Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: 4/17: Will It Go Round in Circles, Part I

Just love that phrase of Walt's, Steve..."dreams offer too little collateral." It is evident that the locomotives played a major roll in selling Walt's vision for the park to it's initial investers.

Very much enjoyed your historical account of the Disneyland trains. How many trains fit inside the round house? Does the rh house the entire trains, or just the engines?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    How many trains fit inside the round house? Does the rh house the entire trains, or just the engines?
    Thanks, RW, but really, you're just going to have to be patient and wait for the rest of the article!

Oh, alright!

The DL roundhouse is very long, so long that its four tracks can easily hold four complete train sets (each train set comprises between five and eight cars), including the engines at the front. The fifth engine that DL has can also squeeze in, in front of an already-parked train.

• Still lost in Neverland

This is something that I have been waiting for, for years. Getting off the freeway at Harbor Blvd, the bus goes right by the Roundhouse. Sometimes I wonder if I am the only person on the bus who knows what's behind that canvas cover on the fence. I love Steam Trains! I got to operate one at the Train Museum over at Paris, Ca. and let me tell you, the raw feeling of power you get sitting up there and releasing all the energy and feeling the train start to move forward, it's amazing. I will have to look into your books now, and am certainly waiting for the rest of your fascinating article on Disneyland's Roundhouse. Man I would love to be there at 6am in the morning just to see, hear and feel that special noise that these living beasts make when they wake up each morning.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Ex Dept 915 CM

Thanks for the great article Steve. I truly enjoyed it. I worked on the trains for five years and I always looked forward to an opening shift. I didn't get many, I mainly had closing shifts. Thanks for bringing back those fond memories and showing us the old Round House. It was interesting seeing the old setup.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Thanks, RW, but really, you're just going to have to be patient and wait for the rest of the article!

Oh, alright!

The DL roundhouse is very long, so long that its four tracks can easily hold four complete train sets (each train set comprises between five and eight cars), including the engines at the front. The fifth engine that DL has can also squeeze in, in front of an already-parked train.
    The Roundhouse must be giganormous. I'll bet the engine sounds reverberate inside their captivating home. How incredible it must be to witness the audible drama unfold as they pull in and out.

Appreciate you not keeping me in suspense for an answer until Part 2 - you rascal.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-17-2007 at 04:06 PM.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

Hey, I just noticed that I have 99 posts. So this will be 100!! I can' wait for the second half of your article. You really got my memory banks going. I remember when I was first offered a job at Disneyland. I was offered Cash Control and Parking Lot. Neither one of those sounded very interesting or exciting until the casting person mentioned that the Steam Trains were part of the Parking Lot Department 915. I was so excited. I would actually get to work on the Disneyland Railroad! My dream would have to wait though. I soon found out that the trains were down because they were building a trestle for the opening of Toontown. My trainer in the parking lot was nice enough to drive me back to the Roundhouse when I mentioned that I was a train nut. That was really interesting seeing the trains being worked on. They also still had at least one of the original yellow Pullmans in the back of the Roundhouse. Thanks again for the article. I really enjoy your writing.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Train Nut View Post
    Hey, I just noticed that I have 99 posts. So this will be 100!! I can' wait for the second half of your article. You really got my memory banks going.
    May your little choo choo stay on track for hundreds...thousands of posts to come, Train nut.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    May your little choo choo stay on track for hundreds...thousands of posts to come, Train nut.
    Thanks RW. I guess i'm a little behind you though...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Cousin, to answer your question about the status of the original roundhouse, yes, the structure still stands--it is used as a "cycle shop," which I once thought was where all the CM bikes were repaired, but in actuality, it's where ride vehicles are taken to be "cycled" through their maintenance. Embedded in the asphalt nearby, barely-visible, are the shiny railheads that used to be the lead tracks.
    Is this the original roundhouse? - Google Map link.

Great article. I plan to buy the books this year.

TVKirby

• Animatronic

I can't wait for the story to continue! Thanks Steve for the great read and amazing pictures.

• Infinitized!

Steve,

Nice article. Is there any truth to the rumour that Walt Disney came up to British Columbia in search of trains for Disneyland? The BC Forest Discovery Center's locomotives belonged to it's founder Gerry Wellburn. Before all the equipment was moved to the current location of the Forest Discovery Center, Gerry had the equipment and a small railroad setup at his place in Deerholme which is just south of Duncan on Vancouver island. this was sometime back in the 1950s. Supposedly Walt Disney came to Gerry's place for a visit. There's even a mention of Walt's visit on the BC Forest Discovery Center's website here:
    http://www.bcforestmuseum.com/centre_gerry.htm
    Walt's visit is mentioned in the section The Cowichan Valley Forest Museum on that page.

I went for a little railroad adventure myself this weekend, you can read about it here:
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61375

I think I may be able to solve the mystery of the way in which the Disneyland Railroad handled the addition of the third train.

It's my understanding that one of the three trains would be stored on the main line and in the tunnel between Frontierland and Fantasyland each night.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I think I may be able to solve the mystery of the way in which the Disneyland Railroad handled the addition of the third train.

It's my understanding that one of the three trains would be stored on the main line and in the tunnel between Frontierland and Fantasyland each night.
    Prag, you're getting ahead of the story!

(Hint: With three trains, they added a third track. The fun starts when they added two more trainsets, bringing the total to five).

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Steve,

Nice article. Is there any truth to the rumour that Walt Disney came up to British Columbia in search of trains for Disneyland? The BC Forest Discovery Center's locomotives belonged to it's founder Gerry Wellburn.
    Hmmm... The website states,
    As a result of Gerry's advice, Disney added a live steam locomotive to the attractions of Disneyland.
    That statement does not comport with any official or un-official account I've ever heard or read. Disney had long been a rail fan, and had been running steam in his backyard apparently long before meeting Gerry. It was these experiences (along with adventures with Ward Kimball and his trains), that led Walt to want to feature trains at his park. To say the Disney trains "resulted" from Gerry's advice is, I think, a historical falacy.

As for Disney visiting in seach of trains, it's certainly possible. Walt did spend time looking at typical amusement park and zoo trains, which were generally much smaller. I have not come across any accounts, however, of Walt looking for trains in BC. That's not to say he didn't. But to date, nothing to substantiate that has surfaced.

• It's all nonsense

I loved this article!

Maybe I'm confused Steve. But when the turntable is starting to be explained you state the difference between steam and diesel locomotives: "Steam locomotives differ from diesel engines in that they are designed to operate in one direction only--forward. Diesels, on the other hand, can operate efficiently in either direction, and frequently do.".
    Has the DLR always been diesel? And just a general train question, how do steam locomotives get backed into the roundhouse if they can't go backwards?

Sorry for the simple questions, but I'm a railroad newbie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast