• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/9: The Disney Bookshelf Checklist, Updated

The handy listing for Bookworms returns, with links to find titles you may be missing. Discuss Kevin's list here, and also use this forum to suggest any other books he may have missed.
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• World Traveler

Re: 8/9: The Disney Bookshelf Checklist, Updated

Nice list!

How can you have "214. Walt Disney's Legends of Imagineering and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park (Kurtti)" if it hasn't been released yet?

• MiceAge Columnist

I toyed with putting the upcoming Gordon/Kurtti "Art of WDW" in there too. The quick answer is that I include things in that list once I've bought them on Amazon, and my purchase of #214 was done many months ago... the book just hasn't come yet! (actually, I think maybe the money hasn't been charged either, but the point being, once it's on autopilot from my perspective, I add it to the list).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MA Reader Since 2003

Looks like some great reads. Thanks.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Looks fascinating, I would love to have those books, being both a book freak and a Disney freak.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Banned User

So Kevin...I'd give you $50 for the entire collection lol
    Seriously, I have like only 6 books in that list.

• Skipper at heart

Where's "Place Stamp Here: Disneyland Postcard Irony Through The Eyes of a Former Cast Member"? It's available at towerofthefourwinds.com/store, That book is hilarious! Plus it's got a lot of cool old Disneyland postcards in it too.

• Closed Account

Kevin, while I of course appreciate the in-depth reviews, I sure would like to see your list include some kind of star or number ratings--you know, just to give us a quick idea on whether you think a particular book may or may not be worthwhile. There are just so many books, and it's such a handy reference, but if you give one book a 3 (on, say, a 1-10 scale) vs. an 8, that may help me and others determine where best to spend our book-buying money!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Kevin, while I of course appreciate the in-depth reviews, I sure would like to see your list include some kind of star or number ratings--you know, just to give us a quick idea on whether you think a particular book may or may not be worthwhile. There are just so many books, and it's such a handy reference, but if you give one book a 3 (on, say, a 1-10 scale) vs. an 8, that may help me and others determine where best to spend our book-buying money!
    This is a great idea, Steve. My 2008 version of this list will have those stars!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: 8/9: The Disney Bookshelf Checklist, Updated

I would personally have the Mouse Tales books on the must have lists. Plus any copies of the E Ticket you can get, although those are magazines (bind 'em; pretend it's a big book).

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Banned User

I am glad I have Disney Story, I had no clue it was out of print!

• Directly directed

I consider myself to have a well rounded library but there were books I had never even heard of! Thanks for the list although I was surprised that How to Be Like Walt wasn't on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I toyed with putting the upcoming Gordon/Kurtti "Art of WDW" in there too. The quick answer is that I include things in that list once I've bought them on Amazon, and my purchase of #214 was done many months ago... the book just hasn't come yet! (actually, I think maybe the money hasn't been charged either, but the point being, once it's on autopilot from my perspective, I add it to the list).
    I just preordered "Legends of Imagineering". I LOVE Kurtti's stuff..."Since the World Began" is one of my favorite Disney books, period.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Well... I only have one of the books: #204, "Walt Disney World" (1986). My parents bought it on their only trip to WDW, and since I was a kid, I've always (esp. when I was a kid) loved this book for giving me a bit of a look at a Disney park, when I'm not there. Sadly, though, as a kid, I scribbled all over the Country Bears page with a highlighter. God knows why. The spine is starting to get... well, not so great. But, the pages and content are still in excellent shape! I still love this book, esp. because I can see some areas when they were still in their glory days. Heck, even of some that are no longer open (River Country). If you can find this book, I recommend it!

Had no idea about it's rarity, though. Cool.

• is too darn hot.

My parents have Disneyland: The First Quarter Century in their collection, but I never got a chance to look at it. It's in storage now. Can anyone tell me anything about it? (My dad is somewhat of a Disney nut. He's bought parts of Main Street window displays and has original cells from Fantasia as well as original concept art).
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!