Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

2/20: Bait & Switch-backs

Nemo: The Line, Peter Pan's Jet Blues, Pirates Inc., Executive Autopia, Midway Mania, Ed Grier - Tiara Hunter, More... Discuss the update here, while Disneyland continues to look for Ed Grier.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 2/20: Bait & Switch-backs

GREAT update Al!

I was just wondering where you had been lately.

While people like (name removed by Moderator) insult his readers and then complain because of the hate email, you give us regular, wonderful updates with intriguing little nuggets about a proposed second Pirates trilogy and a new D ticket train ride around the(oddly placed)wolf mountain.

To top it off, you're as funny as hell. Oh and I have ALWAYS loved your snide little comments embedded in the photos.

Keep up the GREAT work mate!!!
    Last edited by IndianaJenn; 02-20-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Moderator Note: Deleted individual's name.

Blog Entries

As a right coaster I'm finding myself increasingly troubled by these updates. First, Jay Rasulo is going to tear the quality of the company apart if he doesn't find his way out of favor soon. But secondly, I'm more and more concerned with the level of detail that Disneyland and DCA are receiving from people like Lassetter (although I think they should be receiving that attention) while at the same time not really caring that WDW even exists.

While I think Rasulo's plan to globalize the parks is only going to neuter the special qualities they have, I do believe that those in high places need to not only focus on their pet projects but to realize that the other parks are important as well. While we get Nemo Lite, the uninspiring Monsters Inc, and a shoehorned Midway Mania Lassetter is doubling budgets for attractions on his side.

One of these days I'll be able to afford to visit Disneyland and see how the park should be run, but I shouldn't have to. I should be able to find that kind of quality right here in Orlando.

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

Red Face Re: 2/20: Bait & Switch-backs

SORRY KCNOEL, I MUST DISAGREE WITH YOU HERE

DISNEYLAND IS THE PRIORITY RIGHT NOW, NOT WDW.
    HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE DL HAS SEEN A NEW E-TICKET? I CAN TELL YOU THAT WDW HAS SEEN ITS FAIR SHARE OF AMAZING NEW ATTRACTIONS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS.
    TEST TRACK
    EXPEDITION EVEREST
    MISSION SPACE

TDA IS COMPLETELY FORGETTING ABOUT THOSE CLASSIC ATTRACTIONS THAT HAVENT SEEN A LEGITIMATE UPGRADE IN YEARS.
    STAR TOURS
    PETER PAN

YES WE HAVE DCA...BUT JUST REMEMBER...ITS DCA. ITS WAS BETTER OFF A PARKING LOT!

GREAT UPDATE AL, YOUR POSTS ARE ALWAYS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY...EVERY OTHER WEEK?
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• A Disney fan since 1967!

Cool Re: 2/20: Bait & Switch-backs

I read Miceage everyday and I'm glad to see these kind of articles. I love Disney and it's theme parks more than anyone I know, but unlike some, I feel that pointing out what's wrong with the parks is important also. Disney theme parks are special and have a spot in people's hearts for a reason. I couldn't believe the condition of the Mark Twain and I hope those pictures are seen by the upper management. There's no excuse for that decay and neglect. Disneyland and it's guests deserve better, after all it is a true American classic and that park means a lot to us fans of Walt Disney and his creations. Keep up the good work Miceage and I really do think you might be making a difference. Sometimes change only comes when a bright enough spotlight is shown on the problems. Now, if we can only convince the corporate suits at WDW to bring back the Sub ride at WDW, but that battle is for another day.
    The thing I love most about Walt Disney is that he made the world a better place by just being in it. Can you imagine the world today if Walt had never been born?

• We're number one!

Quote Originally Posted by blondiethesounds View Post
    SORRY KCNOEL, I MUST DISAGREE WITH YOU HERE

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE DL HAS SEEN A NEW E-TICKET? I CAN TELL YOU THAT WDW HAS SEEN ITS FAIR SHARE OF AMAZING NEW ATTRACTIONS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS.
    TEST TRACK
    EXPEDITION EVEREST
    MISSION SPACE

TDA IS COMPLETELY FORGETTING ABOUT THOSE CLASSIC ATTRACTIONS THAT HAVENT SEEN A LEGITIMATE UPGRADE IN YEARS.
    STAR TOURS
    PETER PAN

YES WE HAVE DCA...BUT JUST REMEMBER...ITS DCA. ITS WAS BETTER OFF A PARKING LOT!

GREAT UPDATE AL, YOUR POSTS ARE ALWAYS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY...EVERY OTHER WEEK?
    Ok. The cap locks button is not always your friend. Typing like that makes it seem like you're screaming at everyone.

I know where kcnole is coming from. I like to see Disneyland getting as much TLC as anyone else, but it's sad that it seems like WDW is being ignored when it's just as important. I just wish they could get equal love.

Blog Entries

TEST TRACK
    EXPEDITION EVEREST
    MISSION SPACE
    I don't disagree that Disneyland was the priority. The shape it was in after Pressler/Harris was ridiculous but at this point that property is miles ahead of what we have in Orlando. Just listen to what Al says about us? I have no problem with the subs coming to Anaheim although I desperately miss the subs here. My problem is that Disneyland is Lasseter's pet project and he doesn't seem to care about the other parks at all. WDW needs someone with his influence who loves our park as much. Maybe we need to let Joe Rhode out of the box over here.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'd like to think that Lasseter is using his limited personal resources (only 24 hours in a day!) to get both animation and DL, his obvious loves, up to speed. Then I'm hoping he'll stretch out and take in the other parks. It does no one any good if he gets spread too thin and thus loses his effectiveness.

• FastPass n00b

With the new Wonderful World of Color and the Grizzly Peaks Railroad coming down the pike, I think DCA has a huge chance of becoming a creative success. Disneyland started out quite humbly itself and it's only been in the last 25 years that it's truly become what it has become. I am hoping that DCA, with the long-term vision of John Lasseter, can really live up to its potential.

I mean after all, DCA is already a great park. I love walking around it and taking in the atmosphere around most of its places. It just needs some major additions and theming, but I think it has the potential to become a worthy neighbor to Disneyland as long as Robert Iger and John Lasseter dump as much money as they've been talking about into it.

• Banned User

test track and mission space suck and quality is severly declinging out in orlando. WDW needs help badly.

I'm curious - I see a lot of phrases like...

"...would wipe out the Walt Disney bequeathed literary backstory completely..."

Is this a bad thing? Don't get me wrong; I read Twain's books when I was a kid and I think Tom Sawyer island is neat. That said, I never bother going. And I'm not trying to guess "WWWDD" (What Would Walt Disney Do) because I don't think anyone can really guess what the man would do these days.

But I *would* try and guess what Walt might do if he were building Disneyland from scratch right now in 2007. Would he include a Tom Sawyer island? I dunno. Twain's tales aren't as relavent to today's kids and families as they were in the 1950s and 1960s. If Walt was building a park and had a successful pirate-themed film franchise, might he not build a "Pirate Island" adventure area?

I'm not sure Al was even suggesting that the elimination of the Twain theme from the island was a bad thing, but it seemed implied. While I might miss Tom Sawyer island, I also try to remember that Disneyland, in Walt's words, was never supposed to be complete. It was always supposed to be changing.

Then, too, there's the original mission of Disneyland:

"Here age relives fond memories of the past and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future."

Well, okay - is Tom Sawyer helping me relieve fond memories of the past? Savor the challenge and promise of the future? Not so much. I do that Tom Sawyer island - the attraction - evokes its own nostalgia and fond memories. But is that a trap? Does a self-referential Disneyland - that is, a Disneyland whose "fond memories of the past" come mainly from Disneyland's own past - really achieve the goal?

I'm glad to see the Submarine Voyage being redone with a relavent, popular theme. I'm delighted to see Buzz in Tomorrowland. I think it's neat to see the excellent Sparrow animatronics added to Pirates. And I'm glad the somewhat creaky Tom Sawyer island is getting a refresh that'll be relavent and exciting for kids today, and let today's adults relive some fond memories (I remember playing "pirates" as a kid more than playing "Huck Finn").

I'd love to see more "classic" Disneyland attractions redone or replaced to more fit their original mission. "Jungle Cruise," for example, doesn't evoke much in the way of fond memories (except for the attraction itself) or adventure; WDW's Killamanjaro Safari does a better job of evoking the "True Life Adventure" that I think Walt originally had in mind for "Jungle Cruise."

Anyway... back to the point, which was Al's implication (to my eyes, at least) that "wiping out" the Twain-inspired theming from Tom Sawyer island is a bad thing. Is it? I've outlined some of the reasons why I think it's not, and I realize this is to a degree just a rehash of the "Disneyland is not a museum" argument (an argument I seem to find made primarily by folks who think it is a museum), but I'm curious. Do others think that Disneyland has value as a self-referential nostalgia park, or do you think that these themes still resonate with families today, or do you think they've had a great run and now it's time to give way to something else?

• Rock Star Minion

Re Nemo's AP preview problem: Um, couldn't that be solved with 25,000 "Year of a Million Dreams" giveaways? The AP database probably has number of APs at each address. Too bad if someone gets one and the friend down the street doesn't. It will be open for another 35 years or so.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic update Mr. Al. Sounds like glowing praise from you on the Nemo subs. I was also encouraged to hear you say that the new Midway Mania will be worth the wait, since many on the boards aren't very excited about it yet.

It seems like the bulk of the news on the new attractions and retheming of DCA has been very positive. Thank you for sharing it with us!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

I just want to thank you, Al, for using the term that was used when I was there: Disneylander, and not Resorter.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• e komo mai

Great update, Al!

It's interesting that while money is thrown at Escalade-driving execs at Disney, that frontline Cast Members barely get enough money and perks to stay with the Mouse. Yes, corporate bonuses exist everywhere, but when your company is having problems retaining entry-level employees there should be a focus on that issue.

Not only this, but it seems that Disney is becoming increasingly bad at foreseeing anything. Yes, ten million dollars is a lot to speed up the flow of the Nemo queue, but it was something that definitely could have paid-off in the long run. There's nothing magic about thinking ahead, it's common sense. An example of this is the nearsightedness of DCA, it's costing them far more to fix it than it would to just spend a smaller wad of cash up front.

And now that Disneyland has an invisible president, the out-of-touch nature of the higher-ups continues. This leads to more bad decisions which will lead to more money in the future for fixes.

Lasseter is someone who has a good eye for his work. Why? The guy was a frontline Cast Member who loved(s) Disneyland. He has had face-to-face experience that helps mold his thinking about what the guests will like now and twenty years from now and he knows firsthand what dealing with guests is like. All Disney execs should have to work an ODV cart during their orientation process or even drive their Escalades into the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure once in a while and experience the 45 minute wait to get to the parking attendant toll booth on a busy weekend.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast