Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/1: Moving in with the Mouse

So you want to live in Orlando? Plus a Walt Disney World update. Discuss Kevin's latest column here...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 2/1: Moving in with the Mouse

Awesome article Kevin.

As a couple of people who have been considering a move to Orlando it gave us some really good info.

And if we ever do become serious about it, you will be getting that email from us.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Really greatly timed article since I'm starting to get very tired of putting up with the extremely dry air of Vegas (waking up and dealing with your bloody nose and dried-up sinuses every morning during the coldest part of the year, and getting a static electrocution anytime you touch something metal all-winter long is not fun) and like the palm-trees and lakes look of the Orlando area. I'm not sure I'd move there because I'd have a lot of stuff to move a lot of distance.

The only thing I could ask for was a slight layout of town. Most MiceChatters only know the area from WDW and obviously you can't imagine the whole city is like that. Everything looks a bit more jungle-ish from the air, but only on our way back did I ever see the proper business district while taking off. You seem to know that there's some bad areas of town, I'm wondering what to avoid or should I just PM you if I become serious and find something? With an acceptable job and still remaining close to family I'm not sure I'd move away to the other coast, as much as I don't like living here.

The area reminds me of a combination between the things of Vegas I like (tourism economy, plenty of stuff to do, no state taxes) with the things I like about coastal towns (namely, things grow naturally, while here everything that isn't a cactus seems imported to live briefly and die.) As for nature, you've put my gator fears to rest, but I've heard so much about snakes and gigantic jungle critters, I'm not sure if I could ever relax. Heh.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: 2/1: Moving in with the Mouse

I don't know how it's possible to mention Orlando weather without using the phrase "miserably hot!". I moved acroos a continent to escape those types of temperatures.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• World Traveler

Great article, Kevin! I loved that model of the Fantasyland Skyway. Do you have any more photos of that piece? I already called the Art of Disney store at Epcot and ordered one!

Hmmm, can't seem to find this on the miceage main page. Any hints? The last article posted for Kevin is P&P.

I'm new here, can anyone help. This article would really help me right now as I've been wrestling with the idea of moving out of Chicagoland and down to the "Orlampa" area to be closer to my elderly parents. This article does not seem to be appearing on Miceage.com
    Last edited by SamIAm; 02-01-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Yes, great article, Kevin.
    Bored? Check out my animation news & reviews website: http://skunkandburningtires.com

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
    Hmmm, can't seem to find this on the miceage main page. Any hints?
    PM'ed the URL to Sam. Guess I'll post it here for completeness, though:

http://miceage.com/kevinyee/ky020107a.htm

Thanks Mickey Mania! I appreciate you helping me out.

Moving in with the Mouse is an excellent article and gave me some "fodder" for a possible move in the near future. This is said as I stare out my office window at the snow falling here in Chicago. Did I mention it's going to be 3 degrees this Sunday?

In terms of Mr. Yee's article, Declining By Degrees, what if everyone printed out a copy of Kevin's article and sent it directly to Disney's executive offices in Orlando using the addresses he provided? Would that be enough to convince TPTB that we do notice what's going on at WDW? I have to say that I love DLR and WDW. I am able to visit WDW two to three times a year, but I visited DLR last year and walked out of that park thinking it really did outshine WDW's Magic Kingdom. I think all Disney parks should shine equally bright.

Thanks again for linking me to this article!!

• FastPass n00b

I think it's so sad how armadillos are run over in Orlando. I mean there's really nothing anyone can do to avoid an animal in the road under heavy traffic, but it's still sad. I love turtles too though, they might eat the lawn, but I like them anyway. We get rabbits out here that do the same but they never cause that much damage and they are fun to watch. When it comes to mice however, those things cost me a fortune for my car. They love the engine compartment because it's warm on a cold night and they keep on chewing my wires, costing me hundreds of dollars in repairs. I love mice as well, and I'd definitely be willing to compromise with them by letting them live under my hood if they didn't damage the car, but they keep on forcing me to destroy them and it's really frustrating to have to resort to that.

Anyway, the cost of living sounds great in Orlando. It's truly bizarre how they can charge $600,000 for a house out here and still build thousands of them at a time. I know the people in Arizona and Nevada are tired of us filling up their states and raising the cost of housing, but California is just no place for the average non-homeowner to live anymore. I'd like to move to Colorado where housing is cheap and there are 4 seasons year-round, not to mention the beautiful scenery and clean air, but I'm just not willing to drive more than one day back to Southern California.

• Senior Minion

Thanks for all the information. It was all worth it.
    We went to Dallas Ft Worth about two years ago and found a house with so many amenities, with about 4500 square ft. for the price of a 1600 square ft house here in Northern California. It is insane what it costs here.

But it all comes down to cost of living and incomes in those areas. Florida is very tempting.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Hey Kevin, heard about the weather down in Florida. I hope that you and your family are safe and sound. Any word on how bad it is around where you live?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Sad Re: 2/1: Moving in with the Mouse

Kevin, are you and your family all right? Has anybody heard from Kevin today? The news is reporting a massive search and rescue effort has begun in Central Florida after major tornado damage was reported in several Central Florida counties.

Does anybody know how this affects WDW?

I've been posting around to numerous sites and Earl from Trapped on Vacation over on the DPN says that it missed his area. I hope it's the same for Kevin. And no, haven't heard from him yet.

• MiceAge Columnist

We're fine over here - storm only brought us rain (and some wind last night). No tornadoes. But loss of life elsewhere in Central Florida is sobering!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast