Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

1/30: California Dreamin'

Pirate's Island official as is DCA's Mania, REM Dreams, Back to the Future, Placemaking, Life is a Highway, Where's Ed? LOST employees, More... Discuss it all here won't you?
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• time to go

Re: 1/30: California Dreamin'

Good article, Al. Thanks.

I believe it's finally time for Burbank and Anaheim to give up the ghost, and admit the CM pay rate is too low for the competitive labor market of SoCal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that increasing the hourly rate by two bucks will alleviate much of this crisis.

Yet another executive committee to find ways to stem the turnover tide? Please. There's a dead elephant in the room and no one wants to acknowledge it. You don't need a committee of overpaid executives to figure out that the elephant died from insufficient compensation.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Thanks for the update, Al! What's your guesstimate for when the DVC announcement for the Grand Californian will come?

• Just this guy......

It was great to meet you in person AL and I have always loved reading your reports. Keep up the great work!

• FastPass n00b

I love everything that is going on at DCA right now. Those ideas for modifications sound wonderful. DCA really is a nice park, it just needs a little something extra to make it more than a time-filler for slow days at Disneyland. Modify the rides as mentioned, drop the new Pixar nonsense, and keep the price as is and I'll be there for sure.

• FastPass n00b

So I guess Disneyland is done as far as any kind of major projects, DCA is the new Disneyland in the 21st century when it comes to major cash flows. Then again, according to Walt himself it was done in 2001 when imagination was dead and Pixar replaced it. After all, Disneyland is complete once imagination is gone.

• Banned User

The news about adding wildlife AA's to Grizzly River Rapids sounds great. I would love for this to happen.

• Minion

The powers that be should realize Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion are actual "franchises" because they are originals, stand alone and inspire other products to be created as spin-offs of the attraction.

A "Toy Story Mania" - no matter how good or what it's name - can only ever be a spin-off of the established Toy Story franchise. It's a ride based on the popular movie.

•   
    • Minion

Well, lets see what happens with DCA - There are some signs of encouragement...

Disneyland still needs work on Tomorrowland. Innoventions and HISTA need a desparate rework. Star Tours needs a new film/projection system. And that empty PeopleMover Track and mothballed Motorboat Cruse area will serve as a reminder that DL is not completed... Perhaps TDA thinks people will be placated by the return of the Subs and Pirate frenzy and forget the rest? Call it misdirection... Whatever.

Clearly their plate is full at the moment...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Since the National Park concept is taking over DCA -- it's a shame to waste Marc Davis' incredible Country Bears characters. Why not bring them back in a different format - - fully animated AA's in a smaller dark ride, perhaps - - or as a Monterey Pop Festival-style "California Bears" concert. They belong in this new home...

• Minion FOREVER!

Nice article, Al!

Wow! those placemaking concepts for DCA are almost identical
    to what some of us here in MC posted some time ago... (like last year!).

Thanks for the update on what's going on w/ the CMs. It's pretty sad
    that TDA folks need an full executive committee. It's completely
    obvious that the situation needs at least a bandaid quickly and that
    even the solution (better pay, better amenities, retention programs, maybe
    even some notion of ownership?) is not too far (for example, I've seen
    managers come up with solutions to entire problems in 2 weeks...albeit
    in a different industry.

Even a service lifetime bonus plan (work so long, get a bonus/etc) would
    work as a bandaid.

• Minion

>>Disneyland still needs work on Tomorrowland. Innoventions and HISTA need a desparate rework. Star Tours needs a new film/projection system. And that empty PeopleMover Track and mothballed Motorboat Cruse area will serve as a reminder that DL is not completed... Perhaps TDA thinks people will be placated by the return of the Subs and Pirate frenzy and forget the rest? Call it misdirection... Whatever.<<

The Tomorrowland work still needs to be done concurrently - - or I know I'll be complaining. Rocket Jets, PeopleMover, et al can't wait any longer.

I wonder if TDA has got the results of the Cast Survey they had in November? Not like its that hard to put through scantrons in a machine. Honesty, all the questions asked in the survey dealt with management and why people keep leaving. The day the company figures out they should pay us more, there will be dancing in the streets!! Hope I'm around to see it. Good article. Thought Ed shadowing 3rd shift was hilarious.

• The one, the only...

Thanks for the great article. I think that DCA is going in the right direction. I too am concerned that the attention that DCA needs will distract from the needs Disneyland has, specifically Tomorrowland. It will be great having the Subs back, but that is only a beginning.

Innoventions is still a bore.
    Star Tours needs updating.
    HISTA is an embarrassment.
    The Peoplemover track is still barren.

Al, thanks again for the attention to the CM's. We need to see committed CM's again. Most companies state that their employees are their greatest asset. Disney has not been acting that way for decades. It is time for Disney to admit that a turn over rate as high as they have is a growing disaster.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

How exactly the Soarin' theme would play out has not yet been figured out, but with several new Soarin' film concepts in the works for this ride system, they could scrap the contemporary flight over California altogether. A recent idea pitched to the Oriental Land Company has a new Soarin' theater installed in Tokyo DisneySea, but with Jiminy Cricket as the shows host who instructs the theater riders to fly along with him and let their conscience be their guide on a series of adventures. WDI would also like to build a Soarin' film for the Chinese government for a fancy national pavilion at the next World's Fair to be held in Shanghai in 2010, so clearly there are a lot of themes yet to be discovered using the brilliant Soarin' ride system.
    This is promising news. Soarin' has eye-popping visuals and great ride technology, but the whole experience bores me to tears because there's no narrative to go with the pretty pictures. If you're not from California, you probably have no idea what you're looking at.

I grew up watching America the Beautiful in Tomorrowland. It was great not just because of the stunning vistas that surrounded you, but because it had an actual storyline with a definite beginning, middle and end. The narration was compelling and the soundtrack dramatic. This is exactly the filmmaking approach Soarin' needs to make it truly special.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast