Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/24: Truly Golden 50th

More Disneyland Fireworks & Parade Tweaks, DCA Continues to Struggle, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Senior Minion

Al thanks for the update.
    It is not surprising that there are still remnants of Pressler and Hariss leftovers that really aren't in tune with what changes are slowly coming.
    What really is a surprise, is the CM'S that don't actually know the date of the Dl's anniversary. You'd think these folks would get a brief history or summary of the special dates of the park.

Agian thanks for the update, It is always nice to sit down with my coffee and Bagel and read up on the latest events at our favorite park.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Junior Senior

Daaaaamn! Al, you've truly gone optimistic on us! I've been reading you for how many years now, and I really don't think I've ever seen you this downright cheery. It does the heart good.

One thing, though - it may not be the best idea to joke about how much Disney owns the politicians et al in Anaheim. While it does seem that way, especially since the construction if DCA where the freeways of the entire city were reorganized, you never know when some minor city official is going to read your article, be annoyed that he's basically been portrayed as absolutely clawless on a relatively high-traffic Dis commentary site, and decide that it's finally time to crack down on Disney. I'd tiptoe around the Anaheim politicos, regardless of how much of their power they appear to use on an everyday basis - no need to offend anyone who has any ability to affect this fireworks show.

• Know More Than You Should

Great update Al! I really do wonder about July 17, 2005. Its funny, what with all of the hubbub about it being Disneyland's 50th anniversary, you'd think TDA would think about what their going to do ON Disneyland's 50th anniversary. Ah well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• FastPass n00b

Thanks Al, as always your columns are more in-depth than anyone's. I am so glad they are still working on the "small things" of Tomorrowland because those rocks have been bugging me since the first day that update opened. It really creates a bottleneck and I was wondering if they'd ever remove them now that there's a more logical TDA in the building out back. I'm not worried about the major issues of Tomorrowland anymore, Matt Ouimett has proven he's right on top of those, it's now the smaller issues I'm concerned about. Stuff like the rockwork, the horrible choice of vegetation (all edible stuff?), and overall flow of the Land that I'm worried about now. But, considering just a few years ago I was worried about the ENTIRE Land, I'd say Matt has done an excellent job because new vegetation and removal of rockwork are insignificant compared to empty shells of rides, depressing colors and deterioration beyond imagination.

I'm not so sure about taking out the larger trees and opening up the entire hub though. Doesn't this seem more like a permanent solution for a "temporary" show? After all, the show is only expected to last for 18 months AFAIK and the hub will be around a lot longer than that. It takes decades to grow trees that big and lush and opening up the hub might be great for crowd control for the fireworks show, but I'm really concerned what it will do for the overall feel of the area. I guess I'd feel better about it if it wasn't in direct response to a temporary fireworks show. If they did it just for the sake of opening it up or taking out tall trees to return the proper scale of the area it would've been a lot better reason.

• FastPass n00b

By the way, Thurl Ravenscroft has died at age 91. He had such a unique voice and gave Disneyland such a unique feel. But I guess the downside to having a unique voice is that once it's gone, it's gone forever. At least we still have so much from Thurl still in the park today. This is truly a loss.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 05-24-2005 at 07:56 AM.

•   
    • Minion

Thanks Al,

Those attendance figgures are particularly interesting, at least to me... I do wonder what the mix of AP to Passport holders are... I still think they must be happy that attendance is up for the resort in general...

And what of DCA? Hmmm... I would love to have Iger explain bulldozing DCA to the shareholders... We'll see...
    Check out my other blog:

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Thanks Al! Great update. Loved the trash can!

The attendance at DCA makes total sense to me. Think about it. If you have $53 to spend, are you going to go to a full day park celebrating it's 50th Anniversary, with several refurbished attractions, new parade and fireworks, or are you going to spend it on a half day park with four solid rides and a few shows built in?

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Thnx for the update, AL. I can't wait til next summer when I get to come over to DL and check out all of the stuff you are talking about. I think that it will be a truely wonderful experience.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

Great update, Al, as always!

The only question I have is why would people call 911 on their cell phones while in the big crowds after the fireworks? What are they calling for?

Dan

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoran
    Great update, Al, as always!

The only question I have is why would people call 911 on their cell phones while in the big crowds after the fireworks? What are they calling for?

Dan
    Try to remember that many of these people are the same boneheads who dial 911 to get information.

And let me now vent my frustration at the delay of "Rockit Mountain". I was looking forward to hearing some Halen on my favorite Disney ride this summer.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Thank you, Al. I cannot tell you how happy I am to read that those dreadful rocks blocking the entrance to Tomorrowland are finally going to disappear. I have so despised those gawd-awful things! On a recent visit to Disneyland, I was quite impressed with the rehab of the Jungle Cruise, enjoyed the interesting window displays and generally marvelled at how nice looking everything has gotten lately. As I look around at the positive changes occuring in the park, a single question recurs in my head that I would love to ask former management: "What were you thinking!?"
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Senior Minion

Thanks for another great update, Al!

I thought something was funky on Saturday's 3 PM POD when they only had one parade stop down in the town square, and then got off stage as fast as they could. It was brutally hot, though, and probably worse in some of those costumes.

It seems as if what you see on the stops for each float (and where the stops are) are sort of variable, too--but the parade at night with the lighting effects is also impressive.

Why oh why didn't they release the audio soundtrack for it?

• Traveler to the south

Thanks for the great update! I hope that when they announce the plans for Tomorrowland that there are plans for an updated Peoplemover! I'm so happy to see all this attention paid to the Park!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast