Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/28: Tom, Huck & Jack

The Latest Plans for the Island, DCA: Drama Continues Always, WDW, PeopleMovers, Turkeys and Nowhere Man. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Self service witchdoctor

Re: 11/28: Tom, Huck & Jack

Politics, Turnover, and Pork. At least Disney is no different than the rest of Corporate America. I was worried for a minute.

• What have I done?

Drama Always Continues...

An odd mixture of entertainment, DVC and a few new attractions is the future of DCA? Talk about throwing the towel in! I do admit that having DVC offerings in a park is of interest to me, though for turning it into a second area of Downtown Disney saddens me. Lets hope the origianl Lasseter plans triumph if they can ever get this place figured out.

"This guy!"

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Im happy I can live with a half Pirate/Tom island theme.
    DCA can be fixed up real fast add the Increables rollar coaster, Country Bears, Little mermaid dark ride, redo the entrance. Redo Bugs land (Its too much for the kids unlike Fantsyland) if they added a new D or E ride every year for like 6 years they would be fine.

• living to haunt

I am glad to hear that they are keeping Tom and Huck in the mix on the Island. It is really sad that so many of the old ideals are getting lost. Mixing the two sounds great. As for DCA, maybe mixing the two ideas there is a good idea also. When you are pulling in record numbers of people to a 50 year old park there is a reason...
    How about California Land...just another land in Disneyland?
    Just a thought!
    thanks for another great column!

Blog Entries

I think the extension of downtown disney would be throwing in the towel. DCA can compete, but it will require some major investment from Disney to do so. The entire park will almost have to be remade and new attractions brought in. I think Lasseters plan can work, but it will be expensive. It's just too sad that Disney went on the cheap to begin with.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

The transforming of Tomorrowland to Pixarland is nearly complete. They should move the Monster's Inc ride if they gut DCA to the Innoventions building and then slap the Pixarland sign on the area.

• Migga ala Quista!

You know.... DCA has access to the timon parking lot... I am sure it can be developed to expand and make DCA much more exciting than it is now, I have to admit I kinda like the idea of expanding downtown Disney and having some of the attractions as E- ticket rides, but then again I really like the Idea for keeping it as a park itself, I agree it all needs improvement..... I hope I'm around to expirience it all at least!

Al great Article I love it!! WE DEMAND OUR PEOPLEMOVER BACK! Ok I'll accept it being themed as the incredibles egg like pod....
    All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

~Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Is it me, or do I sense a negative connotation by calling something "Pixarland". Disney did buy Pixar so therefore all Pixar characters are in fact Disney characters. Why is everyone so concerned about the Pixar-ization of the parks, when the park has two rides based on Twentieth Century Fox and Paramount Pictures characters?

I think combining DCA into DTD is a good idea. There is the Garden District (I think that's what it is called) going in across the street, which is practically a clone of DTD. Offering rides in addition to the free shopping experience is really a different idea. The problem is, I am sure the cost of a single ride ticket is going to be at least $5 - $10.

On the issue of employee turnover, I am not an employee, but my thoughts on this issue: High turnover exists at all levels of the company, including the revolving door at the top (ie Grier, Ouimet etc...), which doesn't appear to be too stable either. So I think there is a lot more going on than just what needs to be improved at the lower levels.

• I'm not really here

Well, I'm glad to see the rumors that WDI "had something in mind" for the PM track were true. And I approve of it heartily.

I also think that the single biggest problem facing the Disney Company for the past decade or more has been and is the executives. It's going to take a very strong leader who has the courage to make some very tough and quite harsh changes. Sadly, with the way "fiefdoms", as you so elegantly put it, have historically worked, this will end up being an external shake up, an invasion. Unless there is someone in a position of power that has any sanity left, this doesn't bode well for the future.

As always, thank you for the excellent article Al. Good luck and I look forward to your next offering.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Circle of Ancients

Awesome update Al.

I think the new concept for TSI works MUCH better, and I'm glad that Tom Sawyers Island will remain, pretty much.

As for DCA ... I find Tony Baxters idea quite interesting. I've been saying for years that DCA looks MUCH better at night (I think you'd agree) and that they don't utilize that enough. I've always thought DCA should be a kind of "Pleasure Island West" and open at 3pm until midnight every day (maybe 10pm on Weekdays). This way they can utilize the fact that you can drink at DCA and also utilize the way the park looks at night.

Taking Tony's idea, take out some of the smaller rides and put in more bars and restaurants. Have Happy Hour daily, etc, etc, etc. I'd LOVE to see a Mytho's type restaurant at DCA, as I know you would too.

Maybe you can put a word in at TDA!!!

• back in Austin

Thanks, Al, for the updates. We enjoy being able to "hear it first" here at MiceAge. On a side note, I also appreciate the humor that goes into the "alt" text on the photos!

I'm thankful that you looked at the bright side of the TSI update. You could have chosen to be very gloomy about ANY pirate retheming. There doesn't seem to be much room left for Tom and Huck at this point, but at least the door is not shut on them indefinitely, and we won't be seeing palm trees on the RoA.

One issue you didn't touch was that of transporting guests to the island once it's popular again. I really wonder if they have any bright ideas on how to handle that.

• Shredder

That was a lot to take in... I can barely breathe right now from all of the changes hitting DL on the new plans for Pirate Lair and the People Mover. Very cool stuff. Thanks Al for the lovely report and refreshment. It's great to see that Pirates Lair will be themed into a combination of Tom and Sawyer like many of you had said they could. I'd love to see a new ride on the island and would also love to see the place beefed up like the report said, just as long as they keep Fantasmic!

Now as regards to the People Mover, I'm stunned. I thanked God as soon as I heard the title of the article because I was so relieved that the guys down there have been looking into it with all of this chaos going on. I would really love to see these things take place. Come on let's face it, they've got to put something on that track or else we're all going to be living in the past with an empty track above our heads to remind us of it.

The DCA plans have made me shutter... with the 700 million dollar plans looking like pipe dreams and the new Disney Entertainment Zone taking over, we may all be screwed. I can't believe that they can conjure up this stuff. I hate these plans. First it's no longer a theme park but entertainment zone with rides and attractions. Then to make it even worse, tickets or passes can only access these things! We've just left the ticket era well behind us and now they want to bring it back! Disgraceful…

I really have a hard time thinking that this will all go through after they just had some great plans, seemingly, go out the window. DCA is a theme park, and as a theme park they should keep it that way! They should just freakin' stick with the 700 million idea and not stray from it as it's the first set of ideas for the park that actually make sense. It really tears me up inside when things go from bad to worse but to see it on such a large scale is depressing and enraging!

But alas I've spoken way too much of my mind... so I guess my final thoughts are that the Pirate Lair and People Mover plans are great but as for the DCA and WDW situations are terrible. May the good lord provide escape from the retched tyranny of another Michael Eisner.
    Last edited by Vashsky666; 11-28-2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Adding More Info

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• e komo mai

Thumbs up Re: 11/28: Tom, Huck & Jack

Great update, Al.

The Cast Members at Disneyland (and other Disney parks) get treated like crud by rude guests and get paid squat for it. If Disney would just cut some of the salaries of its higher ups, they could afford to pay Disney CMs what In-n-Out pays their entry level employees. And from what I've been hearing, the higher-ups deserve a pay cut. With their do nothing attitudes and unending bureaucratic idiocy, they make the Disney company top heavy and hold the company bag from achieving great things. Pay the Cast Members more, Iger... or whoever is in charge this week...

I have no problem with the Pirate overlay now. Relate it to the Twain stories and I'm fine with it.

The Peoplemover needs to come back asap. Make the egg design hold four people and get the thing built. The track hovering above Tomorrowland is an eyesore. An unused, decaying eyesore. If they had any brains, they'd fund this right now and de-congest Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by Gemini Cricket; 11-28-2006 at 09:29 AM.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Is it me, or do I sense a negative connotation by calling something "Pixarland". Disney did buy Pixar so therefore all Pixar characters are in fact Disney characters. Why is everyone so concerned about the Pixar-ization of the parks, when the park has two rides based on Twentieth Century Fox and Paramount Pictures characters?
    Um, George Lucas characters. I don't think 20th or Paramount were even notified of these attractions.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast