Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/23: Will It Go Round in Circles, Part II

Steve continues the story of the Disneyland Railroad Roundhouse - discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Senior Minion

Re: 4/23: Will It Go Round in Circles, Part II

Loved reading about the early morning process and how the trains are turned down for the night. Thanks Steve!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Senior Minion

Oh my Steve! Truly you do know how to capture the interest of a reader who is totally unfamiliar with this topic. Great job once again ... and I'm now anxiously awaiting the next part.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Great stuff Steve! Thanks.

• Still lost in Neverland

Great as usual. I loved the early morning sequence. Man I bet that would be something to see, and hear! I love the fact that you call the Engines Fire Breathing Dragons sleeping and then waking up. That's what they are! I also love the wording about seeing them in the early morning like jewels shinning in their black velvet boxes. Man, do I love those trains.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Closed Account

Thanks again, everyone for the kind words. I very much appreciate them!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Great job Steve. Thanks for giving us all a tour.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Halloween 2011

I'm a little confused, knowing nothing about trains steam or otherwise. In Part One Steve said the rotating platforms were built to turn steam trains around because they don't go backwards, yet neither the original nor the new DLRR Roundhouse has a turntable. Do the DLRR engines go into reverse?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    I'm a little confused, knowing nothing about trains steam or otherwise. In Part One Steve said the rotating platforms were built to turn steam trains around because they don't go backwards, yet neither the original nor the new DLRR Roundhouse has a turntable. Do the DLRR engines go into reverse?
    I should have been clearer: Diesels are "bi-directional." They can opeate efficiently going in either direction. It's not required that they be turned on a turntable to get them facing the right direction, but they can be.

Most steam engines, however, are built to pull trains going forward.

This does not mean steam locomotives cannot go in reverse. They're sort of like your car. Automobiles are designed to go forward 99.9% of the time. But they can also go in reverse when necessary. You just wouldn't want to drive to work in reverse!

So, at the end of the operating day at Disneyland, the engineer moves a large lever in the cab to the "reverse" position, and backs the entire train into the roundhouse. In the morning, they pull out going forward.

Hope this helps.

• FastPass n00b

If you guys like this article, you have to read his book. It will cover huge details and gives additional pictures and information. Believe me, if you enjoyed this article and found it interesting, you would love the book...the green one that is, I haven't read the red one yet.

Why didn't they donate the Retlaw 1 passenger cars to Los Angeles Live Steamers with Walt's Barn? It's not like The Disney Company needs the money.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Closed Account

You're right--they didn't need the money. Which is why the cars weren't sold.

They were traded to a southern California collector named Bill Norred. Bill had something Disney did want: A steam locomotive.

That locomotive was too large for Disneyland, however, and they didn't realize it before the trade took place.

So they gave it to Walt Disney World--where Murphy's Law dictated that the engine was too small for them!

So, it was traded to Cedar Point, for a little engine named Maud L. That engine was eventually transformed into the Ward Kimball steam locomotive.

It's actually probably a very good thing that the cars didn't get donated to Travel Town. If you've ever seen the condition of 99% of their collection, you'd know why. As for the LALS, I don't think they have the room, and even if they did, as a private club, you'd need to join to be able to visit them. And then, they would only be on "static" display. Unmoving.

Most of the cars themselves are being lovingly restored by their new owner, and you can ride on them every year for a nominal fee.

So really, everything has worked out for the best. DL got a new locomotive, and the cars are getting some TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    If you guys like this article, you have to read his book. It will cover huge details and gives additional pictures and information. Believe me, if you enjoyed this article and found it interesting, you would love the book...the green one that is, I haven't read the red one yet.
    I'll second that! These articles are just the tip of the iceberg compared to Steve's book.

And I'm confident that the "red one" - about the Ward Kimball - will be every bit as informative and entertaining as the first one was!
    Steve Burns
    Burnsland.com - Disney Railroads and more! Home of the Disney Railroads Discussion Board.
    Burnsland Blog - Pictures and new stuff daily!

• Closed Account

Thanks, Athlonacon and Steve!

I actually like "the red book" better. While its subject is more focused, I think it reads better--more like a story (which it really is). It's filled with facts and trivia, but its presented in a more readable fashion.

The engine also seems imbued with quite a bit of "personality," which I tried to bring out through my writing.

I guess I just find it really neat to be able to follow the history of the little engine from the beginning in 1902 until it makes its grand debut at Disneyland!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 04-24-2007 at 11:45 AM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Lots of steamy action in Part Two, Steve. This read was well worth the wait. Thanks for providing us with a rare and treasured peek inside the Disneyland Railroad Roundhouse. The magnificent locomotives seem almost surreal as they slumber within the walls of their hidden home.

These trains are some of the most streamed -up, shiny spectacles of their ilk in the world. Is Sylvester an AP holder? I'd like to curl up in the Lilly Belle parlour car. Can you pull some strings for me, Steve buddy?

Last edited by Ride Warrior; 04-24-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast