Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/17: Lucasland? PotterWorld?

Either may end up on your vacation itinerary, plus an Animal Kingdom update. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Blog Entries

Re: 5/17: Lucasland? PotterWorld?

I've long wished I could somehow become a creative director for MGM along with the funds I needed to fix that park. MGM has always been one of my favorite parks but it has so many flaws currently that its already broken.

One of them is that it tries to do a couple of things but it fails at all of them. It tried to be a working studio, but that didn't happen. It tried to give you the illusion that you were on a working studio and were watching things take place, but that didn't work either. I think your point about fans just wanting to be able to visit their favorite locales is a good one.

Lose the fake studio idea and do just that. As you pointed out ToT works well and sets good precedence for that. Here are some of my ideas for fixing the park without going too indepth on where everything would go.

1. First, I'd probably go with The Disney Pixar Studios as the name since its apparent we're going to lose the MGM moniker then I'd go for it and create an entire section of the park dedicated solely to Pixar attractions. The imagineers love their pixar attractions and heres where they can go which would leave tomorrowland free be futuristic again. I'd get the midway mania open and running, and then consider moving Buzz and Monsters Inc laugh floor over there. Or better yet, lose the laugh floor idea all together and give us a truly amazing monsters inc ride. Maybe one where we start in monstropolis and then take a ride through the door warehouse going in and out of the doors through various fun locales.

2. Create another side of the park as a muppet experience. I'd refurb up the muppets and add the great muppet ride we've heard so much about.

3. Fix the backlot tour. I don't think the idea would make for a bad attraction, although its current implementation certainly does. Instead I'd make it the special effects tram tour. We'd rework the water effects portion into a pirates special effects extravaganza, complete with the black pearl facade and show how water effects can take place here much like they already do. Then several warehouses would be placed throughout the backlot that would host special effect demonstrations much like the catastrophe canyon does. We'd lose the fake backlot idea of filming and just go straight to an entertaining discussion on how special effects are done. It would end with a walkthrough area and show on CGI special effects.

4. The Great Movie Ride would get a much needed refurb with all those special additions such as star wars that we've heard about in the past.

5. I'd take Kevins idea a little bit and make a much larger star wars area. We'd lose star tours but get a brand new state of the art attraction. We'd have stormtroopers and darth vader and the like always out and about the area for photo opportunities instead of just on the star wars weekends. Plus we'd recreate in full 3d detail a few star wars environments. We'd even put in the jedi show that goes on in Disneyland.

6. Then I'd add some newer shows such as replacing the little mermaid show we have with the one from Tokyo or just devising some new wonderful shows instead.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Thanks, Kevin, as always, for the update. But I do have to say, just keepin' it real here (sorry, Randy Jackson), that I'm not fond of armchair Imagineering. I know threads of that type are incredibly popular, and more power to those who want to spend endless hours discussing what they would do to an attraction or a land or a park. But I'd much rather hear news and discussions on what's really there, and what's really going to happen in the near or distant future.

Just my opinion - keep them updates coming!

• Halloween 2011

Why go outside of Disney for a concept? Disney has a lot of great concepts and undeveloped properties that would attract. Beastlie Kingdomme is a good example, as is a villain's park. Think of all the goth kids who'd flock to a villain themed park.

Kevin,

Just a quick question about your quote:

"What do you mean, this doesn't accept my Disney Dining Plan?! (Reason: it's run by an outside company). They will be peeved."

Are you sure about this? Aren't the majority (if not all) of the restaurants inside Epcot run by outside companies? Clearly, Restaurant Marrakesh, Chefs de France/Bistro de Paris and L'Originale Alfredo are run by outside companies, and they are included in the Dining Plan, correct? The Rain Forest Cafe is separate at Animal Kingdom, but it's technically not "inside" the theme park, as Yak and Yeti will be. What is the distinction?

• Defying gravity

Honestly, I would not want to see Harry Potter in any of the Disney parks. It simply doesn't fit the theme.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    Think of all the goth kids who'd flock to a villain themed park.
    Fantastic! I always heard that Disney had problems attracting the key audience of 13 -19 year old goths.

• Earth Intruder

I'd love to see MGM move past the silly, hokey, fakey "we're making a MOVIE, get it, get it, GET IT??!??!" crap that encompasses most of the park.

But Star Wars, I hope, is not the answer. I'm not giving one more penny to Jabba The Hutt...err.. George Lucas. Such a disgusting, arrogant hack.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    Why go outside of Disney for a concept?. . .
    This is a better idea than "Lord of the Rings," where any attempt would fall short of the films' amazing special and visual effects. And the Muppets and "Star Wars" are both fading franchises--though I was very impressed with the Jedi Academy--which I saw for the first time yesterday.

Go inside the imaginations of Disney Imagineers
    and make the PeopleMover ride again.

Pirates, the Haunted Mansion, Small World, CoP, and Space Mtn., all started with Imagineers. Maybe this current crop or Imagineers is creatively incapable of making something as inventive as the HM was when it opened in the 1960s--though Soarin' over California is up there.

When Universal went Spielberg, they paid him too much. Disney already overpaid for Pixar, and they were probably smart not to do the same for Rowling rides that wouldn't = the books or films. Any Hogwarts that cost under 300 mil to build will be third rate after the books and films. Many of the kids who read the books first already gripe that the movies don't reach the books.

How about if Disney looks Kevin's photos and tries to make the parks as perfect as Tokyo Disney parks? Or how about if they attract even better castmembers by paying them better starting wages?

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

I have lonnnnng felt that Disney needs to further exploit and develop the Lucasfilm properties, especially in D/MGM. There is just so much potential there that they aren't fully realizing. They should build out that whole end of the park for SW and Indy attractions. With Indy IV coming out in theaters next summer, they should be fast-tracking a new Indiana Jones ride for D/MGM. It's a no-brainer. Star Wars and Indiana Jones are two of the premier entertainment franchises and Disney has them. And I still say that ILM/Skywalker Sound could be used to replace the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous with something really draw-dropping and spectacular.

As for other under-exploited properties, Disney still has yet to do anything big with Narnia. Building up SW, Indy and Narnia in D/Mgm would really anchor that park as a premier "experience the movies" park that would compete well with Universal.

And if there is any trouble with the Disney/Lucas relationship, they should get Lasseter to bridge the gap. Lucas apparently takes great pride in the little Bay Area community of filmmakers and Lasseter is a part of that.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• The one, the only...

I believe we can learn a lot from Walt Disney. When he built Disneyland he basically took the magic of a movie back lot and transformed it into themed lands. He did not want to remind you that it was fake, but tried in every way to create the illusion that you were in a different time and place.

But there are many more themes that will work with than concept than the original 5 at Disneyland (I am counting Main Street here!). That could be the future of Disney-Pixar studios. It could be just an extension of several themed lands that totally immerse the guest in that theme. But they have to concentrate on themed "lands" that totally surround the guests in the illusion of that themed place. It does not work when from one ride you can see a different themed area of the park. That was Walt's genus.

No body wants to see the "magic" of movie making revealed. That is like seeing how a magic trick actually is done. That entertains only once. But a magic trick that is done and brings entertainment over and over is much more valuable.

Thanks Kevin for your insights. I would have enjoyed a Harry Potter area at Disney World. I believe that DMGMS can be fixed if the principle of immersion of a total area of the park is achieved.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Good update, Kevin.

I agree with a lot of your points. The Lucasfilm properties have been greatly underutilized. You could practically make a Lucasfilm park. At the very least, they should be expanded within Disney Studios.

I really enjoy the Studios, but I couldn't agree with you more about the theme. They need to ditch the fake "behind-the-scenes" theme and start creating illusions that celebrate the movies.

My only reservation is that I hope Disney doesn't react with too much of a knee-jerk to the possibility of Harry Potter at the competition. I think part of the reason the Studios is as haphazard as it is, is that it was rushed into production to compete eith Universal. If more time and planning had gone into it, it probably wouldn't be such a mess.

In my opinion, I don't think the dining plan has anything at all to do with the decision to convert Tusker house into a sit shown restaurant.

In case you were not aware, the dining plan is currently accepted at a number of NON-disney restaurants on property, so there is absolutely no precedant to assume that Yak and Yeti will not be included on the plan.

Specifically, many of the World Showcase restaurants are run by outside companies, as has been the case since Epcot opened (something many do not realize). Also, a few non-Disney restaurants at Downtown Disney accept the dining plan, including Wolfgang Puck, The Cheescake Factory's Food Quest inside DisneyQuest, Planet Hollywood, Raglan Road, and Earl of Sandwich. While the Rainforest restaurants are not included, I will be very surprised if Disney does not stipulate in its contract with Landry's that Yak and Yeti, which is actually inside the park, is not included on the dining plan.

I think the real reason for the conversion is the obvious need for sit-down restaurants at AK, which I don't think anyone could argue with. If the park plans on staying open past dinner, it will NEED more sit-down restaurants to fulfill guest expectations. Right now all that is available is Rainforest outside the gates. By the end of the year, AK will have three offerings, one in Asia, one in Africa and Rainforest. I don't know the reason behind choosing Tusker House over Pizzafari, however I can tell you that if you visit AK during the busy periods, Pizzafari is incredibly popular as well.
    Last edited by CTXRover; 05-17-2007 at 08:50 AM.

• I'm Engaged!!!!!

I think the studios should be revamped into a park with distinct "lands" not just some place to stick a movie.
    The name could be changed to "Walt Disney's Hollywood"
    The lands could be "pixar studios" "lucasfilm studios" "muppet studios" "Hollywood studios" and "Disney Studios" with hollywood boulevard being the "main st" and the great movie ride being the anchor that ties all the themes together. And, as it's been mentioned, the different studios should not look like studios but like the movies they intend to portray.
    I think the division of lands would help this park immensely

Quote Originally Posted by wishesjake View Post
    I think the studios should be revamped into a park with distinct "lands" not just some place to stick a movie.
    The name could be changed to "Walt Disney's Hollywood"
    The lands could be "pixar studios" "lucasfilm studios" "muppet studios" "Hollywood studios" and "Disney Studios" with hollywood boulevard being the "main st" and the great movie ride being the anchor that ties all the themes together. And, as it's been mentioned, the different studios should not look like studios but like the movies they intend to portray.
    I think the division of lands would help this park immensely
    I agree. I think that is one of the main problems with MGM of today. It is a working studio that is no longer working, so some of the themeing could use a change to keep up. Unlike DCA where it apparently was built that way because it was cheaper, much of MGM was originally built that way because it really wanted to convey the concept of a working studio. I actually like that approach, but I would love for them to give MGM some actual themed lands now. With TSM opening, that entire area could easily be converted into a Toon Studios as is being done at WDSP. They could tie in Indiana and Star Wars to create a Lucas Land. They could add a Muppet dark ride near the 3d show and make it Muppet Studios as you said. It would really help give the park a more solidified themed feel imo.
    Last edited by CTXRover; 05-17-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast