Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 3/27: Super-Mega-Colossal!

I still maintain the new park will be a water park for a while at least.

thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Again, maybe it was because October was my first ever visit to WDW and that I was so overwhelmed by the SIZE of everything, I didn't see that much stuff that needed repairing (aside from Haunted Mansion).

It will be interesting to see if we start noticing stuff when we go back in May.
    Don't...
    ... Don't..

Don't believe the hype!

Reports of the death of WDW have been greatly exaggerated.

The only thing I picked up on my second trip in under a year was all the paint crews and lack of trash I *DID* see.

• "714"

great update! Cant wait for those castle effects! rad!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• ...or just Tonny

What is this about Tony Baxter's "plans to create hyper-themed and long-playing" attractions. I've never heard about these. What should I think of this - PotC-style rides, or what? Are there any known concepts?
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    What is this about Tony Baxter's "plans to create hyper-themed and long-playing" attractions. I've never heard about these. What should I think of this - PotC-style rides, or what? Are there any known concepts?
    Al actually spoke about this years ago when the idea for the boutique park first came up (in the days before 9/11 ruined the travel industry). Then all talk on a new park went dark until now. The idea is that rather than building high capacity rides which last for just a short period of time (as they do now), they would create small capacity attractions which might combine a number of elements including personal interaction and a complete story telling experience. When you build a park that only admits 5,000 people per day, you don't need to build as many attractions and they can last much longer and have a MUCH lower capacity. As wonderful as that may sound on paper, think about the risk. What if people don't like a certain attraction that cost millions to build and which lasts for 40 minutes? The guest is stuck and so is the park. Better to hate a Superstar Limo which is only one of dozens of attractions than to hate a Super-Mega-Attraction which is only one of a small number of offerings.

They can build super exclusive hotels and restaurants all they want, but should make the parks enjoyable for all. Enough with the class-ism. WDI forgets that Walt fought hard to keep Disneyland affordable so that all could come and enjoy.

I'm holding out for a full fledged park of the Tokyo Disney Sea scale, budget, and attention to detail. Anything less will fail to impress.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Again, maybe it was because October was my first ever visit to WDW and that I was so overwhelmed by the SIZE of everything, I didn't see that much stuff that needed repairing (aside from Haunted Mansion).

It will be interesting to see if we start noticing stuff when we go back in May.
    WDW is a great place and it is by no means being horribly treated, but I am in each park many times a week and notice a lot of the stuff that I feel should be painted or fixed. I would like for John Lasseter to come to Florida and spend some time in each Theme Park and sit with the management here and tell them what he feels should be done. I also want the rides to get extensive rehabs like in Disneyland. Like I said before Space Mountain really needs attention and I believe it should be closed for possibly a year if necessary.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The idea is that rather than building high capacity rides which last for just a short period of time (as they do now), they would create small capacity attractions which might combine a number of elements including personal interaction and a complete story telling experience. When you build a park that only admits 5,000 people per day, you don't need to build as many attractions and they can last much longer and have a MUCH lower capacity.
    DisneyQuest anyone? See the similarities?

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Hello, Tony's "hyper themed and long playing" attraction concept is - if remember it well - a great idea. We all feel that "when it's good, it's always too short" whether it's a 2 minutes Peter Pan dark ride, a 4 and a half min Indiana Jones adventure or a 10 minutes POTC flume ride . So, more than doing only a 5 minute ride of indiana jones, for instance, the idea would be to have a whole "indiana jones" experience , going from one IJ attraction to another , or a IJ show , etc...so instead it last 5 minutes , it will last one hour or more ( i took indiana jones just as an example, but it could be anything, think about a big star wars experience, for instance ). That's what i remember, hope i'm right. If not, please forgive me, Tony!

• Senior Minion

I thought Pressler was gone? The Boutique store plain and simple sucks. What a waste of land.
    I like the new changes to Grizzly River. It will be a new experience every time. I didn't realize that ride was supposed to be for the young and extreme. comical.

I too want a park that has some attention to detail and leaves me wanting to go back for more.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

Great work, Al.

• Basking in birthday love

You know, the subs wouldn't be having staffing issues if landlock weren't in place. I would join the subs opening crew in a heartbeat if it didn't mean losing knowledge on all my Adventureland attractions, as I've told my friends over there who've asked me to apply. There's just nothing else in Tomorrowland that even remotely interests me, especially since I've seen nearly everyone who went over for subs get trained on Autopia, which is eternally understaffed because it is the seventh circle of hell. While I would absolutely love to open an attraction as an RO and this is probably the only chance I'd get, it's not worth transferring for.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by loaloa View Post
    Hello, Tony's "hyper themed and long playing" attraction concept is - if remember it well - a great idea. We all feel that "when it's good, it's always too short" whether it's a 2 minutes Peter Pan dark ride, a 4 and a half min Indiana Jones adventure or a 10 minutes POTC flume ride . So, more than doing only a 5 minute ride of indiana jones, for instance, the idea would be to have a whole "indiana jones" experience , going from one IJ attraction to another , or a IJ show , etc...so instead it last 5 minutes , it will last one hour or more ( i took indiana jones just as an example, but it could be anything, think about a big star wars experience, for instance ). That's what i remember, hope i'm right. If not, please forgive me, Tony!
    Sounds more like a Marc Davis project (WRE). But don't wake him from his eternal slumber and tell him.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: 3/27: Super-Mega-Colossal!

Yet again, another fabulous update! Thanks for sharing.

Regardsarama,

Jon
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• California Golden Bear

And we're thinking of putting a boat ride in Paradise Bay why?
    Why would anyone want to float around in that puddle? Unlike DL's RoA where the Twain, Columbia and cannoes provide a view of area's that are not otherwise visable, such as the indian village, a boat trip around PB would have nothing new to offer, unless some real changes are made. As it stands right now a trip around PB would rate somewhere below the Motorboat Cruise and just above the Phantom Boats, probably at the same level as WDW MK's Swan Boats.
    "Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life... I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom."
    -Walt Disney, March 1, 1941

“Whatever success I have had in bringing clean, informative entertainment to people of all ages, I attribute in great part to my Congregational upbringing and my lifelong habit of prayer. To me, today, at age sixty-one, all prayer, by the humble or highly placed, has one thing in common: supplication for strength and inspiration to carry on the best human impulses which should bind us together for a better world. Without such inspiration, we would rapidly deteriorate and finally perish. But in our troubled time, the right of men to think and worship as their conscience dictates is being sorely pressed. We can retain these privileges only by being constantly on guard and fighting off any encroachment on these precepts. To retreat from any of the principles handed down by our forefathers, who shed their blood for the ideals we still embrace, would be a complete victory for those who would destroy liberty and justice for the individual.”
    Walt Disney, Deeds Rather Than Words

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I presume it will be low capacity, but I think you will get the same type of turnout as the Main Street vehicles.

But it will add motion to the lake, something that is lacking throughout the park.

So most of us will have to thank those who use the boats (similar to those who ride the Canoes).

But then, I might find it to be a good place to get some unique angles for photos...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast