy!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-05-2005 at 10:50 PM.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Awesome update Al! I'm glad u got to make it to the press event anyway!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    You can't have your spongecake and eat it too. Eisner was in charge, and you have admitted that micro-managing resort haunchos such as Pressler and Harris was his biggest oversight. Yet, you claim that Pressler and Harris went way beyond Eisner's flawed (meaning counter-productive) directives while implementing them. Then, you turn around and credit Eisner for bringing Oimet and Rasulo on board to solve the problems that were created in part by his strategic planning, but, as you have suggested, mainly by the uncontrollable leadership team of Pressler and Harris.
    I wouldn't look too much into my posts. There is no hidden meaning. Here is what I am saying, nothing more: Disneyland's biggest problem was Harrissler...Eisner's biggest mistake was creating the strategic planning dept. In many ways, I think sp has more control on some issues than Mr. Eisner (just like for some things, the president doesn't have total control on).

Don't even try to cover up for Michael E. No matter how you look at it, Eisner failed to do his job, and it cost the Company big time in terms of money and repect.
    Read this article (and read the entire thing)

I believe Eisner had little if anything to do with selecting them, and I challenge you to supply hard evidence to the contrary.
    Until I can find more factual info, here are a few links: Rasulo(who ironically started in SP). Matt's a little harder to pinpoint down. This article hints that Rasulo promoted him, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

Admitedly, we each have our personal bias. It's really quite admirable that you value your Florida resort enough to defend it tooth and nail. This is the same way that we feel about Disneyland. Perhaps you and I can agree that there is something special about stateside Disney themeparks that distinguishes them in a class of their own.
    Exactly. If we compare just two Disney parks, then there will likely be a difference of opinion, but if we compare Disney to Universal we'd both agree that Disney is better. To me, this shows how trully great Disney is. If Disney was not doing it's job, we would not be debating which park is better.

I checked out your personal sight. It's extremely well put together, and the graphics are trippy!
    Thanks!

-Michael

I'll just write that I, too, was surprised that nothing was mentioned about the subs. Perhaps management wants to remain non-commital in case the project falls through at a later date.

Are there going to be any announcements or special ceremonies on July 17th? Maybe we'll hear something then?

Cris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast