Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: 7/17: Resurrections & Returns

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Can't TDA do both? Equally?
    In a perfect world.. where real restrictions don't exist. Sure. But Disney lives in the real world where you can't simply pay everyone what you wish you could. Payroll is murder on your cash flow and never goes down... only up. Combine that with having your hands tied with multiple unions.. its not the type of fun job I'd want to have
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    In a perfect world.. where real restrictions don't exist. Sure. But Disney lives in the real world where you can't simply pay everyone what you wish you could. Payroll is murder on your cash flow and never goes down... only up. Combine that with having your hands tied with multiple unions.. its not the type of fun job I'd want to have
    OK, so you agree it's possible, right!?! (yes, I'm joking.)
    Only one thing worse on cash flow at DL, and that is underpricing the product.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    This really isn't a place for a Constitutional argument kayoss. Besides, most of your arguments have already been argued in court and lost - and that is why drug testing is still legal.
    Doesn't mean it's right. And (of course) I wasn't saying that ride operators could be totally stoned and do their job fine (although, who am I to judge) my argument was more how the issue of self-control, commen sense, and personal responsibility is seemly going to the wayside in favor of more government regulation. If you come stoned to work, that's a problem... OBVIOUSLY. If someone is in a position of safety and is intoxicated they should be fired, without question, at ALL times. But this is a different issue.

The problem I see with drug testing is it can show drugs (like pot, especially) in your blood... many of which have a half-life of several days. The employee could've been on vacation, attended a party days before, who knows... but at the moment of drug testing could very likely be sober. To me, that's a bit intriusive and unfair... especially when a debatably less destrutive drug (if compared to alchohol) like pot is judged equally with heroin and amphetamines. Granted, this is a debate that goes on and on... I'm just not so sure drug testing is really the best way to handle the problem of drug abuse in America and generates not much else but fear and/or resentment in employees who (despite what they do in their off-time) be otherwise 100% dedicated (and sober) at their jobs.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    Doesn't mean it's right. And (of course) I wasn't saying that ride operators could be totally stoned and do their job fine (although, who am I to judge) my argument was more how the issue of self-control, commen sense, and personal responsibility is seemly going to the wayside in favor of more government regulation. If you come stoned to work, that's a problem... OBVIOUSLY. If someone is in a position of safety and is intoxicated they should be fired, without question, at ALL times. But this is a different issue.

The problem I see with drug testing is it can show drugs (like pot, especially) in your blood... many of which have a half-life of several days. The employee could've been on vacation, attended a party days before, who knows... but at the moment of drug testing could very likely be sober. To me, that's a bit intriusive and unfair... especially when a debatably less destrutive drug (if compared to alchohol) like pot is judged equally with heroin and amphetamines. Granted, this is a debate that goes on and on... I'm just not so sure drug testing is really the best way to handle the problem of drug abuse in America and generates not much else but fear and/or resentment in employees who (despite what they do in their off-time) be otherwise 100% dedicated (and sober) at their jobs.

Sometimes, government regulation can help spur self-control, common sense and personal responsibility. When someone feels that something they do may land them in hot water, they may think twice.

If someone’s job depends on their maintaining self control, common sense and personal responsibility, it matters when they do something that is illegal, destructive and potentially hazardous. Drug testing at least puts those issues in mind. If there were no drug testing, then it may take some sort of tragedy before the person actually is faced with dealing with the problem. Those who want to risk their own lives are more than welcome to do so without government intrusion. HOWEVER, as soon as their actions can POSSIBLY affect others, they have no basis for complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Sometimes, government regulation can help spur self-control, common sense and personal responsibility. When someone feels that something they do may land them in hot water, they may think twice.

If someone’s job depends on their maintaining self control, common sense and personal responsibility, it matters when they do something that is illegal, destructive and potentially hazardous. Drug testing at least puts those issues in mind. If there were no drug testing, then it may take some sort of tragedy before the person actually is faced with dealing with the problem. Those who want to risk their own lives are more than welcome to do so without government intrusion. HOWEVER, as soon as their actions can POSSIBLY affect others, they have no basis for complaints.
    Thank you! this was my point when I started this whole thing!

drug testing, Its not a 100% catch-all, but it DOES help.

So, now I can say again. I don't really feel all that safe anymore at DL knowing what AL reported. And I know some of you are thinking, "one less in line, see ya!" Well if putting yourself or youre family at risk is your thing, more power to ya. enjoy.
    I personally am writing a letter to Disney. I would have thought Disney would do everything in their power to keep people safe.
    I don't expect them to give a darn. But at least this consumer has spoken her mind.
    See ya at Knotts!

Sad Re: 7/17: Resurrections & Returns

I want to comment on this "Dream Squad". I usually visit the park about 5 times a year. This entire year I have seen the people walking around with fantasy fastpasses, ect and figured I must be in the wrong locations. Well finnally I saw someone and asked. She told me she did'nt have anything to give out right them but just ask again sometime and told me some hints as to times and places. Sure enough the next day my wife and I were hanging out in the morning near Its A Small World and saw a lady. I engaged her in conversation about the Dreams compaign and about prizes. I didn't actually ask her for anything. She kind of blew us off and then I noticed a few minutes later she gave some fastpasses to some other people. This just made me feel terrible. Why were they better than us? Lets just say my dream were far from coming true. I think there is a problem with giving certian people all the power in this situation and relying on thier own perspectiev on who "deserves" the rewards! Does anyone else have any similiar experiences?

Simple answer Tom - Disney Legal. In order to stave off the possibility of a discrimination lawsuit, the Dream Squad uses randomly generated times and locations to give out their prizes. It might be, just as an example, "Small World exit queue 11:45 - Pin Lanyard."

By randomly assigning the rpizes, no one can claim that they were discriminated against in the reward process. In order to maintain the integrity of the program, Dream Squad Cast Members stick to it.

• Minion

We actually had two dreams fulfilled in one trip by us going up to the Cast Member ourselves. It wasn't even a random thing for them. They weren't doing anything, we asked them the wait on the Sun Wheel and she took us straight through the exit and put us on. The next dream, about an hour later, was granted at DCA and took place with our nephew becoming a Jedi Knight. It was really rather awesome and did an almost 180 on my view of this program.

Quote Originally Posted by Swisskapolka View Post
    I'm glad to hear that the ugly pastel Where Dreams Come True decor came down -- I wasn't looking forward to seeing it when I visit Disneyland next week for our yearly pilgrimage.
    I first saw one of these purple-pink decorations at the entrance to Animal Kingdom, when my husband and I visited WDW last fall. Was it a supposed to be leaves? Wings? It looked strangely un-Disneyish in all of the parks.

Back home, imagine my surprise at seeing this stuff appear on my own home turf! I'm very relieved to see that Disneyland has gotten rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Sleeping Beauty Castle... AL I LOVE YOU! What more can I say?! The news of its return has made this MiceChatter the happiest man on earth. Disney, forget everything I said about you in the past. If you bring back Sleeping Beauty Castle... I will love you FOREVER!

Calmer...

Calmer...

Calmer...

Oh, who is kidding who? I CAN'T CALM DOWN!

YAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Heh heh.....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd like to address the WDW quality issue, as we just made our first trip there last year. We lowered our expectations for attractions that are also at Disneyland, based on what we had heard, and thoroughly enjoyed those that are unique to WDW. We found all of the park settings to be quite beautiful. Didn't notice any lack of upkeep, but then we were taking in a lot at once.

What impressed us the most were the cast members. Maybe we're just used to a faster pace, but they seemed so friendly and unhurried. They really made our time there special.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910