Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: 2/20: Bait & Switch-backs

boy I didn't know disney management was still in the stoneage. My hubby's company got rid of their company cars close to 10 years ago. It was a cost consideration. Each person that had a company car received a one time bonus equal to the current value of the car , an approximation of what insurance would be,and an amount to cover the taxes.Then their car could be purchased or they could buy another one. there is no reason, especially in california for any exec to have a gas guzzling SUV. that is just shear stupidity. I can see iger and lassetter and the higher level officers having a limo or driver but everyone else should have their own cars by now.

• Circle of Ancients

At first thought I'd think the Disney/Pixar Studios would be overkill considering everything else Pixar in the other parks.

But upon further thought:

A Bugs life certainly fits the AK theme.

Buzz fits tomorrowland.

Nemo fits the Seas pavillion.

The only thing that stands out and makes me scratch my head is the Monsters thing in TL. It has since the beginning, but now if they rebrand MGM it makes even more sense to put it there.

I seriously wonder how much $$ it would take to just move it over to MGM? Considering it's not open yet and they have some empty buildings at MGM, I wouldn't suspect much.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The only thing that stands out and makes me scratch my head is the Monsters thing in TL. It has since the beginning, but now if they rebrand MGM it makes even more sense to put it there.

I seriously wonder how much $$ it would take to just move it over to MGM? Considering it's not open yet and they have some empty buildings at MGM, I wouldn't suspect much.
    I've been trying to figure out the TL connection, too. I agree - more sensible to move it to Studios (can we not say "MGM" anymore, then?) where there's not such a specific "theme." Everything in Studios is so random, anyway, might as well lump all the misc. stuff there!

• back in Austin

Awesome update, Al! I'm glad you had some good news to report.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    And a little nitpick: permenacer sentado(s), por favor.
    Double-nitpick, mrfantasmic. Al's Spanish was correct, although personalized toward one man (Ed), and your "correction" has the verb "permanecer" spelled incorrectly.

edit: sorry about this one, mrfantasmic. Al's Spanish was wrong after all - I misread it.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    While I think parts of DCA are well done and enjoyable, the entire Paradise Pier section was a huge disappointment, and I really hope it becomes something more than the eyesore it currently is.
    Agreed. When my friend, Carla, and I were at DLR last spring we didn't even bother to head back into the Paradise Pier section. And we had come all the way from Texas to get there! If I were on my own, I would've visited every section of the park, but it's a strong testimony to the lack of engaging theming back there that we didn't even bother to go a few extra steps to see it this time.
    Last edited by RenMan; 02-22-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: goof on my part

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I'm really warming up to the whole Pirate Island thing.
    As am I....it's just a warm fuzzy feeling inside about it..a good feeling maybe? We shall see! But I know my parents were a bit shocked to hear about the change. One of their first dates was to Disneyland and at TSI they even have a great pic! So still kinda mixed feelings.

So there WILL be a AP Submarine opening on June 6th and 7th? No lottery or anything like that?

This was great reading. Thanks so much!

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: 2/20: Bait & Switch-backs

Thanx for another great update Al! Again, it seems the business ethics at TDA are just oblivious to what they really need to do (raise the pay & treatment of their employees). I'm sure when the majority of their staff quit mid-summer while we wait 3 hours for Nemo (sooooooo can't wait for it!), Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (I can't seem to find a child below the age of 16 who has read Tom Sawyer (or Huckleberry Finn for that matter- I think my generation (Class of 1986) were the last to read either before the "banned books" ethics kicked in agin in the late '80's/early '90's) and they have to deal with the heat of not only the weather (but the bitterness of the clientele), they might wake up & smell the dysfunction (but I doubt it- they'll be too busy counting their money in TDA). And yes, get the OSHA peeps in there right away to see that disaster you mentioned almost slipping on. Ridiculous!

Oh, and the Grizzly Railroad concept for DCA is genius!

Regardsarama,

Jon
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

Quote Originally Posted by nojarama View Post
    Thanx for another great update Al! Again, it seems the business ethics at TDA are just oblivious to what they really need to do (raise the pay & treatment of their employees). I'm sure when the majority of their staff quit mid-summer while we wait 3 hours for Nemo (sooooooo can't wait for it!), Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (I can't seem to find a child below the age of 16 who has read Tom Sawyer (or Huckleberry Finn for that matter- I think my generation (Class of 1986) were the last to read either before the "banned books" ethics kicked in agin in the late '80's/early '90's) and they have to deal with the heat of not only the weather (but the bitterness of the clientele), they might wake up & smell the dysfunction (but I doubt it- they'll be too busy counting their money in TDA). And yes, get the OSHA peeps in there right away to see that disaster you mentioned almost slipping on. Ridiculous!

Oh, and the Grizzly Railroad concept for DCA is genius!

Regardsarama,

Jon
    I have read Both Tom Sawyer and Huck Fin. I have also read a few of the other stories by Mark twain. Great author. So is Jules Verne. I graduated HS in 96.

But then again I am a Literature Abuser.

Oh well. Off to the bookstore. I feel the need for $300 worth of books again. I may need another bookcase by the time I am done.

• Banned User

Thanks so much for the update Al. It is wonderful hearing about the updates to the Submarines, it has helped having someone who is as sucessful and creative as walt disney was in the film industry (i.e. John Lasseter) who can single handly guide a creative effort from drawing board to design to construction to opening day. Much of Disneyland's current management relies upon layers and layers of bureacracy, and no single person has the power, or political standing within the Mouse House to bring a new attraction, themed area or restaurant into fruition. Hopefully with John Lasseter this creative process has become streamlined, and people with alot of creativity are given freer reign. While Michael Eisner is often decried as creating the abdomination that is DCA, at least he was open to creating something new in the disneyland area. . . however, the experience proved that people with experience in film and story-telling are better at designing theme parks than executives. While Walt gave us a near-perfect park compared to DCA to be continually improved with new imaginative ideas, Eisner gave us a piece of silly putty (a rather expensive piece of silly putty) to work with, hopefully the new plans for DCA will introduce some of the creativity back into this area of the Disneyland resort.

There are definite ride capacity issues with the Subs and the Pirates Lair, when the open. One idea rumored floated for Pirates Lair is a ground side cave entrance on NOS, that goes underneath the Rivers of america and exits on the island, however, this would prove costly to build. Most easily accomplished would the creation of new landing port on Tom Sawyer's Island for more rafts, and a greater dock capacity on NOS side, most exciting would be the creation of a new type of ride vehicle that is more pirate themed than a raft, such as the "long boat" feature in POTC, perhaps complete with a pirate on the front of the boat and a guide dressed as a pirate, such a system might necessitate the creation of a new electric/gas power propulsion system completely beneath the water, but controlled in the back of the boat, personally I prefer this alternative to the standing up rafts that are now currently used and where guests are pack like sardines. I would keep a sharp eye mate on the construction of new docking systems on the island as Pirate's Liar will likely remain popular far after the POTC double-triologies are completed.

Hopefully the permanent eye-sore that is the unused people mover track in Tomorrowland will be replaced with a new ride. The rocket-rods were a great ride while in place, but impossible to maintain, and there was always fear that the computer controlled stunts would malfunction, too a complex a ride to maintain on a long-term basis. Many different ideas have been floated for how to use this track. Including an incredibles enclosed pod ride, turn the track into a "stage" for audio-anamatronics a la Monster Inc comedy club in WDW, only on the track these aliens would "walk" around and interact with guests along with other "aliens" moving around the track, this would give the guest the feeling of walking around in an alien city of the future, without actually touching the "aliens", and these creatures could supposedly be pulled back inside the buildings by punching a button, also a "pod race" type ride has been envisioned for the track based on Star Wars, this ride would be much slower paced than the rocket rods, but feature many inside scenes a la the Tron scenes from the old people mover where guests can live the experience of anakin sykwalk flying through a desert landscape or flying through space in a military battle, and the outside guest would "cruise" through tomorrowland in a futuristic american graffitti type way and see various scenes of alien AAs staged along the ride track, who know maybe scenes featuring Mr. tomorrow parking his futuristic rocket car, just one of the many proposed ideas to plus Tomorrowland! I will keep you updated as to what my source tells me, hopefully we will be able to experience some of these new attractions in 6-7 years

• Minion

They had better not switch focus entirely to DCA until the Rocket Jets/PeopleMover problem is solved. We have waited almost 10 years!

• Circle of Ancients

^ Agreed.

I think a nice solution to the raft problem going to TSI would be some kind of draw-bridge that would slide out from under ground thus eliminating a big bulky ugly looking bridge that would look bad when not being used.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I so can't wait for the subs. I'll wait in line as long as it takes no matter what happens...I do hope that TDA figures out how to even previews out, though. If I get a preview ticket to ride and my boyfriend doesn't or I'm not able to take him with me, then I'm not going to go...that's just unfair in the whole scheme of things. I imagine I wouldn't be the only person with this train of thought. Daddy shouldn't be the only one who gets to go.

DCA Nature's Wonderland-esque D-ticket?! Awesome!!! Absolutely fantastic! I hope this gets approved...that would be a perfect addition. DCA certainly needs more kinetic energy, and it would make the place feel a little more...Disneylandish. I didn't want to use that word, but I don't know how else to say it.

I'm excited about Pirate's Lair. I know a lot of people are still attatched to old Tom and Huck, but there's a generation gap now...and the Island needs to be entertaining for all ages, especially for kids. It's tough when lawyers come in and scrapo all interactivity, and it sounds like the Imagineers have some wonderful things up their sleeves. And I honestly think that the Island's new upgrades will make families be playing together, which was what Walt's vision was from the beginning for his park.

Ed, it's time to come out!

Those pictures of the Mark Twain are very disheartening, but I was surprised to see that Al didn't mention anything about the state of the show scenes along the bank as well...they need just as much TLC as the grand riverboat does. Hope these get attention from the upper ranks, as they tend to monitor what happens around here.

I'm excited about Midway Mania, even though I think the parks in Anahiem have had enough of Toy Story. Can't wait to see Mr. Potato Head.

Great update, Al!

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    And I honestly think that the Island's new upgrades will make families be playing together, which was what Walt's vision was from the beginning for his park.
    I'm totally with you on this one. If I had any executive/creative control over developments at the disney parks, I'd make this priority #1. It seems to me that Disney is at its finest when providing this kind of entertainment. I feel the same way about movies, which is one of the reasons why I like Pixar's output so much. Making a movie/ride available for kids doesn't mean it should be boring for adults, and if you can keep the family together then you're accomplishing one of the reasons DL was created in the first place.

If you polled most MiceChatters about what got them excited about DL (or the other parks) in the first place, I'd bet more would say things like POTC or HM than Space Mountain or Mission:Space or one of the other thrill rides.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    ...One idea rumored floated for Pirates Lair is a ground side cave entrance on NOS, that goes underneath the Rivers of america and exits on the island, however, this would prove costly to build. Most easily accomplished would the creation of new landing port on Tom Sawyer's Island for more rafts, and a greater dock capacity on NOS side,...
    the tunnel was slated to be for cast members only as a quick way to get back and forth without clogging up the guest rafts. If you look at the island from NOS you can actually see a second 'dock' area that is being used to ferry execs and workers to and from the island. It's farther 'upriver' from the usual dock.

• a wind to shake the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I'm really warming up to the whole Pirate Island thing. I know that it won't be very impressive when it opens this summer (there simply isn't time). But when they finish the final stages of the project over the next few years, there is every reason to believe that it will be a successful and crowd-pleasing update to this oft neglected section of the park.

I agree with this! I mean, I'm all for keeping classic attractions around, but I haven't been to Tom Sawyer's Island in years. It would be nice to have a reason to head over there.

Great update, Al. I'm really excited about the 15-minute sub length... I don't remember much of the original ride since I was only a kid when it closed, but a 15-minute dark ride (of sorts) is going to be a great addition to the parks. The lines will be a bummer... I guess I'll hit that one first!

• Ignore the meager number

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Great update, Al.
    It seems that Disneyland is dealing with a two-faced system right now. On the one hand, you have John Lasseter who's making WDI and MiceAge very happy people by finally paying attention to them, but on the other hand, you have Ed Grier who is forming a disconnect with the actual casts of Disneyland and California Adventure.
    It's an interesting dynamic to notice, and perhaps, with turnover rates being what they are, it's important to get WDI on their side in order to ensure a strong legacy in the future.

And a little nitpick: permenacer sentado(s), por favor.
    Gracias, this was bugging me too.

I so look forward to these updates. I am so excited about DCA and about the new attractions at DL. I can only imagine going to the park in 3 years and being truly wowed.
    Yo ho!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast