Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    See... that's exactly what I hope does NOT happen. The park needs a major dose of Theme, not thrill.
    Can't we have both?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Nice to hear that the fake rockwork will be going away at the Tomorrowland entrance, but they will have to disguise the door to the Astro Orbitor equipment room somehow. (Go look for the walkway gap in the rocks on the north side, then circle around at the King Triton Fountain and look down the little "canyon.")

People are wondering why the Subs are getting only the Nemo overlay and "freshening up" - because even with the costs of rehabbing all the Submarines, moving the Autopia shop, and rebuilding the load/unload dock area, it would still cost (rough guess) $250 Million more to rip everything in the "Basement" out where the Subs run and start over.

Making any building or track routing changes for the Subs would be a massive project including shutting down or severely reworking Autopia on the "First Floor" of the building, and possibly relocating the Monorail and Peoplemover beams on the "Second Floor", and that isn't going to happen soon.

DCA is going to be a "half-day" park until they make a reason for people to visit more than every 5 years. The theme was a bad idea to begin with - if you want to go see Graumann's Chinese Theatre, you hop in the car, go an hour north, and go TO Graumann's. Same thing with the beach, or the mountains, or the desert, or the vast rolling farmlands of the Central Valley. (Feedlot Aroma, yeah, that's something I always look forward to... )

I haven't been into DCA since January, it doesn't thrill me. I go see what's changed, do one ride on Screamin' or Soarin', visit with a few friends I might run into, and bail for the other side. And if a majority of the local area residents think the same way (Disneyland gets the bulk of once-a-year visitors and many of the AP's from locals in a roughly 4-hour driving radius) DCA is Never going to make a go of it under this theme.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    The parade must be awsome at night. Lucky you! Can't wait to see it this summer. Which floats make use of water effects? I'll bet the water in conjunction with the lighting is stunning to no end.
    One of the rolls of film I'm waiting to get back from the lab is POD at night, which has some very nice effects.

If I recall correctly, there's water on the Little Mermaid, and on Lion King. I can't remember if Alice in Wonderland had water, too. We also didn't notice until the last night that the tree on the back of Lion King rises up during a show stop so Tarzan (?) can swing from a rope.

Please, someone, release the sound track!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DifrntDrmr
    Can't we have both?
    Yes, we can have both Thrill and Theme. But, with Screamin, GRR, and ToT, that's kind of enough for a good long while. Especially if all the additions are going to be more coasters, which are by virtue of their speed minimally themed, or the RoboCoaster proposals, which pose many problems for a family-oriented themepark, especially when they try to throw the Incredibles into the California theme where they don't belong.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

See... that's exactly what I hope does NOT happen. The park needs a major dose of Theme, not thrill.
    Yes, we can have both Thrill and Theme. But, with Screamin, GRR, and ToT, that's kind of enough for a good long while. Especially if all the additions are going to be more coasters, which are by virtue of their speed minimally themed, or the RoboCoaster proposals, which pose many problems for a family-oriented themepark, especially when they try to throw the Incredibles into the California theme where they don't belong.
    GRR, ToT, Screamin' (and the other Paradise Pier thrill rides) do offer a full slate in the extreme. However, I have a fancy for an LIM coaster/dark ride along the lines of Universal's Revenge of the Mummy ride, only better, Hong Kong Disneyland is talking about a Pirates/Spash Mountain hybrid. Something like that for DCA would be a blast.

Overall, however, you are correct in your assertion that the thrill ride vs. family ride ratio is way out of balance. DCA could use several more dark rides - such as the proposed Little Mermaid ride, or a two-story spinning turtle, dry for wet Nemo ride like the one at DLP Studio's (perhaps skipping Nemo and opting for something with a California specific theme). Why not a long track ride along the lines of Casey, Jr. Circus Train, or a boat ride like Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World, or Storybook Land Canal Boats?

Matt has suggested that he's looking at a Pirates-like e-ticket. Well, a Western River Expedition/Splash Mountain hybrid is rumored for Disneyland Paris. That would work for me at DCA. Plus, there are all sorts of rides at Tokyo DisneySea (the DC Electric Railway, the Sinbad dark ride, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mermaid Lagoon, Aquatopia, etc.) that would be great either as direct clones or inspirational models at DCA. I also liked the old proposal of bringing back the Country Bear Jamboree.

They are apparently considering a new theme for DLP more seriously than ever before. So long as everything's hodge-podge, the park will continue in the absence of a uniform theme. Whether they decide to mske it more California aclamated, or change to another theme all together, it will be nice to see the park blossom into a genuine themepark (on the order of Disneyland, DisneySea, and the gates at WDW) someday.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-25-2005 at 04:42 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    One of the rolls of film I'm waiting to get back from the lab is POD at night, which has some very nice effects.

If I recall correctly, there's water on the Little Mermaid, and on Lion King. I can't remember if Alice in Wonderland had water, too. We also didn't notice until the last night that the tree on the back of Lion King rises up during a show stop so Tarzan (?) can swing from a rope.

Please, someone, release the sound track!
    Fantastic! I hope you will be able to post one or two of the pictures onto this site sometime, or some of the pictures you take in the future with a digital camera. Regardless, let me know how the pictures turned out. The floats sound like they were a spectacular sight to behold..

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    Those are some compelling justifications for the negativity about DCA. Thank you for taking the time to spell it out. I am anxious to critique it myself in September...

Being that I am a former WDW cast member, I hold dear the idea that a Disney resort experience is, in fact, a great show. The magic that compelled me to pick up and move 2000 miles to work for The Mouse has SO MUCH to do with the "suspension of disbelief" that Disney creates. When reading your list of reasons DCA is currently subpar, I find the fact that you can see "the real world" the most serious issue.
    Let me know what your favorite attractions are. It's fun to compare notes.

• DLR CM

DL's 50th.

I am a DL cast member (CM) and I love your site!!! I am a survivor of May 5th. I worked almost 10 hours on Main Street that day! We don't even want to think what July 17 will be like, plus it's on a Sunday!!! I would like to comment on the new and improved Space Mt. You mentioned in your column that the tracks were exactly the same as on the old attraction according to TDA cm's who have ridden it. For many months backstage you could see into Space Mountain and it was totally gutted! It was an empty shell. Why would they do the track the same??? Guess I'll just have to see for myself.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KittyK
    Why would they do the track the same??? Guess I'll just have to see for myself.
    Financial and timely reasons.
    1. Space was closed suddenly.
    2. Space had to be reopened as soon as possible.
    3. Hong Kong DL had ordered track with the identical layout to ODL (O for "Original").
    4. High-level people simply ordered an identical, second track, which could be made at the same time as HKDL's track, so it wouldn't take nearly as long to make as a completely different new one.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Let me know what your favorite attractions are. It's fun to compare notes.
    Well, I was a beta tester for Splash Mountain-- and hold a certain affinity for the ride. I do think the "splash" is bigger at WDW. Muppet Vision 3-D is kinda cheesy, but one of my favorites. I absolutley adore the Haunted Mansion. I am also a giant Pirates fan-- but DL is obviously superior to WDW. I think all take a person away from reality just enough to make them believe they are experiencing reality in some sense. OH, and I loved the old Horizons at Epcot-- but, like the Carousel of Progress, things move on, I guess...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    Well, I was a beta tester for Splash Mountain-- and hold a certain affinity for the ride. I do think the "splash" is bigger at WDW. Muppet Vision 3-D is kinda cheesy, but one of my favorites. I absolutley adore the Haunted Mansion. I am also a giant Pirates fan-- but DL is obviously superior to WDW. I think all take a person away from reality just enough to make them believe they are experiencing reality in some sense. OH, and I loved the old Horizons at Epcot-- but, like the Carousel of Progress, things move on, I guess...

What an honor to have participated as a "beta tester" for Splash Mountain - although I don't know what "beta" means in this instance. Most peoplle would give their "eye-tooth" to do something like that! Splash does appear to have a bigger "ZippityDoDah" to it at WDW. Interestinly enough, there's a buzz going round that a Pirates/Splash fusion (Pirates Mountain) is being planned for the second phase of Hong Kong Disbeyland.

Haunted Mansion might be creaky, but it never gets old. Rumor has it that a Haunted Mansion Holiday (based on The Nightmare Before Christmas)) will be installed permanently at WDW. As for Horizons, I never had the pleasure of seemg it. However, the choice of an environmental finale (space, the desert, or beneath the sea), along with the attraction's overall positive peak into the future would have been an unparalelled experience. Mission: Space is great too. Nevertheless Disney should have cleared new land at Epcot for the new thrill ride, and kept the more family oriented Horizons. World of Motion - I'm not that sad that it was traded off for Test Track.

Muppet Vission is a cheap sensation, but, just the same, it's fun. My favorite 4-D show is It's Tough To Be A Bug - especially the surprise "stingging" people get at the end. That show is fresh and amazing! Anyway, I'm anxious to know what your favorite DCA attractions are when you critique them during your visit to the Disneyland Resort.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-28-2005 at 09:17 AM.

• Minion

Retro Ticket Book!

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Great Update!
    I loved seeing the pics of memorbilia instead of plush inside the windows.
    I was thinking how neat it would be to have a Commemorative Ticket Book
    for July 17th! It would look like the old tickets (A-E), but with the new
    attractions in it. It would be a ticket nightmare in somehow using both
    methods, but it would be kind of cool again to actually tear out a ticket
    and get on a ride "the old fashioned way." Although, I believe no one
    would use them. They could also be all printed on goldenrod paper too in
    keeping up the gold theme throughout the park.

THEY CANNOT THINK OF ANYTHING FOR THE OFFICIAL ANNIVERSARY DATE???????? (besides cupcakes)

YOU
    HAVE
    GOT
    TO
    BE
    J O K I N G!!!!!!!!!

Don't they have ANYONE creative at Disney anymore??????????

Cupcakes.....this is incredible

If I've been told correctly, the SPACE MOUNTAIN re-hab was due to the aging track. Yes it will be the same lay-out (although I thought I heard the re-entry tunnel is longer).

What I don't understand is this: why was the old track in such bad shape that they had to replace it (and spend TWO years doing so??)?

I mean, it's an INDOOR coaster, so there's no weathering, no water, or anything like that!! Why wasn't it still in good shape?

Mattahorn is older, it's outside for a deal of the time adn includes some water.....so why did SM fair so badly??

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Mousing Around
    If I've been told correctly, the SPACE MOUNTAIN re-hab was due to the aging track. Yes it will be the same lay-out (although I thought I heard the re-entry tunnel is longer).

What I don't understand is this: why was the old track in such bad shape that they had to replace it (and spend TWO years doing so??)?

I mean, it's an INDOOR coaster, so there's no weathering, no water, or anything like that!! Why wasn't it still in good shape?

Mattahorn is older, it's outside for a deal of the time adn includes some water.....so why did SM fair so badly??
    I believe there were a lot of problems with cracks in the track due to metal fatigue, and it was getting too expensive to locate and repair cracks everytime the pressure alarms went off.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast