View Poll Results: Was 'Ratatouille' to your taste? (Vote ONLY if you have seen the movie)

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars Merci beaucoup! Pixar has delighted my palette!

111 71.15%
  • 4 Stars Delicious and send over the dessert tray

33 21.15%
  • 3 Stars Slightly overcooked but enjoyable still

7 4.49%
  • 2 Stars Mildly amusing with a hint of humor

3 1.92%
  • 1 Star Drive-Thru Only

1 0.64%
  • I don't like foreign films but love french fries

1 0.64%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: 'Ratatouille' official Mice Chat Revues

Quote Originally Posted by Pokkito View Post
    Loved the movie! Can't wait to see it again when it officially comes out.
    I was surprised to find out this movie was rated G. Possible spoiler and parent watch: There is one point in the movie where the main character gets drunk off of wine. Normally just being drunk is one issue and holding alcohol is another issue. What I'm shocked is that they allowed the audience to witness the character actually drink the wine. First time I can ever recall that happening in a movie that the MPAA didn't note in their ratings. Not that it offended me, I'm just surprised it was approved in one way or another. I'm glad we seem to be advancing beyond our prudness.
    They're French, so they're allowed to drink. Right?

And sometimes people drink too much. I'm guessing the consequences of this (see Elephant, Dumbo the) are clear as well?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Finally getting around to posting on this great movie.

We went to see it Saturday and loved it! My daughter is in the culinary program at our local JC and so especially got a kick out of it. I loved Anton Ego. Perfect voice casting on that one. I also felt a Tim Burton feel to him and his home. His reaction to a certain food was genius. Our theater was about 2/3rds full and everyone seemed to be having a great time and laughing in all the right places. Lots of action and suspense in this one.

Spoiler
    The one big question both my daughter and I wondered about was the G rating considering all the drinking (and getting drunk) and the paternity issue regarding Linguine. We thought it was played very well and matter of factly but we still took note of it. Also she thought the scene with the dead rats in the window might be scary for really little kids. Her best part was when Remy put the rats in the steamer or dish washer thing in order to get them clean. My favorite part was what I mentioned above about how Anton is transported back in time to his childhood when he bites into the ratatouille.

So this mother and daughter team give this movie two big thumbs up which together would equal four

I heard about the preview on another Disney board and did not see a TV commercial, although I heard one did show...regardless, our theater was very close to capacity, which I was excited about.

First of all, I loved the short before the movie. Hilarious. I actually just watched The Incredibles tonight with my parents, who had not seen it, and watched Boundin', and that was by far my least favorite of the shorts. Really enjoyed the new one.

I absolutely adored Ratatouille, and what's awesome is that there is another sneak (a traditional "radio giveaway" sneak on Thursday and my sister got free tickets, so we're going again!

Also, my parents are big pin people, so we're going opening weekend so we can get the free pins at the Disney Store.

Anyway, other MCers have wrapped up the highlights of the film's story and characters very well. Here's a short mention of my observations....

I went in with low expectations. The story really did not seem that appealing to me. Yet, I was so enthralled and impressed. I really feel this is a Pixar masterpiece.

Leaving the film, I really thought about what made this film different from Meet The Robinsons and Chicken Little, movies I enjoyed, but did not feel that "special something" about. Here's my take on it:

CL was heartwarming and had some funny moments, but had a very weak story.

MTR had strong characters and was heartwarming, but wasn't very funny.

Ratatouille had it all, and then some. It had everything I've come to expect from Pixar. Absolutely hilarious, great characters I felt invested in, "warm fuzzies" at the end, and a very strong (and interesting) story.

I knew other people in the theater were just as "into" the movie as me when:
    Spoiler
    They threw Skinner in the pantry (is that what it's called? whatever) tied up near the end...everyone in the theater was clapping and cheering.

Usually I get picked on in movies for laughing too loud (it hurts ). This time, I felt like I was with "my own," people who really appreciate these movies. It makes for a more enjoyable moviegoing experience when everyone's into it.
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

Also, did anybody else notice at the end of the credits that there is a little "stamp" that says the film was 100% hand animated? No motion capture was used in the creation of this film. I find that truely cool!

Also, did anybody else notice at the end of the credits that there is a little "stamp" that says the film was 100% hand animated? No motion capture was used in the creation of this film. I find that truely cool!

Loved it!

• is too darn hot.

MoCap has its own set of problems and challenges and is just as difficult as traditional animation.

I know this because my father is producing a Motion Capture movie right now and he's having as many headaches as they have over at Pixar.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Sorry that I haven't gotten around to posting this sooner. Now for starters, I have to say that the initial trailers had me a bit concerned, especially the first teaser trailer. For those who think that the 9 minute preview is a lack of faith, I don't think that's true. The 9 minute preview is what completely floored me and won me over.

Now, as for the movie itself. I absolutely loved it. I still haven't decided if this takes my new favorite PIXAR movie spot away from Finding Nemo or not. It's a tough call. The depth of the story and character development, as others have said, was amazing and something that I didn't expect from an animated movie, even a PIXAR movie. The story worked on many levels and had many different implications which I found interesting. Linguini and Remy were both loveable characters and a FANTASTIC duo.
    Spoiler
    Things are happy and fun when they're together, and it's absolutely heartbreaking when Linguini turns of Remy

I thought Anton Ego as a character had some of the greatest moments in the film,
    Spoiler
    especially his little verbal pissing contest with Linguini.
    I thought the character's story was resolved quite nicely.

I'm still not quite sure of what to think with Skinner as the bad guy. My initial reaction was that he just wasn't enough to carry that distinction, but thinking back on it, I'm sure that I'm wrong.

Onto the technical side of this film: WOW! This is going to sound really weird, but PIXAR has achieved a style (and have always had it, IMHO) that if Walt Disney had the ability to make CGI animated features in his day, it would be the same. The film was hands-down the most visually stunning animated movie I have ever seen (since it seems to be contention elsewhere on the Internet, I have not seen Spirited Away). After what I felt was a grossly underwhelming Cars (the characters were interesting in terms of the animation and the landscaping was ABSOLUTELY beautiful), I was delighted to see PIXAR bounce back and serve us up Ratatouille. The film was beautiful. PIXAR has found an ideal balance for me between cartoons and photorealism. Ever since Toy Story and even when The Incredibles came out, I always wondered if PIXAR could pull off a photorealistic human character. Although they didn't go that route in Ratatouille, my curiosity has now been killed because they clearly can. Everything was amazing, from the way that Remy moved and read as a living, breathing character to the meticulous care and detail put into animating the food realistically. Just...WOW! If there was one thing that could make this film visually better, the only thing I could possibly think of would be presenting it in Disney Digital 3-D. I saw Meet the Robinsons both with and without it. The depth that the DD3-D added to the movie was amazing, and I think Ratatouille could benefit, even though PIXAR clearly keeps climbing to the pinnacle of technical greatness.

I absolutely loved the film and can't wait to see it again when it comes out.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thumbs up “Ratatouille” - A Restaurant Review by the Dusty Sage of MiceChat.com

“Ratatouille” - A Restaurant Review by the Dusty Sage of MiceChat.com

When one seeks a new establishment in which to dine, one often looks for a warm inviting place with an enticing menu, exquisite courses, and extraordinary service. If you are lucky, you will find a place with one or two of these elements, but rarely do we find them all in one place. Sometimes we sacrifice quality for ambiance, or excellent service for a great chef. A truly great restaurant transcends the bounds of business and becomes art itself – able to transport you into a world of transcendent bliss. A special treat which, if you are lucky, will provide you with joy, fulfillment, and memories for years to come.

If Disney/Pixar’s new film, “Ratatouille,” were a restaurant, the daily papers would be exalting the new chef in town. Surely, many would be drawn to the sumptuous rendering and fine details of the animation – in my opinion this is the best Pixar animation to date. The story itself is a classic bit of telling in its own right: boy (or rat) seeks to follow his dream and finds that the world is against him. All odds are that his dream will end in tragedy – a fact that is not brushed aside by this film or given the easy way out. This is a subtly spiced dish with the nuances of perfection. From the first moment, you know that you are in good hands, that the story will transport you in ways that you never dreamed, and that faint memories of your youth will be reignited. Yes, this is the sort of film on which you can visually feast and are likely to remember fondly and share with your children and their children. When a dish is truly sublime, it deserves to be shared.

For their repeated consistency in excellence, beauty, creativity, story, and an unwavering effort to keep animation an art form, I am happy to bestow upon Pixar the rare gift of 5 stars. This is one dish that I hope to sample for years to come and hopefully share with good friends.

In short, “Ratatouille” is a finely layered and perfectly prepared confection suited to every class and taste. A toast to Pixar on their shining achievement; may they be equally as successful on their future dishes, now that there are rats in the kitchen!

Bon Appitite!

The Dusty Sage
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Great Review Dusty!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I had the good fortune to be able to see "Ratatouille" early with the whole Pixie Family. As most reviewers have already stated, this film is the most visually stunning animated movie I have ever seen. The lighting and the water sequences were amazing. The characters seemed so real while still retaining that cute, cartoonish quality.

The story was not my favorite, but it had its funny moments. I agree with the MCer who said it seemed like a few storylines that kind of melded into one without being completely cohesive. It definitely lost me somewhere in the middle & I just couldn't get emotionally invested at the end.

It was immensely better than "Cars" but not Pixar's finest story ever. The animation just keeps getting better and better from them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    The biggest problem for me was getting over the rat protagonist and how it plays out in some scenes.

Spoiler
    Mickey is one thing - he's not really a rat. But Remy and Emile et al are supposed to be more like real rats, and no matter how much you might feel for Remy, the several scenes of the multitude of rats - when they all come crashing down from the chandelier in the woman's house, when they come pouring out of the stock room in the restaurant, when they're all cooking after the kitchen staff has quit - just really kind of creeped me out, especially in the context of food. The mice in "Cinderella" were one thing - there weren't that many of them, and they were stylized, and they were sewing, not around food. The scenes in this film where there were a ton of rats just reminded me too much of "Willard", which I don't think was what they were going for.
    I had the same feeling. Those sequences were so superbly done that they gave me the heeby-jeebies. It was wonderful visually, but psychologically disturbing!

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    Regarding the teaser trailer that was originally released,

Spoiler
    I did think it was interesting that pretty much nothing in the teaser trailer was actually in the film.
    I noticed that, too! I think that happened with "The Incredibles" as well.

Yes! I thought that was cool!

I loved the short "Lifted!" It's amazing that there was no dialogue and I still laughed so hard!

My favorite part was:

Spoiler
    the flashback scene when Ego eats the ratatouille.

I gave it a 4 out of 5 stars just because I was in awe of the quality of animation. If the story were better, I would have given it 5 out of 5.

(Just as an aside, I am very happy to see they did a "traditional" window at the Emporium for the movie & not a cardboard poster! )
    <o>

• white and nerdy

Re: “Ratatouille” - A Restaurant Review by the Dusty Sage of MiceChat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    “Ratatouille” - A Restaurant Review by the Dusty Sage of MiceChat.com

When one seeks a new establishment in which to dine, one often looks for a warm inviting place with an enticing menu, exquisite courses, and extraordinary service. If you are lucky, you will find a place with one or two of these elements, but rarely do we find them all in one place. Sometimes we sacrifice quality for ambiance, or excellent service for a great chef. A truly great restaurant transcends the bounds of business and becomes art itself – able to transport you into a world of transcendent bliss. A special treat which, if you are lucky, will provide you with joy, fulfillment, and memories for years to come.

If Disney/Pixar’s new film, “Ratatouille,” were a restaurant, the daily papers would be exalting the new chef in town. Surely, many would be drawn to the sumptuous rendering and fine details of the animation – in my opinion this is the best Pixar animation to date. The story itself is a classic bit of telling in its own right: boy (or rat) seeks to follow his dream and finds that the world is against him. All odds are that his dream will end in tragedy – a fact that is not brushed aside by this film or given the easy way out. This is a subtly spiced dish with the nuances of perfection. From the first moment, you know that you are in good hands, that the story will transport you in ways that you never dreamed, and that faint memories of your youth will be reignited. Yes, this is the sort of film on which you can visually feast and are likely to remember fondly and share with your children and their children. When a dish is truly sublime, it deserves to be shared.

For their repeated consistency in excellence, beauty, creativity, story, and an unwavering effort to keep animation an art form, I am happy to bestow upon Pixar the rare gift of 5 stars. This is one dish that I hope to sample for years to come and hopefully share with good friends.

In short, “Ratatouille” is a finely layered and perfectly prepared confection suited to every class and taste. A toast to Pixar on their shining achievement; may they be equally as successful on their future dishes, now that there are rats in the kitchen!

Bon Appitite!

The Dusty Sage
    I dun liked them cute lil' critters t0!!!1
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Banned User

I also got to see Ratatouille early, and I have to add my voice and say that it is a simply amazing film. It has everything, IMO - it's beautiful, the animation is stunning, the characters are endearing and the story is great, IMO. It's probably the best movie I've seen this year.

I thought the story was really well handled - it was funny, and heartwarming and wrapped up so well at the end. The ending was great.
    Spoiler
    I loved, loved, loved Anton Ego. From the moment he appeared at the restaurant right up utnil the end of the movie, I thought that was as perfect as it could get. The flashback when he tasted the ratatouille...I loved that scene so much,

The part where Remy realizes that his family still loves him and was willing to help him acheive his dream. I couldn't believe how amazing the animation in that scene was with all the rats moving around the kitchen. Incredible.

In my opinion, Pixar has completely knocked this one out of the park. I can't wait to see it again!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Saw the film today and loved it. I have read the reviews above me and you all have spoken so elegantly about this film that there is not much more for me to write.

I just loved it. The animation was spot on and the emotion was real. Makes me want to go to Paris and learn how to cook. I know I will be heading to the Disney Store for merchandise.

• Delawarean Girl

Just saw it today. Sue Kruse said it best.
    It's charming. I like it a lot. It's so good!
    I only have one question.

Spoiler
    Why didn't Gusteau's Restaurant get five stars back, once Anton Ego approved of this meal? I'm meaning at the end.

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

Spoiler
    Because it was closed down due to a rat infestation

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast