Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 1/30: California Dreamin'

Unlike many CMs, I couldn't agree more with the contracting of foodservice. Many corporate foodservice clients have risen on the scene accomplished in many aspects, and in the past few years, corporate management companies have risen their standards tremendously.
    THey don't all have to be Sodexho and their freeze-dried pizza; Google, Target, Pixar all have stellar providers such as Bon Appetit that would allow a narrower focus to foods and a relief from the status quo.

It's a great article. I keep forgetting the time periods involved with much of this construction is similar to Caltrans, and takes longer than one would think. Disneyland was built in less than a year, and Toy Story Mania will take about twice as long!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    I grew up watching America the Beautiful in Tomorrowland. It was great not just because of the stunning vistas that surrounded you, but because it had an actual storyline with a definite beginning, middle and end. The narration was compelling and the soundtrack dramatic. This is exactly the filmmaking approach Soarin' needs to make it truly special.
    Well why not Soar over National Parks? Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellostone, Glacier, etc... To "America the Beautiful?" Yowsa!
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

But even with all the improvements, I still don't get what DCA is supposed to be, other than a catch all park in California for attractions imported from WDW themeparks and new attractions that don't fit into Disneyland. What is DCA supposed to be turning in to? Is the theme still a park about California, in California? Will the name still remain the same? Despite anything they do, I still can't help but feel that DCA will always and forever be the weakest, poorest, most confused Disney Park every built, and nothing is ever going to save it from that. I hope I'm wrong, but.....

• Space Mountain Expert

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but honestly, if the current version of Soarin' goes away, I'll cry for a week. I absolutely love Soarin' the way it is right now. I don't need dialog or anything. It's nice to have a ride that is soo wonderfully relaxing and simple in its presentation. And if I can't end the ride flying over Disneyland and up into the fireworks, I'll just die. I'm telling you all... I'LL DIE. Is that what you want???
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

The placemaking project at DCA sounds fantastic! I love the idea of the National Park area from Grizzly to the hub. Disney executes this concept very, very well. (Think Wilderness Lodge at WDW.) This is the first time in a long time that some news on Al's update made me giddy as opposed to... "Awww. That sucks." Thanks Al. I hope it happens!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyking View Post
    Maybe I'm just sentimental, but honestly, if the current version of Soarin' goes away, I'll cry for a week. I absolutely love Soarin' the way it is right now. I don't need dialog or anything. It's nice to have a ride that is soo wonderfully relaxing and simple in its presentation. And if I can't end the ride flying over Disneyland and up into the fireworks, I'll just die. I'm telling you all... I'LL DIE. Is that what you want???
    That's OK, we'll start a support group...

DCAA... Lord grant us the strenth... - Nah, I just can't say it....
    Check out my other blog:

No wonder Walt Disney in his day fought tooth and nail to avoid building any kind of office that could house anyone working for Disneyland outside the berm. That big yellow Team Disney Anaheim building out back with all those managers sitting pretty in it might as well be located in India for all the distance it has put between them and the park's workers.
    This really rings true, Al. Thanks for pointing it out so well.

As regulars we all see this and it's disheartning to see the CM's treated badly because it does effect how they treat us as guests. The food dept has really taken a downswing in the last few months and it's frustrating to enjoy a good meal anywhere in the park. Although I have had several outstanding instances by some amazing food CM's, it causes me to groan whenever I walk into Pizzaport (for example) and get bad food and nasty looks. The same can be said for the transportation department, not in the spacific CM, but in the policy of Parking in the structure which has taken a nasty turn in the last few months. Like everything the crap falls from the top and when it hits bottom, the only other place for it to go is to the Guests and that's just wrong.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Since the National Park concept is taking over DCA -- it's a shame to waste Marc Davis' incredible Country Bears characters. Why not bring them back in a different format - - fully animated AA's in a smaller dark ride, perhaps - - or as a Monterey Pop Festival-style "California Bears" concert. They belong in this new home...
    I love this idea! I miss my bears!
    Rick

• Fastest Man Alive

So it looks like Tony Baxter's plan was dropped in favor of keeping DCA a seperate ticketed park?

• Directly directed

So are those Cinnamon Dolce Latte's any good? I haven't been brave enough to try one but prehaps I will... Great update!

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Thumbs up Re: 1/30: California Dreamin'

I am so loving what I read in your recent article, Al! Thank you for always keeping us informed!

I can't even begin to imagine what it's going to look like having chimneys blasted off by cannons from Tom Sawyer Island! Way cool!

As for the DCA projects, I am EXTREMELY happy to hear that they've decided to use the Timon Parking Lot as a place for the Cars attraction. That area really needs to be ripped out and built upon (which it appears is going to happen!)

I can't wait to see all those fuzzy, furry, and feathered creatures on Grizzly River Run! All that sporting equipment thrown in random spots is so incredibly lame. Time for something cool, fresh, and new!

Although, I have a question. What did you/Al mean about a log flume? Is there a new log flume Splash Mountain type ride going over there, or did I just completely read that paragraph wrong. (Hey, it's been known to happen. LOL)

And the new fountain water show! Oh man! I want 2010 to get here already! LMAO As for the seating problems I say rip out the damn smoking section, rip out the Orange Swinger, and rip out the Golden Zephyr. With those gone DCA would have AMPLE enough room for viewing! Hell, maybe even lower the boardwalk in those areas to resemble the original viewing section for Luminaria.

I have more views about all of the recent news, but I have laundry going so I can't write much more - YET! HA!

Anyway, have a great day everybody!

...Joe...

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

As for outsourcing the CM cafeterias... I know at MK all of our cafeteries were outsourced to Aaramark and I thought they did a great job. Employees were friendly, fairly efficient (though the Subway lines could get quite long) and the food was good. This could be a big step in the right direction.

• xmanmom

Think of an animatronic California version of the real African wildlife diners at the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants can see, and you kind of get the idea here.
    Respectfully, you can't see any animals from the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants. All of the Savannahs are only viewable from the guest rooms or special viewing platforms, none of which are near the restaurants. It's a neat idea though and I wish we could see some of the animals from Jiko or Boma. I think it will be a nice touch for DLR's best restaurant to be able to see the animatronic animals.

Thanks for a great update, I like almost all of the proposed improvements. I am so thankful that it looks like DCA will remain a full-fledged park and not become just an expansion of Downtown Disney.

• is satisfactual.

Disneyland has always been good, clean middle-class American entertainment, and trying to impress trendy New York media types via ads in Vanity Fair is not how Rasulo is going to get his Dreams campaign off the ground.
    I'm going to be hunted down and shot for this, but I really don't think marketing to the Vanity Fair demographic for once as opposed to the SUV family one is going to hurt the Walt Disney Company. So the yups, the gays, the snoots, the swells and the fat cats will add a little volume to the single riders line. At least they don't tend to wear socks inside their sandals or spill formula on you. So the tacky Disney-brand crystal collectibles are going to be scoffed at; it may eventually persuade Disney to sell classier merchandise.

I really don't see the negatives.

WTH?

What's with the ads now RIGHT in the middle of the updates?

Cheap looking. Talk about placemaking. not.

Thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast