• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/14: Ultimate Orlando Challenge #2

Challenge Number Two Takes Place on July 31st, 2005, Plus: Mailbag, More... Discuss It All Here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• FastPass n00b

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of John Hench's personal items being sold through eBay. One of the things they are selling is an award he received in 1996 and a personal invitation he received from Roy O. Disney. While it's true that most of the things they are selling are a part of Disney's history and shouldn't be locked away forever, I think they should have more respect for John than selling off his personal awards and letters.

I am honestly not sure what should be done with his personal belongings, but hawking them on eBay for the highest bidder just doesn't seem like it's the right thing to do. I'm not sure what would be the right thing, but what I am sure about is that there are many more ways to show your respect to such a great man than selling his personal achievements through an Internet auction.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of John Hench's personal items being sold through eBay.
    I think it is a good way to increase the value of all memorabilia (sp?) out there. The stuff was special, and will bring good money to the estate. I certainly can't blame them for trying to get a good price. I like the idea of anyone with the dough being able to share a piece of Dinsey history. As for the awrds and letters...Think of musems and exhibits you have seen in your life. There are almost always letters and personal effects incorporated into displays. I think most buyers would display them as well.

• Banned User

Darn IT!! Kevin!!! You are doing this *again* on a day I won't be in town!!!! ARGH!!!

• MiceAge Columnist

Email me, TDLFAN, and I promise I'll schedule the third one around YOUR availability!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Selling Hench's stuff, even if the money is going to his family which I doubt, just seems tacky and cold.

And most buyers won't display the items in a museum. They'll hawk them again on ebay or at Disneyana conventions.

I also don't think it will increase the value of all Disneyana. In my experience, I have one-of-a-kind unique items and they have little retail value because people would rather spend $150 for a 'LE' pin or a mass-produced Disney press guide or even items that one might obtain for free or small cost.

I once brought an Opening Day Disney-MGM Studios guidebook signed by Michael Eisner, Bob Hope and a few other celebs to a convention and had people offering me $10 for it (that was the high offer). But they'd give you $100 for a mass-produced two-year-old pin because it was a 'cast exclusive'. Crazy.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I have one-of-a-kind unique items and they have little retail value because people would rather spend $150 for a 'LE' pin or a mass-produced Disney press guide or even items that one might obtain for free or small cost.
    I am inclined to agree...but YOU DO have one of a kind items...that may have come to you via a very strange avenue, right?
    :confused:

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    But they'd give you $100 for a mass-produced two-year-old pin because it was a 'cast exclusive'. Crazy.
    That is screwed up! I had a cool lithograph of all four Disney Castles (think 1991) that was only available to CMs...only 2500 produced, called "the sun never sets on Disney"...Ended up giving it to a favorite aunt...e-bay wouldn;t bring $100....

^^^That's basically my whole point about ebay and the whole collectible market. Something comes out and its really hot, even though it isn't all that valuable or unique. But those special items don't bring a premium because there are few folks out there that appreciate them and are willing to wade through all the crap on ebay to find them.

Kinda like those folks paying $100 for Mickey as Darth Vader plush from Star Wars Weekends. Crazy. Especially considering in another month a huge supply will hit the outlet stores for half off or more.

Or now the comics market is at an all-time low. But by the end of the week, everything Batman might go through the roof (even if it isn't rare at all) just because they have a new hit movie.

The worst I ever saw was the Disney pin mania in the late 90s and into 2001-02. I remember a friend buying pins at outlet stores for 25 cents a piece and selling them for $25 on ebay. Nothing rare or special. Just regular old DL pins.