Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: 2/13: FastPass the Rolls Please

Great article with great insights. Imprtoving by degrees!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    For example, we used to be able to make an ADR ("Advance Dining Reservation" as Disney calls it) for Le Cellier the night before, but lately even a week ahead isn't far enough in advance.
    Sorry, this isn't a realistic expectation (especially in the context of the article about the holiday). Heck, you can't even do that in my home town let alone a prime location such as this.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

From the article:
    Then, more recently, this past weekend I saw something that made me take a second look: the tip tray (a leather folder) at a Disney World restaurant sported not the name of the restaurant, as has been the case for years and decades past, but a generic and horrifying logo for "Disney Parks: Where the Magic Comes True." I will be astonished if this does not spread to the other restaurants in the near future, if indeed it hasn't happened already. Reducing a dining experience from a unique encounter to just an interchangeable meal is part and parcel of the Decline by Degrees.
    These DisneyParks tip trays have been at Disneyland for at least a couple months now as well. A friend and I have experienced them at the Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans. It's sad. What happened to unique, park-specific experiences? I feel that ending a wonderfully unique dining experience at the Blue Bayou with a "DisneyParks" logo definately kills the mood. As small and petty as this change is, I agree that it's definately a decline-by-degrees, as you so aptly put it, Kevin.

Although, undoubtedly, somebody will dismiss my opinion with the argument that normal or infrequent guests probably don't even notice, or don't even care. But that's really a weak argument anyway.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    The Dining Plan (brought to you by the same small-minded execs and consultants behind the whole Destination Disney/Big Brother plan) has obliterated WDW resort dining as we once knew it.

There was a time (20 years ago) when only APers (who were almost entirely Floridians) could make reservations (and they were real, hard ressies ... not show up for an 8 p.m. PS and still be sitting at 8:54) and even they could only be done TWO DAYS ahead of time. Dinner shows could be booked a year or even two out.
    What are you talking about? We've been visting WDW for over 25 years and we've always made our dinner reservations in advance.. well in advance. And we had dining plans as well.. through the Magic Kingdom Club (where you had credit cards to use.. and well before any 'points' system).

Sorry, going to WDW includes planning.. and that includes ADR. That has always been the case since I first went in the late seventies.

The fine locations also had dress codes that were actually enforced.
    Which were those? I don't recall ever changing for food there, and being on the food plans.. we ate EVERYWHERE. Fixed meals every day..

You're an APer from NJ and decide to surprise your folks with a week's spring break stay at the Poly, but they can't decide what to wear today late alone what to eat for seven days in three months time ... surely the locations will leave tables open for walk-ups, right?
    Funny example.. considering I just booked for first week of March on Friday and had no problems getting my ADRs. Called on Friday night, booked my room and ADRs for France and the Poly Thurs and Friday night.

It is an asburdly guest (all guests again ... not just locals ... or all guests who aren't anal enough to be on the phone at 8 a.m. 180 days out) unfriendly policy.
    No what is absurd about it is the waits you have even when you do have reservations and are on time (5-10mins before your time).

My complaints with the food would be the lack of diversity in the menus.. even in the more specialized resturants. This goes 3x for the kids menus.

• Pilot EdForceOne

After reading the article.. I think the complaining factor has gone up. This fastpass complaints are identical to the DL ones now.. 'waaa if I don't want to use fastpass my world is worse'. Someone explain a good reason NOT to use fastpass?

As for the 'commandos' comments. I agree. Disney should start enforcing their own rules and make FPs run as they should - within a return window. The return window is what minimizes the impact on normal lines - because it spreads the line load out.

The whole 'lines are longer' is all perspective. Before FP.. hour+ waits for rides were practically the norm for rides, so why are people complaining about them now? The fact is using FP you can do more. Last I checked.. waiting 60 mins in line for any ride was NOT fun. Why would I want to do that everywhere?

Fastpass hard to figure out? Not up front? Please.. if you can't 'discover' this secret.. you should consider guided tours only!

I think the real 'declining' going on is the other subtle things you mentioned. All the non-park things that used to go on back when there were only 2 parks. All the extra tours, special things, etc. Those are the REAL things that most vistors never know exists, or you must call to really find out about. What does someone just strolling on MainStreet know about going to visit the horse barns, etc? Or the backstage tours? Or other elements?

Its these 'extras' that are hard for most people to find.. not fastpass comprehension or simple clues like making reservations in advance - which every book about disney ever written says to do.

oh god WDW1974, i agree about CRT. I remeber when it started in 95 (STILL called King Stefans!) and even though it was not an event , it WAS unique. Eating IN the Castle w/ the FACE characters in the MORNING. And it wasnt even all Princess you had, Minnie, Pan, Alice, Clopin, Esmeralda, and Poppins. Then the Princess franchise came and they turned it into the RainbowRoom/Club 33 expeirence it is now. WAY overrated and dinner, as far as im concerned, has been obliterated. As far as DDE, yes it has destroyed dining as we know it. NO QUESTION. At least the burger is OFF the Chefs de France dinner menu. But i think the getting reservations part is still fuzzy. I walked into Nine Dragons at 4pm for dinner one day and my parents booked THE PLAZA a WEEK before. So, who knows...???

After reading Kevin's article and all the posts about the Dining Plan, I thought I would give you our experience. We took our middle son and his family to WDW for their first trip ever to a Disney Park the week of December 17, 2006. My brother had warned us to make "ALL" of our eating reservations way before we went and I ignored him to our shame. With 2 little boys ages 4 and 6, it was harder to find a restaurant for 7 people for dinner much less lunch. We ended up one night at the Rainforest Cafe because we were told we could eat at 6:45 - we ended up eating at 9:00 and the boys were literally eating in their sleep. We were staying at the Poly and couldn't get a dinner reservation until 9:00 there nor any place on property. Next time we will do what a lot of other people seem to be doing and that's book every meal and if we're not at that particular park when time comes - we'll call and cancel. The remainder of our stay we ate at all the fast food places.

Smile Re: 2/13: FastPass the Rolls Please

After reading Kevin's article and all the posts about the Dining Plan, I thought I would give you our experience. We took our middle son and his family to WDW for their first trip ever to a Disney Park the week of December 17, 2006. My brother had warned us to make "ALL" of our eating reservations way before we went and I ignored him to our shame. With 2 little boys ages 4 and 6, it was harder to find a restaurant for 7 people for dinner much less lunch. We ended up one night at the Rainforest Cafe because we were told we could eat at 6:45 - we ended up eating at 9:00 and the boys were literally eating in their sleep. We were staying at the Poly and couldn't get a dinner reservation until 9:00 there nor any place on property. Next time we will do what a lot of other people seem to be doing and that's book every meal and if we're not at that particular park when time comes - we'll call and cancel. The remainder of our stay we ate at all the fast food places.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by happyj View Post
    We ended up one night at the Rainforest Cafe because we were told we could eat at 6:45 - we ended up eating at 9:00 and the boys were literally eating in their sleep.
    According to Allearsnet the Rainforest Cafe isn't on the dining plan so I wouldn't blame this one on them.

I called yesterday and today and added 7 additional ADR's for the first week in May and had multiple times to choose, even getting Le Cellier for lunch.

While I don't completely agree with the 20-20-20 method, I do think they should limit ADR's to 50% of the seats, then 1 week before open another window with 25% more seats, always leaving 25% of the seats available for walkups.

Whats funny in all this is the local Red Lobster in Brea, Ca. doesn't take any reservations and waiting times get up to 90 minutes during prime dinner times so waiting for a table happens everywhere.

So I guess counter service lines are now shorter since everyone is taking one meal a day at a sit down restuarant? Plus shorter lines for the rides as well. Who knew Disney Dining would have so many additional benefits. I'll be trying the Dining plan for the first time in May.

Interesting letter from the Wilderness Lodge letter writer, funny that I've never even had one of those things happen to me yet but they managed to have everything go wrong.

Lines were longer for Space, Splash and Thunder Mountain before FP. I remember waiting 2 hours plus. Just take a look at the UOG website for best times to go and you will see the current longest waits for these rides are between 40-80 minutes at the busiest times of day. This accounts for over 80% of the year.

Why is this, mainly because instead of getting into the line along with 5000 other people, we get FP and come back later. We hit high capacity rides with lines less than 20 minutes then come back when the computer has scheduled us. This scheduling disperses a % of would be riders to later times throughout the day.

If you want a long line try the soon to be open subs ride at DL.
    Last edited by socalkdg; 02-13-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    At the same time, in other cases there are fewer items being offered as the snack or dessert choice.

Snacks available for Disney Dining

MK
    Main Street Bakery:
    Bag of grapes
    Fruit Salad $2.99
    Box of 2 donuts
    Cinnamon rolls
    Choc.chip ice cream sandwich
    french toast loaf
    Blueberry muffin
    Cheese danish
    Chocolate chip muffin
    Apple Charlotte
    Strawberry Shortcake
    Key Lime Cheesecake
    Carrot Cake
    Main Street Ice Cream Shop
    All ice cream except the Waffle Bowl
    Main Street Confectionery (not listed in brochure)
    Chocolate covered strawberries
    Fudge
    Taffy
    Minnie's bake shop cookies
    smore's
    Chocolatears (choc.covered caramels) $4.00
    caramels
    Large lollipops
    Caramel apples (only plain)
    Pecan Pattie $3.95
    Almond Turtle w/choc. Mickey Mouse $3.95
    Box of Minnie Mouse cookies;peanut butter,white choc macadamia nut,
    chocolate chunk
    Cotton Candy
    Mix-your-own bag of jellybeans
    Enchanted Cove/Fantasyland:
    Strawberry Swirl $3.09
    Lemonade Slush $3.29
    Raspberry Lemonade Slush $3.29
    Prarie Outpost
    Cotton Candy $3.00
    Scuttles Landing:
    Sweet Cream Cheese Pretzel $3.29
    Assorted Chips $2.39
    Chocolate Chunk Cookie $1.59
    Bottle Water - $1.25 & $2.00
    Coffee - Regular or Decaffeinated $1.69 & $1.89
    Hot Chocolate and Hot Tea $1.69
    Soft Drinks - Coca Cola, Diete Coke, Sprite, Orange - $2.09 and $2.39
    Orange or Apple Juice - $2.39
    Lemonade $1.89
    Frozen Carbonated Beverages - $3.29
    Sand Castle Coca Cola
    Cherry Breeze
    Ocean Blue Raspberry
    Mrs. Potts:
    Sundae $3.09
    Fudge Brownie Sundae $3.59
    Milkshakes $2.99
    Strawberry shortcake $3.59
    Soft serve ice cream $2.89
    Chocolate chunk cookie $1.59
    Float $3.19
    Village Fry Shoppe
    McDonald Fries (both sizes) lg. $2.69 reg. $1.99
    Carrot cake $2.49
    Jello $.89
    Caseys:
    chili $1.79
    French fries $1.89
    Cracker jacks $0.99
    Aloha Isle:
    Dole Whip Soft Serve (pineapple, vanilla, chocolate, or swirl) $2.89
    Pineapple Float $3.49
    Coke or Rootbeer Float $3.19
    Auntie Gravity's:
    Soft serve ice cream $2.89
    Floats $3.19
    Sundaes $3.09
    Fruit Smoothies $3.49
    Frozen Cappuccino
    Aunt Polly's:
    Rootbeer Float $3.19
    Apple Pie Sundae $3.99\
    Lunching Pad:
    Spicy Cheese Pretzel $3.79
    Cream Cheese Pretzel $3.79
    Cherry Icee
    Liberty Square Market
    Corn on the Cob $2.00
    Baked Potato $3.49
    Sleepy Hollow
    Funnel cakes $3.29
    *Strawberry funnel cake & caramel corn bucket not a snack option
    Cappuccino Float
    Pinocchio Village Haus
    Figaro Fries $3.19
    Milkshake $2.99
    Chocolate Cake $2.49
    Cannoli $2.49
    Rice Crisp Treat $2.49
    Salad $2.19
    Fries $1.89
    Carts:
    cinnamon almonds & salted cashews
    Pork, Shrimp & Vegetable eggrolls/Adventureland $2.00
    Vegetable Curry Samosas/Adventureland $1.60
    pretzels/Frontierland
    churros/Frontierland
    EPCOT:
    England:
    It has been posted on this thread as "all food items under $5.00" but I do not know of any specific items.
    Fountainview Cafe:
    Butterfinger Cheesecake $3.29
    Chocolate Truffle cake $3.99
    Strawberry Smoothie $3.79
    Cafe Latte $3.19
    Mocha Cappuccino $3.19
    Germany/Sommerfest:
    pretzels $3.39
    Apple Strudel $3.69
    Germany gift shop: It has been posted as "all food items under $5.00" but I do not know of what specific items.
    Japan/Kaki Gori:
    Kaki Gori $2.25
    strawberry, honeydew melon, tangerine, or rainbow (all three flavors)
    Norway/Kringla:
    school bread $2.49
    creme horns $3.09
    danish $1.99
    cinnamon roll $2.79
    sweet pretzels $3.79
    Double Chocolate Cake $3.49
    Berry Tart $3.99
    Kringla - sweet pretzel $3.79
    Lefse - $1.99
    Waffle - topped with strawberry preserves $2.49
    Strawberry Cake $3.49
    Raspberry Cheesecake $3.79
    Rice Cream $2.29
    Veiled Maiden - applesauce and whipped cream with cinnamon $2.29
    No Sugar Added Chocolate Mousse $3.09
    Viking Helmet Cookie $1.49
    Chocolate Chunk Cookie $1.49
    Bear Claw $2.29
    Refreshment Port:
    Mcdonalds french fries-large
    McFlurry $3.99
    Sunshine Seasons:
    Fruit Tulips
    Worms & Dirt
    Cold salads
    Fruits
    Sun chips
    MouseGears:
    Box chocolate chunk cookies $4.00
    Bag cheese popcorn $3.00
    Disney candy bar $1.25
    Large chocolate dipped rice crispie treat (prepackaged) $3.29
    Small Mickey shaped choc. dipped rice crispie treat
    Mickey mints
    Carts:
    nuts
    AK:
    Asia Slush Cart
    Pretzel
    Frozen Lemonade
    Dino-bite Snacks
    Churros $2.29
    Cookies $1.59
    Chips $2.29
    Yogurt $1.99
    Flame Tree:
    Onion Rings $3.79
    French Fries $3.49
    Harambe Fruit Market
    Fruit Cup $2.99
    Watermelon $2.29
    Bowl of Grapes $3.29
    Bowl of Pineapple $3.99
    Soft Pretzel $3.29
    Tamu Tamu Cafe:
    waffle cones $3.79
    Soda Floats $3.59
    Hot Fudge or Strawberry Sundae $3.79
    Soft Serve cup $2.89
    Yogurt Smoothies;
    Strawberry&banana, Tropical Fruit or Cappuccino $3.79
    Kusafiri Coffee Shop & Bakery:
    Assorted pastries, muffins, cakes & cookies $1.59-$3.99
    Espresso $2.69
    Double Espresso $3.69
    Cappuccino $3.19
    Safari 12:
    Frozen Orange juice bars $2.50
    Powerades
    Carts:
    Mcdonald french fries $2.39
    Pizzasafari:
    side salad $1.49
    breadsticks & sauce $3.99
    Frozen Lemonade $2.99
    Frozen Strawberry Lemonade $2.99
    Chip & Dale's Cookie Cabin:
    Root Beer Float $3.59
    MGM:
    Beverly Sunset:
    Island Chillers (slushies) $3.00
    Caramel Apples $3.00
    Brownies $2.50
    Caramel apple w/nuts
    prepackaged kettle corn
    Island Chiller drink
    6 pieces of Fudge
    English Toffee Slab
    Mint Smoothie (candy, not drink)
    Mammoth Pecan Pattie
    Pecan Caramel Roll
    Peanut Butter Heaven
    Mammoth Cashew Pattie
    Starring Rolls
    Cappuccino or Latte $3.19
    Cafe Mocha $3.69
    Espresso $2.69
    Cinnamon Roll
    Double Chocolate Muffin
    Chocolate Croissant
    Gerties:
    waffle cones $3.79
    Herbies:
    steamed pork buns $1.99
    Large soft pretzels$3.29
    Banana Frozen Cooler $3.29
    Blue Raspberry Cooler $3.29
    Min & Bill's Dockside
    Spicy Cheese Stuffed Pretzel $3.79
    Apple Cinnamon Stuffed Dessert Pretzel $3.79
    Pretzel $3.29
    Vanilla or Chocolate shake $2.89
    Frozen Lemonade $3.29
    Chips $2.39
    Cookie $1.79
    Sunset Ranch Market
    Grapes
    Frozen lemonade
    Teens & Tweens
    Orange Pineapple smoothie
    KRNR
    Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange, Barq's Root Beer $2.09
    Chips $2.39
    Hot Chocolate $1.89
    Minute Maid Orange $2.39
    Apple Juice $1.69
    Nescafe Coffee Regular or Decaf $1.89
    Chocolate Chip Cookie $1.89
    Dasani Bottled Water $1.25/$2.00
    Smoothies (made with non-fat yogurt) - Strawberry, banana, strawberry/banana, orange pineapple, cappuccino $3.79
    Fairfax Fries:
    Large fries
    Writer's Stop:
    100% Arabica or Columbian House Blend or Decaf - $1.50/ $1.98
    Cappuccino / Cafe Latte - $2.97
    Espresso / Americano - $1.51
    Mochacino / Mocha Latte - $3.47
    Mickey's Hot Chocolate (Seasonal) - $2.40
    Steamers $2.52
    Cafe Cooler / Fruit Cooler - $3.20
    Iced Cappuccino / Iced Latte - $2.97
    Iced Mochacino / Iced Mocha Latte - $3.47
    Powerade $2.50

Cart
    Chocolate Covered Banana
    DOWNTOWN DISNEY
    GOOFY'S CANDY COMPANY
    Box of Character Cookies
    Toffee slab
    Big box of Mickey animal crackers
    Bag of Mickey pretzels
    Bag of Mickey cheese crackers
    Bag of Mickey snack mix
    Candy bars
    Create your own Marshmallow sticks
    Create your own Pretzels (3)
    Create your own rice krispie treat
    12" create your own sugar stick
    Lollipops
    Bag of Goofy's gummies
    Dark chocolate covered mint squares
    Almond turtles
    Gingerbread Mickeys
    Chocolate covered strawberries
    Cotton Candy
    Fudge
    Coconut Haystacks
    Caramel Apples
    Flavored Slushies
    gingerbread cookies
    WORLD OF DISNEY
    Character Boxes of cookies
    small bags of pretzels
    Large Lollipops $4.00
    Shortbread Rounds $4.00
    Mickey's mints
    BLIZZARD BEACH:
    Lottawatta Lodge:
    Swirl Cup of Ice cream $2.89
    Frozen Lemonade $2.99
    AKL/MARA
    Fruit bowls
    Watermelon Bowl
    muffin
    danish
    Large cookie
    Ind. bowls of cereal
    Milk
    side salads
    side fresh cut vegetables w/ranch dressing
    carrot cake
    chocolate mousse dome
    zebra domes
    cheesecake and raspberry sauce
    rice krispie treats
    caramel apples
    brownies
    Box of Entenmanns donuts
    AKL gift shop:
    Minnie's bake shop cookies $3.75
    Cheese corn
    Large bag of Pretzels
    large bag of chips
    2 liter bottle of Coke
    giant lollipops
    Divvies treats: caramel corn, jelly beans, nice looking cookies, rice crispy treats with a chocolate drizzle/ALL ALLERGY SAFE TREATS
    ALL STAR SPORTS
    grits
    croissant
    choc. croissant
    muffin
    apple juice
    Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich
    Frozen OJ bar
    Bagel with cream cheese
    Box of donuts
    bowl of grapes
    bowl of mixed fruit
    mickey rice crispie treat
    Big bag of chips
    dip
    box of Minnie cookies
    popcorn
    Quart of milk
    2 liter bottle of Coke
    Cheesy fries
    Goofy mints
    bag of small lollipops
    jumbo lollipop
    marshmallow snack/Goofy's legs

ALL STAR MOVIES:
    Muffin
    Small Salad
    Small fruit salad
    Apples & caramel dip
    ice cream
    Bags of chips
    Gift shop:
    Large lollipop
    5 pack Mickey lollipops
    Bucket of Cotton Candy
    Package of Peanut Brittle
    Package of caramel chocolates
    Package of Goofy sour candies
    Box of Mickey cookies
    Box of Entenmanns donuts
    Box of Entenmanns choc.chip cookies
    ALL STAR MUSIC
    Cereal with milk $2.99
    Biscuits & gravy
    Chip & Dale Peanut Brittle $3.50
    Chip & Dale Pretzels
    Box of Donuts $3.19
    Goofy candy $2.75
    Large bag of sun chips
    Jar of dip
    Jar of salsa
    Character cookies
    Cut up fruit
    Fruit Bowl
    Crumb cake
    Mickey shaped rice krispy treat
    Apple
    Orange juice
    iced tea
    merchandise shop:
    Box of Entenmanns donuts $3.79
    Tin of mints $3.00
    Box of Entenmanns mini muffins
    Large bottle of Dasani water
    BC MARKETPLACE:
    Gelato!
    Berry & Yogurt parfait
    Brownie
    Blueberry muffin
    Cinnamon Bun $2.59
    Chocolate Croissant $2.49
    Fruit Tart $3.29
    Macaroon Coconut Bar $3.29
    Oatmeal
    Eclair $2.79
    loaf of bread
    1/2 gallon of milk
    Small bottles of orange juice,milk chocolate milk
    Individual bowls of cereal
    Banana, orange, apple
    fruit bowl
    Box of Disney cookies
    box of entenmanns doughnuts
    Box of entenmanns cookies
    Entenmanns coffee cake
    Six count package of Thomas Bagels
    Six count package of English Muffins
    Rice Krispie treats
    chocolate covered marshmellows $2.39
    Chip & Dale trail mix
    Chip & Dale sweet & salty mix
    Princess bouquet of suckers
    Bags of Disney candy (chewy spree,reg.spree,small spiral lollipops)
    Large Mickey jawbreaker
    Mickey spiral suckers (4)
    Chocolate character suckers
    Package of Pez (6)
    12" Create-your-own sugar sticks
    large bag of chips, smart food, doritos
    large container of Lays Stax
    Jar of salsa
    Jar of nacho cheese
    Lunchables
    •cake not a snack option
    BOARDWALK BAKERY
    Vanilla & Chocolate Donut Rings $1.59
    Raspberry Donut
    Bowtie Twist Donut $2.59
    Assorted Danish $2.59
    Cinnamon Buns $2.59
    Sticky Buns $2.59
    Sugar Free Cheesecake $3.99
    Cheesecake Brownie $3.99
    Fruit Tart $3.99
    Eclair $3.59
    Cupcake $1.99
    Sm. Mickey Cakes $2.79
    Breakfast burrito $3.99
    Egg sandwich $3.99
    Cereal w/milk $1.99
    Fruit plate w/yogurt dipping sauce $5.99
    *regular cheesecake not a snack option
    *Tiramisu not a snack option
    BOARDWALK/SEASHORE SWEETS
    Fudge
    Chocolate
    Slushie
    Cotton Candy
    Mickey & Pluto Candy Dispensers
    3 pk lollipops
    Large rice krispie treats
    Candy lipstick
    Mickey mints
    BOARDWALK/SCREEN DOOR
    I was told all items under $4.00 but nothing is marked with the DP symbol
    CARIBBEAN BEACH
    Yogurt
    Fruit Bowls
    Muffins
    Crumb Cake
    Danish
    Bagels
    2 slices of bread
    Milk with individuals bowls of cereal
    8 pk of Entemanns choc donuts
    12 pk of Entemanns variety donuts
    12 inch Goofy's sugar stick
    Mickey rice krispie treat
    Single large cookie
    Zucchini bread
    Carrots/celery sticks and dip
    Apple slices and dip
    CORONADO
    Cinnamon rolls
    Muffins
    Cookies
    Croissants
    Baguettes
    Danishes
    Banana bread
    large bag of chips
    ice cream
    fruit bars
    Chip & Dale snacks
    Jelly Belly jelly beans
    Box of Entenmann's donuts
    CONTEMPORARY
    Banana, Apple or orange
    Pop Tarts
    Bagel
    Muffin
    Yogurt
    Yogurt/Granola Parfait
    Box of Entenmanns donuts (gift shop)
    pudding
    Cookie
    Cake
    Cupcake
    Chocolate Bars
    Mickey Rice Krispie Bars
    Haagen Daas Bars
    Cheese & grape platter
    Cheesecake
    Carrot Cake
    Chocolate Cake
    Sm. Salad
    FORT WILDERNESS TRADING POST
    32 OZ Bottle of water
    Large bags of chips
    Large jars of dip
    MERCANTILE STORE
    Bag of Bagels
    OLD KEY WEST/Goods to Go
    6 pack of Thomas Bagels
    8 pack of Entenmanns donuts
    Box of Entenmanns cookies
    Loaves of bread
    4 sticks of butter
    1/2 gallon of milk
    64 oz. orange juice
    Lunchables
    Large bag of Tostitos
    Jar of Tostitos Salsa
    Jar of Tostitos Con Queso dip
    Jar of Peanut Butter
    Smoothies
    ice cream
    onion rings
    french fries
    POP CENTURY:
    1/2 gallon of orange juice
    Large bag of chips, cheetos or pretzels
    Rice crispy treats in chocolate
    Chocolatears (choc.covered caramels) $4.00
    Bag of lollipops
    Candy bars
    Chip & Dale Snacks
    Lg. box of entenmanns donuts
    Box of chocolate chunk cookies
    Chocolate Croissant
    Cheesecake
    Chocolate cake
    Fresh fruit bowl
    Apples with Peanut Butter
    Carrots/Celery with Dip
    Side Salad
    Side French Fries
    Chili Cheese french fries
    Yogurt
    Hot Fudge Sundae
    Milkshake
    Worms & Dirt
    Minnie's bake shop graham cookies $3.75 (gift shop)
    POFQ:
    Beignets
    Yogurt
    Single serving fruit or grapes $3.29
    Cup of Soup $2.49
    Big cookie
    .85oz Turkey Jerky
    Chip & Dale vanilla creme cookies
    Powerade
    Lemonade
    Pastries
    Fruit juice
    YooHoo
    Hot fudge sundae
    Milkshake $3.79
    POFQ GIFT SHOP
    Large box of Disney cookies;character or choc & vanilla $3.75
    1 quart of milk $3.75
    1 liter water $1.75
    POR:
    Lg. ice cream sandwich
    milkshakes
    fruit bowls
    muffins
    danish
    Lg. bag of chips
    Chip & Dale bags of snacks
    Bags of kettle corn (reg. flavor only)
    Box of Entenmanns donuts
    Box of Entenmanns cookies
    Lays Stax
    Rice crispies treats
    SARATOGA SPRINGS:
    Lag bag of Lays chips, dorito's, smart food popcorn, tortilla chips
    Jar of salsa
    Jar of cheese
    Jar of bean dip
    Jar of peanut butter
    Smart pop popcorn
    Box of Entenmann's donuts & donut holes
    Box of Entenmann's mini-muffins
    Package of Lender's Bagels
    Package of Thomas English muffins
    Loaf of bread (several types)
    Package of Hot Dog buns
    Two-pack of Pop Tarts
    8 oz ind. cartons of milk, skim, 2%
    16 oz bottle of chocolate, whole, strawberry milk
    muffins $2.29
    Hugs & kisses cheesecake
    strawberry cheesecake
    Key lime pie
    chocolate croissant
    brownies
    cinnamon rolls $2.59
    fruit salad (grapes,melon & cantelope)
    lettuce salad
    Package of Strawberries (6-7) with 1/4 cup of Cool Whip
    yogurt parfaits $3.79
    Pint of Haagen Dazs Sorbet (haagen dazs ice cream not included
    Pint of Edy's Ice Cream
    Package of Edy's Dibs (two sizes both are available on the plan)
    All Chip & Dale Candy Co. treats
    WL/ROARING FORKS:
    All ice cream $2.39-$2.79
    brownie
    bag of chips
    fruit $2.99
    Muffins $2.29
    Donuts $0.99
    Cereal
    fruit bowls
    Sm. Pbj sandwiches
    Mickey rice krispy treats (reg. & choc.)
    WL/Merchantile:
    Lunchables
    Minnie Mouse vanilla creme cookies $3.25
    Chip & Dale nut mix($4)
    Box of Entenmanns donuts($3.99)
    Package of Lenders bagels
    Large bag of chips
    Large bag of Smart food popcorn
    Last edited by socalkdg; 02-13-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    The implication is pretty clear: come to Central Florida and relax.
    I would say that the new dining program promotes this old philosophy by having people slow down, sit down, and enjoy a table meal that takes 1-2 hours to eat with appetizer, main meal, and desert.

Just a quick background, on us before i critigue the article, two 25 year olds married in May at Disneyworld after visiting on our first trip in February we went back in august after getting bored of crouses we had never been to disney before February. Many of these articles sound like the ones I used to write at cruisecritic.com.. You go on a vacation one year and the next year there is no shrimp cocktail, which you loved from the year before, and you say to yourself, this cruise is declining by degrees

Anyways, where do we start, oh right, fastpass.

FastPass-Fast pass and its other theme park varients have revolutionized the way people can enjoy them parks. An example might be, instead of waiting online for Everest, I get my fast pass and enjoy a wonderful walk around Discovery island with me wife. Before, its waiting in line, now its relaxing around the them park while still getting on your favorite rides. And for the commando types ,god bless them, and for the ones that can't figure out how to use a fast pass machine, well then thats just social darwinism my friends. Fastpas is easy to use, easy to figure out, and best of all free.

Advanced Dining Reservations- That 120 day window makes all those extreme disney moms who need make sure their parents can dine with cinderalla happy, but for the rest of us... Heres how we play, about 30 days before the trip I show Kristin a list of places I'd like to eat (California Grill, Victoria and Alberts, Le Cellier, Blu Zoo), and as long as you are willing to be flexible on times or days then you can eat their even during the busiest times.

Reforms to Reservation System- I think anyone staying in a concierge level room or above should be able to eat wherver and whenever they want. I think disney should also take care of that family who booked through costco on the DDP and were never told they needed reservations. Let me say this much, if I want up to Le Celllier on the first night of my trip and was told they were sold out, than you better bet I'd be on the phone and learm all about ADRs the next day for the rest of trip (again, I sound harsh, but its social darwinism). The reservatsions should save some spots for first timers and possibly ap holders,(even have a real time website online as well as the greeting stations where last minute ap holders and first timers can see what is available) . But what Kevin is reccommending just wouldn't work. It's was too drastic and would cut down on the number of filled tables and would disneys bottom line. An idea that is much more plausible to me is that a dining reservations contacts the client with the reservation 30 days out and explains the importance of pre booking tables. Thats disney magic.

Disney Dining Plan- We love the disney dining plan,because it basically amounts to what we would normally eat without a plan and get a great discount. Sometimes you get rushed through, and recently restaurants have lost items. That is sad but its about guest throughput not quality. Disney needs to always remember that quality is paramount. I read my wife this article and she said that one thing about DDP that is so nice is that a family might not normally be able to afford go out to dinner everynight on a trip now has that ability in their hands. Makes the experience more magical for them.

In the area I live..Sometimes we want to eat somewhere and they are filled up so we just wait for next week and make a resaurvation the next time. In my experiences with life, the woman yelling at the desk usually doesn't get a table anyways.

As I think more and more about this article. I really begin to think its about something else. An involved travel agent. If you aren't the kind of person thats what to use TMG yourself, than you need to find a Travel Agent that can at least explain things like fast passes and reservations to you...

Last thought.. I promise... We need more restaurants! And more new restaurants off the DDP to accomodate the last minuters and the apers
    Last edited by Chroniq; 02-13-2007 at 09:52 PM.

• Basking in birthday love

Y'all should read Waiter Rant. It's a blog written by a guy who was, up until recently, head waiter at a very upscale New York restaurant. One of the things he mentions frequently is how much he hates people who show up at 8:00 on a Saturday night with no reservation and expect a table. Out in the rest of the world, if you want to eat somewhere nice, you make a reservation, or hope your karma is good enough to get a walk-in with a wait that's not ridiculous. Why should Disney World be any different? At least at Disney World, if you're told that it will be an hour before your table is ready, you have something better to do than sit in front of Cheesecake Factory and wait.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    What are you talking about? We've been visting WDW for over 25 years and we've always made our dinner reservations in advance.. well in advance. And we had dining plans as well.. through the Magic Kingdom Club (where you had credit cards to use.. and well before any 'points' system).

Sorry, going to WDW includes planning.. and that includes ADR. That has always been the case since I first went in the late seventies.
    WDW never had a reservation system, perse for dining in the 1970s, with the exception of dinner shows and a few high end locales.

The whole concept, at least for theme park locales, didn't exist until EPCOT Center opened in 1982. And those were only day of, or for APers, two days out. I know that for a fact. And while some MKC packages (like the ones you went on) may have allowed for reservations at restaurants by setting aside tables (I'm honestly not familar enough with them to speak), they were a TINY portion of guests on any given day if just for the small resort inventory plus the fact most guests weren't on packages.

So, if you're going to say that anyone could pick up a phone and book dinner at King Stephan's a month in advance in 1980, I'm just (as nicely as possible) going to say you're mistaken.

As someone who spent weeks a year at WDW in the 70s, 80s and 90s, I can tell you that PS's as a concept weren't needed until the mid-late 90s (except during holidays and the most popular locations).

You certainly didn't need to book months out for fear you wouldn't get in to say, Japan, at all for your week vacation.

Which were those? I don't recall ever changing for food there, and being on the food plans.. we ate EVERYWHERE. Fixed meals every day..
    Off the top of my head, locations with strict dress codes (i.e. coat and ties for men, dresses for women) included the Gulf Coast Room and Top of the World for dinner at the Contemporary, Empress Lilly (at least two locations including the Empress Room), Lake Buena Vista Club (less strict, I believe) ...

Funny example.. considering I just booked for first week of March on Friday and had no problems getting my ADRs. Called on Friday night, booked my room and ADRs for France and the Poly Thurs and Friday night.
    I'm going to assume you're not being combative and are just illustrating that it isn't always difficult to book what you want.

Well, I agree with you. Sometimes you can call and get what you want ... of course, you're still calling a month in advance. That's not my point. And it doesn't mean 'the system works! yeah!'

I can, for example, almost always snag a reservation at California Grill the week I want to dine there ... how? Simple because I know that they'll always have 9:50 p.m. (and usually as early as 9:20) available. But if I want 7:30 (my preferred dinner time), I know I'm outta luck.

Some people, especially locals and people who aren't WDW regulars, can't/won't/don't know about doing so and to get to Epcot and be told that EVERY table service restaurant is booked except ... we can get you into Germany at 8:50 tonight ... well, that's not kewl and it's not smart business.

No what is absurd about it is the waits you have even when you do have reservations and are on time (5-10mins before your time).

My complaints with the food would be the lack of diversity in the menus.. even in the more specialized resturants. This goes 3x for the kids menus.
    That's because Disney overbooks and understaffs. It's also the inherent problem in having PS and not real reservations where tables are set aside for YOU. They used to do that ... way back in the 80s.

And the lack of diversity is simply a byproduct of the Dining Plan. It's only going to get worse the more popular it becomes. Once Disney has your money in advance, it has zero motivation to provide you with 12 quality/ unique entree options when the 'same six' will do.

• Banned User

I'm going in July and that article just gave me a real uneasy feeling about the trip now.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast