Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/14: It's So High School

Kevin has both good and bad to report in this latest Walt Disney World Declining by Degrees update. Discuss it, and Star Wars weekends here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• In Technicolor!

Re: 6/14: It's So High School

Great article! Thanks for the update on the "inclines".

It would have felt more 'equalized' if you had included photos of the fresh paint on the TTA railroad bridge and the freshly swept Progress City model. It seems a bit imbalanced to show pictures of the decline, but only describe the incline. Either way, I'm sure glad they're fixed now.
    These are the games that never end.

• May the F=ma be with you

When was the budget for Wand removal approved? The buzz around the internet is that Jim MacPhee wanted it down no matter what, no matter who paid for it. I heard that it had been a pproved a few days back but when exactly was the budget signed? Also, I want to know who is paying for it. Is the money coming out of theSSE interior budget, or is it a new budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

I just got back from a week at WDW. You speak of declining by degrees. I took my 7 year old nephew to the Frontierland Shooting Gallery and less than half of the rifles were operational. Most of the rifles had tape over their coin slots, so this is not an unknown problem, just an unrepaired one. I would not expect this at a travelling sideshow, let alone WDW.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Great article! Thanks for the update on the "inclines".

It would have felt more 'equalized' if you had included photos of the fresh paint on the TTA railroad bridge and the freshly swept Progress City model. It seems a bit imbalanced to show pictures of the decline, but only describe the incline. Either way, I'm sure glad they're fixed now.
    Yeah, I agree on the need for pics. Problem is, the model doesn't photograph well, and with flash it just looks odd. And I didn't see TTA until after dark, so the newly painted bridge wouldn't have turned out. Normally I would have preferred to run before-and-after shots of that particular one.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• former CM

Thumbs up Epcot sign/Star Warts

I'm pleased that the Epcot hand/wand sign will be coming down!
    Sorry to learn that it will be replaced by a McDonald's/Coke sign.

I disliked thee of the five Star Wars movies I saw, and I skipped #2--the 5th one released--because it earned poor reviews. Enough with the "Star Wars." At Disneyland the aging "Star Tours" and the fun and well-executed, interactive Jedi Training Academy are enough. This is an aging franchise.
    I want original spaces and attractions that inspire movies--not vice versa.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Why, oh why, would someone like dooley read an article and then post away about how bad it was? How bout just staying away and let those of us who are interested in these articles discuss them? Or hey, how bout maybe expressing that the article doesn't interest you without comparing it to your own puke? Really childish and lame there, dooley.

Kevin, I enjoyed the article (as I usually do). It does seem, though, that in response to past drubbings, you're going out of your way to disclaim almost everything you say. I'm all for the general disclaimer up front - that's fair. But after that, just call it like you see it. Some will agree with you, and some won't. You're coming off kinda gunshy (which is understandable), but I don't think you have any need to.

• MiceAge Columnist

I can say that I'm not TRYING to be gun-shy, though maybe it looks that way. Honestly, I set out this week originally to write a "positives only" article, which I sometimes do (it keeps me grounded). But then I kept finding other Declines, so the circumstances seemed to call for a balanced approach. I wasn't intentionally hovering in the middle and hedging my bets, certainly not because of readers who might not like what I have to say. I can be polemic and stubborn. Witness, for instance, me returning to more Star Wars armchair imagineering despite being told (wasn't it by you, danyoung?) that this kind of stuff isn't as interesting!

Mostly I was in a celebratory mood. The TTA upkeep problems were really, really annoying, and they are mostly solved. The wand, too, is making me very happy.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

•   
    • Minion

Nah, Keven, it is the whole Pollyanna Rule... "Look for the bad in things, you will always find them..."

I submit, this is one reason why Walt kept everything pristeen and well maintained... Because he knew instinctively people will compain about things that are wrong (without ever steping foot at Guest Relations) and over look what is right...

It is also why he walked the parks... They call it "Management by Walking Around."

Oh, and I too am VERY HAPPY that hiddious eye sore of a wand is going away... I want to see pictures of it being dismantled...
    Check out my other blog:

• Golden State of Mind

great stuff
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• World Traveler

Great article! Thanks. It's good news to hear that the wand will be removed.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Witness, for instance, me returning to more Star Wars armchair imagineering despite being told (wasn't it by you, danyoung?) that this kind of stuff isn't as interesting!
    I don't think I was cranky about the Star Wars stuff. I think I did sound off on the Universal coverage. But I never mean to indicate that you (or anybody) needs to do or not do stuff just because I think that way. I'm just expressing an opinion, for you to file away as you see fit.

Now, I will admit that I skipped over the Star Wars section of your article, but it's obviously something you feel strongly about, so imagineer away!

• Beer is good beer.

Thumbs up Re: 6/14: It's So High School

Hallelujah! The wand's finally coming down! This is a cause for celebration! Great article, keep 'em coming, Kevin!
    M A S E C A !

• Former Epcot CM

The Village Frys shop.
    Incline. Nice 3D lettering.
    Decline. McDonalds sponsership.

We won't get rid of McDonalds they make far too much money for Disney.
    However, more detailed signs in the resort are the way to go.

Verdict: Incline

Next.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Kevin, I enjoyed the article (as I usually do). It does seem, though, that in response to past drubbings, you're going out of your way to disclaim almost everything you say. I'm all for the general disclaimer up front - that's fair. But after that, just call it like you see it. Some will agree with you, and some won't. You're coming off kinda gunshy (which is understandable), but I don't think you have any need to.
    I'm glad you said it first, Danny.

I got the feeling from reading your disclaimers that you were basically apologizing for everything short of being born, Kevin.

I know you aren't Al, but can you imagine him apologizing for ANYTHING? He's, in the past, written things that were insulting and way off-base, but he never apologizes.

Frankly, it's better than being wishy-washy.

And when people complain about your photos, all I can say is 'What are the talking about?' I've yet to see any of the really bad stuff in one of your columns. Where's the filthy pavement? Where's the burned out light-bulbs wringing the roofs of deluxe resorts like Beach Club and Grand Floridian? Where's the pics of the mold on the Splash Mountain logs or anything from Mansion?

Did I miss them?

And what about things like that rotten laundry room door at the BC that I pointed out to you months ago?

If you're going to 'cover' WDW, you can't simply focus on the parks and act like the resorts, recreational facilities, water parks and DD don't exist.
    After all, it's the resorts that provide the huge revenue stream to P&R and I think people have a right to know they aren't being maintained.

I understand you mean well, really. I just see your columns as a largely wasted opportunity.

You get the small stuff, but seem to not be able to put it into the proper big context.

Like the shop at the exit to Space Mountain selling everything BUT SM merchandise. As a small tidbit in a column it gets lost. But if you did a column on MK merchandise as a whole, you'd realize (as would the readers) just how WalMarted it has become. I've yet to see anything from you on the Main Street World of Disney shop that runs along the entire Emporium side with meaningless facades on the outside to suggest there's more than one actual shop. This is a HUGE example of what Dan Cockerell and the merchandising dolts have done, yet you'd never know it. And it sure as hell is Declining By (MANY) Degrees. How about all the shops in Adventureland being closed with their merchandise now pushed out into walkways like at a flea market? What does it all mean? That's what I'm looking for.

I don't mean to come off harshly, although frankly I don't care all that much either.

I just think you're really missing the big picture.

And obsessing about FastPass is just a waste of time because it isn't going anywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast