Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Kevin thank you for the article.
    The ideas and imaginations seemed stifled by Eisner for DCA. Putting a flood of money into DCA right away to save Eisner's blunder would just cause more Deficit right?
    Probably, since it wasn't built to be flexible. Frankly, I don't see where the money went. For example, why weren't utilidors utilized? Why wasn't the lake built on a base of pipes for a future fountain/fireworks show? Why aren't there any AA's on Grizzly River Rapids?

• Banned User

The comparison between how Eisner and Warren Buffett steered the course of their company is flawed, to say the least.

Let's start by comparing Disney's balance sheet to Berkshire Hathaway's. Oh wait.... Can't be done because Berkshire Hathaway doesn't have a balace sheet. It is a holding company. It sells shares in itself, and uses that money to buy shares in other companies. It has NO hard assets. It is the sum of the shares it holds in other companies....

As a result of having no hard assets, there was never a risk of hostile take over.

Compare this to Disney, a media company, a market segment that was a prime target of hostile take overs. AOL-TimeWarner ring a bell? How about Vivindi-Universal? Or the less known purchase of CBS by Viacom in 1999.... We're ALL aware of Disney's purchase of CapitalCity-ABC in 1995.

Eisner didn't partake in the late 1990s stock bubble just for personal profit. Had he not, 1 of 2 things would have happened.... 1) The stock holders would have replaced him with someone that would. 2) We'd all be lamenting how screwed up the company has gotten since the hostile take over by AOL or Vavindi.

Reading the full series, it seems Kevin missed the #1 point. EPCOT Future World was a bad investment. It generally takes 7-10 years to pay off a ride's construction cost. EPCOT isn't even 25 years old, and already every ride in Future World has been redone, or desperately needs redone.... and has for some time.

Disney can't be profitable having to replace rides every 10-20 years. It needs rides like Pirates, Mansion, Matterhorn, Pan, Toad, Indy.... Rides that are every bit as popular today as they were 2 years after they opened. Rides need to be repeatable!

"Immersion Toward Interesting Illusion" is half right.... The real payoff for the company comes from "Immersion Toward Interesting Illusion... that has a high repeat value and real staying power".

Wander through Yesterland.com and take a peak at all the attractions that have come and gone. People Mover and Country Bears and Inner Space and America Sings and Horizon's may have been Immersion Toward Interesting Illusion, but they lacked the timeless-ness or detail or "magic" necessary to create repeatability and staying power.

For non-E-Tickets, the track record is even worse. Yesterland is packed full of "non-cartoon" based smaller-rides that have come and gone, but hardly a cartoon based one to be found.

And, I've been assured that official company documents filed with the city of Anaheim demonstrate the DCA's construction cost is just under a full $ billion. However, I suspect A LOT of this is imagineering costs of other projects that didn't get built.... $100 million spent on Imagineering Disney's America... Well, we used the raft ride, airport and coaster, so that money was "really" spent on DCA...

As for DTD, Disney paid for the infrastructure (electric, water, sewer, walkways, parking, etc) and the base buildings. The tenants paid for everything from the walls in, plus exterior theming.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    the Hotels are dependant on the parks being worth building so you can't say that the parks arn't to be considered when building a hotel
    DCA is a sucky park, but GCH sells 90%+ of its room/nights. Most hotels struggle to get 50-60% occupancy rate on an annual basis.

DCA is good enough to sell hotel rooms, and that may be exactly what they were aiming for when the park was designed... Hoping for better? Sure. Willing to accept "just good enough to keep the hotels full"? Possibly. If so, DCA, despite being pretty sucky, is doing its job.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I don't stay at that hotel to see DCA, I go to Disneyland. The only thing that hotel has to do with DCA (other than theme selection) is the fact that it was opened with the development. I would be interested to know how many people think of the GCH as their new Disneyland Hotel of choice.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Rock The World

This question is a little off topic, but still relevant. Does anybody know how much it cost to develop and build the Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris? It sufferes from DCA syndrome, only worse, and every person I ask seems to quote a different figure!

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    DCA is a sucky park, but GCH sells 90%+ of its room/nights. Most hotels struggle to get 50-60% occupancy rate on an annual basis.

DCA is good enough to sell hotel rooms, and that may be exactly what they were aiming for when the park was designed... Hoping for better? Sure. Willing to accept "just good enough to keep the hotels full"? Possibly. If so, DCA, despite being pretty sucky, is doing its job.
    the Pier is pretty, I'm sure it's the combination of both parks that helps the Grand Californian do so well (along with the possiblity of people staying there if they go on buisness meetings to the convention center maybe? companies do pay for nice hotels sometimes i dunno)

you'd be suprised what tourist think of DCA (at least ones that haven't been to WDW)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12