Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• IZTUAZU!!!

An announcement for the PeopleMover track? Maybe they'll turn it into the Tomorrowland Transit Authority or they could just bring back Rocket Rods (Zooming through Tomorrowland at 20 mph, 5 mph at a turn).

Anyway, good job Al, as always!
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

My question is what is Pressler/Harris era execs still doing at TDA? You'd think that they either get with the program or be shown the door. "Their" bosses are gone, and if Dinseyland doesn't do it for them, then they should be gone also.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    PErsonally, I liken the park to Sleeping Beauty. It' comes from a noble line, and it's got its magical elements, but it's waiting patiently for someone who truly understands and appreciates its potential to bring it to life.
    Your DCA analogy is quite exquisite. I guess that I've grown accustomed to criticizing DCA-land - Disneyland's themeless land that lies beyond the berm, and across the esplanade. Alas, it was a conscious revelation today that I actually have an affection for the place. Should somebody put the park down completely, it would be worth countering.

One could also compare the park to a Cinderella scenario:

DCA: A Cinderella Story In The Making

She - the park - put forth a spirited race via a golden coach to an elegant and magical ball. Once there, the search was on for Prince Charming, so then she might be swept away and live as a part of The Happiest Place On Earth forever after. Instead, early in the evening, she kissed a frog prince (Pressler), gagged on some flies and nearly croaked.

Shortly before midnight, the "true prince" revealed himself (Matt Oimet). Only, the time had drawn short. The clock struck midnight, and as she fled, her fine apparel turned to rags; her coach became a poorly maintained Orange Stinger; her attendants became ratty looking untrained cast members. She did leave a glass slipper (Soaring Over California) behind. When the prince found Cinderella, the slipper fit perfectly, but she - the park - was still a mess. Now he must bring her back to his kingdom (TDA and WDI) and apply lots of pixie dust (money + creativity + hard work) in order to make her as splended as the Fairy Godmothers (the spirit of Walt Disney - and his nephew Roy) had intended.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-24-2005 at 09:58 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Rock-It Rods! Yeah Baby, Zoom!

Quote Originally Posted by J.B.Opie
    An announcement for the PeopleMover track? Maybe they'll turn it into the Tomorrowland Transit Authority or they could just bring back Rocket Rods (Zooming through Tomorrowland at 20 mph, 5 mph at a turn).
    Wouldn't it rule if they came up with a ride called the "Rock-It Rods", which would be synergized to the music and theme of Rock-It Mountain. In fact, this is what I'm going to call the Rock-It Mountain vehicles anyway.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Al, thanks for the words that people haven't forgotten that the REAL DL birthday is yet to come, and we're expecting even bigger and better things! Hopefully that's a note that will ring on up to Matt.

The TL entry rocks being removed! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I can't wait for the day that anything to do with TL98 will be only a bad memory. Let's just hope that TL can really have some spectacular attractions and number of attractions it used to have. And don't forget that Innoventions Is Still the worst monster of TL98, and must be eliminated. We need an attraction as enjoyable as CoP and AS, only THEN will we know there is a great big beautiful tomorrow.

I was walking down Main Street with one of the managers, shortly after 05-05-05. He pointed out the windows with a display similar to Walt's Apt. I was astounded and surprised, and pleased that Disney decided to have this kind of display on Main Street!

And regarding the DCA makeover. Wow! This really sounds like major type of investment to this Frankenstein child of Eisner. It sounds like Disney may really be making an investment, probably the amount they initially spent on just the DCA portion of the park. There are only a couple areas in DCA that would remain untouched, that would be the Grand Californian entrance, Condor Flats and the Majority of Grizzly Peak.

The Main Things that NEED to be done, in getting rid of the DCA theme altogether, would be:

1. ALL of Paradise Pier and Route 66 and the Lake, and especially the coaster disguised as a coaster. The MOST Idiotic Imbecilic Idea to EVER HIT ANY DISNEY PARK ANYWHERE! NOTHING should remain of this Insulting area ever to come from Imagineering.

2. The Entry to DCA. The Whole Postcard Image entry to DCA is the least spectacular entry to and Disney park. You need a berm, to create a magical entry to a place that takes you to a different time and place, and a fairly long entry area with shops, before you see a variety of places you can choose from. This will require some major restructuring of this park, but I really think its necessary.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Thanks for another great update, Al!

I thought something was funky on Saturday's 3 PM POD when they only had one parade stop down in the town square, and then got off stage as fast as they could. It was brutally hot, though, and probably worse in some of those costumes.

It seems as if what you see on the stops for each float (and where the stops are) are sort of variable, too--but the parade at night with the lighting effects is also impressive.

Why oh why didn't they release the audio soundtrack for it?
    The parade must be awsome at night. Lucky you! Can't wait to see it this summer. Which floats make use of water effects? I'll bet the water in conjunction with the lighting is stunning to no end.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-24-2005 at 09:56 PM.

• Minion

Well... one quick thought about Ouimet. He has done an incredible job of stewardship in Disneyland. He used a lot of elbow grease to restore Disneyland to its golden self, just in time.

But DCA, while hardly a sow's ear, does not live up to the glimmer of the Golden State it is supposed to represent. You can't just slap some paint on it, theme some trashcans, add some fish to GRR and a floating head in ToT, throw some fireworks over it and call it complete. This is gonna be one bad mamma jamma of an upgrade. With Big Brother shattering attendance projections just across the street, and the 2fers correcting one of the original problems with DCA that I forgot to mention*, DCA is STILL underperforming. It's possible that TDA and the like simply set DCA's projections disproportinally high. After all, ToT didn't seem to add much to DCA's attendance, in large part I suspect because it only added about a half hour of draw to the park. And for many many people, something like a Pixar parade is going to add absolutely no draw. In fact, without something like the DRR, and thus no alternate escape route, such a parade would herd people away from DCA for fear or being showstopped to death...

Elevating DCA requires a whole different skillset than Disneyland. And judging from something like Monsters, the all but confirmed Nemo overlay, the persistent Woodyland rumors, and so on... I just don't know if Matt is DCA's prince, or just one charming frog.

*11) Charging full price for what is, at best, a half-day park
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

It's possible that TDA and the like simply set DCA's projections disproportinally high.
    I think if TDA set the projections to a more realistic level, then the expected internal rate of return does not result in the forecast. That would imply that some "correction" on the amortization of the construction is in order.
    Expect this as soon as Eisner is gone, though.
    Still, it's kind of hard to project those attendance figures and NEVER reach them.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Well... one quick thought about Ouimet. He has done an incredible job of stewardship in Disneyland. He used a lot of elbow grease to restore Disneyland to its golden self, just in time.

Elevating DCA requires a whole different skillset than Disneyland. And judging from something like Monsters, the all but confirmed Nemo overlay, the persistent Woodyland rumors, and so on... I just don't know if Matt is DCA's prince, or just one charming frog.
    R-r-r-rivet!

Only time will tell. In line with the sage lyrical philosophy of the late great John Lenon, "All we are say-y-y-ing is give Matt a chance!"

Frog Joke

A sister and brother are talking to each other when the little boy gets up and walks over to his Grandpa and says, "Grandpa, please make a frog noise." The Grandpa says, "No." The little boy goes on, "Please, please make a frog noise."

The Grandpa says, "No, now go play." The little boy then says to his sister, "Go tell Grandpa to make a frog noise." So the little girl goes to her Grandpa and says, "Please make a frog noise." The Grandpa says, "I just told your brother no and I'm telling you no." The Grandpa says, "But tell me, why do you want me to make a frog noise?"

The little girl replied, "Because mommy said when you croak we can go to Disney World!"

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Great article as always Al. Keep up the good work, I especially like this article Can't wait for your next one!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Only time will tell. In line with the sage lyrical philosophy of the late great John Lenon, "All we are say-y-y-ing is give Matt a chance!"
    Nothing wrong with giving him a chance. I'm just saying, the proof is in the pudding, and I'm waiting for a bowl.

I'm not putting him on my dart board, but I'm not hanging his poster above my bed either. I'm just reserving judgment.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Loved it Al

Are you feeling ok? You are downright cheery these days. Almost no fun reading in a weird kinda backwards bizarro way.

LOVED the trash cans too!

Thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Just take note of how much time you spend in DCA versus DL. I'm gathering data for a secret project.
    Will do!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Nothing wrong with giving him a chance. I'm just saying, the proof is in the pudding, and I'm waiting for a bowl.

I'm not putting him on my dart board, but I'm not hanging his poster above my bed either. I'm just reserving judgment.
    I suppose Matt's effectiveness will hinge for a large part on Bob Iger's willingness to finance sweeping changes and major projects, as well as his management style. For that matter, Roy Disney's lawsuit might even culminate in Iger being replaced. Should this happen, perhaps the leftover Pressler execs at TDA will be given their walking papers too.

It has been said, "Strike while the iron is hot." Taking everything else into consideration, this is just exactly what Matt has/is doing. I certainly do not feel burned yet.

The jury may be out, but let time be the judge. In the end, I think the gavel will come down on Matt's side. Just the same, I don't think I would want his poster in my bedroom either. Yuck!

In the next few years, the rumored new e-ticket (possibly an LIM coaster adventure or an Incredibles themed Robo-coaster) should help the park quite a bit.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    In the next few years, the rumored new e-ticket (possibly an LIM coaster adventure or an Incredibles themed Robo-coaster) should help the park quite a bit.
    See... that's exactly what I hope does NOT happen. The park needs a major dose of Theme, not thrill.

-- Walt Disney

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast