View Poll Results: Was 'Ratatouille' to your taste? (Vote ONLY if you have seen the movie)

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars Merci beaucoup! Pixar has delighted my palette!

111 71.15%
  • 4 Stars Delicious and send over the dessert tray

33 21.15%
  • 3 Stars Slightly overcooked but enjoyable still

7 4.49%
  • 2 Stars Mildly amusing with a hint of humor

3 1.92%
  • 1 Star Drive-Thru Only

1 0.64%
  • I don't like foreign films but love french fries

1 0.64%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• is too darn hot.

Re: 'Ratatouille' official Mice Chat Revues

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Spoiler
    I did think it was interesting that pretty much nothing in the teaser trailer was actually in the film.
    Spoiler
    That's happened in most of the films so far. My favorite was the one for Monsters, Inc. "Outer Magnolia"... *giggle*

I really truly enjoyed this film. It was pure Pixar magic from start to finish and some of the visuals in it were beyond stunning. The Paris cityscape jumps out at you like a painting or a photograph, the food makes you hungry, and the water moves like real water. I can't praise this movie enough for its ingenuity, technical achievement and acting. Top notch all the way around.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Should we revisit this one in a few weeks?
    I really hope I'm wrong about that. I'd love for this movie to be so successful that it not only makes a lot of money, but that it influences the way cartoons are made.

As far as the RAT issue that cstephens brought up...
    Spoiler
    That's something I found interesting. The way the horde of rats ran was surprisingly realistic, but I think it added a depth to the story. You can totally understand the Human response to rats, and hence the rats response to humans. Though if someone was deathly afraid of rats, they would most likely turn into a screaming maniac. I've seen a few instances of tons of rats/mice running away, and they got the look perfect.

But they were clean when they were cooking, Remy washed his cute little paws, and deep cleaned all the rest.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

We saw it at one of five theatres in the greater New Orleans area showing the Sneak Peek.

Short review, no spoilers: Better than Oscar caliber!

As many of you may know, New Orleans is based in part on French culture, and it's known for it's cooking. Here, we don't eat to live. We live to eat! Even po-boy sandwich shops and sno-ball stands get star'ed reviews by food critics. And a lot of our chefs are internationally known (such as Paul Prudhomme and Emeril Lagasse) as well as they earn regional and national James Beard Awards.

From our perspective, "Ratatouille" not only hit it outta the ballpark, but the homerun was sustained from moment one of the movie to the end.

Better (or at least as outstanding as) "Finding Nemo" or "The Incredibles" or the two "Toy Story" movies.

Not a drooling fan girl. Just fact.

Bring a pack of tissues, you might get misty-eyed during parts of it, either due to how much heart went in, or the uncanny accuracy of the passion for food, how restaurant kitchens really operate, or the mutual lessons many of the character develop and learn from one another.

Our suburban theatre was nearly sold out. One child was restless and confused "Where are they now?" in one of the first restaurant kitchen scenes, then everyone settled down and enjoyed. Overt laughter. Enthusiastic applause during more than one moment in it, especially as plot and character resolutions were happening. Big applause when the credits began to roll.

There are a couple of Hidden Mickey's. Look at the top of the pot of soup Remy cooks (well known 9-minute clip online) . In fact, when my dear husband took a screen capture of it, he used Photoshop to get in close, and it's either a Hidden Mickey or a Hidden Remy! Second Hidden Mickey is in the closing credits, on screen left, there is a faucet, and just behind or just above the faucet is what I think is the Hidden Mickey.

Spoiler
    This is probably among the first if not the first Pixar or Disney animated film, rated G, to have a plot point of having DNA testing to determine paternity of a major character! Might be a French thing, might be where our society has come to in 2007, but I wonder if Walt is spinning a bit in his grave ovewr that one? I'm not offended by it, since it serves how cutthroat business had gotten to that point in the movie, but it's just amusing to contrast "today" and "olden times" in Disney or even Pixar films.

Surely "Ratatouille" will reap an oscar for Best Animated Film of 2007! But somehow, in my heart, it deserves something better than Oscar, I don't know what or how high an accolade, but "Ratatouille" was embraced by one theatre's New Orleans area audience (AMC Palace 16 at Elmwood, in Harahan, Louisiana ).

I never checked my watch! I loved this movie.

You will not be disappointed! Go plan to see "Ratatouille" June 29th or opening weekend, or sometime.

PS: What they say about the quality of bread in the movie, in New Orleans with our French bread, that actually is very true!
    Last edited by CarolKoster; 06-17-2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Insert coding for Spoiler Box

• Santa Barbara, CA

Saw the sneak. Loved the movie. Better than the last few Pixar films, maybe my favorite? I thought it was ironic that they ran a pre-movie commercial for Chef Boy ar Dee and they make fun of it in the movie.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Former JC Skipper

Wish I could say I loved this one. I liked the original Ben and me better (same story...mouse befriends lost and clueless human, human gets ego and takes credit where it isn't deserved...mouse still comes back and saves human). It had some nice moments. Visually it was as photo-realistic as I would ever want my animation to be, but it was really long, short on humor, and not what I consider to be Pixars best effort. Wall-E trailer was great. Lifted was hysterical. Rats cooking...washed hands or not, just too much plague potential there.

• Banned User

I saw the fillm last night and I have to admit I was a bit dissappointed. yes the film looked good and sounded great, but the plot was too twisted and actually could have been cut by 20 minutes. The film started out one way, then went another, and then after that plotline was done added a third. IT was like two people came up with stories and they melded them into one movie.
    Like i said before I liked the look of the film and there are some heart tugging moments, but I enjoyed cars much better. I am sure it will do fine, but even pixar must be concerned if they are doing sneak peaks of a movie and showing 9 minute previews, not something a company would do if they had faith in the film.

• Former Epcot CM

Well I was going to see this movie regardless because its a Pixar movie and it's Rule 8.2 in the Disney Geek Handbook that you are required to view every new animated release at least once in it's debut cinematic run. But reading these reviews from you guys, I'm even more excited.

I cannot wait.

But does anyone else feel that time has flew since the last Pixar film? Was that like, last year? I didn't think Pixar did a new movie every year.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• keh!

well they didn't in the beginning, but w/ hit after hit, i say bring on more pixar films.

btw, the part that i thought was funniest was..

Spoiler
    when the other cardboard cut outs of Gusteau were talking to Remy, the bbq, the colonel, the chinese food one, hahaha, that was classic.

• Minion

This movie is of the most excellent quality. It is better than "The Incredibles," "Cars," "Monsters Inc.," "A Bug's Life," and "Finding Nemo." It is as good as Toy Story 1 and 2. The story is extremely well developed, as are the characters. The animation is beautiful. It is one of those movies where people are so involved that they clap at certain points. This movie is extremely imaginative like Toy Story 1 and 2. I cannot praise this movie enough. Hopefully it beats Titanic in the all time box office.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Question: I didn't see many PIXAR references, but was Linguini wearing boxers w/ the Incredibles logo or was I seeing things?

Also, forgot to mention this:
    Spoiler
    Did anyone else find it very interesting that a Disney (even a PIXAR film) dealt w/ illegitimate children. I mean I had no problem with it, but it was just a bit unexpected.... except I called it because I misheard the beginning and thought from the start that Linguini was his son. Very interesting, a very grown up idea and I think I love Pixar for going in that direction.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    Question: I didn't see many PIXAR references, but was Linguini wearing boxers w/ the Incredibles logo or was I seeing things?
    That was the most overt reference. I'm sure there were others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik
    Spoiler
    Did anyone else find it very interesting that a Disney (even a PIXAR film) dealt w/ illegitimate children. I mean I had no problem with it, but it was just a bit unexpected.... except I called it because I misheard the beginning and thought from the start that Linguini was his son. Very interesting, a very grown up idea and I think I love Pixar for going in that direction.
    Spoiler
    I also like that they didn't make a big deal of it either positive or negative. It just happened.
    Last edited by BassBone; 06-17-2007 at 09:01 PM.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post

Spoiler
    I noticed the boxers too, as far as the spoiler...

Spoiler

Look at a lot of the old Disney's that deal with similar issues of family, and other things. I thought the ample use of wine (including a drunk Linguine) were a bit ... older than I thought they would be, but they hearken back to the more bold movies of days gone by.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    I am sure it will do fine, but even pixar must be concerned if they are doing sneak peaks of a movie and showing 9 minute previews, not something a company would do if they had faith in the film.
    Completely off base. The studio marketing is working off of great advance reviews, decided to work in the Saturday word-of-mouth sneaks to enhance the man-on-the-street and internet goodwill and have featured an extended scene. Walt Disney Pictures has employed the same platformed program (as have other studios) a number of times in the past. My favorite example of a similar approach: 'The Lion King'.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Lonestar Louisianian

Count me among those that did not love "The Incredibles" and "Cars" as much as I would have liked (I enjoyed them though). However, Ratatouille was an absolute masterpiece. From the exceptional animation down to the amazing musical score. Top notch.
    The sneak I went to was filled and the whole audience seemed to enjoy the film. The story is slightly bit convoluted for the kiddies, thus evidenced by restlessness in certain parts from the ones in attendance, but on the whole its warm hearted and "follow your dream" aspect comes through loud and clear.

I enjoyed it immensely and echo all of the positive reviews seen here!

Loved the movie! Can't wait to see it again when it officially comes out.
    I was surprised to find out this movie was rated G. Possible spoiler and parent watch: There is one point in the movie where the main character gets drunk off of wine. Normally just being drunk is one issue and holding alcohol is another issue. What I'm shocked is that they allowed the audience to witness the character actually drink the wine. First time I can ever recall that happening in a movie that the MPAA didn't note in their ratings. Not that it offended me, I'm just surprised it was approved in one way or another. I'm glad we seem to be advancing beyond our prudness.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast