Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Minion

Re: 3/27: Super-Mega-Colossal!

I have no problem with the idea of a boutique park. An East Coaster, I can't go to CA all the time, and when I do go, I don't expect to save money ! Keep in mind that the rides from such a park would eventually make their way to the other parks. This way everyone could still have rides of (hopefully) a quality that would otherwise not be possible.

• Make it Cool

I think the assumption that entire rides or experiences from the "boutique" park would turn up in other parks is a little misguided. I think the more likely scenario would be that TECHNOLOGY devoloped for the "boutique" park would turn up in other parks, much in the same way that the ride system developed for "Journey to the Center of the Earth" was implemented for the "Rocket Rods."

I'd like to think that any whole attraction created for the "boutique" park would be so large, expensive and site/park specific that it simply would not be possible or appropriate to be "clicked and dragged" into another park.

• I am number 4 of 999

I wasn't looking forward to page six because I didn't want it to end!!

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    DisneyQuest anyone? See the similarities?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought! lol

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Can we go without basing WDW in every article? Gees
    NO! Of course not! What are you thinking?! lol

YESS! A new column is up to read. I shall express my gratitude first ... NOW I'll read it.

• FastPass n00b

A boutique park...I never thought I'd see the day when Disney is only for the select few and not for everyone.

Walt would be pissed.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    Walt would be pissed.
    Walt treated everyone who could come into the park as equally as he could but that doesn't mean everyone could come into the park. That also doesn't mean there weren't VIPs.

This park concept isn't too much different from the '64 world's fair, except it's not being paid for by outside forces from corporate America. It sounds essentially like a rolling exhibition of attractions. It may not be a good idea, but it's certainly worth pondering since Disneyland has reached that point where you can't stick a shovel into the dirt without a fanbase hollering that Walt once tread on that ground.

Everyone is assuming that a boutique park woul have large elaboarte attractions. If they are planning on building something like this and keeping attendance at a minimum of 5,000- to lets say 10,000 guest a day that would mean that any attraction built would only be something with very little per hour capacity. Why build an elaborate flume ride capable of feeding 1,000 to 2,000 people per hour when everyone in the park would be able to ride it within 5hours max. Now spread the 10,000 people thruout he park and you have attractions mostly sitting empty most of the day.

Then what do you have short operating hours and have the park closed ofr the majority of the day?

Actually whatthey should consider is building a third gate that has top of th eline theming and attractions. Have its gates close four to five hours earlier than the other two gates and then just allow exclusive attedance for the rest of the night.

Or maybe have exclusive days of the week where attendance is cut down to the minimum and the pricing structure increases. If you want to experience the park with minimal crowds then people would be allowed to by a premium ticket for that day or two of the week.

I am sure That rasulo see the success that Sea world has had with its exclusive discovery bay park. There is a big diference with that and a typical theme park for the rich. Sea worlds park is filled with animal based attractions that give people to come close to real life creatures. Each experience does not just last a couple minutes they last hours and keep the low attendance number of guest occupied for a large amount of time.

These boutique theme parks he envisions are just highly elaborate hotel and entertainment venues filled with attractions like Alladin and movie based projects.

Just recently it was said that a boutique theme park involving mostly indor theme park and hotel would be the kind of project that could be built in several areas of Asia and have attractions basd on Anne hamrbuger experiences.
    Anne is in the entertainmen side of the company. She is involved in attractions like the Nemo musical, snow white musical and Alladin musical. Its almost like he envisions theme park sthat could be starting point for broadway productions as well as attractions that could bemaintained in small sections of land.

Its just an elaborate re-creation of the failed projects he envisions before.
    Last edited by Baloo; 03-27-2007 at 10:40 PM.

• Make it Cool

Just as an example:

Imagine a Pirates of the Caribbean experience where you board a rowboat (an elaborate simulator) row out to the Black Pearl, mingle with the ship's crew, weather a storm, (an even larger, more elaborate simulator - think giant 'star tours' vehicle on a giant stage with weather effects) and arrive at Tortuga where you eat, drink and make merry, followed by a walking tour of a pirate's cave during a swordfight/firefight, culminating in an exciting getaway on the Black Pearl, during a cannon fight with a pursuing ship, depositing you at the port of entry.

THAT'S what we're talking about here. HOURS-long hyper-themed entertainment. And that's all entirely possible - just really, REALLY expensive.

• insufferable know-it-all

Sooo... like the Star Trek attraction at the Las Vegas Hilton?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Sooo... like the Star Trek attraction at the Las Vegas Hilton?

EXACTLY... but 10 years later, and a whole park of that level of entertainment, if not greater.

• Merry 2014!

Wunnerful, wunnerful article Al, as usual.

Great thread everone; lots of viewpoints to consider. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    EXACTLY... but 10 years later, and a whole park of that level of entertainment, if not greater.
    That would be worth it for me.

• In Technicolor!

Unlike the stale Walt Disney World and its totalitarian company control over where it does business however, Disneyland sits in the middle of the real city of Anaheim and its elected officials who have real life problems to contend with, such as the issue of providing affordable housing for their voters. So the drama we're now all an audience to is what happens when the real world gets in the way of Rasulo's plans to max out the untapped earning potential of the Anaheim property.
    Sounds like you enjoy watching the local soap opera. That totalitarian company control was exactly what Walt envisioned for his new World. "Sitting in the real city of Anaheim" ended up constraining Disneyland's ability to expand. Walt's foresight for the Florida resort resulted in massive tracts of undeveloped 'visual perimeter' land, and the Reedy Creek Improvement District to control their destiny.
    These are the games that never end.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast