Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: 2/13: FastPass the Rolls Please

Quote Originally Posted by VBdad55 View Post
    I ran a survey on another chat site about a year ago as FP was always a hot topic also -- over 120 respondents and some of the interesting facts were:

75+% of those who didn't like FP did not visit the park with children
    80+% of those who did not like it were AP's - with ready access to the parks
    90+% of those who did not like it, had used FP at one time or another. A few refused to use it.

I had those handily avialable-- the survey was 10 questions-

the net was those who liked FP ( which were 75+% of the respondents) - tended to be WDW ( almost exclusively as opposed to DL) visitors - families with children and visited the parks 1 -2 times per year maximum, with most trips in the summer vacation peak periods.

Those who did not like FP tended to be adults only - no children in parties, and AP's whose availability to attend far more often and at various times of the year.
    I do not travel with children, adults only in my party when I go.

• Volleyball Dad

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    I do not travel with children, adults only in my party when I go.

Then you would fit the profile of those who do not like FP -- again not judging anyone by this, I just thought it played out to be a pretty distinct demograhic survey - that usually holds true. I wonder if the Disney mgmt team has tried to conduct a similar study to find out the what's and who's behind the fact that respondents will either usally reallylike FP and are really against it.

I realize a little over 100 people out of millions of visitors is not exactly a scientific sample ( although some surveys not much more) - but it seemed to really follow a consistent pattern.
    To me it seems if they wanted to cater to AP's and adults they would can FP tomorrow. If they wanted to cater to families with kids it would stay period.
    there are exceptions on each side of this equation, the only one I could not gauge is those who do not even know what FP is, as any survey on a site like this is not going to register many if any of those responses.
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

• Rock Star Minion

Meh. Anti-FP crowd is more interested in the good of the park, while the Pro-FP crowd is more interested in the good of the guest (or of the ME-ME-ME-ME). Hard to tell which is the better POV.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Meh. Anti-FP crowd is more interested in the good of the park, while the Pro-FP crowd is more interested in the good of the guest (or of the ME-ME-ME-ME). Hard to tell which is the better POV.
    Yup, same with the DDP. And it's definitely the ME ME ME or WE WE WE part, certainly there is no concern for other guests.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I believe it's the people who just want to pop into the park and don't like FP because they want to ride NOW and not later. Since FP supposedly increases their line and they don't want to wait for the return window - its two strikes in their world.

Edit - this also ties into the complaints about the DDP

When for everyone else who isn't only in the park for 3hrs, coming back in 2-4 hrs isn't a big deal.

Honeslty I don't know why NickCharles hates it since he's never seen the impact of it nor the benefit of it. Sounds like a 'mee too' arguement to me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I believe it's the people who just want to pop into the park and don't like FP because they want to ride NOW and not later. Since FP supposedly increases their line and they don't want to wait for the return window - its two strikes in their world.
    That's totally bogus. Without FP, you still have to wait in line!

Edit - this also ties into the complaints about the DDP

When for everyone else who isn't only in the park for 3hrs, coming back in 2-4 hrs isn't a big deal.

Honeslty I don't know why NickCharles hates it since he's never seen the impact of it nor the benefit of it. Sounds like a 'mee too' arguement to me.
    I hate the idea of it. I doubt my mind will change either after July. And how is peole who don't like it a "me too" argument? Without FP EVERYONE is in the same boat. Without DDP EVERYONE is in the same boat. There's the good of the whole vs. the good of the selfish individual.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    From $23 hamburgers at Chefs de France (replacing a $25 filet)
    I'd just like to say that I don't mind hamburgers being served in a French restaurant due to the fact that Disney was meant to be enjoyed as a group and not everyone in a group will like cuisine, but replacing a filet with it is absurd.

And if I ran the place, the hamburgers and so on would be on an "alternative" menu the guests would have to ask for. And this comes from some guy who just sits there with mouth agape not knowing what to order in any place that serves French. I wouldn't expect that kind of thing at Alex at WynnLV, of course, but that's because our restaurants are more sophisticated than 90% of the stuff in theme parks which aim to please everybody.

I know 74 will call me rubbish for not being classy enough to enjoy French cuisine, but I'll try to settle with him and say such food served in resorts or DTD shouldn't be required to serve alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    And I'm one of those who gets a FP for Everest, then gets in line. And when I get off of my ride I use my FP to ride again. I see nothing wrong with this practice. I could be standing in the Everest line, or standing in another line, or buying breakfast, or just wandering around. It's my time, and I'm taking advantage of the system as it's provided.
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you abusing the system. I've abused FP far worse than that, in fact I've abused it more than anything I've listed so far. I've done some severe line jumping at WDW that would probably get me shameful looks on MiceChat. I do that, but I don't think I should be capable of doing it. They aren't doing enough to keep people from being lousy gits because when the smoke has settled management just doesn't really care.

In this case, the reason you shouldn't be allowed to do this is the same reason when you ask at the unload if you can just ride around and do it again they'll tell you no. Because it's somebody else's turn. But by double-dipping with FP you have some people who don't have to start at square one all over again and people who do.

Prior to this past year we never "popped into the parks" very often but at DL especially you can see the damage of FP (and the AP program in a way.) My son used to love Alice as a little one so we'd ride that one over and over again and now the lines are so long that I don't think he could put up with it back then if it was like how it is now.

In fact, as a child he never had any problem with the lengths of any lines at DL, but at the time he was a complete coaster-phobe like his Dad and so we never rode any of the 20+MPH E-rides that always had a much much longer line than any show or slow-moving ride. Even the dreaded Autopia moved never was that long even in the summer.

Nowadays you have long waits even if you avoided the Mountain Range and Indy.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 02-16-2007 at 01:48 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist

Nope, not me. I spend the entire day at the parks. On a personal level, FP benefits me. My interest in making it go away has to do with the macro-level, not my micro-level concerns, as sediment was saying
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you abusing the system. I've abused FP far worse than that...
    Hang on a minute. Getting a FP, then getting in the standby line, riding, and then getting in the FP line is IN NO WAY abuse of the system. It's using the system as it was designed. It makes absolutely no difference what I'm doing with my time while I'm waiting for the FP window to open up. IT'S MY TIME!!! In this case I choose to wait 30 minutes for Everest in the regular line.

Abuse to me is when someone runs around and takes advantage of machines that aren't networked, or other tricks like that. Most of these happen at DL and not WDW, but I think they can really do things that I think are pushing it.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I agree with Nick on this one - it makes no difference - with or without FP, a quick pop in would still have to wait in line on any given afternoon.

But I do agree with the point about the DDP, in that it's hard for locals to pop in for a meal when they need to reserve SIX MONTHS OUT!!!

I'd just like to say that I don't mind hamburgers being served in a French restaurant due to the fact that Disney was meant to be enjoyed as a group and not everyone in a group will like cuisine, but replacing a filet with it is absurd.
    Agreed.

And if I ran the place, the hamburgers and so on would be on an "alternative" menu the guests would have to ask for. And this comes from some guy who just sits there with mouth agape not knowing what to order in any place that serves French. I wouldn't expect that kind of thing at Alex at WynnLV, of course, but that's because our restaurants are more sophisticated than 90% of the stuff in theme parks which aim to please everybody.

I know 74 will call me rubbish for not being classy enough to enjoy French cuisine, but I'll try to settle with him and say such food served in resorts or DTD shouldn't be required to serve alternatives.
    MM, I will not call you anything for not enjoying French food. Although I don't understand why some people, 99.9999% Americans in my unscientific observations as a traveler, refuse to try new things. French cuisine isn't all snails and butter. I find it amazing that an adult can't find anything on the Chefs de France menu to make a burger a realistic option ... if that's really the case, if their palate is so simple, so (American) child-like, I'd say go to Liberty Inn where the burgers aren't $23 (or better yet, drive 10 minutes to Wendy's where they're better and much less). The menu has also been dumbed down in past years to include options like a quarter chicken dinner with potatoes, mac n' cheese, and veggies lasagna ... hardly out there cuisine.

While I have no problem at all with your 'alternate menu' idea, as it is all-guest friendly, which is what Disney is supposed to be about.

But my personal opinion again is if an adult is so limited they can only eat burgers, cheese pizza, chicken fingers, grilled cheese etc ... they really should stick to fast food because they're too limited to enjoy quality full service resort dining.

And thanks for bringing the topic back to Disney Dining.

FastPass is one of those hot-button topics that derails all else.

Again, whether you like it, hate it or am ambivalent about it like I am, it doesn't impact the quality of a WDW vacation (either way) as much as dining or the dumbing down of it.

People, on both sides, devote way too much passion to it IMHO.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I agree with Nick on this one - it makes no difference - with or without FP, a quick pop in would still have to wait in line on any given afternoon.
    Yes, but FP makes any wait even longer in their opinion.. so obviously it is devil spawn. Remember, in DL most of the time waits are 20mins or less. They aren't as accustomed to the hour+ for nearly everything like WDW was much more known for.

• Banned User

Remember, in DL most of the time waits are 20mins or less.
    No they're not. Check out some of the photos posted in the DL forum showing signs with wait times for multiple attractions. Yeah there are good days, but during the summer, or Christmas, or Spring Break....

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    No they're not. Check out some of the photos posted in the DL forum showing signs with wait times for multiple attractions. Yeah there are good days, but during the summer, or Christmas, or Spring Break....
    Most are 10-20min. Check Darkbeer's near daily photos. Only a handful are 30-40mis except on the busiest days. WDW is in a totally different scale unless its totally off-season.

• Volleyball Dad

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    When you are visiting WDW in the middle of summer - with 3 -4 kids in tow, it is hardly about me - me - me. I have been to the parks san kids - stopping in on business trip extensions, and I tour/view the park differently. When you take your children 1200 miles and you have no idea when your next visit will be, you concern is for maximizing your trip - yes.
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast