Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Exclamation New Disney.com Launches - MiceChat News Team, 2/6/07

Disney has launched its new-look website at www.disney.com with splashier graphics, greater interaction and more customization options.

The new home page still acts as a gateway to all the various areas of Disney (parks, movies, TV, shopping, etc.), but now visitors have the option to tailor their Disney.com experience to their own personal interests. Using the "Disney For You" menu, you can choose content geared towards preschool children, boys, girls, kids & teens, familes and Disney fans (that one's for us big kids). You can also "Enter a Character World" to load pages themed to specific characters (Tinker Bell/Fairies, Mickey Mouse, Meet the Robinsons, Hannah Montana, etc.)

Disney XD, the new Disney online community where you can create your own personal page of Disney games, videos and music and share it with your friends, is still in beta and offers limited functionality at this point. You can still register your XD screen name to get started, but be prepared to wait. As a family-friendly precaution, Disney has to approve your name before you start sharing it with others.

To get the most out of the site--and especially Disney XD--a broadband connection is a necessity. I was impressed, however, that my old dinosaur computer with a high-speed connection was still able to navigate the site without much difficulty. Only a few screens loaded slowly.

Please share your thoughts/comments on the new Disney.com.

--disneytim--
    Last edited by disneytim; 02-06-2007 at 07:18 AM.

Re: New Disney.com Launches - MiceChat News Team, 2/6/07

i like it. the video feature is rather neat, but i feel that it might become a nuisance. i like the feel of the tabs to get to the different areas of the website.

i like that you can tailor it as well. its interesting to note that i have disneyland.com on my google homepage, and when i clicked on it - it still directed me to the old site. however, when i clicked on the appropriate tab (i.e. movies, etc), it sent me to the new disney.com layout.
    kingdom hearts <3er

• World Traveler

It looks good, but it's very slow to load. I have a feeling they're gearing this towards the teenagers, much like they gear the Disney Channel towards them as well.

Sad Re: New Disney.com Launches - MiceChat News Team, 2/6/07

It looks like the new Disney.com is blocked for users outside the United States. I am in the Netherlands and I normally don't have a problem viewing Disney.com, but today when I go to www.disney.com it redirects me to www.disneyinternational.com where I must select a country site. After selecting U.S.A. the browser goes to disney.go.com for a split second, and then redirects back to the list of countries.

I hope this is a temporary measure to minimize traffic to the site just after launching the new site.

As long as it includes 'GO' in the URL it redirects to, it's an embarrassment.

While this is one of the hottest destinations online they will continue to think they are doing the right thing. When will they learn that 'content is king' and not to bog down a site with heavy load times. As hard as it maybe for some people to believe, there are still quite a few dial-up users (even though I'm not).

Unfortunately there's no competition on their level or this site would be destroyed.

• Minion

"Caribbean" is spelled wrong ("Carribean") on that new Disney site pic.

•   
    • Minion

Go.com still continues to be the lamest excuse of a web site...

Iger, give it a mercy killing or actually develop it in to something actually usefull. Preferably the former not the ladder.
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy2 View Post
    As long as it includes 'GO' in the URL it redirects to, it's an embarrassment.

While this is one of the hottest destinations online they will continue to think they are doing the right thing. When will they learn that 'content is king' and not to bog down a site with heavy load times. As hard as it maybe for some people to believe, there are still quite a few dial-up users (even though I'm not).

Unfortunately there's no competition on their level or this site would be destroyed.
    I think the average visitor has little knowledge of the Go.com debacle, so whether the name's included in the URL or not, it's pretty irrelevant. You enter "disney.com, " your browser goes where it's supposed to. No biggie.

Disney does have a low-bandwidth option on their site, but sadly it appears to apply only to the home page. Click on "Switch to Disney Online Lite" at the bottom of the page or just go to http://home.disney.go.com/lite/. Any link you click on, however, goes to a full-bandwidth page. Hopefully, this is a work in progress and the low-bandwidth pages will eventually be available throughout the site (with the exception of XD, which I can't imagine having a low-bandwidth alternative).

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    "Caribbean" is spelled wrong ("Carribean") on that new Disney site pic.
    The pic is a screen shot of the site when it was still in development. It's been corrected on the live site.

• Banned User

Wow, the site still stinks!

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstad View Post
    It looks like the new Disney.com is blocked for users outside the United States. I am in the Netherlands and I normally don't have a problem viewing Disney.com, but today when I go to www.disney.com it redirects me to www.disneyinternational.com where I must select a country site. After selecting U.S.A. the browser goes to disney.go.com for a split second, and then redirects back to the list of countries.

I hope this is a temporary measure to minimize traffic to the site just after launching the new site.
    Luckily, it's only javascript rather than server side validation, so all you need to do is block the file
    and in you favorite ad blocker you will get in.

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    It looks good, but it's very slow to load. I have a feeling they're gearing this towards the teenagers.
    I've been quoted in the L.A. Times article!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I've been quoted in the L.A. Times article!!!
    You're a star!!!

• World Traveler

Please .... no autographs ... should I get an agent?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

And it still fails W3C validation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast