Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: 11/28: Tom, Huck & Jack

Thanks, Al!

A very informative update. A couple of points if I may...

Very nice of WDI to pick up on the "River Pirates" part of Tom Sawyer (did they
    get it from us at MC?) As many of us mentioned, that would actually enable
    it to straddle Frontierland and NO thematically.

I agree w/ many that there is still hope for DCA. Making it an extension of DD
    is not really flawed IMHO since I can easily see it making money (like a
    carnival/fair), but it is definitely "throwing in the towel" and is a waste of
    valuable real estate. (also w/ the mall supposedly opening up on the east side,
    wouldn't that be just overkill on the retail space?)

The podmover concept is pretty much what some of the people have
    advocated here. BTW the A/C could be maintained w/ an
    external system/lining on the windows (to reflect heat)/specialized vents
    that accept heat/cooling from the external systems.
    (Just because it's enclosed doesn't mean that it doesn't have any vents!)

WDC is really bloated and not very well run (I know I'm preaching
    to the choir here). I work at a major computer company, but we don't
    have nowhere the "gotta spend, because if I don't then I don't
    get my budget next year" issue that's being described.
    BTW. WDC should implement a departmental savings account
    concept. (if a dept saves, then it gets "a % put in the bank" for next year, etc.)
    No consulting fee for this, WDC.. "-)

The organizational bloat and fiefdoms however happens in many companies (including
    mine). Sounds like someone really needs to clean house in the management levels at WDC. Unfortunately, WDC makes too much money. Losing money is a great "knife".
    This is unfortunately a legacy from the Eisner era... often it takes a layoff or two to
    three years to purge the company after that..(another sign that Matt was pretty
    good; he purged TDA's VP ranks in a year).

Really disappointed in Ed Grier's style so far. Hope his management is better.
    The jury's still out.

Anyway, my two cents...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmata View Post
    With the new TSI ideas I think it will be ok, though a beached pirate ship might still be too much. My only concern is how to get people to and from the island, as well as maintainence workers (assuming any ever go out there during non-open hours). As some pictures showed this week they had to close the island because the toilet backed up, ferry a plumbers snake machine over by raft and repair it. The only real solution is to build an underground passage (caverns??) to serve the masses and potential emergencies.
    I suggest an emergency pontoon bridge. For heavy jobs, I suggest a steel, extending bridge from the "mainland" side close to a backstage entrance/exit.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Iron-Clad Allie

The new Incredibles themed pods will absolutely ROCK. The interactive - rider controlled tilting, turning vehicles will make the ride far more fun than the former PeopleMover and Rocket Rods put together. From the ground (or the lagoon) the view of the ride will be kineticly charged.

Up yours DOSH! Creativity will always outsmart and overcome officious government bodies that are ran by overpaid, egotistical clowns who's nepetistic jobs were given to them by spineless Bozos.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I don't think the market will bear "free, plus ride tickets." This makes no sense compared to the business model in place. Disneyland was never "free, plus ride tickets."

Actually, I believe Disneyland WAS free with ride tickets at one point. Certain attractions and exhibits like Mr. Lincoln was free but most everything required a ticket.

It was much later that they decided to charge the lump sum admission price. (late 70s early 80s? anyone remember?)

Re: Incredibles People Mover, I don't believe Al said it would be 100% enclosed. It would just have the front and sides sealed. Or something.

Maybe at this point they should just bring back the rocket rods and make it slower.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Different entrance prices? Disney's never done that either.
    Not to say it's not possible, though. The big issue is the multi-day park-hoppers. They would be priced assuming either all DL or some DCA. Either way bodes ill for DCA admission, since the first prices DCA out of admissions, while the second means a big discount for DL admissions.

So, supposing a day at DCA is worth half of DL:
    1. One-day DL only: $63.
    2. One-day DCA only: $31.
    3. One-day parkhopper: $83
    4. Two-day one-park-only passes are $85 (= (63+31)*90&#37.
    5. Three-day passes (= a Two-day above and a one-day parkhopper) are $150.
    6. Four-day passes (= a Two-day above and two one-day parkhoppers) are $190.
    You are still selling the farm with this pricing. You have to look at competative pricing and price accordingly...

Using the following structure:

1. One-day DL only: $73
    2. One-day DCA only: $53
    3. One-day parkhopper: $83
    4. Two-day parkhopper: $126
    5. Three-day parkhopper: $169
    6. Four-day parkhopper: $199
    7. Five-day parkhopper: $219

Note: Pricing DCA at $ 53 both lowering the price yet pricing the park at a premium comparitively to other theme parks in the LA area...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 11-28-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Actually, I believe Disneyland WAS free with ride tickets at one point. Certain attractions and exhibits like Mr. Lincoln was free but most everything required a ticket.
    I know that a "general admission ticket" was required back up to 1966... My understanding it was before then as well. They where worth $ 2 a piece - cheap!
    Last edited by cellarhound; 11-28-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

I am so excited about this!

TSI Revamp:: Yay, fix it up, add some new stuff but keeping in harmony with Walt's orginal purpose =D I am probably one of the few people my age(16) who has uhhhh actually read Tom Sawyer XD I am excited to see what they will do to the island, but I'm not excited about the crowds and how people are going to push and b^*%$ at me because their child needs to see the Island because they are 10 years old and have priority over me. I like the idea of the beached pirate ship. Wouldn't it be cool if they replaced the pirate ship that sails around with the Mark Twain into the Black Pearl? Dear Jesus that would be too awesome for words....

People Mover: I think it looks out-dated because nothing is on there. DisneyLand can't expand so just fill in what you have. As for it being Pixar-Land. Would you rather it be, Land of Nothing? Honestly, think about how much time you actually SPEND in tomorrow land. Not much. Star Tours, Buzz LightYear, Space Mountain, maybe Autopeia, and BOOM! You're out of there. So why not have it filled it even if it is Pixar, who cares? Let the magic live! Don't be a fighter be a lover.

It's nice to know that parties were thrown, furniture/cars/etc. purchased, while the parks deteriorate. Gotta love those priorities.

Keep milking your cash cow, Disney. Eventually, it'll run dry. What will you do then? More to the point, what will you do with the angry mobs that will boycott anything with your name on it? What will you do without their money? I bet there will be quite a few shareholders upset, and heads will roll. Heck, maybe a new head honcho could convince Matt Ouimet to come back into the fold and let him run WDW. Ahhh, one can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmata View Post
    As much as I want to see the Peoplemover back, I can't believe an enclosed "pod" would work. As was already pointed out the "special smoke" problems, and body odors, and california heat (think green house) make it completely impractical. Yes you could put a A/C or blower system, but maintaining so many vehicles would not happen with the current maintainence philosphy of waiting till a refurb to do anything.
    They could put in some ac window units.(Can you imagine that hanging off the side of the people movers)

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I know that a "general admission ticket" was required back up to 1966... My understanding it was before then as well. They where worth $ 2 a piece - cheap!
    An entry ticket was always required, since opening day (according to the opening day map reproduction). I don't have the repro in front of me, but I believe opening day Disneyland admission was $1.00. Anyone know how much Tokyo Disneyland was for admission before they got rid of their ticket books? (I know they were the last one to go "unlimited passport".

• Launch sequence engaged

If it came down to smoke, why not install smoke alarms inside the pods, and give warning in the beginning of the ride?

"If you smoke during your journey, you will be ejected via the futuristic pod ejection system developed by the scientists of Tomorrow."

As for more natural odors, here's hoping it has a cost-effective ventilation system with daily inspection/repair.
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Walt actually wanted to have a "free admission" model, but the bean counters convinced him (correctly) that this would lessen the value of the experience, as well as open the gates to freeloaders.

I'm was kinda liking the idea of the pods, until I really thought about what it would be like to ride in an enclosed vehicle in and out of SoCal sunshine. It would have to be somewhat open air (screens?), which might lead to major maintenance problems. But I'm very happy that they're at least working on the idea.

And as someone has already pointed out, escapism is an incredibly powerful quality. I've always said I have 2 states of being - inside a Disney park, and outside a Disney park. There's something special about going through that turnstyle and entering a completely unique and special world. Taking that away from DCA would be a mistake, I think, and an over-reaction on Mr. Baxter's park. I'm liking the concept of he and Lasseter working together to fine tune the new concepts BEFORE any more major construction begins.

[quote=As for more natural odors, here's hoping it has a cost-effective ventilation system with daily inspection/repair.[/quote]

They could hang those little tree car air fresheners in the people movers.

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Walt actually wanted to have a "free admission" model, but the bean counters convinced him (correctly) that this would lessen the value of the experience, as well as open the gates to freeloaders.
    Free admission works for many municipal parks -> Santa Cruz Boardwalk

Trouble is, how do you pay your street entertainment? How much are you willing to pay for a seat at the Hyperion? Will there be empty seats due to pricing issues?
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Is it me, or do I sense a negative connotation by calling something "Pixarland". Disney did buy Pixar so therefore all Pixar characters are in fact Disney characters. Why is everyone so concerned about the Pixar-ization of the parks, when the park has two rides based on Twentieth Century Fox and Paramount Pictures characters?

The issue is that Tommorland is supposed to be a land looking to the future. So what do we have? Modern toys in a space setting (they didn't even make the jump to make Buzz a real spaceman), talking fish from Australia, and now rumors of modern day talking cars and an egg tansporter thing from a modern superhero film.

Pixar sets their stories in modern times. Each and every feature film has been set in the now. How does "the now" belong in a land devoted to "the future." Especially when it is cartoony and has only a slight hint of TL themes.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast