Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 2/20: Bait & Switch-backs

While most print magazines aim to put out one top-notch article per month/issue, MiceAge has put out three (THREE!) cover story-worthy, informative and fun to read pieces in the past 30 days: Kevin's Dining Plan and Moving to Orlando articles and Al's article today.
    Great job, guys.
    Bored? Check out my animation news & reviews website: http://skunkandburningtires.com

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

sorry about the all caps...i hate using correct capitalization.

i think i know how to fix the WDW / DL issue.

the wald disney corp. needs to hire more people like John Lasseter. people that actually care more about the history, ambiance, and public view of the parks than their own paychecks. those type of people are the ones that realize that with greater products comes bigger profits. not cutting corners here and there. remember, the more corners you cut, the less of the whole you will have. (i just had a yoda moment)

i love the feeling you get when you pass thorugh the walkways into mainstreet usa. there is no other feeling like that in the world...
    THAT is what DCA needs. i realize that nothing will ever be another DL, but at least if there was someone that truly cared about the final product, was incharge of the parks, we wouldn't ever have to post pictures of a rotting Mark Twain, or a floor in disrepair to get the attention of the bigwigs in burbank.

geez that was a long sentence.
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

Great update, Al.
    It seems that Disneyland is dealing with a two-faced system right now. On the one hand, you have John Lasseter who's making WDI and MiceAge very happy people by finally paying attention to them, but on the other hand, you have Ed Grier who is forming a disconnect with the actual casts of Disneyland and California Adventure.
    It's an interesting dynamic to notice, and perhaps, with turnover rates being what they are, it's important to get WDI on their side in order to ensure a strong legacy in the future.

And a little nitpick: permenacer sentado(s), por favor.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

Thanks for the update!

I'm especially excited about the pirate island updates. I see hard hats and execs being ferried over to the island (via raft) daily and have yet to see any real changes. How tight can the schedule be, and how expansive is the build when after two weeks, barely anything has happened.

They haven't even started casting the stunt show yet. I'm interested in watching the goings-on in the last few hectic weeks of the build.

We shall see...

Thanks for the update, Al. Great work as always. Most importantly, it helped me schedule my next trip.

Here's something I had not heard before. Is this new news? Anyone?

And you can bet that when it comes to individual attractions as they get going, like the D-Ticket Grizzly Peak Railroad concept that would wind around the proposed animatronic additions to the DCA raft ride a la'the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, John will surely take the blueprints home with him some weekend and see what sight gags and plusses he can come up with

I would love to see this added to DCA. Has anyone heard anything about this new version of the Mine Train?

Thanks,

-Reagan

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    And while Disneyland's construction projects go full bore, there's plenty of action over in Paradise Pier as well. The installation of an entirely new building under the tracks of California Screamin' hasn't been going as well as hoped, and that popular roller coaster continues to see delayed openings or unplanned day-long closures due to construction logistical hurdles that keep cropping up. Luckily these closures are all happening on weekdays when the DCA customers are almost exclusively made up of park-hopping tourists who can try again the following day.
    God forbid they interrupt the plans of the locals who have ridden Screamin' over fifty times already.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by blondiethesounds View Post
    the wald disney corp. needs to hire more people like John Lasseter. people that actually care more about the history, ambiance, and public view of the parks than their own paychecks.
    For some reason this reminds me of the old Steve Martin joke about how to be a millionaire - first, get a million dollars. Disney corporate does not see the value in employees that actually care about the parks. They hire people who can use a spreadsheet, squeeze a product dry, and make a few extra bucks for this year's balance sheet. Until that corporate mentality changes, guys like Lasseter and Emmer are going to be the exception, not the rule.

• The one, the only...

Wonderful update Al! Thanks for keeping us informed.

I don't know why no one is using Fastpass when it comes to Nemo. I just picture a little child who is being raised by their grandparents who wants to ride. The grandparents cannot stand for three hours to ride so they don't let the little child go. There are cases when Fastpass allows people to enjoy an attraction who could not otherwise.

I am so thankful that Lassiter is there. Truly, Disneyland would be in a much poorer shape this year if he wasn't. WDW needs its own savior Lassiter to manage that resort. WDW is such a big place but seems to get fewer upgrades than it deserves.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

^^ +1 ^^
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• Banned User

Thanks for the insightful (as usual) and entertaining update, Al!

I am actually quite excited about the new attractions slated for DCA, which should go a long way toward making this park worth the price of admission. While I think parts of DCA are well done and enjoyable, the entire Paradise Pier section was a huge disappointment, and I really hope it becomes something more than the eyesore it currently is.

I'm rather ambivalent about losing Tom Sawyer from, um, ah, Tom Sawyer's Island. I have been visiting Disneyland since 1962, and I've watched the relevance of this theme diminish over time, and the island itself just become a dirty wallow (muddy when it rains) for kids to climb around, or just a stage for Fantasmic. I welcome the attempt to make the island exciting and fresh again, and in another 20 years or so when pirates are no longer popular (or interesting) to the masses, the island can receive a new make over -- lets go with an HP Lovecraft theme next time : I can imagine it now...

Honey, why are the children all huddled in the corner corner ? I used to love visiting
    Wilbur Whateley's Island when I was a kid. Come on now, everyone out of the raft!

[A short while later...]

Eh-y-ya-ya-yahaah - e'yayayaaaa... ngh'aaaaa... ngh'aaa... h'yuh... h'yuh... help!
    Help! ... Ff - ff - ff - father! Father! Yog-Sothoth!

• Infinitized!

Good update. I'm still hoping to hear something about the Peoplemover track and maybe the long proposed upgrades to Fronteirland.

Also, what's this about a...
    ...D-Ticket Grizzly Peak Railroad concept that would wind around the proposed animatronic additions to the DCA raft ride a la'the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Good update. I'm still hoping to hear something about the Peoplemover track
    That's what I was about to say. I got a little nervous when he said that, after this summer, attention will shift back to DCA for a few years. I fear that if the tracks sit idle that much longer, they'll find reason to tear them out for safety reasons and never rebuild. Got my fingers crossed!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Good update. I'm still hoping to hear something about the Peoplemover track.
    Thats what i'm waiting for too

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm really warming up to the whole Pirate Island thing. I know that it won't be very impressive when it opens this summer (there simply isn't time). But when they finish the final stages of the project over the next few years, there is every reason to believe that it will be a successful and crowd-pleasing update to this oft neglected section of the park.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Munchings & Crunchings

What's this about rebranding MGM as "Disney-Pixar Studios"? Since there area already so many Pixar attractions throughout WDW, will it be overkill? I mean, you've got Buzz & Monsters at MK, Nemo & Crush at EPCOT, Nemo & Bugs at DAK. So, what will that leave MGM (Toy Story Mania notwithstanding)?

Oh, and the Grizzly River Railroad sounds like a GREAT idea! Awesome little fixes like that will really add kinetics to DCA, as well as a larger attraction count.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast