Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/3: Goodbye Sawyer, Hello Sparrow

Tom Sawyer Island Changes Theme, The Rest of the Plans for DCA, Monorail Reroute, More... I just know you are going to want to discuss all this here!

Full Story on MiceAge
    Last edited by Al Lutz; 10-03-2006 at 07:52 AM.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Former Epcot CM

Re: 10/3: Goodbye Saywer, Hello Sparrow

I'm lost for words.

Seriously.

This. Has. Made. My Day.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• I love this place!

Wow, an awful lot to consider. I'll leave the bombshell (ROA) alone for now till I've thought about it some. What really excites me is the little offhand comment that accompanied the picture of Tomorrowland. Could it really be possible that the Rocket Jets might return? Getting rid of that eyesore AstroOrbiter and putting the ride back in its proper place would be an answer to my prayers!

• white and nerdy

Hmmmmm..... Wow...

Though I have to say that Pirates are actually an older historical period than Huck Finn, they just have a great movie to promote them. Could a Huck Finn movie be made that is as good as Pirates... I doubt it, the story is great (one of my favorites) but it's just not as exciting. If they did make a Huck Finn movie as exciting as the pirate movie it would be so radically different from the story that I wouldn't like it. I'm excited to see the new pirate island.

DCA changes sound great, especially the villains "spook alley" theme for California Screaming.... The whole "surfer" thing seems stupid and tacked on.

The curse was true!!! I am living in interesting times.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• First visit was 1960

Thumbs up Re: 10/3: Goodbye Saywer, Hello Sparrow

Wow, what an update Al. Thanks.
    I know a lot of folks have a hard time dealing with change at DL. I only can afford to go there about once or twice a decade. I haven't bothered with Tom Sawyer Island in years. A make over would be great. I liked DCA when I was there last but it could be better. I think the changes that sre coming will be great. Anyway Al, keep up the good work. Hope to be back in 2008.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

*Holds up hand*

"Recoil in horror?" That would be me. Might as well bulldoze the castle next because the locale would make such a great E ticket Pirate Fortress Coaster. In fact, why not have the WHOLE FRICKIN PARK BE ABOUT NOTHING BUT FRICKIN PIRATES!

ARE THEY INSANE????????

*Working on my bloodpressure. I need to calm down before writing more...thinking happy thoughts....*

• Disneyland Addict

Thanks for the update. While I liked Tom Sawyer as a kid, I think the Pirate Island will be better than the falling apart neutered thing we have in the middle of the Rivers of America right now.

• Creative Director

WOW, so much take in. don't know what to say. =)

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I miss the BBQ too, Al. Oh how I miss those beef brisket sandwiches with the big corn on the cob on a stick! Pass the wetnaps...

Thanks for the great update! I always look forward to them.

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    *Holds up hand*

"Recoil in horror?" That would be me. Might as well bulldoze the castle next because the locale would make such a great E ticket Pirate Fortress Coaster. In fact, why not have the WHOLE FRICKIN PARK BE ABOUT NOTHING BUT FRICKIN PIRATES!
    True, but a cool modern makeover of the island would be totally awesome. It seems the only way such a thing will happen is if they tie it to a modern... uh... merchandis-able thingie.

So either it's Pirates or Princesses. I am glad they are going with Pirates.

On other topics, I am really psyched to hear that Philharmagic is coming. If they would only stick Figment in DCA I might never want to go to WDW again.

That said, I will miss Muppetvision. I still check it out on every single trip to DCA (or DMGM.) Maybe they will open a new muppet attraction.

ANYTHING.

Even a muppet themed hot dog stand would be OK.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    Thought it was just me. Soon we'll just call it Walt Disney's Magic Pirate Kingdom.

I'm a big fan of the pirate movies, but enough is enough.

thomas is slackjawed.

shocking.

what to say?
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

• Disney Gram

What a sad commentary on our youth if they do not know who Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are.

I took my 13 year old granddaughter to DL last June (her first trip) she was enchanted with TSI and we spent quite a bit of time there...which, for me, also brought back wonderful memories of wandering it with my two boys.

Everything does not have to themed to today...everything does not have to have bells and whistles and be "interactive"...sometimes simpler is better...at least in one little corner of the park.
    Sharon
    Next Trip - Nov. 13-19 2011

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

So....if they really want this Pirate Island thing to work, let's look at what is going to be thrown on the scrap heap:

1) The Mark Twain - Although you could stretch and pretend that the ROA are still part of the Mississippi, the ROA just became the Gulf of Mexico, so the Mark Twain is really in the way with the wrong themeing. Not too many Riverboats were heading out to sea back then. And why not have TWO pirate ships to take people around Pirate Island.

2) The Rivers of America - Must be renamed as something else. I'm sure they'll come up with something very nifty.

3) Frontierland - Once you ditch the Mark Twain, you might as well ditch the Golden Horseshoe and Shooting Gallery. "Pirateland" would be so much more effective.

4) Trees - Say goodbye to all of the tall trees on that side of the park. What we'll need is tons of sand and palm trees.

I still can't believe I just read that in Al's update. When it comes down to it, it's all about marketability and bilking the guests for every last dime. If the island is not generating enough traffic, out it goes.

Whatever.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 10-03-2006 at 06:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Wow, 650 million dollars. The DL resort looks like it's getting the love it so desperately needs to bring it up to where it needs to be. I can only hope that once they've got DCA fixed that they can turn their attention back to WDW. We need some massive makeovers of a ton of areas over here. I'd love to see that kind of budget be spread over even the three older parks alone. They don't need the massive re-branding that DCA does, but they need a lot of maintenance, some massive refurbs, and Epcot still needs a lot of money in an updated UoE, an operating WoL, and something new in the World Showcase with a ride attached would be wonderful.

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast