Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

6/25: Could-ah, Should-ah

Before Harry moves in, Guest Columnist Alain Littaye shares some original Islands of Adventure concept art. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Pirate - G'har!

Re: 6/25: Could-ah, Should-ah

Great park and in some ways a different style to Disney in that Disney would never put a major coaster in the middle of a land and then call it 'Hulk' or whatever, the rides are immersive and well-themed, not that Hulk isn't a great thrill experience but it is a roller coaster in the middle of a lake. Some of that concept art seems optimistic lol. Spiderman rocks!

• Banned User

Best part of The Hulk and Dr Doom are the queue. Those robots in Doom's queue frighten me every time, and I'm getting old too!

GREAT article.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Like concept cars, the final attraction seldom lives up to the artist's conceptions.
    Don't believe the hype!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Great article, Alain! Loved the pictures.

I'm a big Disney theme park fan, but still love Universal's IOA. Its a fantastic park.

Question for anyone out there that might know - in the concept art for Dr. Doom's Fearfall, there is a rollercoaster that snakes around the tower. Was this the original plan for 'Hulk' or is it a different coaster that was scrapped? If 'Hulk', perhaps Dr. Doom's was originally slated to be in the middle of that coaster, as opposed to its current placement?

Blog Entries

The coaster you see is the concept art for the hulk. I don't know what changes in location were planned compared to what we have now however.

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Great article but it makes you think why a park with great theming like this still falls behind the Disney parks in attendance.Is it just the list of attractions being mostly teen based or are theme park fans keeping away due to the park striking resembulance to that of any other local Six Flags park.As the first thing you view the minute you arrive is the Hulk Coaster and that Tower of Doom ride.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Earth Intruder

Great article, loved those concept drawings.

When I was in Orlando last October, I was WAY more impressed with IoA than I was with any of the Disney parks, not only because of the impressive visuals but because the CMs there were much MUCH friendlier and enthusiastic than the Disney Employees. I could have easily spent another day there instead of MGM (which, to me, ranks on par with DCA).
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Great article, loved those concept drawings.

When I was in Orlando last October, I was WAY more impressed with IoA than I was with any of the Disney parks, not only because of the impressive visuals but because the CMs there were much MUCH friendlier and enthusiastic than the Disney Employees. I could have easily spent another day there instead of MGM (which, to me, ranks on par with DCA).
    They were just nicer to you cause you're so cute!

My sister went to IOA this weekend and said the place literally stunk.

• ...TWO BITS!

I think I would have to say I was more impressed by IOA than Disney-MGM a little more, too. We kept repeating Dueling Dragons, Spider-Man, and Popeye's. Sinbad I thought was really cool. BTW, glad to have posted the videos. It's a shame it's not getting as many views as I would think. Just glad to have seen it live and recorded it once.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

IOA is a vastly underrated park.

The theming is inspired and clever. (SuessLand is a sight to beholdl! Way better than ToonTown or Fantasyland.) The CM's are nice and friendly. Spiderman is the best dark ride ever built. Dueling Dragons is great. Hulk is insane. The Sinbad show is first-rate. It's hard to say anything bad about this park.

If IOA were at WDW, it would be the Number #2 park after the Magic Kingdom. You agree?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Cool pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    Like concept cars, the final attraction seldom lives up to the artist's conceptions.
    Don't believe the hype!
    What are you referring to? Most of this art looks exactly like the finished product.

• Pirate - G'har!

But they still just plonk a roller caster down I think, at least with Disney there's an explanation for why you can see tracks and cars and things. It's a different kind of theme park, like a SixFlags park with extraordinary theming and one or two fantastic rides. (don't get me wrong I love IoA)

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    But they still just plonk a roller caster down I think, at least with Disney there's an explanation for why you can see tracks and cars and things. It's a different kind of theme park, like a SixFlags park with extraordinary theming and one or two fantastic rides. (don't get me wrong I love IoA)
    They don't "plonk" a roller coaster down. Dueling Dragons has one of the best queues ever created.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast