Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: 7/17: Resurrections & Returns

This rather special map/sign can be found hidden away on the grounds of the Disneyland

While I may not be the most Spatial person on the planet (or, maybe I am...), it took me a couple of seconds to orient myself to this map; does anybody else find it odd that this map is "upside down"?
    'North' is at the bottom of the map, with 'South' at the top - usually a 'no-no' for cartographers... or is this "The View Of The Resort As Seen From the TDA Building" ? (Heck - even 4th Graders would know how to lay out a proper map...).

Thank you for the excellent report; I am just as excited as most everyone else to find that the Sleeping Beauty Diarama / Walk-Thru is / may be re-opening! One of those special spots in the Park that I love to take first-timers...

• Defying gravity

Re: 7/17: Resurrections & Returns

Great update once again, Al, thanks!

What exactly is John Lassetter's official job title/description?

• Defying gravity

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, for the most part, doesn't WDW not have these CM issues?

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Money doesn't buy employees... it only makes it easier to work there.
    Make Disney the best place to work... people will line up to work there, even if the pay is not the top.
    Working for the Park used to be the best job to have on your resume. It used to be the kind of job that even if you just graduated high school and worked at the Park for 6 months, people were impressed because you were one of the few hand picked CMs to work at D-land. You were the chosen few who were a sterling example of a spectacular work ethic, positive attitude, and cheerful employee.

Now the Park will hire anyone who walks into the Job Fair? It makes me so angry to hear that. And so far no one has figured there may be a problem??!!

Being a former CM, I know how tough it can be to work at D-land. You work crummy hours, you pay those stupid union dues, you deal with the Angry Guest/Drunk Guest/Stupidly Annoying Gues, you are required to paste a happy face no matter what, and wear a polyblend costume that usually never fits right. It's not the dream job but its not ANY worse than working the line at In & Out, working retail at Wet Seal, or running the cash register at Macy's. But why work there when Disney offers $7.75 and In & Out offers $12? Because you love Disney?

Its so frustrating that all of us know the answer to the HR problems and still people paid to do the job at Disney's HR can't figure it out? Maybe instead of replacing all the CMs in the Park, maybe its time to replace all the HR people.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo View Post
    But why work there when Disney offers $7.75 and In & Out offers $12? Because you love Disney?
    The starting wage for In & Out is a minimum of $9.50. Not $12.

• Pilot EdForceOne

If you switch jobs everytime someone offers you a little more money... you'll be a sad person in the long haul.

Just ask all those people that left their 'happy' job just because someone lured them with the thoughts of IPO.. big payoffs.. and reward just to have the world crash down around them... or find out their boss was crummy and a crook, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

>>What exactly is John Lassetter's official job title/description?<<

I think it's Chief Creative Officer for The Walt Disney Company.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Yaaaaay! Except for the whole cast member issue. That's just frustrating. I would go work for them, but I learned last year: never work at a place where you would normally spend the night in a hotel when visiting. Otherwise, yaaaay!!! Great article!
    Oo-de-lally!

"In an attempt to stem the tide, Human Resources is now trying out ways to not hold the new hires accountable for their actions during their first month on the job in an attempt to get them to stick around a bit longer. For the first 30 days on the job, new Cast Members no longer get marked late when they are tardy for a scheduled shift. While older Cast Members get docked 1.5 points on Disneyland's attendance policy, a new Cast Member doesn't get any points charged to them regardless of how late they may be to their shifts."

I would really like to know where Al got this information. Especially since that is sooooo wrong its not even funny. I know for sure this doesn't happen in attractions (hence we lose so many CM from points from being late and calling in) so what new hires is he talking about? And if it was true in attractions, it is against Union Regulations since it is not written in the contact. I guess Disneyland is really desperate.

• Directly directed

YAY!! For DCA and Sleeping Beauty, I'm excited where it's going!!

• Minion FOREVER!

Wow!

Al, that was one of the more news breaking updates in a while!

Thank you!

My take:
    * The DCA update sounds A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! Is there info on the new name? (or are they going to keep 'DCA')?

* Great news that Tony is the "overseer" for DL. Can't think of more capable hands in WDI. And in that case, I'm not surprised that he's looking at PM tracks as being one of the top priorities.

* Still sad about Gallery closing in NOS, but really happy that it sounds like it'll re-open somewhere.

* Also it sounds like the "Cinderella" theme of the new suite was a rumor. (please say it's so...)

* The whole CM and HR situation is really sad. But eventually it's going to come to a head ... one way or another. But IMHO, although the quality *has* noticeably gone down, it's surprising how many of them still do a wonderful job. (on the other hand, my expectations are really low at this point).

* So totally stoked that the Castle Walkthru is coming back!! (I love dioramas!!)

• Rock Star Minion

Money doesn't buy employees... it only makes it easier to work there.

If the job sucks.. no money will lure or retain good employees.

Fix the work environment. It's a longer term solution, its more affordable, its marketable, it may even be deductible in a way

Money does NOTHING to weed out bad employees.. only lure more of them. Money will not make an employee happy at work. Money will not make a bad day seem better.

Realistic wages are part of the story, but they are not the solution to the problem. Employees need to be happy and enjoy their job if they are going to give a solid performance to the customer.

Getting $4 more an hour may keep a good employee from quitting tomorrow, but it is not going to put a smile on their face next week.

The cafeteria part of the article was a good example of how improving work conditions and perks improves the overall situation.

Make Disney the best place to work... people will line up to work there, even if the pay is not the top.

That song is sung over and over and over and in the most successful companies. Why everyone here is so hung up on 3-4 dollars an hour is absurd. We already know DL's key employee demographic. 3-4/hr is not going to change their lives dramatically, just improve quality of life. It's not going to open the flood gates to some new magical workforce that so dearly wanted to work at disney, but the extra $400/month was keeping them back.
    1. Increased wages are only for those that deserve it. (Unions might have a different idea of who's deserving.)
    2. Increasing wages attracts MORE applicants, allowing TDA to choose only the better ones.
    3. Wages need to be high enough to attract currently employed high-quality people away from their current employers, since apparently that is where the high-quality people are.
    4. Yes, improving the environment is always a good idea. A two-pronged approach is needed. It used to be that being employed by Disney was a positive bullet point on one's resumé. That doesn't seem to be the cxase anymore.
    5. If the current level of full-time employment wasn't needed year-round, DL could get back to a smaller core of experienced cast members in an off-season, and hire top-quality part-timers in the busy season. But, darned if that one cause of all of DL's problems has resulted in less of an off-season, forcing TDA to hire more full-timers. Eliminate the cause.
    6. Increased pay helps ease the "bad" sides of the job. Relative to the alternatives, that is.
    Last edited by sediment; 07-17-2007 at 01:56 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

If you switch jobs everytime someone offers you a little more money... you'll be a sad person in the long haul.

Just ask all those people that left their 'happy' job just because someone lured them with the thoughts of IPO.. big payoffs.. and reward just to have the world crash down around them... or find out their boss was crummy and a crook, etc.
    I agree.
    It would have to be a lot of money for each job switch. Switching jobs introduces a risk: A less known future.
    For a front-line CM choosing between In-N-Out and DL, it's money, convenience, hours, security, fun, and current/future prestige. I don't think these people have the same issues as "all those people" you are referring to.

All TDA has to do is be better than In-N-Out (in general). No one can live on front-line DL wages, and I don't know why anyone would assume this. High-schoolers and college kids on holiday breaks and weekends. Some time, in the past (looking at Pressler, mostly), the better CMs that had worked at DL while going to college stopped getting promoted to TDA building. And that's what part of filling the front-line CMs with youngsters was supposed to do: find the best ones and promote them upward.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Berd View Post
    Ugh to the name changes of the towers at the Disneyland Hotel. First they dump the classy "Granville's" name, now we get these hokey new names? Bleh. What's wrong with keeping the old names as a link to the past?

Great update again, Al! Thanks!
    It's because most people are unaware of the significance of the names. So rather than explain it, they ditch them. That's the reason I was give when i asked about it. "People don't know what Granville's means, but know that we opened in 1955", hence "Granville's" named in honor of the founder's wife's maiden name, get's simplified to the vastly uninspired, "Steakhouse 55".

Ironically, in discussions about this with friends, I remember stating, "What's next, they rename the Bonita tower for the same reason?" I'm not surprised that I turned out to be right. I can understand the Marina tower, as the marina's been gone for years, but it's sad to see yet another piece of the properties' history chucked in the garbage to cater to the lowest common denominator. Would a simple plaque explaining the significance be so hard instead?

I'm just glad they're not tearing the towers down themselves.....

Now where's the fiber optic redo of fantasy Waters I've heard about? ^_^

As for the rest, great update, as usual, Al. I'm really pleased to hear about the reopening of the walkthrough. I've long missed climbing up into the castle. It was always a special part of the park, Barbie doll wannabes and all. It was especially sad given the petty reason it was gone. It's even better to hear they'll be updating it.

I like Baxter's plans for fixing what shouldn't be broken. A revamped Peoplemover would work wonders now that the subs are back. Might a rerunning Jolly Trolley or Mike Fink keelboats be far behind?

The only downside is the Gallery conversion. I'll miss being able to visit Walt's second apartment. It's been closed everytime I've been there lately, so it's been awhile too.It's also kind of sad that random people will get to sleep there, when Walt never got to. I just hope they pay respect to that portion of the structures history. Perhaps finishing it as it would've been had Walt not died at that time. Then maybe this will be interesting. I wonder if it'll still be on the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour.

I was thrilled to hear of the Billion $ plus investment in Anaheim by Disney! The imagination runs wild and I can only hope they *will* let out spoilers to really get us all excited.

That being said, I have to echo the sentiment reflected by so many others - I would think that with all the change, they would finally fix the HR mess they have there.

I was horrified to think that a teen on drugs could be running Space Mountain and Disney has *no* drug screening policy? Isn't this a lawsuit waiting to happen? I would think Disney's legal team, being notoriously aggressive, would have required all manner of CYA tactics in the hiring of people...

Furthermore, how could such a premier brand as Disney not provide a decent wage - competitive in quality with In & Out, Costco, etc... I can't believe it!

Who can we write to as shareholders to see about getting this fixed for "our" employees? Is there any way we can call for some sort of shareholder proxy initiative for the next company meeting if this isn't fixed?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast