Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Electronic Gadgets...and Bob Iger Too: disneytim at the Consumer Electronics Show

With humble beginnings in New York City 40 years ago, the Consumer Electronics Show began as a gathering of 200 exhibitors and 17,500 attendees. Back then, the video cassette recorder was still three years from making its debut. The camcorder and CD player wouldn't be in existence for another 14 years.

On Monday, over 140,000 men and women in the consumer electronics industry will descend on Las Vegas to sample the wares of over 2,700 vendors taking up 1.7 million square feet of exhibit space. This year, big screen TV's in high definition, handheld communication and music devices, digital downloads and content, content, content will be the focus of what has become the largest electronics trade show in the world.

Bill Gates will be there. So will Disney's Bob Iger. Dell's Michael Dell and CBS's Leslie Moonves will be on hand to deliver keynotes.

I'm here already and over the next few days I'll share my observations and experiences with you as I take on the monster of all trade shows, CES.

Oh, and btw, I'll be checking in with Mr. Iger at his keynote on Monday afternoon. I think you might be interested in what he has to say.

More to come . . . .
    Last edited by disneytim; 01-07-2007 at 11:41 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Electronic Gadgets...and Bob Iger Too: disneytim at the Consumer Electronics Show

Saturday: Press Preview Day 1

CES doesn't officially kick off until Monday, but the weekend is full of press events to focus the media's attention on what the trends are this year and who the big players will be at the show. It's a schmoozfest, to be sure, and why not? CES and its exhibiting companies want to score points early and often with the press, so Saturday began the onslaught of goodie bags, product samples, free food and open bars. It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

There is business to take care of, however, and the first press conference I go to is the "State of the Consumer Electronics Industry" presented by Sean Wango with the Consumer Electronics Association, the group that puts on CES.

Sean Wango

It's an hour of number crunching about sales trends and what's hot and what's not in consumer electronics, but there is some very relevant information. For instance, I quickly learned that:
    1. The state of the consumer electronics industry is solid, with more Americans spending more dollars and a higher percentage of their disposable incomes on products than ever before.

2. I can't afford half this stuff.
    3. I really need to upgrade from Windows ME.
    The key themes we'll see at the show are the drive towards realism (hi-def TV's and DVD's, the new generation of video games), greater connectivity (Wi-Fi, broadband, Bluetooth), greater portabilty (how many features can you cram in your cell phone?--'cuz there're more coming) and what Sean calls "disruptive distribution," which are the new ways content is distributed outside of traditional news and entertainment media (YouTube, MySpace and even MiceChat). We're challenged to "find the innovation"--the next big thing. Trust me. If you can't find something at CES to shout about, you're not looking.

The highlight of Saturday was "CES Unveiled," a preview of what we'll see once the exhibit halls officially open on Monday. I call it "CES Lite" since there only about 80 vendors and most of them are smaller companies that could use a jump start from the media. There are no huge displays here, only a few HDTV's to be seen (Monday will be HD overload), and a party atmosphere prevails with free food and drink, celebrity impersonators and lots and lots of people.

I had my share of fun. Here I am with Madonna Wannabe and Maybe Michael:

Quirky products are the order of the evening. These were my favorites:

From Interactive Toy Concepts is a radio controlled "firefly" that retails for about $69. It flies up, down, side to side and even hovers. It's for indoor use only, so beware of the breakage potential in your house.

Michael from Interactive takes one for a spin:

For the fashion-conscious laptop buyer is this sexy little number from AMD:

The Tulip Ego laptop is powered by an AMD Turion 64 processor and comes in different "skins" (the zebra stripe is also quite smart). For about five grand it can be yours.

Do you like your digital music poolside, but fear soaking your iPod? Atlantic Inc. has the answer: A watertight cover with speakers that'll keep the unit dry while you're cranking the tunes.

And did I mention it floats?

Atlantic's Waterproof Sound Case is available in stores now for $149.

We're in Vegas baby, so your visit isn't complete without music from "The King"--even if it's just from his disembodied head.

Wow Wee Electronics makes this singing Elvis that is remarkably lifelike (ok, without the arms and legs). He performs 8 classic songs and 30 Elvis monologues with synchronized mouth and head movements. It'll be in stores in June, and for $349 it's guaranteed to entertain, amuse . . . and totally creep you out.

No word on if he sings "Grim Grinning Ghosts."

For the hardcore gamer, Hotseat Chassis has this Flight Sim-Flight Ready Extreme PC bundle with a 1.8 ghz Intel processor, Nvidia 512mb video card and 2 gigs of ram arranged in this cockpit framework. The monitor is a 23" HD LCD display and the sound is pumped out in thundering Dolby 5.1 surround sound--with the subwoofer positioned directly under your seat. Available now for just under $4,000.

That's all for now. Happy landings and stay cool!

Last edited by disneytim; 01-07-2007 at 02:16 PM.

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Electronic Gadgets...and Bob Iger Too: disneytim at the Consumer Electronics Show

I would love to be able to attend this show, but you being there is the next best thing. Please keep us updated as this is a great way to see what's headed our way in 2007. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the pictures. I feel like I can be there without the crowds and walking. LOL. Have a great time and lots of fun.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

This is fascinating (and expensive) stuff. Looking forward to your continuing updates and photos. Thanks.

• The Unknown Princess

Love the report tim! Thank you!! I'm going to look for that floating ipod holder!

Though, the below product I saw for sale at Radio Shack for Christmas with the name called mosquito. If it wasn't the exact same product it was awfully similar. If it is the same one then whoo hoo I'm ahead of the trend!

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    ...snip...

From Interactive Toy Concepts is a radio controlled "firefly" that retails for about $69. It flies up, down, side to side and even hovers. It's for indoor use only, so beware of the breakage potential in your house.

...snip....
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Sunday: Press Preview Day 2

A full slate of press conferences ruled the day on Sunday. The biggest announcement was LG Electronics introduction of a new hi-def DVD player that's compatible with both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats--the first of its kind. It'll be in stores by the early Spring at a suggested retail price of $1,199. A dual-format computer drive is also being released for the same price.

Photo courtesy LG Electronics

In the evening, Bill Gates with Microsoft gave the opening keynote at the Venetian. Focusing on content, he announced partnerships with TiVo and MTV Networks that will open up new avenues to deliver content. He also hinted at a similar deal with tech/entertainment giant Sony that is still in the works. Microsoft's march to take over the civilized world continues.

On a Disney note, I did get the chance to meet with an exec with Disney Online about what's on the horizon with disney.com and some of their online games. Nothing I can comment on right now, but there will be plenty to talk about after Robert Iger's keynote this afternoon.

More to come . . .

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Monday Morning: The Calm Before the Storm

Just a few early morning pics taken at the Las Vegas Convention Center:

All these we're taken before 8:00 a.m. The show floor opens at 10:00. I'm enjoying a few last quiet moments before the crush of humanity takes over the Convention Center . . . .

Cover me. I'M GOING IN!

• The Unknown Princess

OMG That last pic has me in amazement! Booths 7000 - 15999?!?!? WOW!!! Just big WOW!!!!
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    Part of the Disney Ohana

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I officially hate you now, Tim.

Except you are holding a Sam Adams. Guess I have to like you for that.

(lucky *******...and thanks for the reports!)

•   

I heard rumors of a new iPod. Maybe a cell phone iPod. Any news on that will be appreciated!

Have a great time!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

8:00 . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    10:00 . . .

Yes, there are a few people here today.

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    I heard rumors of a new iPod. Maybe a cell phone iPod. Any news on that will be appreciated!

I heard that rumor this morning too. Haven't had a chance to verify it one way or another, though. One opinion I've heard against it is it's much harder to add a phone component and network to an MP3 player than it is the other way around, so that would be an unusual move for Apple. I'll see what I can find out.

Disney continues to be tight-lipped about what Bob Iger is going to say tonight. We know it's going to be heavily focused on disney.com and will probably involve a "Junior MySpace" component. Whatever it is, no one I've talked to at Disney will say a thing until Bob makes it official. The most I could get from a Disney Online rep was, "I'm excited about it because it's really cool and we've put a lot of time and energy into it. I'm also excited because I can't talk about it."

I'm off to register for Iger's keynote. More later . . . .

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Hey Tim, who made you the coolest person in the universe and able to share the show with us? That's awesome you lucky guy! What kind of swag are you scoring cause we've got to know so we can curse your name for being so darn lucky LOL

I can't wait to hear about what Bob Iger has to say and can't wait to see what's up with the new Disney website they are very excited about.

thanks for sharing your experience with us. You're awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Minion

I just uploaded the press release re Iger's Keynote on to the News forum.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...63#post1273363
    Check out my other blog:

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Tim the photos are GREAT! I am so getting the iPod pool case! Thanks for all the updates, can't wait to hear about Iger's speech

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• For You!

Looks like you're having a blast so far! My old boss used to go every year and always brought me about 10 new mousepads. He loved the freebies.

Can't wait for the Iger report!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast