Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Closed Account

C-Z, it is widely believed that the system is a prelude to having completely automatic control of the trains; i.e., a computer will shut off the engine if there is a problem. This type of automation is despised by the crews.

• Closed Account

And thanks, Gibbage...that was part of my plan!

Wow! The Ward Kimball #5 Lives!

What a GREAT Article about the Ward Kimball #5. As an avid Kimball collector, I can't wait for our trip to the Park July 15-19! I hope to get a picture of myself with the Ward Kimball to add to my Kimball Collection!

I also look forward to the Ward Kimball #5 coming out in G Scale for my Disneyland Model Railroad!

I only met Ward once at the Carolwood Pacific Historical Society event at the Ronald Reagan Library. What a gracious man! What an interesting Man! What a Railroad Man!

Casey Jr.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Also, I'm wondering where the roundhouse is at Disneyland, and how large it is.
    RW, the "Roundhouse" (it's not really round, of course) is located behind Tomorrowland/Fantasyland. After you pass the parade crossing just after the train rolls by Small World, look backwards over your left shoulder. You will see a track diverging off into the distance, through the berm, and you will be able to see the four-stall, rectangular roundhouse facility (the Monorails are housed upstairs).

The roundhouse is quite large, able to store four trains on its tracks (each train is about 300 feet long). There is even more storage in the back where cars like the Lilly Belle are kept. The roundhouse is directly across from the Small World show building, so when you are on that ride, you are sometimes mere feet from the roundhouse.

When the park had only two trains, they were stored in a mostly open-air roundhouse behind Frontierland (full enclosure for the engines, pole barn behind for the coaches). When you're going around the Rivers of America on the train, if you look back over your left shoulder again, you can see the boarded up "tunnel" that once led to the old roundhouse.

(Neat trick, huh? Place the storage facilities behind and to the left of the direction of travel. Magicians call it "misdirection." This method is used often in the park: Pirates, IASW, Storybook Land...).

The original roundhouse facility still exists, and today it is called the "Cycle Shop." But it's not for bicycles. The term refers to where ride vehicles are "cycled" through, being rehabbed or painted. The old tracks can still be seen embedded in the pavement there.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Thanks big time Steve -

On my next trip, I'll be looking for the entryways to the old roundhouse, the Cycle Shop, and the new roundhouse. This will be extremely interesting, and I look forward to it. It's fascinating how there always seems to be something new to see, or to learn about, at the park, even when it comes to things that are old.

How cool it is that the monorails are housed in the upper level of the current roundhouse. It must be nicer than where they were housed before, if at all. The "Small World" factoid is interesting to - it really is a "small world after all".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    (Neat trick, huh? Place the storage facilities behind and to the left of the direction of travel. Magicians call it "misdirection." This method is used often in the park: Pirates, IASW, Storybook Land...).
    Disneyland has always been sophisticated, as is evidenced by the use of "misdirection" to hide off-stage areas, and other tricks, such as distorting the perception of structures to make them seem taller, or facades to look real.

• Lord of the Ribs

[QUOTE=Steve DeGaetano]The lineside signals at the stations now only show green, but when the train doesn't load fast enough, the signal blinks, which is actually very annoying at night when you're in the first passenger car./QUOTE]

Well, I'll be darned. We saw that happening, (and yes we were in the front car and it is anoying), and even my 7 year old knew that something was amiss. Are blinking signals common elsewhere? I thought they were simply on or off, red or green.

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BoneDaddy
    Well, I'll be darned. We saw that happening, (and yes we were in the front car and it is anoying), and even my 7 year old knew that something was amiss. Are blinking signals common elsewhere? I thought they were simply on or off, red or green.
    Once, the line was divided into 11 blocks, and most of the signals were just red and green (there was one with a yellow aspect at the Parade Crossing and a yellow one in the diorama, where they couldn't stop because the heat generated by the stack would set the spinklers off).

[SARCASM ON] It was all very complicated. When you saw a red signal, you stopped the train. When it was green, you could move the train. The conductors informed the engine crew when it was safe to move the train from a station stop.[/SARCASM OFF]

Now there are dinging bells and blinking lights, and a computer console in the roundhouse with a diagram of the track layout and, in fact, it's equipped with a large red e-stop button!

Just like railroading in Walt's day...

• Toys 'R' Us Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Now there are dinging bells and blinking lights, and a computer console in the roundhouse with a diagram of the track layout and, in fact, it's equipped with a large red e-stop button!
    I smell legal. Looks like so lawyer is on retainer or being paid site around the TDA building and decided to become proactive. He or she finds a "problem" and tells an engineer it needs to be fixed. Rather than use proven railroad techonogy to sovles this problem (like a emergency cord that when pulled lets all the air out of the brake system and stops the train,) we get ride systems put into 50 to 100 year old steam locomotives.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Blinking Signals, where are we, Austrailia (even though their singals have the sweet turnout indicators)?

Yea it sucks. We live in a world where the lawyers rule, and sutff like this happens. However, I just chalk it up to the fact that it can still exist. Eventually, everything will go full circle, and we'll either be in a relaxed society again, or all dead.

Next thing you know, we'll have an alerter system.
    -Monorail Man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12