Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Re: 11/28: Tom, Huck & Jack

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo View Post
    Just my own insight into the "politics" problem at TDA & DCA. It's been a long standing issue at the Park. Truly the politics has been around for ages.

I know many people who worked with the suits. Most hardly, if ever, went to the Park or knew much about it. Playing the "corporate game" was constant. Political intrigue, backstabbing and the use of sex & lies to gain a promotion within the system is common. Much like many big corporations Disney is flawed.
    Yes. But it wasn't always that way. Things went dramatically downhill over the past 15 years.

Example: I once worked with a coworker who was a CM. During his tenure he took the opportunity to intern in the corporate offices. The change was SIGNIFICANT. His personality, his attitude and particularly his attitude towards former coworkers. Once he became an official "suit", he stubbed his nose at the rest of his former CMs and often if seen in the Park by former CMs would tell them "Please don't come up to me and say hello"!

My point here is that the Disney corporate structure encourages this sort of attitude. TDA has two teams CMs and the Corporate Office. Clearly, as we all recall from this year, when the corporate staff was asked to cross train and fill in as a CM voluntarily that this didn't translate well. Many refused to show up, didn't show up or once they worked ran screaming out of the Park.

But what do you do?
    You give the Parks & Resorts Division an enema ... a good long, cleansing one.

You start at the top. You move Jay Rasulo out of the company.

You then begin removing the puppets he installed globally ... after that you can slowly (and it will be a long, hard process) begin to change 'tudes.

But the change has to be set from the top on down.

Kind of like when you see wonderful, well-mannered, intelligent children, you KNOW they have good parents, you just know it ... want to see CMs smiling like they once did, genuinely happy working for Disney, being appreciated by management and guests? Simple. Hire quality people to oversee them.

• Vehicle rotating backward

On another note about CM employment - I recently saw an add for a Disney Job Fair. I was seriously shocked to see an ad Thanksgiving weekend saying Disney was looking for more people. In all my years, I can't remember ever seeing an add for employment for the holidays. If anything the Park didn't need people during the holidays!
    Yeah because there used to not be as many people there during the holidays except on certain nights. Now that every Jim, Joe, and Jack in the LA area goes to Disneyland like it's the local mall they have far more customers then than they did 20 years ago.

As for the DCA thing, I'm with John on this one. Turning DCA into an open market of shops and rides would basically fully turn it into the parking lot carnival that people like to say it is. It could only get worse from there.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Yeah because there used to not be as many people there during the holidays except on certain nights. Now that every Jim, Joe, and Jack in the LA area goes to Disneyland like it's the local mall they have far more customers then than they did 20 years ago.
    Capacity used to be a lot higher than it is today. They're short CMs, not long on guests.
    If anything, the desperation to fill openings that should have been worked out months ago is very disturbing. Low pay combined with what appears to be the poor reputation of The Management seems to have dried up the prospects.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

As an hourly peon in the Disney meat grinder, it all rings too true. Some long-time CMs are currently putting in 8 - 12 hour days with no extra thanks or rewards (if they are rewarded they might get a shiny token that, when you've accumulated 10 or more, will give us a $5 gift card at Starbucks or something. Of course, that's if they give it to us. Hah!).

Meanwhile scheduling 'anomalities' on some days place "too many" CMs in some areas and they are given the chance to leave as soon as they arrive. What is "too many?" Two or more per store. Who has been in New Orleans or on Main Street and have waited through a half-hour line just to check out? But management has to cut those hours!

At least we have the Dream Team wandering the park handing out hats. That ought to make everyone happy...

I agree. It really doesn't seem like proper management for the CM's. Sound like poor shift planning also. As far as merchandise sales it seems that the pricing has gotten way out of hand. I remember when we visited the parks in the mid 90's I felt the pricing was right on and I actually felt good about my purchases. It seems to me volume pricing would make more sense, and have the CM's in place to accommodate it.

• It's all about Theme!

Technially, I think they should leave TSI alone and bring the Country Bears or something else to DCA ASAP!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDavo View Post
    I agree. It really doesn't seem like proper management for the CM's. Sound like poor shift planning also. As far as merchandise sales it seems that the pricing has gotten way out of hand. I remember when we visited the parks in the mid 90's I felt the pricing was right on and I actually felt good about my purchases. It seems to me volume pricing would make more sense, and have the CM's in place to accommodate it.
    I know what you mean! I mean.....I just wait untill it comes to the DisneyStore in the mall. Sure, it's not from DisneyLand, but its a HELL of a lot cheaper. I am 16, and think that DL is way overpriced. But don't tell my Ewok, Jedi Mickey and, POTC Mickey that. Oh yeah, my gold ears....XD
    Each emotion is a different flavor. What flavor do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Technially, I think they should leave TSI alone and bring the Country Bears or something else to DCA ASAP!
    Technically that really doesn't make any sense. and let's not forget that 'future attraction' construction wall that has popped up on Paradise Pier in DCA. It's not the Country Bears, but something is being added. It won't be ASAP, attractions take time, unless you want some stage show thrown together.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• ...TWO BITS!

I found this interesting: http://mousekingdoms.blogspot.com/

In a blog detailing WestCOT, it mentions "Disneyland Center". Basically CA's version of Downtown Disney. Read this:

"The shuttle's elevated track also takes you past Disneyland Center -- a retail, dining and entertainment area located next to a six acre lake. You notice that many of the buildings in this part of the resort are modeled after memorable Californian landmarks: Catalina's Avalon Ballroom, Venice Beach's Boardwalk as well as San Diego's Coronado Hotel. You make a note to do a little poking around here after your day at Westcot."

SO, Tony Baxter's idea of turning DCA into an extention of DTD was partially based from the original idea! Disneyland Center was really a sort of mini-DCA DTD. What TB was suggesting was putting DCA back to what it was originally intended. This makes me not so critical of TB as much as before.

Personally, DCA should continue as a 2nd gate and WDI should strengthen it. Then the 3rd gate should be "WestCOT" with DAK and TDS mixed in and probably also "Valley of Villainy" as a imaginery port of call . TDS inspiration for sailing to "port of call" for a countries. DAK inspiration to involve animals found in their respective countries. Also the myths and legends from their country of origin to add the "fantasy" aspect.

Also, I'm starting to dislike my Liberty Square proposal for DL in hopes it would be included for WestCOT. And I think I'm more in favor now of WRE for Festival Arena (with Patch of Heaven & Big Thunder BBQ still there, with WRE, that should bring in alot of traffic .

I still have high hopes!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I still can't believe that Baxter, if he really proposed such a silly idea, isn't enough of a businessman to figure out how much revnue would be lost as soon as DCA was opened to the public. You essentially LOSE the additional cost of a park hopper, you LOSE admission on every group that comes to visit or perform at the park, and you LOSE admission on those rare individuals who would actually BUY a one day ticket for this park. Now...that number isn't anywhere NEAR what Disneland would pull in, but once you add up what DCA pulls in over the course of a week JUST IN PARKHOPPER AND ADMISSION FEES, you're looking at an ENORMOUS loss in Revenue that now must be made up by either charging for these rides a la cart, or by raising the prices of menu items and shops in the area.

Earth to Baxter: The park is already built. People are PAYING to get in. Maybe not a TON of people, but people none the less. Once those gates are down, you have no more park hoppers and a really, really big shopping mall. And the whole concept of a multi-day park, such as it is, gets shot to heck.

Bite the bullet and spend the dollars. If you build it right, they will come.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think Tony has a much better handle on the situation than most of us. I'm sure he can show that the loss of income from a DCA gate would be more than offset by the increased dining revenues that would be brought in by the new configuration. It's not my first choice - I'd rather see them make DCA work. But to say that Baxter is foolishly ignoring the economic impact of this potential plan is to grossly underestimate a senior executive within the Disney company.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I think Tony has a much better handle on the situation than most of us. I'm sure he can show that the loss of income from a DCA gate would be more than offset by the increased dining revenues that would be brought in by the new configuration. It's not my first choice - I'd rather see them make DCA work. But to say that Baxter is foolishly ignoring the economic impact of this potential plan is to grossly underestimate a senior executive within the Disney company.

Guilty as charged. But I'll stick by my assertions without even seeing a spread sheet. Wasn't it "senior executives within the Disney company" who predicted that DCA would be so popular that people would be turned away and have to settle for Disneyland? (Post #220 on the following link)

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ht=a+look+back

There's really NOTHING about that idea that REMOTELY sounds like a step in the right direction. If this is what we have to look forward to from the Disney Imagineers, the DLR is indeed in a world of trouble.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I stand corrected. However, I am sure 20th and Paramount were notified, in addition to George Lucas. Otherwise Disney would have been faced with a HUGE lawsuit.

Ok. Let's look at it the other way around. Does one think that if Universal Studios decided to put in a ride based on The Little Mermaid, for example, that Disney would just idly stand by and let them do it?
    20th Century Fox and Parmount have no rights whatsoever over hte Star Wars Characters or the Indian Jones Characters. Lucasfilm retains full right to merchandising and things like theme park attractions with those properties. 20th Century Fox and Paramount were and are strictly distributors of the motion pictures. That's it. That's all. Those properties are otherwise owned by Lucasfilm.

• MA Reader Since 2003

Cool Re: 11/28: Tom, Huck & Jack

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910