Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

Here's the scoop on Disney's "Location-Based Entertainment" that's coming to a city near you; what may be behind the Disney/MGM/Pixar name change game, and a review of Islands of Adventure new lagoon show. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

Awesome article as usual, Al. I'll post more of my opinion later. just wanted to be first mposter to react.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Excellent article. I would be extremely excited about a Lucasland. Pixar land also has a lot of potential, but I am more excited about the potential Lucasland. Hopefully Pixar land will not consist of a bunch of A-Tickets like Flik's Fun Fair at DCA. In both Pixar land and Lucas land we need A-grade(not A-Ticket, A-Grade) attractions. With a couples of great E-Tickets based on Indiana Jones, then a couple of great E-Tickets based on Star Wars, plus Star Tours, then Lucasland itself will be better than all of the current Universal. Pixar land also needs a couple of E-Tickets.

Imagine so many awesome Lucas and Pixar attractions, plus the Tower of Terror all in one park. Yeah, Universal would be screwed.

• She was sweet as a peach

I think Pixarlandia sounds great. But as the mother of a 2 year old, I don't want to lose the Playhouse Disney characters. They do their meet and greets on Mickey Ave. My daughter loves to see JoJo and The Little Einsteins and we have yet to see Handy Manny but heard there is a walk-a-bout charater for him.

I thought Sea World's Hatfield and McCoy ski show had a pretty good story line. Of course I was eight at the time.

I would like to know where the hell you got the rumor that La Nouba would be closing. I have not heard that anywhere. I have seen it 6 times over the years and it has been a full house everytime. If they were having such a hard time selling tickets they wouldn't have raised ticket prices last year.

La Nouba closing Nooooooooo!!!

Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

• Fastpass Hater

Will someone at Disney hire this guy?

I also agree that that backstage area is a tremendous waste of space since it's not a real, functioning studio. And how many times can you see Catastrophe Canyon? I think I've taken the tour 3 times since 1990, there's just not a lot of replay value. And do kids even know what "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" is anymore?

Great Article, but you completely missed mentioning the already operating and growing "Great Wolf Lodge". Operating here in the midwest and growing by leaps and bounds.

Great Wolf Lodge is a micro theme park and hotel combo facility for weekend trips for families who can't get to WDW or DL. I'm not saying it comes close to the quality of Disney.

Lets face it... Disney would only invest in something like this when they feel threatened. Great Wolf Lodge could be the next Chuckie Cheese in scale.

• The one, the only...

I wish that they would drop the word "studios" form the name. It is not a real studio. I would rather have a park themed to movie adventures. Adding Pixar and Lucas movies would be natural then. I like the concepts you have Kevin, but I am concerned with present WDW decision making. They don't seem to get what is the best design. All they seem to be able to do is determine what is the cheapest option and do it.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• I'm Engaged!!!!!

WOW, It would be awesome to have the park divided into 3 sections (pixar, lucas, classic hollywood)
    This is remarkably similar to my idea for the park http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67815
    With "Uncle John" in control the future of this park is very promising
    wishesjake and SleepingBeauty867

I would love to have a Disney hotel with waterpark and ride near me. They could have specials for locals to stay a night during slow times.

I love the idea of Pixarland at MGM. Opening up all that land mentioned int he article makes sense. The backlot tour needs to go. I would also love a Lucasland. So much potential there. They could also have a mini-Muppets land with the 3D show and a ride or 2. I don't think a full fledged Muppets land would work, but a mini land would. This park could easily become the number 2 park with these additions and possibly number 1 if MK doesn't get any new E-tickets soon.

• Theme Park Advocate

Also not to mention that Nickelodeon/Marrott is attempting to nudge its way into the Southern Cali venue with one of their resorts feeling that the same reason that Disney would succeed with the LBE's in non-tourist locations, it would be even more popular in tourist friendly locals.

article about the future Nickelodeon Hotel
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont..._1b2water.html
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: 6/19: There Goes the Neighborhood

I guess the Universal lagoon show has variable crowds.

"We arrived at the lagoon with 15 minutes to go, every inch of the viewing area already packed with spectators."

From theme park insider's review.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

I too was going to mention Great Wolf Lodge. As it turns out, my family and I stayed at one for the first time this past weekend. I was amazed by just how much they aped Disney. Obviously, someone spent some time studying the Wilderness Lodge before designing this place.

Incidentally, I liked GWL. It was perfect for the weekend getaway we had in mind. Grandparents and grandkids came along and there was plenty for everybody. No one had to travel and while it was an expensive weekend it was a relatively cheap vacation. I'd love to see what Disney would do with the concept as it would no doubt put GWL to shame.

No one would like to see Disney extend their partnership with Lucasfilm more than I would. But it doesn't look like that's something that's likely to happen in the immediate future. At this point, I'd be satisfied with a retooled or greatly refurbished Star Tours.

Pixar Studios could be great. Here's hoping that Disney is thinking on the same grand scale you are. MGM needs something of this scope.

Oh, one other thing:

Disney should be expanding their use of Playhouse Disney in the parks. On our last trip, Little Einsteins and Jo-Jo were a big hit.

They should easily be able to update the Playhouse Disney Live show if necessary. Although I don't know that it is necessary. Bear in the Big Blue House, Stanley and Jo-Jo's Circus are all still on Playhouse Disney. The Pooh show is gone, but it has been replaced by a different Pooh show. I doubt the Playhouse Disney crowd is complaining.

We saw walk-around characters for Handy Manny, the Einsteins, Stanley and Jo-Jo and Goliath. We attended the Playhouse Disney breakfast. And we went to Playhouse Disney Live. And we could still have done more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast