Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well about the deluxe hotel guests getting enhanced fastpasses, I believe that if it is perceived that a large number of the fastpass line people are the deluxe hotel guests, I do think that will start to cause some resentment. I think a more fair, and doable way of implementing enhanced fastpass, would be to make it something that you pay for, and make it available at all the Disney hotels. But in order to make it doable, so that not too many of these enhanced ones are given out, is to make it fairly expensive, so that only the people who really want it badly end up paying the price and getting it added on to their package. Something like making it an extra $100 a day or something, would really limit the amount of these that they sell, but at the same time making it available to anyone at any Disney hotel who really wants or needs that perk that badly. And resentment would be less too, because people seeing other people with one would know they really paid a pretty penny to have that particular perk, but that they weren't necessarily a rich person staying at the Grand Floridian. I doubt that even most of the deluxe resort guests would pay that much more just to have that- some would, but it wouldn't be like all the deluxe people had it and the others didn't, it would just be whoever decided they wanted to pay for that option. And if you had a doable number of these enhanced fastpasses, it wouldn't affect the number of regular fastpasses given out by that much. Say you had like 25,000 hotel rooms like Disney has, and maybe 2,000 of those rooms, if that, opt for this, then that sounds like a reasonable number that wouldn't affect the other fastpasses, especially spread out over 4 parks. Gee, I should be making this pitch to Disney....

• Iron-Clad Allie

You make a fine pitch, freediverdude. I bought it!

The hierarchy system associated with Enhanced Fastpass (should the rumor to implement it prove true) is liable to generate all kinds of resentment among regular guests while they are visiting the parks. It would be imperative in the long run that they seriously modify it somehow.

Actually, it would make more sense to at least sell Enhanced Fastpass tickets inside the parks, if Disney gives the premium to hotel guests for free. In this manner the Company could inflate it's hotel profits, plus make additional money at the parks - and everybody's essentially happy.

Of course, the Company would use the hierarchy mechanism to prod people to stay at the more expensive hotels. This could create a little animosity among the guests that do not have the most expensive suites. Disney would probably be better off to forget the multi-tiered system in favor of a flat Fastoass, offering the same advantages to all hotel guests.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-29-2005 at 12:02 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Finally got back from a trip out of town.

establishing an Enhanced FastPass that would enable guests at certain Disney’s hotels to hold FastPasses at multiple locations at once (see line 248 in the patent for more details).
    WHY!?! It's bad enough that you have to sit around and watch Average Joes pass by you in line to Whatever Mountain (whereas previously you were only bumped in line to let through former Presidents and pop stars,) but now you'll get to watch those Joes ride it multiple times before you can get on?

Again, it must be stressed, WHY!? Money/Greed can't be that much of an issue here, because they can fill the luxury-tier hotels easily whether they give the people there multiple fastpasses of their choice in advance or not.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    WHY!?! It's bad enough that you have to sit around and watch Average Joes pass by you in line to Whatever Mountain (whereas previously you were only bumped in line to let through former Presidents and pop stars,) but now you'll get to watch those Joes ride it multiple times before you can get on?

Again, it must be stressed, WHY!? Money/Greed can't be that much of an issue here, because they can fill the luxury-tier hotels easily whether they give the people there multiple fastpasses of their choice in advance or not.
    Lest we forget, Kevin is correct in his assertion that targeting tourists at Walt Disney world means more capital, which, in turn, translates into growth - new parks, additional high-caliber rides, shows and other attractions, etc. He also affirmed that the vast majority of guests at the parks are tourists, and the largest percentage of this group stay at on-site Disney hotels. On top of this, the attractions that locals ride/see average far less than the tourist - especially the "commando" style tourist.

Therefore, there's a natural safety net that serves to offset the inconvenience to locals, to a degree. With all of this in mind, I'm wondering if Kevin could give us a rough idea as to what percentage of available hotel rooms at WDW are booked and occupied annually. Whatever the case, it is logical that hotel guests should have an Enhanced FastPass system that allows them to board/attend attractions sooner than regular guests.

Still, the "build it and they will come" philosophy will always remain the best way of attracting new guests. So, Enhanced FastPass should be minimalized. I agree with you, MickeyMania, that it would be unnecessary and absurd to "enable guests at certain Disney's hotels to hold multiple Fastpass's at multiple locations at once. First, this form of preferential treatment would create resentment among two sets of people - the regular locals, and Disney's hotel guests that do not qualify for the premium, due to their hotel and/ or room being less luxurious. Plus, such a program would be a waist because multiple FastPass holders, due to different physical limitations, would not make it to every ride they are entitled to. In other words, lines for regular guests and regular FastPass holders would be slowed down in order to "save a place in line" for "multiply enhanced" guests that don't even show up in many cases.

As I have stated earlier in this thread, all WDW hotel guests should be given the same type of Enhanced FastPass. "Forget" the hierarchy system! Disney could increase growth by extending the brnrfit to off site Disney-friendly hotels as they already do with traditional FastPass. Heck, they should even extend the premium to Universal hotel guests who, let's say, show Disney their Univesal Express's as proof. After all, I remember when Universal showed up at WDW's door in an effort to lure Disney guests away.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-29-2005 at 06:39 PM.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by davedc32
    What about the family who saves for years for the possibly single chance to visit WDW? Are they any less important than the rich family who can afford to just "drop everything" and pop in to WDW? Or the family who is rich enough. to make their annual or even semi-annual visits? Those of us who plan and hope and pray to just be able to get there deserves more than an "oh well, I guess we'll let you guys in to, just don't bother the rich folks, because that's who we really want" treatment or feeling.
    I think that the magic Dinsey creates is worth paying for. Period. It doesn't matter what your income is. That is your problem, so to speak. I certainly can't blame Disney for attempting to have more guests stay on property. You do, in fact, get what you pay for in regards to lodging, meal plans, etc. when you look at the value vs. price.

REMEMEBER-- It is a business.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Planning

There's a lot of rooms that need to be filled in the future, and you never know what direction the economy's going to take from one year to the next. As big as Disney is (and traditionally big hearted in a lot of ways), it still has to behave as a business to a large extent - or the magic could gradually fade away someday, and the Company go bust. I suppose it has to take measures in order to lure the wealthy and the upwardly mobile. Alas, working class guests can be pretty well assured that Disney will never forget them, the Core. This is why a variety of on-site hotels are offered appeal to different bydgets. Also, there will always be a basic FastPass that helps anyone to get on their favorite attractions quicker.

The restaurants are also geared toward different budgets. In order to maximize the fun, and minimize the frustration, you need to plan your trip in advance. Planning documents and DVD's are available for free for people whi call WDW and request them. Everybody should take advantage of this.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-31-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davedc32
    What I am saying is that your ability to enjoy the same basic rides that EVERYBODY paid to do, should not be predicated on your wallet. Good planning? yes, ability to organize? fine, knowledge and study? great. These are all some of the things that should get you a better seat or shorter line.
    I agree with you 100%. What I'm saying is this is a perk Disney may decide to use to increase occupancy at deluxe resorts or on specific packages. Who knows, maybe they'll make Enhanced Fastpass another option on their tickets at WDW.

What I am saying is that whether they have enhanced Fastpass, it's not going to affect what a great time I'm having if I'm staying at a moderate resort. At Disneyland, if you want to spend $53 pp extra, you can get reserved seats and desserts for Fantasmic. At WDW, they have the Fantasmic dinner packages. I could complain about it all day and let it bother me, or I can enjoy the day. If you want to get on the rides, get a regular fastpass. You just have to wait until the return time passes to get another one. We stockpiled 10 fastpasses at Disneyland by about 5 PM a couple of weeks ago by getting them one at a time. Again, the likelihood of most families running around the Magic Kingdom to grab all of the fastpasses at the same time is highly unlikely. And they can still only hold one fastpass for each ride until that ride's return window arrives.

The best thing you can do is to be organized. If you know what rides get rid of fastpass the quickest, which rides have the longest lines, then you can plan your day and visit everything you want, enhanced fastpass or not. I'd be interested to see the results of the testing they did in April at EPCOT where you could get multiple fastpasses at the same time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123