Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: 1/30: California Dreamin'

Quote Originally Posted by TDSTOM View Post
    What's with the ads now RIGHT in the middle of the updates?

Cheap looking. Talk about placemaking. not.
    They didn't bother me. The guy needs to make a living.

I guess I just expect more from Al and his crew.

Thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

• Banned User

Can't wait for the pop-up ads.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I'm going to be hunted down and shot for this, but I really don't think marketing to the Vanity Fair demographic for once as opposed to the SUV family one is going to hurt the Walt Disney Company. So the yups, the gays, the snoots, the swells and the fat cats will add a little volume to the single riders line. At least they don't tend to wear socks inside their sandals or spill formula on you. So the tacky Disney-brand crystal collectibles are going to be scoffed at; it may eventually persuade Disney to sell classier merchandise.

I really don't see the negatives.
    Seems the ad money could have been better spent elsewhere instead of VF.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    Although, I have a question. What did you/Al mean about a log flume? Is there a new log flume Splash Mountain type ride going over there, or did I just completely read that paragraph wrong. (Hey, it's been known to happen. LOL)
    The flume he was referring to is a wood flume from the side of Grizzly River Run's lift hill, that would provide water for a Pan for Gold attraction underneath the lift.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by TDSTOM View Post
    WTH?

What's with the ads now RIGHT in the middle of the updates?

Cheap looking. Talk about placemaking. not.

Thomas
    I didn't wanna be rude and post the same thought, but um...yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I understand the need for making a few extra dollars to support the site, but I think this was just, as you put it, bad "placemaking."

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt View Post
    The flume he was referring to is a wood flume from the side of Grizzly River Run's lift hill, that would provide water for a Pan for Gold attraction underneath the lift.
    Ahhhhhhh, thanks for the clarification! I swear, sometimes I just don't read things properly!

Thanks again!

...Joe...

• Banned User

Al, I love reading your columns, especially hearing about the trouble of the staffing problems at Disneyland and I speak from experience being an ex-cast member after 6.5 years of working there. It's sad that the TDA executives can't seem to care about the hourly CMs enough to keep them around longer. When I started in 1998, I was too naive to what I had experienced during my tenure: the favoritism, the greed, the cliquish behavior among the new-hires (always the college-age kids) and the unappreciation from the folks at TDA. The backstage cafeterias once had meals that were so diverse and affordable and met my standards but now, it's all about the $$$, not about the CM. It's even more sad that I hear the turnovers increase more and more each day. Soon, those TDA people will be doing the jobs in the parks instead of being in their fine offices and cubicles if they don't wake up and pull their weight. If Walt were still alive, things would be entirely different.
    Last edited by Ex-SmallWorld CM; 01-30-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: wording

• Minion

Excellent article. I wonder when the castle comes back out from under tarps.
    The daydream princess

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Great update!

Pirate TSI sounds awesome! I can't wait to see it...and it will be fun and interactive for kids. Just what the place needs. I think even adults are going to enjoy it (I certainly will).

I'm so excited for DCA. These improvements for the park sound wonderful (and it's about time a gold rush-related attraction came into the park...that's a no-brainer). I especially like the forest idea...it will make the park much more enjoyable to look at. Can't wait for GRR and the rest of the area to get animatronics!

Poor CMs. Hopefully Ed will actually get to solving this problem.

• Inappropriate

Wow, if all these things go through with DCA, then DCA is going to be the man! Seriously, this is great news. So are they sticking with the same name then?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    Respectfully, you can't see any animals from the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants. All of the Savannahs are only viewable from the guest rooms or special viewing platforms, none of which are near the restaurants. It's a neat idea though and I wish we could see some of the animals from Jiko or Boma. I think it will be a nice touch for DLR's best restaurant to be able to see the animatronic animals.

Thanks for a great update, I like almost all of the proposed improvements. I am so thankful that it looks like DCA will remain a full-fledged park and not become just an expansion of Downtown Disney.
    I think a more accurate comparision would be like The Land reasturant in Epcot where the dining room is actually built into the show scenes and you can look down and see the AA's. I hope the AA's have a decent number of movements/special effects. They don't have to be the most sophisticated things ever but I hope its more then just a slight head turn every now and then. Hopefully it will be something on the level of the Nemo Seagull AA's at Epcot and Submarine Voyage.

Thanks for the great update Al!

The employee wage issue is a big one and having been a board member for a modest sized agency, shifting wage scales is much more complicated than it seems. Particularly when you have unions involved. That said, I would like to see DL be a leader and be creative to attract and hold high quality employees. Great employees pay dividends for years!

By description, it sounds like they found a balance for the pirates on TSI. Anything that will improve the unused Mill/stage area will be a big improvement. Love the canons!

I love the national park idea. The Country Bears would be great somewhere there since they were an original idea for the Mineral King ski resort that never moved forward due to Sierra Club resistance! The other DCA projects sound very promising.

Lots to be going on in Anaheim over the next few months and years.
    The Mur

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Excllent article Al. Very imformative. All the things you said made perfect sense and can't wait for another.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Senior Minion

I actually look forward to the TSI changes and especially the possible changes to Soarin! That is really exciting! I love the interactive possiblities for the kids on Tom Sawyer Island. Also love a good stunt show!
    I look forward to the DCA changes, but would like to see Tomorrowland in Disneyland improved immediately before anymore changes to DCA.
    Also love the possibilty of the Gold Mining, showing a little more of California and
    the Teddy Roosevelt-era theming.

As for the castmembers- Honestly, I would be willing to pay more just to have the better quality, screened and higher paid employees. They don't need PINS to remind them what they are worth to the Disney company. That is just pathetic.
    With that being said, I realize that there are those castmembers who make an effort and because they love the company(no matter what) or have a good work ethic.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• former CM

Compensation/cannons

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    . . . I believe it's finally time for Burbank and Anaheim to give up the ghost, and admit the CM pay rate is too low for the competitive labor market of SoCal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that increasing the hourly rate by two bucks will alleviate much of this crisis.

Yet another executive committee to find ways to stem the turnover tide? Please. There's a dead elephant in the room and no one wants to acknowledge it. You don't need a committee of overpaid executives to figure out that the elephant died from insufficient compensation.
    Exactly.

Costco, Starbucks, and Trader Joe's have all grown impressively while compensating their (often) excellent employees better than their competitors. When I worked at Disneyland in the early and mid 80s there was still an impression that I had added a bit of magic to my resume, and that I probably had exceptional people skills because I had worked at Disneyland.

Does anyone know the % of applicants who received job offers at Disneyland in the 50s, 60s and 70s? (And at WDW in the 70s?) How could I learn this?

P.S. A tad off the subject: the cannons on TS Island that "fire" into the water and into N.O. Square sound really cool! It'd be fun if there were one or two roof-top cannons in N.O. Square that could fire back! Even if a character only went up to a N.O. roof top a few times a day, it's give some kids on TS Island something to talk about.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-31-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast