View Poll Results: Was 'Ratatouille' to your taste? (Vote ONLY if you have seen the movie)

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars Merci beaucoup! Pixar has delighted my palette!

111 71.15%
  • 4 Stars Delicious and send over the dessert tray

33 21.15%
  • 3 Stars Slightly overcooked but enjoyable still

7 4.49%
  • 2 Stars Mildly amusing with a hint of humor

3 1.92%
  • 1 Star Drive-Thru Only

1 0.64%
  • I don't like foreign films but love french fries

1 0.64%
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Ratatouille' official Mice Chat Revues

What a treat- It's like ordering dessert first! Resistance is futile and foolish.

Pixar has not only outdone themselves but overstuffed ever so delicately a unique visual and emotional feast. The Paris setting of 'Ratatouille' is so fully realized, as is every ingredient of this film, you can almost taste the textures themselves. Brad Bird and company have given us the next big step up.

'Ratatouille' fires on every burner from Michael Giacchino's light and airy score to the glorious voice cast. Comedian Patton Oswalt's Remy is just the right choice for a humble hero, Ian Holm is just grand, *Artist Lou Romano's Linguini is adorable beyond words, Brad Garrett in his biggest Pixar role yet is touching and indispensable and all ego aside, the truly great Peter O'Toole is très magnifique. His mere presence elevates the film beyond expectations.

My favorite words to be able to use in a restaurant when ordering are, "surprise me'.
    This film certainly did. And will at each future sitting.

*Crazy cool artwork from Lou Romano

Last edited by ALIASd; 06-28-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add link

Re: 'Ratatouille' officier Mice Chat Revues

I did not know what to expect when going to go see a movie about a rat who wants to become a chef. Being a fan of PIXAR and looking at some early animated sequences it was just something I had to see.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of detail, humor, and heart that this film contained. Loveable characters, thrilling action sequences, and stunning animation made this film a winner for me. Surprising, considering the history behind the production of this film but it exceeded my expectations and I cannot wait to see it again.

5:5

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I was given the chance to see this wonderful movie last night and all I can say is WOW! The animation is taken to a whole new level in this film. I had a hard time believing it wasn't all actual real sets. I feel like I really did get to see the lights of Paris.

The characters are some of the most touching and appealing I've seen in a Pixar move in a while. I just loved our little hero Remy with his big dreams and postitive attitude. And our intrepid Linguini is just as cute as can be. Anton Ego (Peter O'Toole) was just too much fun as the droll food critic.

I went to see this movie not knowing anything about it at all, other than it was a Pixar movie and it was about a rat. I came out of it feeling like I had just witnessed a new classic to add to the Disney/Pixar library. It was a pure joy to watch and I would wholeheartedly recommend this movie to anyone and everyone.

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Thanks for the poll and MiceChatter's comments. I look forward in seeing it on 6/29/07.

Re: 'Ratatouille' official Mice Chat Revues

I am a huge fan of the Pixar movies, but for me this one left me a little flat. The Remy character was okay, Linguine and Anton Ego characters were not developed enough as the antagonists. The family sequences were rather dull, some scenes could have been a bit shorter. With that said, the animation quality was spectacular and it was an enjoyable film. Not one I would call classic, but movie you won't feel cheated going to see. If you are a Disney or Pixar fan I am sure you will enjoy.

Now from the two 10 year olds that were with us, they thought it was one of the best movies ever, gave it a ten out ten stars and said we must purchase it when in comes out in DVD.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I had the same feelings as Mr.Lightyear999, but the more I thought about the movie and the scenes today I began to like it more and more. Possiblity for a second viewing to firm up my opinions. Maybe because I'm a Disney fan and a Food Network fan.........hummm??!!

All the kids loved it..............Never a doubt in their minds!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

This is my review after seeing it with MySpace on monday....

Alright well, to start off, I meant to post this last night, but we got home so late that all I could do was go to bed.

We got there about 5:30, with a line of about 30 people in front of us, so we were pretty hopeful about getting in. After awhile, the Myspace people came around and checked profiles and handed out wristbands and what not. We hung out on some steps into the theatre for a little while longer, then finally, they began letting us in. I was shocked that we were wand-ed on the way in. I figured they'd be super hardcore about cameras and what not, but i wasn't expecting something attributed to airport searches (but they had it down much faster then DIA, that's for sure). So we got in and got pretty decent seats, having to move about 4 times to make room for others. Then it was pretty sad, because the theatre filled up fast, and about 100 people didn't get in to see the movie. The myspace people found 2 chairs for a couple that had driven from New Mexico to see the show, but no sitting in the aisle and what not for those who really wanted to get in.

Spoiler
    So, the movie started with Brad Bird telling us that we were the first official audience screening (not us, per say, but all 3 cities). We then got a DVD feature, talking about all the comedians who provided the voices for the characters. After that, we got a single preview for WALL-E. It's was actually really cute, starting out with the directors in Hidden City Cafe coming up with most of the Pixar movies, and that the next one would be about a robot. Everyone was pretty excited about it, because it looked pretty cool. And the robot resembled the pilot in Star Tours... connection? After that, Lifted started. Oh my, was it fantastic! It was by far, my favorite short. It was hilarious, continuing in the Pixar tradition of no words, but still being funny. I was trying to think if I really liked it more then Geri's Game and Knick Knack... and I really do! I was pleased, and luckily, didn't feel stupid clapping with the rest of the audience (Nerdfest 2007, my fiance insisted.)

And finally, the movie started. I'm not going to give a lot of details, and I'm only putting this in the black box just in case nobody wants to know. It was amazing. I can't even really say what was so good about it. The plot was really cute, and there was a lot of references about other movies (one guy insisted on a tribute to Chris Farley... But I wasn't seeing it. Brian Dennehy played Remy's Dad, a motorbike in the movie was a Callahan, and Brian Dennehy also played Tommy Boy's dad, Thomas Callahan. I'm not sure if it was on purpose. But knowing Pixar, it might have been.) I think I was so busy looking for the usual Pixar sightings that I missed holding more of the plot in my mind.

Oh, but I have to squee a little about one scene. So when Remy comes up from the sewers via Gueateau's suggestion, he finds himself outside of the restaurant, and both are surprised where they find themselves. Remy goes inside after watching Linguini absolutely ruin a soup, and my goodness, the whole rest of this scene could have come directly out of a dark ride at DL. And I'm hoping it will be a ride at DL or WDW. It was almost like being on Mr. Toads or even Monsters a little. The angles of the shots, with the dramatic drops and almost misses and everything was great. It probably is almost as good, if not as good, as the door factory scene in Monsters.

Overall, this movie was one of the best Pixar has put out. I know that plenty of people didn't like Cars (even though I did), but this redeems itself in every way. Not only was it very cute, there were plenty of the classic Pixar jokes meant only for adults. If you don't like this movie, you are a little crazy, in my book. My boy and I are already planning on seeing it again. And there isn't anything cute after the credits, but man, are the credits worth sitting through. Very well done, I felt.

And it was nice to find out why the movie was called Ratatouille.

If you were sceptical about this movie, don't be. It's worth the trip to the movies to see. Well done, Brad Bird and Pixar.

Well, there you have it. My review of the latest Pixar movie.

Now I'm going to do some Remy inspired cooking....
    Last edited by serenityandroses; 06-27-2007 at 07:41 AM.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I saw it today at the "special" sneak preview:

I really did enjoy it a lot. I didn't feel like a PIXAR film though for some reason. I mean there were a couple scenes where I got those lovely PIXAR Shivers(TM) (You know the ones where something monumental happens Buzz and Woody Flying, The incredibles pulling together, even the end of Meet the Robinsons, etc)
    Remy was absolutely adorable!! I'm going to have to go get one at work soon (The Disney Store )
    I was genuinely laughing through most of the film
    I thought the voice talent was very well cast (Had I not read it before i wouldn't have known Collette was Janean Garafello (sp?))
    It made me very hungry throughout!
    The one scene with the rats in the window was a bit disturbing

Overal, I enjoyed it a lot!!
    Also I think it wins the award for the most awkward Disney movie kiss ever!!! ^_^

• white and nerdy

Just got back from seeing it, a few things first to note:

1. As mentioned, the visuals in this movie are amazing. But more than that, for me anyway, was the audio. It's very rare when the sound in a movie impresses me, but everything from the skitter of the rat's feet to thunder to sauces boiling, it sounded fantastic, more realistic than real life. The music was very nice as well.

2. I don't know if a lot of people are going to like this film. The story has several threads and layers that the average "Let's go to the movie and turn off our brain" person won't understand or care for. In many ways the depth of this film has more in common with a graphic novel where subtle details are used to give large hints to character development, setting, and the like.

3. The food looks amazing. It's interesting that we accept so much in animation, but that's because the characters and cars and many of the settings have a stylized, cartoony look, but the food looks like real food from the way cheese crumbles to the oil shimmering on the surface of a sauce. It made me so hungry.
    Now for the story:
    Spoiler

Remy seems to be the typical "I have an impossible dream that I'll achieve through pluck and determination" that's been seen in tons of Disney Cartoons, but there is a emotional and moral depth to him that makes him stand apart. The ideas of family vs dream are brought up, including the ethics of abandoning either side in favor of the other. Neither side is seen as good or bad entirely as Remy's responsibility to family is tested against his love of cooking. His father's worry and distrust of the humans is completely justified, while his dream being a chef is also justified, and the two seem incompatible.
    Cooking makes a surprisingly appropriate analog for a story about following dreams. The conflict between Remy, who has the talent, and Linguini who has the face is, again, morally deep and the stuff of good stories. Also, the question of selling a talent out for the cheap buck is brought up. There were a few times I wondered how they would provide a happy ending, but they did.
    Many characters go through an appropriate change that has you rooting for them, though not all of them do. A realism that sometimes, when the chips are down, people you thought were your friends will leave you, which makes the undercurrents of the importance of family much more pertinent.
    Much like the subject of the movie, the movie itself seems to break a lot of rules: There is an abundance of internal dialog, which is suppose to be a no-no, the main character is not only a rat, but a rat that makes some questionable decisions. Linguini starts out as an apathetic wannabe who transforms into a power crazy jerk, (before learning the lesson), there are a lot of very drastic moments of suspension of belief (pulling hair being able to manipulate the body for one). But like the food Remy cooks, it works and it works well.

bottom line, I loved it. one to ten I'd give it a 9.5. Not only one of Pixar's best, but one of the best cartoons I've ever seen. I hope that future cartoons can break out of the "Shrek" rut of simple gags and stock characters to present a more complex and entertaining show like this, but, again, I doubt it will do very well. Too complex and leveled for the average cartoon lover, but it will be part of my movie collection for sure (and I don't buy many movies).
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    but, again, I doubt it will do very well.
    Should we revisit this one in a few weeks?
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I also just got back from a sneak preview. First of all, I wonder...were theaters packed in other places? As soon as I saw the ad on TV for the sneak, I made sure to get to the theater in Ventura by Friday to make sure I coud get a ticket.

We even got to the theater extra early...as it turned out, the theater was only about 2/3 full for the showing.

In any event, this film is a hit by any measure. It is cute, adorable, funny, sophisticated - I agree with TJL...it's one of Pixar's best efforts. Like several have already commented, the animation is so good that at times you have to remind yourself that you are not watching a regular motion picture.

It's even educational...you learn at one point about the various titles people have in a kitchen, and what they mean. The kitchen scenes at the French restaurant were so realistic that I expected Gordon Ramsay or the guy from Dinner:Impossible on the Food Netwok to show up at any minute.

Question:

Spoiler
    One question from Kathleen and me...in the first scene with Anton Ego the food critic, is there a kind of coffin shape to the room? Seems that there were some portraits in there reminiscent of those in the Haunted Mansion's "stretching" room. Certainly a Tim Burton-esque kind of feel.

The people that did come out to our showing laughed throughout, and there were loud ovations at various points where you'd expect them...especially at the end.

And one verey cutely dressed little girl...maybe four or five years old...let us know what she felt in no uncertain terms...announcing to the crowd..."that was the coolest movie EVER!"

I dont know about that, but it certainly is entertainment that will have you coming back for more.

As I told the survey person camped outside the theater...definitely a big two thumbs up.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Question:

Spoiler
    One question from Kathleen and me...in the first scene with Anton Ego the food critic, is there a kind of coffin shape to the room? Seems that there were some portraits in there reminiscent of those in the Haunted Mansion's "stretching" room. Certainly a Tim Burton-esque kind of feel.

Spoiler
    I definitely saw the coffin shape of the room. And although I missed the portraits, I overheard a woman whisper to her date "there's your Disneyland reference" during the same scene. I have been trying to figure out what she meant exactly so this could possibly answer my question.

• 'Ohana means family...

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    Spoiler
    I definitely saw the coffin shape of the room. And although I missed the portraits, I overheard a woman whisper to her date "there's your Disneyland reference" during the same scene. I have been trying to figure out what she meant exactly so this could possibly answer my question.
    Spoiler
    The back side of the typewriter looks like a skull, too.

• keh!

LOVED IT. i couldn't stop talking about it when my friends and i got out of the theater. the story was wonderful, it was such an amazing movie, kept me anticipating the next scene and the scene after that.

KUZCOCHICK:

hmmm, i really got that "pixar" feeling...
    Spoiler
    at the end when they show a new kitchen that was especially made for Remy's access, and the fact that they named it from his inspiration.

i can't wait to see this one again June 29, a 10/10 for me.

• done

I saw the sneak tonight at DTD Anaheim. Overall, I liked the film, and it was quite well received by the audience, with a lot of laughter throughout and applause at the end. I'm seeing it again at the El Capitan on the 29th since we've had those tickets for some time now, but I couldn't resist the sneak. I liked this film a lot better than "The Incredibles" and "Cars", which I know I'll get screamed at for, but neither of those two films did that much for me, even though most everyone else seems to have really liked them.

The biggest problem for me was getting over the rat protagonist and how it plays out in some scenes.

Spoiler
    Mickey is one thing - he's not really a rat. But Remy and Emile et al are supposed to be more like real rats, and no matter how much you might feel for Remy, the several scenes of the multitude of rats - when they all come crashing down from the chandelier in the woman's house, when they come pouring out of the stock room in the restaurant, when they're all cooking after the kitchen staff has quit - just really kind of creeped me out, especially in the context of food. The mice in "Cinderella" were one thing - there weren't that many of them, and they were stylized, and they were sewing, not around food. The scenes in this film where there were a ton of rats just reminded me too much of "Willard", which I don't think was what they were going for.

I loved that in the credits

Spoiler
    they listed the chefs of Pixar. I also noticed a thank you to Anthony Bourdain, of "Kitchen Confidential" fame.

Regarding the teaser trailer that was originally released,

Spoiler
    I did think it was interesting that pretty much nothing in the teaser trailer was actually in the film.

I thought it was really interesting that Michael Giacchino did the music for this, but I didn't realize he had also done the music for "The Incredibles", so I guess it makes more sense since both films are done by Brad Bird.

They played a short called "Lifted" before the movie, and I loved it. (Oh, and Michael Giacchino did the music for that too.) I loved how it starts and then the twists that it goes through. I think this is my next favorite after "For the Birds". OK, wait, third favorite, because my second favorite is probably "The ChubbChubbs".

Oh, and they showed a teaser for the Pixar film to be released next summer called "Wall-E". OK, so most of the teaser was almost about the continuing development of Pixar, and they only showed a tiny bit of the footage from the movie, but it didn't do anything for me at all. I'd have to see a full trailer to get a better idea.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast