• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/19: Even More Pirates

Guest Columnist Alain Littaye shares the press release and concept art for Hong Kong Disneyland's "Pirate Takeover" event. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Senior Minion

Re: 4/19: Even More Pirates

Thanks for the information about this event, I'm sure it will be done with much better detail then the Disney theme parks in the U.S. It looks like a promising plan.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks AL

• Make it Cool

Wow, that's some really cheap and underwhelming concept art. Good enough for internal developement, but not for a press release.

• Earth Intruder

LOL I'm officially sick of Pirates.... and it hasn't even started yet!!!

Thanks Alain for the scoop. This stuff would have been cool like a year ago but now I want to see Pirates 3 less than reruns of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"...
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
    • Minion

Out of curiosity, I don't know if you could answer this, but I want to ask anyway...

Any reason why they decided not to focus on using Chinese Pirate symbols, as opposed to those involved in the atlantic? Is there a cultural thing going on?

Sao Feng (a character in POTC 3) is based on Cheung Po Tsai, who was a pirate based in Hong Kong. You can even visit his cave hideout. Apparently they bill it as a tourist attraction.
    Check out my other blog:

very interesting, looks like a larger budget than the Pirate and Princess Party but similar in nature. Not sure if the chinese are into collecting all the merchandise. Perhaps the outlets will soon be brimming with the stuff:

• Minion

Kind of seems like an over saturation of Pirates.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I love the notion that a company that is soooo obsessed with stopping China from the "piracy" of all of it's media and Intellectual property, would choose to celebrate that very subject, and teach it's audience how to perpetuate a romantic lifestyle based on stealing other people's assets. What does Disney want to teach it's audience? I hope the Chinese get the message that Piracy is ok as long as we are doing it to you. Hoisting our "cultural colors" on their young minds.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    I love the notion that a company that is soooo obsessed with stopping China from the "piracy" of all of it's media and Intellectual property, would choose to celebrate that very subject, and teach it's audience how to perpetuate a romantic lifestyle based on stealing other people's assets. What does Disney want to teach it's audience? I hope the Chinese get the message that Piracy is ok as long as we are doing it to you. Hoisting our "cultural colors" on their young minds.

Wow. Profound points there.

I love your new site. Are you going to have more Island Of Adventure artwork soon on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    I love your new site. Are you going to have more Island Of Adventure artwork soon on there?
    Thanks to like my new blog "disney and more" . About the IOA artwork, all the one that i had are on the site, but next week, in the article about the IOA model you will see more that were display on the walls of the model room , and, of course, there will be new art work about other parks or attractions. Almost each day there is new things, so thanks to come back regularly!

Thumbs up Re: 4/19: Even More Pirates

Just Curious....Is that ship the Duk-Ling? It looks a lot like the Tour ship that cruises Victoria Harbor out of Kowloon and Wan Chai. I like the Pirate concepts, they look great and I'm glad HKDL is getting some additions to Adventureland.
    "Just Keep Swimming, Swimming,Swimming, Just Keep Swimming......."

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    Dude....take a deep breath ....relax.....try to have a little fun and put the pious attacks on America away. The Chinese people are not so gullible as you seem to think. It's an amusement park. take it for what it is and look for your conspiracy theories somewhere else. Let me guess.... you graduated from Stanford right! I like the Pirates Theme stuff, Walt liked the Pirates, The Box Office says Lots of people like the Pirates. Why shouldn't Disney ride it for a while. Also, HKDL needs some new draws for the park. POTC did really well in Asia, I was there, I saw the line for the Movie. I think the Locals will love the addition
    Pirates For Everybody!!!!!!
    "Just Keep Swimming, Swimming,Swimming, Just Keep Swimming......."