Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Great read. The Pirates rehab sounds great, if it happens, and like some of what was proposed by Marty Sklar/WDI in their original pitch for DL's 50th. Plussing attractions is what Disney used to be known for. It's nice to see them getting back to that ... at least in Anaheim. At WDW, it's more a case of minusing and letting attractions go to hell (I wonder what Al would say if he took rides on the MK's Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Mansion, Pirates and CoP right now ... at least they did recently do a lavish cleaning/sprucing up on Small World so maybe there is hope.)

To refresh Space Mountain, ToT AND Pirates for DL's 'second summer of the 50th' is a very smart marketing strategy. Especially with Monsters Inc. opening this winter at DCA ... and Nemo on the way ... there'll be a constant buzz that started this spring (no lightyear pun intended) that will just keep flowing into 2006 and beyond.

As to HKDL, I don't think this place is going to make folks unhappy the way DSP and DCA have. This park will make guests unhappy because there isn't enough for them to do. I'm pretty sure this park will be a huge hit from Day 1 and those complaints will be more along the lines of "where are all the big attractions.''

It's good to hear that Autopia, Small World and an uber-kewl new version of Pirates are in the pipeline (although I believe nothing until construction begins), but they all should have been there from Day 1. Just those three with what's already there would have been enough to start the park on a real high ... now ... well, this is a half-day park at absolute best, it appears. Pirates really should have been HKDL's signature attraction from Opening Day.

Finally, any word on the media gathering at DL for 7/17? Just one day? Or are they doing something for Space and Turtle Talk? Anyone know?
    Last edited by WDW1974; 06-23-2005 at 03:11 PM.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Setting Sail For Future Attractions

The proposition of a 50th celebrations second summer kickoff in 2006 gives me a rush! Rock It Mountain and the new drop sequence for ToT are each exciting enough, but the Pirates upgrade seals the deal. Two-folding (SM/RIM) and plussing attractions keeps one wondering what's going to happen next. We are entering an extremely unique era.

Former Pirates rumers may pale in comparison with the show elements (movie series based animatronic characters, etc.) coupled with high caliber special effects from the upcoming Hong Kong Disney version. I'm ready to pull up anchor and set sail for the new adventures that are currenty at the park, as well as those that lie ahead. Tremendous work, Al. Have yourself a cupcake on me.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-23-2005 at 10:32 PM.

For all thoughs who are looking forward to a change to potc. Just remember one thing. The movie was made from the classic ride. Not the ride from the movie. In other words if it's not brook don't fix it.

• FastPass n00b

So it looks like the original 50th plan of redoing 5 of the classic Disneyland rides came true after all, it just took a little while. I've always wanted to see a MAJOR update to Pirates because they haven't updated it completely since it opened. It's a great show, but you can only take so much of the same thing over and over, especially when it starts to look its age.

The reason I am against seeing any type of significant references to the movie in the ride is because it would bring that ride's context to the present. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple subtle references, kind of like a nod or a homage to the films, but to create a new scene or have characters from the film would just be wrong. For one thing it would tie the movie directly to the film and, as previously stated by Dgirl, would make the ride based on the movie and not the other way around. The other thing it would do is bring the ride's context into the present which is a scary thing for such a classic attraction. It's currently set hundreds of years ago, but to include a modern reference like Capt. Jack Sparrow would bring the ride setting into the present and it would kill the context of the ride.

If they want to add a new movie scene to WDW or add a new generic scene to Pirates, that'd be totally awesome. But DL's Pirates is very special and with all the new movie-tied rides going into Disneyland, we really don't need Pirates to be tied in too.

• My Children's Father

Count me in as one with a big trip this Fall and thankful POTC will be open .........

Great update Al ..... short and sweet ........

One of my employees at work seems to share some values (or a lack of them) with those CMs that feel calling in when you're going to be absent is "optional". What's weird is he's in his mid 40s, not some 20-something "slacker" ........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    but also, take fantasmic for instance, it's not broken, but it can still be fixed and improved, much like pirates... I say refurb it, keeping it the same, with just those tiny very tiny touches of the movie... Otherwise the newer generations will go in, expecting it's the movie (which the youth of tomorrow will think, and we all know they'll think that when they hear "Pirate of the caribbean") and be completely shocked that it isn't! So just add those touches, but don't change it totally...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

RE: 6/23: Seekin' Adventures

Thanks for another great and detailed update Al! I remember reading in a publication about the Pirates of the Carribean attraction that a "next leve up" in experiencing the ride might involved an area inside the ride where guest can disembark and interact with cast-members dressed as pirates or town folks or perhaps just enjoy the environment of a spanish town . . . It seems that there isn't enough space for that though in the current attraction building. I can't wait to see what upgrades will be added in addition to recent improvements in the cannon ball splashes!

I am still AMAZED that all they can come up with is CUPCAKES for the 17th (Official 50th date).

I mentioned this on another thread some time ago, and got responses like "Well, can YOU come up with something better".

It's not my job to: my point is they pay people to WORK on these ideas!!!

But, I do have one idea. And its not all about the consumerism of the Disney Empire. It's to do with getting back to some Disney Magic and The Happiest Place ON Earth.

My idea would be to bring FIFTY young orphans to Disneyland for FREE, and guide them through the park for a day of express admission on all the rides.

And they wouldn't even need to be American.

Think about it: think about what this idea communicates and the far FAR reaching effect it would have on the Disney image all over the world.

Does Disney have a suggestion box?

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Mousing Around

My idea would be to bring FIFTY young orphans to Disneyland for FREE, and guide them through the park for a day of express admission on all the rides.
    There, you have an idea...even if you aren't getting paid! I'd up the number to 10,000 and include other unfortunate groups. People like Cancer patients and people who lost thier homes...AND I would close the gates to everyone else...OK, maybe that isn't the best idea...

I think HKDL needs more Fantasyland rides. They should already have plans for Peter Pan and Small World and begin construction right now before the park opens, so they can open next summer. The only dark ride in Fantasyland is Pooh. People are going to expect at least a couple more dark rides. None of the classics like Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Alice, etc are there. I don't think they should do Snow White or Mr. Toad, but Pinocchio or Alice could be built. Peter Pan should have opened witht he park.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Wow. Pay airfare for 50 kids, give them a day at Disneyland... that would have been what Walt wanted... which in turn, makes it *impossible* for it to happen, since Eisner, cheap man extraordinaire, would never allow it. It goes against everything he stands for: money, more money, stock options, golden parachute, and to hell with whatever Disney stands for.

• Official Mice Chat person

Think about it: think about what this idea communicates and the far FAR reaching effect it would have on the Disney image all over the world.

Does Disney have a suggestion box?
    That is the best idea I've heard in a LONG time! Great Job Mousing Around, send it to Disney quick! They just might be able to pull something like that off in the limited time they have. All they have to do is call up a few orphanages. (local, or non local)

• MiceAge Columnist

They can't now. By using an idea that was first published on the Internet, they run the risk of a lawsuit by MousingAround. That risk will convince them not to do it in the first place, which is why they have a firm policy of not accepting ideas from outside.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    They can't now. By using an idea that was first published on the Internet, they run the risk of a lawsuit by MousingAround. That risk will convince them not to do it in the first place, which is why they have a firm policy of not accepting ideas from outside.
    Personally, I think if you post an idea on the internet, it's gone. No one owns it anymore. Tough luck for not patenting the idea first.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Directly directed

I'm excited to hear that Pirates at Disneyland will get a big refurb and not just WDW's pirates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast