Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Thanks, Al!
    For the update, I concur with Athlonacon that CM Matt (and co) have really done wonders
    with the place. I actually thought that rock mini-berm was a nice concept, but in practice was a terrible choke point with the Astro Orbiter and queue there. Also it violated the concept of the "weenie". Thanks also for mentioning Nemo subupdate and the Jungle Cruise update.
    Last edited by nish221; 05-24-2005 at 09:53 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Terrific July 17th Primer, Al!

I'm glad they turned Disney's Electric Parade around. Now, if they can just turn DCA around - or overhaul it, theme and all. Actually, I had contacted Disneyland and suggested that the parade cross over to Disneyland from DCA, indicating the reversal. The idea is also in one of my previous and recent posts, "5/10: 50th Launch Aftermath". They responded back that the parade floats at each of the parks are too high to negotiate the entrances/exits currently. Yet, it was indicated that this might be a possibility for the distant future. In the meantime, I am personally surprised and delighted that part of the notion is being used.

The Jungle Cruise additions are brilliant, in every sense. Regarding the photo that featured fish jumping out of the water - were they stationary, mechanical, animatronic. or what? Speaking of fish, we're all waiting with baited breath for the 17th's Finding Nemo announcement, and hopefully some of the finalized details as to the ride's description.

I don't necessarily want Rock-It Mountain to be officially revealed at the same time as Space Mountain 2, anyway This leaves something big to look forward to later. Besides, "Van Halen" needs some time to "tune-up" for that big slam bangin', perpetual rock concert in space! Oh, what a kick ***-teroid ride it will be!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-24-2005 at 01:06 PM.

• Minion

You know... if TDA is supposedly catching wise to the fact that a park with no theme and a bunch of Pixar junk is not now and WILL NEVER perform to expectations... why is it so hard to believe that they don't want to spend tens of millions of dollars to bring that kind of DCA "magic" to Tomorrowland?

"Something is better than nothing." I can't tell you how many times I've heard that argument. Yet, how many people stubbornly hold on to that dream of making DCA a parking lot again? (A silly dream, since we actually still obviously HAVE a parking lot AND the park.) Block Party Bash is something, but in terms of its cost and its actual results, it may be worse than nothing. SuperStar Monsters may be something, but aside from dragging a few APs out of Disneyland walkways every hour, it sound like the results of this project will be a big fat nothing. Plus, taking a park with great theme POTENTIAL, and adding yet another ride that actually has virtually nothing to with that theme is like skiing the slope down to worse than nothing.

Some may find that okay for DCA. When you earn an F, it doesn't matter if you had a 50% or a 0%, you still flunk just as much. But the Sub Lagoon... Why doesn't Disney's first ever E ticket deserve the sort of history-preserving love and care that attractions like Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise are getting raves for? Did the Pressler era really weaken our spirits so much that the DCA "something is better than nothing" mentality has spread to Disneyland itself?

I would have thought that Pooh made us immune to that.

And those work walls gave me hope that maybe TDA really is catching wise, and that Nemo isn't the foregone conclusion people say it is. The Nemo approach is just another "dragging a few APs out of Disneyland walkways every hour" solution, and unlike DCA, there are plenty of APs who suspect that Nemo will be the Light Magic of the decade.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Mentat

Question

I, on the other hand am bummed that Space Mountain will not have the rock soundtrack available by July. I'm from Colorado and am taking my family to Disneyland for thier first time. We can't jut pop in every month or so-- so we, of course, want maximum bang for our buck.

Having said that...

Could someone please explain what sucks so badly about DCA? Maybe some top ten reasons could help me (someone who has never been to DCA, and thinks it looks kinda pretty at night) understand the anger about this park. :confused:

Thank you for your coulumn Al! Love your writing.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Thanks for the great update Al. So happy to hear the rock-like things are leaving tomorrowland. To answer cbkonczak, DCA is a mess theme-wise, the walkways are wide open and have few to no trees. Paradise Pier is filled with rides that can be found just about anywhere and doesn't have a Disney park feel to it. As for actual attractions, there are three movie based attractions which have limited appeal to do on each visit.

One more note, great photos in the update as always.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• I Hug My Tapirs

Can I just say that those people complaining about crowding on Main St. after the fireworks can stuff it? Yeah. It's a great show. I'll deal with the crowds from it any day. And those people that call 911... well, if I ever hear someone doing that, can someone watch my back and make sure security doesn't watch me beat the snot out of them?
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    I, on the other hand am bummed that Space Mountain will not have the rock soundtrack available by July. I'm from Colorado and am taking my family to Disneyland for thier first time. We can't jut pop in every month or so-- so we, of course, want maximum bang for our buck.

Having said that...

Could someone please explain what sucks so badly about DCA? Maybe some top ten reasons could help me (someone who has never been to DCA, and thinks it looks kinda pretty at night) understand the anger about this park. :confused:

Thank you for your coulumn Al! Love your writing.
    I can certainly understand the disappointment on the part of you and your family due to the arbirary and strategic decision of TDA (Team Disney Anahein) to open the Space Mountain evening Ride/show (Rock-It Mountain) until several months later. The attraction will feature rock music from the band, Van Halen. On a positive note, as Space Mountain 2 will be debuting on July 15, and you should be among the first to experience it's new special effects. The ride's music was scored by Michael Giacchino, who wrote the, well...incredible music for the Incredibles. It should all be VERY intense and exciting!

In addition, there will be plenty of other new things: Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, the renovated Jungle Cruise and Tike Room, a new parade and fireworks show. Fantasmic! is awesome too, if you haven't seen it. Disneyland's Pooh ride and Disney's California Adventure's (DCA) It's A Bugs Land Watch out for the stinging bugs in your seat at the It's A Bugs Life 4-D show) and Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror are each still fairly new. Speaking of DCA, hopefully, the brand new Monster's Inc. dark ride will be open when you are there. Don't miss Grizzly River Run, the Aladdin show, Disney's Electric Parade, California Screamin', the brand new Turtle Talk at the Disney Animation building, and Soarin' (so amazing and popular that they have built a clone at WDW's Future World, EPCOT.

As you can see, there are several exciting things to do at California Adventure, and it doesn't completly suck. In fact, it is to a modest degree underated. You just have to take it for what it is, disorganized, somewhat generic, and much smaller in scale than Disneyland. In a nutshell, a themepark it is not. It's more like a Six Flags carnival type of park. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that TDA will rethink the place (Eisner's brainchild), all together. That being said, give it a chance. The vast majority of guests do not. It will improve the enjoyment of your stay, especially with Park Hopper passes.

I hope I've offered you some consolation, and wish you and your family a most magical and happy experience together - one to remember for a lifetime!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-24-2005 at 03:22 PM.

• Minion

Personally, I don't think DCA sucks. I do think that it earned an F on opening day, but I know a lot of quality people who have gotten an F and went on to become productive citizens, so I don't think a themepark can't similarly improve.

That said, I'll recap the main reasons DCA has inspired all the namecalling. May not total 10, but let's see.

1) It simply isn't Disneyland. Disneyland will always be the first-born, the special one. The one Walt actually walked in. DCA, on the other hand, is the brainchild of familiar Disney villains like Michael Eisner and Paul Pressler, making it the redheaded stepshild of the Disney themepark family.

2) In a related note, it just doesn't have that Disney magic. DCA was geared at competing with more teen and young-adult oriented parks. It tried to straddle the fence between amusement park and themepark, and neither side won. An early effort was made to be "hip and edgy," avoiding Disney characters (even though the competing parks have had characters like the Peanuts Gang and Looney Tunes for ages). There's also an odd lack of complex AudioAnimatronics in rides that could really benefit from them. There is no E ticket dark ride.

3) Unlike Disneyland, there is too much of the outside world inside the park. It doesn't transport you to a different time and place. A lot of times, it doesn't try to transport you any further than a half hour up the freeway. California is a rich and exciting theme, full of Adventures and Frontier spirit, Fantasies and dreams, and the exciting promise of Tomorrow... yet the park is grounded in a very contemporary and static design. Many of the classic Disney elements are missing. You have no central hub, and definitely no berm. Every time I turn around, someone is mentioning phone lines.

Those are really the key problems at the heart of DCA. Obviously, #1 can never be changed, but 2 and 3 are fixable, and it doesn't require starting from scratch. I mean, we've all heard the horror stories of Disneyland's first day. Some would even argue that Disneyland was a good kid in its infancy, but didn't really become great until it became a teenager. DCA could do the same, but it will take some commitment, some vision, and some cold hard cash.

Then, they can fix other problems like
    4) Too many off-the-shelf rides
    5) Too many clones
    6) Too many theater attractions (3-D, movies, live performers)
    7) Too many factory tours and exhibits
    8) Too much emphasis on food and shopping
    9) Not enough attractions
    10) Not enough for the family to do together

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

sorry i think it's lame that people say there's not enough rides at Disneyland Resort and that there hasn't been that many good things as of late..... I love DCA yea it might only have like 6 rides thats people want to go on but come on when "Disneyland" First opened it had like 4 rides [all together] and a couple of shows based on Disney TV. Yes i believe DCA can use some improvement but all of you who hate DCA thats lame because if it was all what you want it to be it would be Another "Disneyland" and lets face it none of us want "Another" Disneyland because d-land is a magical place for us all. Lets be Thankful for what we do have..... Hey Atleast we don't have "Hong Kong Disneyland" or "Paris Disneyland" or even the "Magic Kingdom Florida" we have the ORIGINAL!!!!! Nothing could ever beat that. I believe with the new leadership of the parks that DCA will be fixed and over time i think it will some of the best rides in the world..... So all of you who think DCA should be a parking lot, suck it up Ride Soaring and calm yourselves down because we all know someday [hopefully sooner than later] DCA is going to be that full day E-ticket Park......

• Mentat

Those are some compelling justifications for the negativity about DCA. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I am anxious to critique it myself in September...

Being that I am a former WDW cast member, I hold dear the idea that a Disney resort experience is, in fact, a great show. The magic that compelled me to pick up and move 2000 miles to work for The Mouse has SO MUCH to do with the "suspension of disbelief" that Disney creates. When reading your list of reasons DCA is currently subpar, I find the fact that you can see "the real world" the most serious issue.

• Official Mice Chat person

I'm VERY GLAD(words can't describe how glad) that they are getting rid of the giant cement stones blocking the entrance to tommorowland.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkersmell
    Thanks for the great update! I hope that when they announce the plans for Tomorrowland that there are plans for an updated Peoplemover! I'm so happy to see all this attention paid to the Park!
    Actually, Al was pretty suttle, if not sly, when, in this update, he spoke of the coming July 17th People Mover related announcement. He stated that "The People Mover track ...could be announced along with Nemo when they finally spill the beans". So, we can be assured that TDA will come up with an absolutely cool ride for the track. Whether it's an updated version of the People Mover, we will have to wait. We could be in for anything, from Lucas-based racing "Star Cycles" to a futuristic roller coaster - perhaps a new version of the Rocket Rods.

Well, Stinkersmell, as a former cast member, please keep us apprised. If any of those beans should spill early, I' have every confidence that you will be the first to smell them.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-24-2005 at 07:40 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Those are some compelling justifications for the negativity about DCA. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I am anxious to critique it myself in September...

Being that I am a former WDW cast member, I hold dear the idea that a Disney resort experience is, in fact, a great show. The magic that compelled me to pick up and move 2000 miles to work for The Mouse has SO MUCH to do with the "suspension of disbelief" that Disney creates. When reading your list of reasons DCA is currently subpar, I find the fact that you can see "the real world" the most serious issue.
    I am pleased that you were able to benefit from a couple of opinions on this, my own included.

Thank you.

• Minion

Well, I'm just glad that you're going to critique it for yourself. There are a lot of people out there who will hear negative things about DCA and just decide it's not worth the visit, and that this the absolute wrong conclusion to draw... PErsonally, I liken the park to Sleeping Beauty. It' comes from a noble line, and it's got its magical elements, but it's waiting patiently for someone who truly understands and appreciates its potential to bring it to life.

-- Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

You're welcome for the lowered expectations. I predict you'll think it wasn't so bad.
    Just take note of how much time you spend in DCA versus DL. I'm gathering data for a secret project.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast