Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/19: In Search of a Laugh

Walt Disney World's newest attraction isn't all it's cracked up to be. Warning: Lots of spoilers! Discuss the new Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor show here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• FastPass n00b

Re: 3/19: In Search of a Laugh

It's Pixar so they really can't do much with it. A few inside jokes here, a reference to the film there...there's really not many places they can go with a theme like that. It's predictable because people already know the characters, type of comedy and storyline of the attraction. The theming and immersion seems excellent though. It's just too bad they didn't decide to go with an original theme with original characters. I believe Kevin's previous article about the brain being interested in *new* and surprising stuff can explain why Pixar rides are usually stale before their time. I'm sure the new Nemo ride at Disneyland will blow people away at first, but I predict than in less than 10 years it will be forgotten as the film fades away.

Hello Kevin,

I too saw the show on St. Patty's Day this weekend with my family. My twin four year old boys were indeed more impressed with the Stitch Attraction and wanted to go on it again vs. Monsters Inc. (Of course they were also impressed with the TTA) Anyways the show I saw was just about the same as yours except ...spoilers ahead...

the monster with the two heads was named Mac and Cheese and the shorter of the two heads was a male monster.

The purple boil Monster did his number guessing game but the woman in the audience did the 40 number. The monster looked confused and said, "Okay we'll call that a test run.." Her embarrased look on the huge monitor elicited more laughter than the joke. "That guy" in my audience looked like he was about to come out the screen and kill someone."

...spoiler ends...

I agree the attraction isn't really too funny to either the very young or adult. But children in the second to sixth grade may find it enjoyable.

I really like the potential in this attraction that you do not have with static attractions such as Stitch or Timekeeper. They can always change the show. They can take steps to easily improve improve it by changing out the monsters, hire better writers, phone in the real actors to change out the prescripts. There is a thousand possibilities they can do with this show. Whether or not they do these things remains to be seen.

As a armchair imagineer I see this like a Star Tours attraction which has a movie that is rendered by computer in real time so that the route can be changed every time so that guests get a different experience.

I hope they continue to work and improve this attraction.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Kevin.. your play-by-play was virtually identical to mine... so obviously the variation in the jokes/script is very minimal right now. That really has to change to have any chance of brining anyone back.

I too had the same feeling about the ending.. it was just 'poof' ok , we're done, leave now. They barely referenced the laugh tank.. which of course is part of the foundation of the show's backstory!

I don't think MikeW is 'recorded'. He seemed interactive to me (he was also part of the show that had real issues in my preview).

I think the show would be more fun for the youngins if they would bring some 'conflict' or suspense interaction. What if someone were trying to interfere with the comedy club? Or something.. think Dora the Explorer.. simple swiper interaction keeps the younger kids jumping to respond. Mix that kind of back and forth with real interaction.. and you could have something great. It could at least introduce some physical gags to it.

With almost zero variation in the show's lines.. I think its going to fall off quickly.

One other interesting note.. in your queue photos they had ropes up in the second queue area. Earlier you were free to move around everywhere. Did you see the door all the way at the back, with the MikeW sized peep-hole and handle?

A comment on the banners in the first queue.. yes.. the banners are supposed to look cheap (Monsters don't appear to have very good writing/drawing skills) but the rest of the queue shouldn't look cheap! It was very skimmed over (as even you highlight all the left overs)

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    It's Pixar so they really can't do much with it. A few inside jokes here, a reference to the film there...there's really not many places they can go with a theme like that. It's predictable because people already know the characters, type of comedy and storyline of the attraction. The theming and immersion seems excellent though. It's just too bad they didn't decide to go with an original theme with original characters. I believe Kevin's previous article about the brain being interested in *new* and surprising stuff can explain why Pixar rides are usually stale before their time. I'm sure the new Nemo ride at Disneyland will blow people away at first, but I predict than in less than 10 years it will be forgotten as the film fades away.
    People already know the storylines for Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland, and those rides stray very little from the plot of the source film, yet that doesn't stop them from having long lines. If you're picking on attractions based on a film (by this I don't mean attractions that involve the audience watching a screen, but that take their characters from a movie), don't just single out Pixar. Sure, DCA's Monsters attraction isn't really all that great either, but Tokyo's promises to be something really special. The source material has little to do with the potential greatness of the attraction itself.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I concur with all you've said about hte queue...it is fantastic...
    ...but I'll disagree on the show. I found it fun, and I do want to see it again!

• Rock Star Minion

Seems the same technology as Turtle Talk with Crush in DCA. I found that to be pretty enjoyable, possibly because it's about 80% interactive.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The one, the only...

I wonder if Monsters will attract fewer people than Timekeeper. People tend to like an attraction more at the beginning, than a few years after. I expect that this will lose its drawing power after 6 months elapse.

Monster Inc actually could have been a really great opportunity to see animatronic Monsters do their thing in their world. That would have been fun. But since this attraction was done on the cheap, the fun of seeing two headed monsters is left to television. Just what you can do at home.

When Country Bears first opened at Disneyland, that show really did produce laughs, but as time when on, the "sameness" of the show killed it. It is amazing in this computer age when a random sequence can be created so easily that Disney is not mixing up their performances.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Banned User

this attraction seems to not have middle ground. it has hits or misses...

perhaps they could do what my mom told me...

do Bad Jokes on purpose of course i will see it next week.. and have my judgment

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Looks and sounds even more unrepeatable and on-the-cheap than the Anaheim Monsters Inc attraction.

Yawn.

Turtle Talk with Crush worked because Crush's screen was a portal to the Ocean... Obviously, he couldn't come through that glass-covered portal cause the room would fill with water and Crush and the audience would get hurt. Works perfectly.

I don't see the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor working simply because these Monsters should be able to move about the realm that we've entered- we're in their territory... nothing should be seperating them from us, and as is seems, they just appear to be animated characters on a screen, no matter how big the screen is or how disguised the edges of that screen are. Mike Wazowski just hanging out within the confines of a door portal? Sounds unconvincing.

You are in Monstropolis - you are in Monsters Inc headquarters... but the characters aren't three demensional - they're just on a screen talking to you. Why is there not a Roz animatronic who comes out on a balcony dishing out her lines? They could easily have Roz come out... and then turn around and leave from the setting ... Disney animatronic technology isn't still set in the 1960s - things have advanced...

Projecting these types of characters just doesn't seem like a convincing thing... The door in the Anaheim Monsters Inc ride that is projected is cute passingly as you ride through the show, but its never been convincing for me - it's obvious that the door is a huge screen - there's nothing real or cinvincing about the animation of the Door opening toward the Monster and the Monster being right there... And when I think of the new attraction at the Magic Kingdom I just imagine it being a 15 minute show like that - it would be cute passingly on a ride vehicle - but not something that I could find immersive or interesting for very long.

And aside from weak Imagineering - talk about terrible attraction placement. I don't understand all of this hard-fitting attractions business. It's bad show. If an idea for an attraction has no place in a park, then shelve it and start over. The lands are themed for a reason ... and attractions shouldn't be shoved in just because Disney wants an on-the-cheap film-based attraction thrown in to sell more plush and t-shirts.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Turtle Talk with Crush worked because Crush's screen was a portal to the Ocean...
    ..and in WDW.. the show is IN an aquarium. The 'stage' is setup very much like (at least in the old theatre) just like the other viewing windows into the tanks.

It make sense to visit Crush there.

• ...TWO BITS!

I don't think Pixar studios actually had anything to do with this attraction and its animation... like It's Tough to be a Bug. Or am I wrong??

Funny flynnibus mentioned adding a conflict. Yet there was a thread eariler complaining about attraction's story having "something terribly goes wrong"

I do like the door with light and keypad and canister props .
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 03-19-2007 at 11:46 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Vehicle rotating backward

Well, I still prefer WDW's TL over the others, although the parts that I like best are what remains unchanged from 1994.

"Good enough" is unfortunate, but also means that they probably managed to perform some sort of miracle savior job on this one. Because the original word was far from "good enough" but more like "ew yuck oh for the love of god shut it down."

Monsters would have been better across the street as an AE replacement. Better than Stitch, anyhow.

Interesting article and discussion. I have not been in Monsters yet (but I am interested, it is my favorite Pixar film for some reason).

My question relates to the Crush attraction in Epcot vs Monsters. I have seent he Crush one about 4 times, and I loved it each time. They did repeat SOME elements of course, but it seemed to vary much more than the Monsters one seems to. Crush does sound more interactive, and seems to work well because they switch between adults and kids with the interaction? Perhaps they CM working the animation is more skilled, or has a greater variety of sentences to work with?

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
    My question relates to the Crush attraction in Epcot vs Monsters. I have seent he Crush one about 4 times, and I loved it each time. They did repeat SOME elements of course, but it seemed to vary much more than the Monsters one seems to. Crush does sound more interactive, and seems to work well because they switch between adults and kids with the interaction? Perhaps they CM working the animation is more skilled, or has a greater variety of sentences to work with?
    Early discussions were that with Crush, it's less capacity and thus more intimate with Crush. The microphone can get around pretty easily. It's more one-on-one and interactive with the smaller audience. Monsters tries a higher capacity. Now they need cell phone texts, making the audience interaction a little less interactive. The characters make references to a larger crowd than Crush.

So really, less is more

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast