Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/26: The "Level Playing Field"

Just who is the target audience at Disney? Plus: Virtual Magic Kingdom Update. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Merry 2014!

great, wonderful article. give you a lot to think about. class structure being targeted with bonuses and such, very interesting. surely a fine line to troll. could there be a day when lower and middle income america is shut out? shudder to think.

virtual reality mk. yes, Yes, Yes, YEs, YES!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• I was deleted.

Great update! I am excited to hear the details of park operations for WDW since I will be dealing with them quite soon more than ever before. And thanks Kevin for the information on VMK. I went to the site today and I must say it is exciting! I love your information on it. I would have to say it is one of the only good things I heard come out of Eisner's mouth at the shareholder's meeting and I'm glad to see it finally into place.

• Stay Positive

ahhh kevin i made a VMK thread 2 days ago
    even though you made one like in febuary
    but i told everyone its out
    this is my attempt to get my thread in your article hahah
    but yea if you guys need help in VMK come to my thread, and i got an extra goodie on page 6 i think
    http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=4966
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• FastPass n00b

Virtual Magic Kingdom reminds me of a Nintendo game in the 1980's called "Adventures in the Magic Kingdom". It was neat because you explored each of the Lands and had to beat a mini-game in each of them in order to get the key to save the Disney characters or something like that. So Frontierland had Thunder Mountain where you had to roll down the track, switching lanes to avoid being hit by boulders, Tomorrowland has Space Mountain where you'd turn right or left quickly according to the onscreen directions, in Pirates of the Carribben you walked around fighting pirates, and so on.

I haven't seen anything like that game since then but this Virtual Magic Kingdom seems like they've finally created another virtual Disneyland. With all the IP assets Disney has in their theme parks and movies, you'd think they'd have a commanding presence in video games. But they've been trying since the Nintendo days and nothing has really taken hold. I really hope this VMK works out because a virtual Disneyland would be awesome.

• Know More Than You Should

Great Article Kevin!

Great article. My comment has to do with the Motel 6/Value Resort comparison. My wife and I have four kids. We like the "home away from home" style of vacation. We have stayed at two and three bedroom villas within 2 miles of the Maingate. Usually just under $100 per night. Huge savings from WDW comparible resorts!!

I know I'm stating the obvious but the size of your family, length of stay and type of accomodations will certainly decide the value (or not) of staying on or off site.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico!
    could there be a day when lower and middle income america is shut out? shudder to think.
    Much of lower and middle-income America is financially shut out of a Disney vacation.
    And they were in the "egalitarian" '80s. Once in the door, everything is equal. But that door had a price on it. Then again, the complaints of people who are not customers are not really important.

Fastpass

If you read through the patent carefully, one would see that they are not only going out to the rich and those staying at the Lux hotels.

It says they will balance between Hotels and park ticket issue. That Higher priced Hotels may get a higher incentive. But, they're paying for that priviledge. Just like Six flags front of the line passes. You PAY for that priviledge.

I DON'T know WHO starts these rumors Sheeez

Thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

vmk...I LOVE this game. I just wish I was better at it. Great Update, Kevin. I have togo because I am enjoying this game TOO much!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by mrte62
    Great article. My comment has to do with the Motel 6/Value Resort comparison. My wife and I have four kids. We like the "home away from home" style of vacation. We have stayed at two and three bedroom villas within 2 miles of the Maingate. Usually just under $100 per night. Huge savings from WDW comparible resorts!!

I know I'm stating the obvious but the size of your family, length of stay and type of accomodations will certainly decide the value (or not) of staying on or off site.
    This is true. "The larger the family", "the longer the stay", and "the more luxurious the accomodations" are each components that increase the cost and effect the value of your stay, whether on or off site. Destination Disney does not make allowances for this and perhaps it should.

By and large, Destination Disney targets and benefits the rich and/or more financially free among us. Now I'm far from being independently wealthy, but I have been fortunate to be able to stay at on-site Disney hotels a number of times. With the parks presently functioning as a level playing field, there's not always much of an advantage for the on-site guest - apart from the enjoyment of top of the line rooms, service, dining, swimming pools, character meet 'n greets and other activities.

I'll bring up a case in point when I booked a room at a Disneyland Resort hotel not too long ago. There was a live performance of the show "Who's Line Is It Anyway? scheduled at Disney's California Adventure. This was one of my primary motivations for staying at the hotel. However, it turned out that locals, AP's and virtually everyone else turned out in one big swarm and the line extended forever out into the esplanade (for all I know, out into the damn parking lot). Due to the shows seating capacity, most of the folks in line would not get to see it. My hotel guest status didn't help me one little iota, so I gave up on the futile effort. (Fortunately, I recognized one of the actors from "8 Simple Rules..." who was there enjoying the park with his family that day, and had a great conversation.)

So, it seems that the crossroads we are at in consideration of an Enhanced Fastpass seems to literally beg the question, Who's line is it, anyway? If Disney targets the financially advantaged tourist and the cash rich, it is they who will experience increasingly more convenient and minimal waits for the attractions, at the expense of the locals and tourists of more moderate means. If Disney doesn't institute the new program, and allows the level playing field to ensue, then the scenario will favor only those who know how to work the system, regardless of economic status.

Disney's Photo Plus sounds like an easy way to select the pictures one desires to keep, whether at a park, a hotel (when a personal computor is available) or at home. Magic Your Way flexible multi-day passes and parkhoppers would be terrific! The Extra Magic Hours bonus for hotel guests has always been a good feature. But now, the extra time after hours (closing) in conjunction with the added hour prior to official opening would extend the fun almost imeasurably.

Disney's Magical Express? The jury's out, but it might turn out to be a pretty good service. I'd love to be shuttled to my hotel, and have my luggage conviniently delivered. Until the system proves itself, I can't see myself trusting them with luggage containing any items that I could't afford to lose.

Back to Enhanced Fastpass...Who's line is it anyway? Once the bugs are worked out, I'm hoping some sort of compromise can be reached that is of benefit to locals and tourists, the economically advantaged and those with more moderate incomes. The status quo situation of a level playing field leaves a lot to be desired, and those who pay more deserve certain entitlements to some degree. Then again, nobody else deserves to be given the complete shaft. More crowd eating attractions are always the best way to keep up with rising demands and high attendance.

Basic Fastpass should always remain free, or it would backfire in Disney's face. People with less money invest a higher amount of their disposable income on a Disney vacation than do the financially advantaged. They represent a greater number of people, and deserve priveleges, along with respect.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-26-2005 at 05:11 PM.

• Junior Senior

I know a lot of Disney rubes who went to the park and assumed that FastPass was a service you had to pay for (if only they'd talked to me first!) and the resentment they felt toward the park for allowing "the rich people" not to wait in line was intense. This is awful publicity for Disney resorts if actually courting the wealthy gets too out of hand - at least I could explain to my friends that actually, if they'd looked into it, they could have gotten FastPasses too without paying extra.

The barrier between rich and poor is growing ever more well defined in America and I think tension is higher than people are willing to admit. Disney may be going down a path they're going to regret later...while the affluent have a lot more to spend, the middle and lower classes overwhelm them with sheer numbers. Losing that market would be a colossal blunder.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by crinklebat
    I know a lot of Disney rubes who went to the park and assumed that FastPass was a service you had to pay for (if only they'd talked to me first!) and the resentment they felt toward the park for allowing "the rich people" not to wait in line was intense.
    Maybe they're merely Universal/Six-Flags experts.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by crinklebat
    I know a lot of Disney rubes who went to the park and assumed that FastPass was a service you had to pay for (if only they'd talked to me first!) and the resentment they felt toward the park for allowing "the rich people" not to wait in line was intense. This is awful publicity for Disney resorts if actually courting the wealthy gets too out of hand - at least I could explain to my friends that actually, if they'd looked into it, they could have gotten FastPasses too without paying extra.

The barrier between rich and poor is growing ever more well defined in America and I think tension is higher than people are willing to admit. Disney may be going down a path they're going to regret later...while the affluent have a lot more to spend, the middle and lower classes overwhelm them with sheer numbers. Losing that market would be a colossal blunder.
    Once again, with respect to Enhanced Fastpass...Who's line is it anyway?

When the bugs are worked out, I'm hoping some sort of compromise can be reached that is of benefit to locals as well as tourists, the economically advantaged and those with more moderate incomes. The status quo situation of a "level playing field" leaves a lot to be desired, and those who pay more deserve certain entitlements to some degree. Then again, nobody else deserves to be given the complete shaft. More crowd eating attractions are always the best way to keep up with rising demands and high attendance.

Basic Fastpass should always remain free, or it would backfire in Disney's face. People with less money invest a higher amount of their disposable income on a Disney vacation than do the financially advantaged. They represent a greater number of people, and deserve priveleges, along with respect.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-26-2005 at 10:38 AM.

The regular and poor family loses again.

What about the family who saves for years for the possibly single chance to visit WDW? Are they any less important than the rich family who can afford to just "drop everything" and pop in to WDW? Or the family who is rich enough. to make their annual or even semi-annual visits? Those of us who plan and hope and pray to just be able to get there deserves more than an "oh well, I guess we'll let you guys in to, just don't bother the rich folks, because that's who we really want" treatment or feeling. Disney Cruise already does this as you can stay at a Disney hotel, book thru Disney, do everything Disney, but if you are not rich enough to stay at an upscale hotel they leave you stranded and on your own to find someway to get to the ship from WDW. Who can afford it more anyway. The rich can hire a limo, pay for people to take their luggage, etc. Besides the rich don't normally like cavorting with us little people in crowded buses anyway. Isn't a public bus beneath them? I don't mind extras being extra (shopping, pictures, special clubs, food, etc. But Those of us who buy Disney, movies, music, have Disney TV, shop Disney, and have to do it on very limited budgets, shouldn't get the cold shoulder, I nean as a percenteage of our income it's a much higher amount of dedication to Disney than someone with money to burn. That should count for something more than the semi-cold shoulder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast