• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/1: California Here We Come!

Plus: Reviews of a new Mouse Tales book and the Silly Dreamer movie, More... Discuss this column here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Iron-Clad Allie

California Here We Come! Right Back Where "Yee" Started From!

Hey there Keven -

Can't wait to read your report on how Disneyland under Matt Ouimet compares to your memories as a DL patriot, when the park was kept in pristine shape. Also, I anxiously await your article about the July 17th event. It will roll around quickly.

Dream On Silly Dreamer appears to be a facinating documentary. I have vivid memories of the magical relevance of Disney animation during the 80's and 90's.

Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-01-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Kevin...

Beat you to it. I visited Disneyland in early June. My memories of D-land parallel yours: lots of visits as a kid and 5 years as an attractions CM in the 80's. I think you'll be very pleased... Have fun!

• Minion FOREVER!

Welcome Home, Kevin!

:-)

Eagerly waiting for your opinions on DL now. Also would be interested on your take on the current situation in Food Svc.

• MiceAge Columnist

Good reminder. I definitely will have informed opinions about food service, so I'll keep my eyes open.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Mentat

NIce to see some opinion and heart in your update! Thank you! I am wondering if my Septembr trip will seem "smaller" as well...We shall see. I imagine I;ll cry like ababy at some point...wha t fun!

• Mentat

OK, Damnit! Foodservice and Gems is about to give me a coronary! (sp!) All I really need is a burger or something, right...Geesh!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Kevin -

As you collect your opinions concerning food services, I hope you will observe some of the other departments as well. It would be interesting to compare and contrast how GEMS is instituted around the park, or if a stricter scheduling program is now in place.

I'd also, like to know if the Disneyland is still conducting job fairs, and if turnover in foods is still at an alarming rate. Is it higher than other departments? Lastly, perhaps you can tell us how many restaurants remain closed, if any - and if lines are significantly longer at those that remain open.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-01-2005 at 04:13 PM.

• Mentat

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Lastly, perhaps you can tell us how many restaurants remain closed, if any - and if lines are significantly longer at those that remain open.
    Good request. I am curious if this issue has been inflated as well.

Great article, Kevin!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    Good request. I am curious if this issue has been inflated as well.
    Thanks, cbkonczak. Kevin's observations should proove to be both informative and interesting, in consideration of the controvercy, and heavy debates that have taken place.

• FastPass n00b

Re: 7/1: California Here We Come!

It will be nice to have Kevin writing about Disneyland for the first time in years. It was neat how he gave credit to Greg Emmer. I think a lot of people forget that when Matt first got there, he was very green (he still is in fact) and relegated a lot of theme park nuances to him. I'm almost positive that Greg Emmer has had a major hand in Disneyland's clean up process because Disneyland got a lot of things fixed in a very short amount of time. I believe that without Greg Emmer's help, Matt Ouimet would still be an incredible leader, but it would probably take a lot longer to see Disneyland reverse itself back to 1994. I guess you'd have to be blind to not notice what an eyesore Tomorrowland was, but the level of detail that is going into the clean up and revival of Disneyland just makes it look like someone extremely familiar with the park is working behind the scenes.

I know it's a very minor thing, but I cannot wait until those ugly "mini-berm" rocks come out of Tomorrowland. They don't fit the color scheme or feel of the Land anymore, but most importantly they crowd up the area, make the entrance look terrible, and extend the entrance of Tomorrowland WAY out into the Hub area. I liked when Tomorrowland was tucked behind the PeopleMover track and hidden from view. I am very curious what they will put in their place. I hope they install a planter like before 1998, but the main problem will still be the Astro Orbitor. Once they decide what to do with the Astro Orbitor and those godawful planters surrounding "Cosmic Waves", I think Tomorrowland will look aesthetically better.

• Minion

I shall buy his book at the NFFC

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    It was neat how he gave credit to Greg Emmer. I think a lot of people forget that when Matt first got there, he was very green (he still is in fact) and relegated a lot of theme park nuances to him. I'm almost positive that Greg Emmer has had a major hand in Disneyland's clean up process because Disneyland got a lot of things fixed in a very short amount of time. I believe that without Greg Emmer's help, Matt Ouimet would still be an incredible leader, but it would probably take a lot longer to see Disneyland reverse itself back to 1994.
    It's always a team effort for a crew. They both know what it takes to right this wonderful ship. And they figured out who wasn't on board and needed to be thrown overboard.
    (I'm getting a bit queasy. Be back in a few minutes.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."