Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    13

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    I would not expect to see Cirque du Soliel leave Downtown Disney entirely. Instead, info out there suggests them performing a different Cirque show at DTD.

    For instance, it is quite likely that an existing, long-running Cirque show from Las Vegas will be leaving Sin City within the next two years--presenting an opportunity for it to be moved to Orlando.

  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Queen Creek, AZ 396.17 miles away!!!!
    Posts
    63

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    We had a DisneyQuest here in Arizona, but it changed hands shortly after it was open. My sister was a nanny and had season passes to DQ and thought it was neat.
    Jeff

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    2.) Don't expect any Disney response to be successful. Disney still hasn't learned that people come to Disney resorts because they are destinations. An African-themed hotel with an indoor water park and one ride won't draw folks like DL or WDW. It won't necessarily canabalize them either. But Disney will soon come to the same economic conclusion it did a decade ago with DRE concepts from Disney Quest to Club Disney to Mickey's Kitchen to even the one survivor -- ESPN Zone -- they don't work.
    I agree, but with the slight caveat that the Great Wolf Lodge concept is pretty successful. We spent a few days in Williamsburg, VA and my kids loved GWL. I think the trick is that Disney would just about have to buy GWL and convert the properties to Disney theming (which wouldn't be that hard to do) to make it work. Otherwise, the concept (at least as Kevin described it) is too redundant with what's already out there.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Great article Kevin. One thing about the Pixar characters coming in though. You said that there are some purists that would rather see Disney use their own characters from their own movies. I agree with your thoughts that this a dumb argument. Disney does now own Pixar and should rightly integrate them into the parks.

    I think that the bitterness from fans, like myself, comes from the overuse of these characters. It has seemed that from the last few years every new attraction save for a few has been Pixar-themed.

    Personally, I like most of the Pixar rides, but there are some instances where I would have liked to see a different character used. Nemo to date has a ride in every park (I think) and is about 4 years old or so. However more classic characters, like The Little Mermaid which is 20 in 2009, have yet to see a ride in the states. So I think a lot of the dislike for Pixar and even the word "Pixarification" itself stems from Pixar saturation in the parks. Just move on to something else!

  5. #35

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,357

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    But Disney will soon come to the same economic conclusion it did a decade ago with DRE concepts from Disney Quest to Club Disney to Mickey's Kitchen to even the one survivor -- ESPN Zone -- they don't work.
    The success or failure of each of these projects really depends entirely on the respective concepts. The problem is that I don't believe Imagineering necessarily has the capability to present initiatives that are truly original and clever, and I know that Jay Rasulo is not wise enough to proceed with this strategy in the right way. I will say, though, that Parks and Resorts is doing exactly the right thing by abandoning the Plant-the-Flag strategy Paul Pressler adopted that would have put castles on every street corner around the world.

    Seeking growth through smaller projects that don't compete directly with the international travel destinations is the right course of action.

  6. #36

    • ...TWO BITS!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, USA
    Posts
    3,247

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    A bit mixed on LBE. Interesting it's a response to the Nickelodeon Hotels/GWL. Not sure about the similairities to Buffalo Bill's. That hotel has a roller coaster, ride simulator, interactive log ride, gambling, and maybe something else. It varies on attractions. I think if Disney was to build its LBE, it would also include D, C, B, & A ticket rides so there's still something for everyone.

    The Backlot Tour could definately go. Lots of room and just not very repeatable as USH's.

    A Monster, Inc. ride with Soarin' technology?? No thanks, not another Star Tours/ Body Wars mistake. I'd like the family-friendly inverted roller coaster, thank you.

    1 entry & exit for Pixarland? No thanks. Disneyland did that originally then eventually grew to have more pathways. And the lands are still able to be immersive.

    What if IOA's ski show was a lagoon show version of Waterworld . They kinda did it for Miami Vice at USF, didn't they?

    PS- I knew some of the article what was fact, speculation, and just plain fun read... mostly taking them as grains of salt. But still, kind of a poor article.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 06-20-2007 at 11:16 AM.

    "You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

    "With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

  7. #37

    • Art isn't easy.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    73

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I hate when people refer to the park as "MGM." Of "Disney," "MGM," and "Studios," "MGM" has the least importance and significance. I've always called it "the Studios." However, I believe we are still in the minority.....
    Aw, it'll always be MGM to me, mostly due to my love of old Hollywood. Not that Disney didn't play a part... but then, wake me when Minnie Mouse stars in The Women and Gone with the Wind.
    - Bill

  8. #38

    • Koubu Pilot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    I hope the LBE concept can be worked out somehow. If there's an E Ticket attraction I can ride on a day off one month and all I have to do is drive to Phoenix, I'd do it.

    It's a little vague though. It's hard to tell what attractions they would build. I would hope the theming would be consistent on the property. A little wishful thinking would involve a People Mover tour of the larger properties. Would Disney consider using some of the popular E Tickets from foreign parks? (like Phantom Manor or Pooh's Hunny Hunt) It's obvious some attractions like the Matterhorn wouldn't be duplicated.

  9. #39

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I largely agree with what Bill posted so I won't add anything else at this point.
    You're going to end up in his sig again.

  10. #40

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    2.) Don't expect any Disney response to be successful. Disney still hasn't learned that people come to Disney resorts because they are destinations. An African-themed hotel with an indoor water park and one ride won't draw folks like DL or WDW. It won't necessarily canabalize them either. But Disney will soon come to the same economic conclusion it did a decade ago with DRE concepts from Disney Quest to Club Disney to Mickey's Kitchen to even the one survivor -- ESPN Zone -- they don't work.
    It's the Indian casino philosophy. Everyone in business here was scared of the tribal casinos until they realized that they lure people here, not give people reasons to avoid coming here.

    Disney wants to build similar outlying properties to lure tourists to it's... Uh.... Strips.

  11. #41

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    You're going to end up in his sig again.
    I'm such a sig whore!

  12. #42

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    There's also a very good reason that they're looking into building Disney attractions outside Disney environments: 64 Worlds Fair. Did more for the company's theme park development than any other time in history.

    Of course, that's largely because it was purchased with other people's money.

  13. #43

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,641

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz View Post
    Here's the scoop on Disney's "Location-Based Entertainment" that's coming to a city near you; what may be behind the Disney/MGM/Pixar name change game, and a review of Islands of Adventure new lagoon show. Discuss it all here!
    Kevin.. you should research 'Great Wolf Lodge'. As you referenced Nick Studios as an example.. you should really look at GWL as it is a much better example.

    They have AA shows, heavily themed rooms and areas.. including 'quests' with interactive displays that are Disney-esque for the kids to explore areas of the hotel for... Indoor water parks.. and disney-like pricing to boot!

    Go look at their room options and photos of the parks, etc. Its a very Disney-copy type of destination.

    And it too tries to make a 'get away.. close to home' type of pitch to customers.

  14. #44

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,344

    Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    If I report something, I report it. If I'm letting my mind come up with ideas, that stays in a separate place. Not all mixed together.
    While I disagree with your overall tone, Bill, I do agree with the above. Kevin does enjoy the speculation, and if you're not careful you're left with the impression that StarWarsLand is right around the corner. I do wish he could separate the facts from the conjecture. Mixed in as it all is, it's sometimes hard to determine what's fact and what's Kevin's daydreams.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Lookin' good in the neighborhood
    By Taking Back London in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
  2. School and Neighborhood info
    By tayakaleb in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 06:03 AM
  3. Mr. Eisner's new CNBC neighborhood
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 07:07 PM
  4. Global Neighborhood
    By BackIntoYourSystem in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •