View Poll Results: Was 'Ratatouille' to your taste? (Vote ONLY if you have seen the movie)

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars Merci beaucoup! Pixar has delighted my palette!

111 71.15%
  • 4 Stars Delicious and send over the dessert tray

33 21.15%
  • 3 Stars Slightly overcooked but enjoyable still

7 4.49%
  • 2 Stars Mildly amusing with a hint of humor

3 1.92%
  • 1 Star Drive-Thru Only

1 0.64%
  • I don't like foreign films but love french fries

1 0.64%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Delawarean Girl

Re: 'Ratatouille' official Mice Chat Revues

Quote Originally Posted by serenityandroses View Post
    Spoiler
    Because it was closed down due to a rat infestation
    Spoiler
    Thank you for answering my question. *thinking to myself now* I did catch that reason then. I just felt like I missed something there, I was just excepting them to have five stars again especially when they showed the sign. But then they just turned it off and then I just went 'huh?'. I did feel that inspector was going to do something reguardless.

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    Spoiler
    Thank you for answering my question. *thinking to myself now* I did catch that reason then. I just felt like I missed something there, I was just excepting them to have five stars again especially when they showed the sign. But then they just turned it off and then I just went 'huh?'. I did feel that inspector was going to do something reguardless.
    Spoiler
    Well, it was hard to pick up on if you don't listen to Remy's commentary. He talks all about it while this scene is happening.

• Just this guy......

I just saw it today and all I can say is WOW! Great movie and the best film of the summer!!!!!! Go see it!

• back in Austin

Wow. they have done it again.

I just got home from seeing the film and I was expecting to like it, but not as much as I did. Another home-run from the Pixar team, whether they do well box-office-wise or not. I'm amazed that they can keep cranking them out like this. They must really be doing something right.

Really sweet storyline, awesome animation + lots of fun.

edit: I wrote this before reading the other reviews so I wouldn't be influenced by the rest. Time to go back now and read this thread!

• back in Austin

Ok, a few more comments now that I've read the rest of the thread:

Regarding the trailer, I think it's wonderful that Pixar doesn't ruin their films for you by showing you the funniest, most visually stunning moments from them. I love it that they actually go through the extra trouble to produce what is essentially a separate short film to let you get an idea what the movie will be like without showing it to you. I wish every studio would do this.

Another thing that I really like about how Pixar does business is that they create something new rather than just recycing something old to make money. Even with Toy Story 2, they came up with a solid movie that completely stands on its own. I felt like the storyline for Ratatouille was really original.

Spoiler
    I really enjoyed all of the various "incarnations" of Gusteau, and the nod to 2-D animation when the illustration in the cookbook first starts talking to Remy. Also loved the moment where all of the various cardboard-cutout Gusteaus are all talking. Too funny.

For me too, the pivotal moment of the film is when Anton Ego is magically transported to a tender moment in his childhood after one bite of ratatouille. Remy has truly triumphed when he is able to win over this crusty food critic who wants to hate the restaurant so badly. All at the same time, I was laughing, clapping and crying. They really nailed it with this scene.
    Last edited by RenMan; 06-29-2007 at 08:00 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Took my parents to see it this evening... (i take them to every Pixar film) and my mom loved it. She clapped her hands at the end which she hasn't done in a long time. I think my dad might have been let down after reading so much good buzz. His expectations went through the roof but Pixar films have the power of becoming more and more with each viewing. And that's a rare gift.

For those who were concerned about the G rating, I don't think the wine scene was too inappropriate. We see a Wine God in Fantasia getting even more wasted off wine. I think what was a tad risque was the mention of someone fooling with someone else's daughter. It was just one line of dialogue but it was clear as day. But no biggie.

I REALLY liked Ratatouille a lot. A lot. I give it a 9/10. That score may change as I watch it again, as it's certainly the most refined Pixar film. I think I still hold The Incredibles as a personal favorite, but I absolutely do need to see this again. It was just beautiful to watch.

As for the signature "pixar" moment. The scene that just tugs on your strings and forces you to get a bit teary eyed... I kinda didn't get that in this one. Maybe because this entire film was just so rich in detail. I'd have to say that the most satisfying scene for me was:

Spoiler
    Ego tried the ratatouille and had a flashback back to his childhood and he was crying. I just loved that scene. it was definitely my favorite moment of the film

Must see again!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I've been doing my best to get the message out in these threads since I saw the sneal a couple of weeks ago...

This is Pixar's best effort yet - and to say that it is well worth seeing would be the understatement of the summer.

Fantastic animation - cool storyline - warmth and heart - it is all there.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Saw the 7.45 in Emeryville last night (3 blocks from Pixar). 3 kids in the whole theatre. At least half the others were Pixar employees or friends of. Everyone stayed for the entire credits and there were little bursts of applause when people's names came on - including a little cheering section for the folks in HR!

Pixar folks did not boo when the Dreamworks "B Movie" preview came on - but they should have. Dear God what is Dreamworks thinking - there wasn't even a light giggle in response to anything in that preview from anyone in the audience. Drek.

Movie was great - the exterior paris scenes, night and day, were just breathtaking - just this golden hue and texture - amazing.

• Senior Minion

We saw it Friday morning (the wife had the day off). Our impressions? It's clearly some of Pixar's best work, and possibly the best they've ever done. I loved how they caught the look, feel, and sounds of an authentic French kitchen, and of Paris; the contrasts between the ultra real locations and the clearly "cartoonish-looking" characters. To capture the romance and joy that is Paris is something artists of all types have been attempting to do for centuries.

Pixar has followed the path of never underestimating it's audience; the characters are largely complex individuals instead of one-dimensional. No annoying thrown-in sidekicks here. I think Walt knew this, and Brad Bird clearly has followed that example.

As I said somewhere else, it's one of the few movies I would see again in the theatre. We also loved "Lifted"--another entry in the great line of Pixar shorts!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Can I just say something about the previews? I had the WORST collection of previews ever.

Aside from Wall-E, I had Daddy Day Camp, Bratz, Underdog, and maybe something else and that was it.

Where's my Harry Potter preview? Where's my Enchanted preview? I didn't even get a BEE MOVIE preview! sigh.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

I thought it was fantastic. One of Pixar's very best (perhaps the very best after "Finding Nemo"). And the animation is hands down the best computer animation in any animated film ever. I really believe that.

My kids loved it, my wife loved it (very rare for her to really enjoy a "kids" movie -- we all know Pixar films aren't just for kids but she still views them that way!). Both the adults and the children in our theater were laughing, cheering and applauding throughout the film.

The opening will be less than some other Pixar films but the word-of-mouth will be great and it will play well throughout the summer.

Spoiler
    I agree with those that were a little put off or surprised by the subplot with Linguini being Gusteau's son, but they handled it pretty discreetly in the film. My young girls didn't really fully get it all. Regarding the "ick" factor with the rats -- I loved that part of it!
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• The one, the only...

I just saw the film today. I did like the film. I agree with most who say that the scenes which have rats around food are disturbing. I feel that it kept me interested during all the film.

Spoiler
    The romantic interest in the movie seemed to disrupt the relationship of Remy with Linguini too much. I so much wanted to feel that Remy and Linguini were best buddies. But at the end I feel that Linguini got the girl, but then Remy got his dream. But I wanted to feel more that Linguini and Remy's relationship was stronger because of it all.

I wish I could say that this was the best Pixar movie I have ever seen, but it is not. I loved Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Monster's Inc and Bug's Life. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Nerd.

Besides being a wonderful animated movie with a great story, here are some other reasons why I LOVED it!

-It is timeless. The soundtrack was gorgeous, no annoying songs that instantly age the movie. In my mind, I am comparing this to Shrek's soundtrack ("I'm a Believer" etc...) While you do see some modern cars and scooters, for the most part, there isn't any modern gadgets etc.... I think this will make it not seem so obvious it is from 2007 in the future; gives it more of a classic feel.

-The message of the overall story. However, more subtle messages like eat quality food, eat it slowly...enjoy it! This movie made me hunger for a nice gourmet meal and a good glass of wine!

-No product placement. Yeah!! What a concept!

-A story that isn't super obvious. It isn't dumb downed. It let me come to conclusions on my own. It was also educational in subtle ways...ie. when describing the players in a restaurant kitchen. Not a super obvious ending either! It also is definitely geared to BOTH adults and kids. There weren't those obvious moments (bad jokes) that are obviously meant to wink wink at the adults.

-No obvious (insert famous celebrity) making an appearance in the movie. I was actually surprised when I read the names of who was voicing the characters.

• FuseMP

I thought it was a wonderful film with a great story, full of laughs and some real heart. Sure it may not be the epic that Nemo was or be screaming character franchise like Buzz Lightyear but it did what it was supposed to do, it entertained to the highest level for 100mins.

Anyone who calls this movie a dissapointment needs to take their heads out of the books and look at this movie for what it is and notice that a movie will of this standard will still be being watched and bought by new audiences in 25 years time when many of the bigger box office hits of this year have faded into oblivion (cough*harrypotter*cough). But I hope this does become a smash at teh box office just to prove everyone wrong.

• Minion

I beyond LOVED the movie, and want to comment more about what I loved about it, however what I wanted to ask right now is if anyone else drew a corrolation between the Gustaeu-brand frozen dinners and the Disney direct-to-video sequels...
    Spoiler
    ...particularly the scene in which the dinners are torched and the newspaper shows that the line has been discontinued. I thought that this represented the Pixar folks feelings about cheapening the Disney brand, which has now culminated in the discontinuation of the DTVs.

I took this a little further and thought that perhaps Gusteau was a Walt-like figure, Chef Skinner, with his Lord Farquaad-like stature, was another Eisner stand in, Gusteau's restaurant was WDFA's hand drawn animation (especially since it was shuttered at the end) and the bistro was Pixar.

Also, Remy "stole my heart", even though he also "stole" my beaver artist character's name (mine is spelled "Remi", recent pic I did of him: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/58241370/), so he must have been a really great character.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast